The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #926
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Make it handle

nice bit of info, so the more angle on the rear ( to some extent) the more it will help in the valving compensation for the rear shocks ?
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #927
theastronaut

I had this thought after reading Rob's last post on shock angle. If the angle changes the effective valving, could brackets be made to make the angle easily adjustable? In effect making somewhat of an "adjustable" shock?

Something like this might could work if there's room for it. Just throwing the idea out there.

Last edited by theastronaut; 12-06-2011 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #928
robnolimit

When mounting coil-over shocks measure the degree of angle and use the chart to find your angle correction factor (ACF). Then divide the desired spring rate (DSR) by the angel correction factor (ACF) and the result will be the actual correct spring rate (CSR) that you need.

Angle 10º 15º 20º 25º 30º 35º 40º 45º
ACF .96 .93 .88 .82 .75 .66 .59 .50

Here is a chart of the shock/spring rate corrections
2011 Truckin' Throwdown Champion
GoodGuys 2010 National Champion

Proud to put our products up against all others!
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #929
robnolimit

Let's throw a new topic into the mix. SAFETY I know, I know, I sound like my dad (a pretty sharp guy) How about we agree that, while there may be more than one 'right way', some stuff is just WRONG, and it's OK to say it. You might even help somebody by doing so. In the past two weeks, our lead tech, Sulivan, has been buried in fixes (take over, or repairs from other shops/installers). Some of those are kinda scary. Here's a short list
1. '56 F-100, volare clip. The clip was installed at the wrong angle. Upper A-arm sloping down in the front 3* (it should be 4* to 5* back) Resulting in negative caster, no antidive, and one squirley ride. lol-400+hp 351C. 24 labor hrs to fix. Should never have been drivin on a public hwy.
2. '58 GMC, camaro clip. Again , wrong angle. At least there are aftermarket chevy parts avail. 18 hrs to modify the clip & lower arms, and $435 for some APC adjustable upper arms.
3. '66 chev P/U, Typical bagged truck. Came in on a flatbed, hit a curb, fence, ... Just basic poor install safety. No clamps on any air or brake lines. An air line split, and as the truck dropped and bounced, it tore off a rear brake hose. Probably 5k in damage for the lack of 20 bucks in clamps, and maybe some new brake lines.
4. This is the sad one, a really nice '68 mustang. All aftermarket suspension, pro-touring style car. On a freeway onramp, on the throttle, the rear suspension came apart. Lots of carnage. The culprit? No one ever tightened the jam nust on the link bars. 5 minutes could have saved this one. One of the ends pulled out of the upper three link bar. The rear axle rotated around, drive shaft pulled out of the trans, ...bad, bad, bad stuff happened. We're still fixing this one, and will be for a while.
Make a pledge to use things like anti-sieze, locktite, a tourque wrench, the instructions, a motor manual, ...... you know, be a professional. - just sayin.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #930
Conundrum

I'd like to add something Rob, take your time, plan it out and think it through, don't get in a hurry and rush it or you may end up with one of those costly mishaps.

97 GMC reg cab short bed, 4.3V6 / 5spd, daily driver
220,000 miles, all stock for now
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #931
BMERDOC

I couldn't agree with you more. I am currently repairing a truck that had $3000.00 worth of damage because they guy installed his emergency spare backwards, then drove on it crushing and bending brake and suspension components. I have to fix things that "mechanics" repaired on a regular basis. Not saying anyone here is incompetent but planning, execution and pre-flight checks are very important.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #932
Mechanic77

I'm with you Rob.....I've been mechanic'n for 10+ years, and it makes me furious to see what some other mechanics call a "repair", it gives all car guys a bad name.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #933
robnolimit

Amen, brothers! Poor quality work makes us all look bad, and it hurts our industry. As for a guy who feeds his kids by building cars, our overall image is important to me, and to you guys as well.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #934
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Never sieze rules
messy and grows but works o so well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #935
robnolimit

Another topic shift here. This weekend were going to go and some testing with brake pads. We have two trucks, The 'Bullit and the J.T., and a friends 67 camaro pro-touring car going out. For each vehicle, we have five sets of pads. Two from Wilwood, Hawk, Baer, and a premium OE set. We're going to do 70-0, and roadcoarse laps on each pad and compare.

