The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-30-2022, 01:00 AM   #926
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: My Dusty 71 GMCe Electruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain X View Post
Cuttin' for the very first time...
Like a surgeon,
See your heart beat, one last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJhw6Rwm_n0
ha ha yup Weird Al is my co pilot every time I wield the blade
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 09:05 AM   #927
Gregski
Post Whore

so since our son is home from Uni for the weekend I am using that as an excuse to stay quiet and clean this whole weekend so no cutting, drilling, or grinding

so it's time to fandangle with the Chevy Volt onboard battery charger, I put it off long enuff

my logic went like this, hey you're converting a Chevy truck, wouldn't it be cool to use some electric Chevy parts on it...
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2022, 09:07 AM   #928
Gregski
Post Whore

this thing has more tantacles than a Syberian octopus, so we start with the one that runs from the onboard charger to the "traction" battery

traction is just a fancy way of saying the big high voltage battery pack

this thing is incased in an aluminum pipe for you know Armageddon
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #929
Gregski
Post Whore

I wasted many a beers trying to unpin that thing, as it proved futile, so I cut it in half and will offer 50% of the cable to the highest bidder, or the best dirty joke muszyngr at yahoo dot com
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2022, 09:09 AM   #930
Gregski
Post Whore

my 8 track collection
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2022, 09:13 AM   #931
Gregski
Post Whore

this next high voltage orange cable connects the onboard battery charger to the charge port where you plug the wall charger into

and it looks like the Barberians who pulled it, cut the proximity wires from the charge port, so I chased those down
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #932
Gregski
Post Whore

and lastly I divorced the 12 volt battery leads (black and red wires that simply run to the regular car battery) from the CAN control side wires which control the charger, tell it when to charge and when not to type of thing
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2022, 09:18 AM   #933
Gregski
Post Whore

here are the minimal components to bench test that charger (think running an engine in an engine stand)
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-03-2022 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:21 AM   #934
Gregski
Post Whore

I got it working and I can see amps on the high voltage orange wire going into the battery, it reads 3.5 amps which is approximately half of what I have it set to ie 8 amps, but that's because I am on only 120 volts AC
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-03-2022 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:28 PM   #935
tutone

Don't know if you have entertained this thought or not. Lets peer into the future and let's say you pull up and there's an open charger at the Whole Foods and you plug in for a top off. Some tree hugger comes up and calls the cops and insists that you don't have the need or (right) to have your ancient old truck taking up (his or her) space.
I somehow have it in the back of my mind that you will have an uphill battle continually proving the existance of a vintage electric vehicle. Those people evidently have never heard about electric vehicles in the 1920s.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2022, 08:25 PM   #936
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Don't know if you have entertained this thought or not. Lets peer into the future and let's say you pull up and there's an open charger at the Whole Foods and you plug in for a top off. Some tree hugger comes up and calls the cops and insists that you don't have the need or (right) to have your ancient old truck taking up (his or her) space.
I somehow have it in the back of my mind that you will have an uphill battle continually proving the existance of a vintage electric vehicle. Those people evidently have never heard about electric vehicles in the 1920s.
highly unlikely especially since there are paths to registering these vehicles as electric in the state you are living in, will I register mine as electric, probably not, but in your scenario the party would have no merit to call the cops, I would be charging an electric vehicle

so far I have only heard of positive feedback from vintage electric car owners, everyone is like oh wow it's electric
Old 04-30-2022, 09:30 PM   #937
tutone

Good to hear. In our area of the US, electric charging stations are few and far between. The recent push for EVs is not at all supported by the infrastructure. I guess you pretty much rely on your home charge and fight over the 2 plug ins at your local chain restaurant around here.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:19 AM   #938
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Good to hear. In our area of the US, electric charging stations are few and far between. The recent push for EVs is not at all supported by the infrastructure. I guess you pretty much rely on your home charge and fight over the 2 plug ins at your local chain restaurant around here.
ah shoot that sucks, time to convert Monroe and advocate, lol
Old 05-01-2022, 08:46 AM   #939
LT7A

Man, just got caught up here. You are way out in front on this. How did you go about acquiring the knowledge?

Small q, just curiosity, didn't you already have a charger from a Tesla and now you have another one from a Volt? Our am I misremembering?