How about you guys, any experience with pads? any favorites?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #936
Mike Bradbury

Maybe I'm missing something but are you saying you are going to test all these different types of pads on the each of the trucks? If the Bullit has one brand of caliper how are another brand of pads going to fit it. I understand if they were a caliper that was close to OEM specs several brands would fit, but I was not aware that a Hawk or Baer made a pad would fit in a Wilwood caliper or vise versa. I will be interested in the results.
I have a Lincoln 9" rear and have been having a heck of a time trying to find anything but regular OEM type pads. I would like to find a pair of premium pads if I could.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #937
Spla'nin

Exclamation Somebody Stop Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
Another topic shift here. This weekend were going to go and some testing with brake pads. We have two trucks, The 'Bullit and the J.T., and a friends 67 camaro pro-touring car going out. For each vehicle, we have five sets of pads. Two from Wilwood, Hawk, Baer, and a premium OE set. We're going to do 70-0, and roadcoarse laps on each pad and compare.

How about you guys, any experience with pads? any favorites?
Good topic Rob...Including brake tire warm up or cold turkey? How important are the turns / braking in the very first part of the course that contribute to "putting the heat" into braking tire system to get it to the level to make a good time...? The driver skill / adaptability factor is huge when the conditions change dramaticly...much respect pick up dude
I suppose a pyrometer and air temp recordings may be of interest also...
Old 12-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #938
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but are you saying you are going to test all these different types of pads on the each of the trucks? If the Bullit has one brand of caliper how are another brand of pads going to fit it. I understand if they were a caliper that was close to OEM specs several brands would fit, but I was not aware that a Hawk or Baer made a pad would fit in a Wilwood caliper or vise versa. I will be interested in the results.
I have a Lincoln 9" rear and have been having a heck of a time trying to find anything but regular OEM type pads. I would like to find a pair of premium pads if I could.
The JT has stock calipers, and rear drums, we have four sets of pads for it, OE, hawk, and two from Wilwood. The 'Bullit has Baer brakes, they use a corvette pad, as does the '67 Camaro. We have muliple sets for each to swap and test. I've never done any testing like this, so, we will be making this up as we go along.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #939
robnolimit

Re: Somebody Stop Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spla'nin View Post
Good topic Rob...Including brake tire warm up or cold turkey? How important are the turns / braking in the very first part of the course that contribute to "putting the heat" into braking tire system to get it to the level to make a good time...? The driver skill / adaptability factor is huge when the conditions change dramaticly...much respect pick up dude
We got some good info from the pad manufactures, yes on the heat gun, didn't think to check air temp, - good idea. We will have three drivers, all with 'some' experience. should be fun

Old 12-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #940
robnolimit

Re: Somebody Stop Me ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spla'nin View Post
We got some good info from the pad manufactures, yes on the heat gun, didn't think to check air temp, - good idea. We will have three drivers, all with 'some' experience. should be fun

Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #941
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Will these be 'streetable' pads, or full-on race compounds? Will you record noise and dusting? This should be cool

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #942
Ackattack

I used some hawk pads on my trans am when I was autocrossing it and had good results (I don't remember which line of pads I was using, it was ~2000-2001) So when it came time to get pads for my 68 I went with Hawk HPS (IIRC).

Basically my brakes suck. My setup includes new drilled vented rotors on the front with dual piston aluminum calipers from POL and the Hawk pads. The Rear are LT1 camaro PBR sinlgle piston calipers. New brake lines also. They have sucked from day one. In trying to correct the problem I have gotten a new power brake booster, 72 corvette manual MC, manual brake proportiing valve (originally I was using a disk-disk proportionting valve from CPP). I even took the calipers off and sanded on the rotors and pads to remove any glazing.

The trucks stops OK, probably not quite as good as a stock front disk setup. The poor braking is what really kept me from attempting the autocross at the KC goodguys show. My next step is to change the pads, as it seems like they just aren't gripping. I'm thinking of using some EBC pads (not sure which ones at this time)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #943
BMERDOC

On JT's rear drums have you considered crossdrilled drums and "skeleton" brakes? I would love to see either a stock backing plate water jetted to reduce weight or a complete skeleton backing plate! These drums are sold by Danchuk for 55-57 Chevys. The skeleton brake were fabbed up by Hollywood Hot Rods for one of their projects. They were used on dirt track cars, I think.
Attached Images

Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #944
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Have you ever looked into cryogenic freezing the parts? (taking the parts to hundreds of degrees below 0). I read an article about the process being done on the brake parts, the result was cooller brakes after the same run.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/

http://www.metal-wear.com/index.html - they have a facility in Palo Alto, CA

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd

Last edited by jayman68; 12-13-2011 at 09:45 PM.
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:20 AM   #945
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Will these be 'streetable' pads, or full-on race compounds? Will you record noise and dusting? This should be cool
Hmm, noise? didn't consider that one. As far as dusting, I don't know that we'll get enough time on each pad. - If we do see dusting, then it would be extreme.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #946
robnolimit

I have twi thoughts here. 1. rear GM calipers MUST have the e-brake connected and used from time to time to keep the rear calipers adjusted. 2. I have used a few brands of aftermarket calipers for the stock brake. "drop-in" upgrades. NON have ever performed better than stock. Try swapping in some used OE calipers for a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackattack View Post
I used some hawk pads on my trans am when I was autocrossing it and had good results (I don't remember which line of pads I was using, it was ~2000-2001) So when it came time to get pads for my 68 I went with Hawk HPS (IIRC).

Basically my brakes suck. My setup includes new drilled vented rotors on the front with dual piston aluminum calipers from POL and the Hawk pads. The Rear are LT1 camaro PBR sinlgle piston calipers. New brake lines also. They have sucked from day one. In trying to correct the problem I have gotten a new power brake booster, 72 corvette manual MC, manual brake proportiing valve (originally I was using a disk-disk proportionting valve from CPP). I even took the calipers off and sanded on the rotors and pads to remove any glazing.

The trucks stops OK, probably not quite as good as a stock front disk setup. The poor braking is what really kept me from attempting the autocross at the KC goodguys show. My next step is to change the pads, as it seems like they just aren't gripping. I'm thinking of using some EBC pads (not sure which ones at this time)

Old 12-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #947
robnolimit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman68 View Post
Have you ever looked into cryogenic freezing the parts? (taking the parts to hundreds of degrees below 0). I read an article about the process being done on the brake parts, the result was cooller brakes after the same run.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/

http://www.metal-wear.com/index.html - they have a facility in Palo Alto, CA
YES. I have used this process many times. For those that haven't heard of this, Cryo, freezing to absolute zero, -273*K, (really cold) has an interesting affect. At Absolute zero, the electrons in molecules stop moving. So, at close to absolute zero, they start to even out the spacing of their orbits, respective to one another. As the temp comes back up, they keep the new spacing, not really stronger, but even strength down at the molecular level. This has a great effect on resisting cracks, and material failure. Brakes would heat and cool more evenly. We cryo'd big inch Harley motors, and ran three seasons on the lower end without a teardown (fuel bike) Where do I learn this stuff

Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #948
theastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
On JT's rear drums have you considered crossdrilled drums and "skeleton" brakes? I would love to see either a stock backing plate water jetted to reduce weight or a complete skeleton backing plate! These drums are sold by Danchuk for 55-57 Chevys. The skeleton brake were fabbed up by Hollywood Hot Rods for one of their projects. They were used on dirt track cars, I think.
Those may not be a good idea on a car that sees street use in the rain. That design would allow more water in, and wet drums don't stop well! Would work on a track only car though.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM   #949
BMERDOC

I would argue that it would do the complete opposite. Stock drums/backing plates retain water which they cannot shed, drilled/open drums will instantneously shed water through centrifugal force and an vented concept. It would also shed heat a lot faster, not to mention a slight drop in unsprung weight.
Easiest Alignment Ever!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #950
theastronaut

They would allow water to drain out easier, but also let water in easier. Drilled or slotted shoes would have the same effect without letting water in.
Posted via Mobile Device