#3, will you be touching up the purple soon? ; )

Great progress man. Cool to see.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:09 AM   #940
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Man, just got caught up here. You are way out in front on this. How did you go about acquiring the knowledge?
hi there my friend, glad to hear from you and thank you, as far as how I learned this, mostly from this Irish block here, his contributions to the EV community are unparalleled:

here is a direct link to the first of his videos in a short series on this very Lexus transmission, that's how it all began for me

Lexus Toyota Hybrid Transmission Project 01 : Introduction
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2022, 10:14 AM   #941
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Small q, just curiosity, didn't you already have a charger from a Tesla and now you have another one from a Volt? Our am I misremembering?
Well look who's been paying proper attention folks, nothing gets by you sir does it. Yes indeed, I started out with a Tesla Model S gen 2 charger and then went out and bought one off a Chevy Volt. That would be like starting to learn how to drive in a Lambo and then saying you know what I think I'm gonna try a C10, ha ha

after actually getting the Tesla charger to work, I decided to go out and buy a Chevy Volt (first generation charger and a matching converter) then I found out there was a second generation set so I bought those two units as well.

YouTube video: Chevy Volt Onboard HV Battery Charger & DC-DC Converter (OBCM & APM)

At this point you may attempt to sum up what I said by asking, so do you now have a total of THREE different chargers, to which I would simply respons, NO, I also went out and bought one from a Tesla Model 3, ha ha so I have a total of 4 different onboard battery chargers to choose from
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-01-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #942
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
#3, will you be touching up the purple soon? ; )
ha ha, luv you bro, yes sir, just having some issues color matching it, lol
Old 05-01-2022, 09:44 PM   #943
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
hi there my friend, glad to hear from you and thank you, as far as how I learned this, mostly from this Irish block here, his contributions to the EV community are unparalleled:

here is a direct link to the first of his videos in a short series on this very Lexus transmission, that's how it all began for me

Lexus Toyota Hybrid Transmission Project 01 : Introduction
That's pretty amazing that one guy's contributions could teach you enough for you to get this far along. Of course, that has a lot to do with your interest level and aptitude as well. This definitely interests me, but I'm still pretty well lost, through no fault of your own. I could probably make a simple diagram of charging, converting, and powering, maybe storage, but that's about it. At some point I glaze over and start thinking, metal box with wires. Bigger metal box with small wires. Little metal box with just a few wires. And hey! That looks like a transmission...with a couple of big wires... I'm not sure I have the aptitude, but I am enjoying following along.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:50 PM   #944
LT7A

Quote:
Well look who's been paying proper attention folks, nothing gets by you sir does it. Yes indeed, I started out with a Tesla Model S gen 2 charger and then went out and bought one off a Chevy Volt. That would be like starting to learn how to drive in a Lambo and then saying you know what I think I'm gonna try a C10, ha ha

after actually getting the Tesla charger to work, I decided to go out and buy a Chevy Volt (first generation charger and a matching converter) then I found out there was a second generation set so I bought those two units as well.

YouTube video: Chevy Volt Onboard HV Battery Charger & DC-DC Converter (OBCM & APM)

At this point you may attempt to sum up what I said by asking, so do you now have a total of THREE different chargers, to which I would simply respons, NO, I also went out and bought one from a Tesla Model 3, ha ha so I have a total of 4 different onboard battery chargers to choose from
Ok, I see... But don't you only need one? I mean, won't it be hardwired in and so that the others will just sit on the shelf? Or are you going to try each of them out and see which one works best? Or are you starting a collection? Not trying to be silly.. okay maybe a little bit.. but definitely curious why you have so many.

Ok, I can only drive one truck at a time, and that hasn't stopped me from getting... uh, more than one... so no implied criticism, just curiosity.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:00 PM   #945
LT7A

Quote:
ha ha, luv you bro, yes sir, just having some issues color matching it, lol
Cool! Purple FTW!

Said no one, probably since 1995. No offense to anyone who might be a fan of graphic violets.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:55 PM   #946
Mike Bradbury

Quote:
highly unlikely especially since there are paths to registering these vehicles as electric in the state you are living in, will I register mine as electric, probably not, but in your scenario the party would have no merit to call the cops, I would be charging an electric vehicle

so far I have only heard of positive feedback from vintage electric car owners, everyone is like oh wow it's electric
Good to know, I am going to install an outlet on the side of my truck so I can park close I rumble up up with my glass packs popping, hop out and plug in Oh the looks I would get.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 09:53 AM   #947
DoubleDubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bradbury View Post
Good to know, I am going to install an outlet on the side of my truck so I can park close I rumble up up with my glass packs popping, hop out and plug in Oh the looks I would get.
Great idea! And if anyone asks, you can tell them it's how you keep your beer cold while you are shopping.
DoubleDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:52 PM   #948
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDubya View Post
Great idea! And if anyone asks, you can tell them it's how you keep your beer cold while you are shopping.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:11 AM   #949
Gregski
Post Whore

I learned a lot over the weekend, and today I had to rest my brain and do something with my hands....

Commence Operation Porcupine
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2022, 12:12 AM   #950
Gregski
Post Whore

the idea is a modular design that will put crane operators out of business

first we load up the bottom three cell modules (each weighing in at just under 30 lbs)
Attached Images