The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2016, 05:29 PM   #951
Rods57

Re: Dutch '59 Fleetside Longbed

Cool your brave, i have never tackled a trans. Good luck, cant wait to hear how it goes.
Rods57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #952
Advanced Design

Have fun with the tran's Kees! I've never seen the drain plug install process on a trans before.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:06 AM   #953
lower50's

Looks like it has seen better days for sure. Good thing you where at home when it died.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #954
Nev68

Well done on getting it moving under its own power, even if ti didn't last long.

Good luck with the trans build.
I bought all the parts (I think) to rebuild my T700, should be fun.

How is the handling and steering with the Jag front end?

Need a bigger garage so I can keep more cool cars alive

My build, a long way to go.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595909
Nev68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #955
reaper71

I guess it wouldn't be Hot Rodding without some Drama!! Sorry to here the trans was shot...
I have no doubt you can make it better than new!

Mark...
reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:31 PM   #956
RockinKees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods57 View Post
Cool your brave, i have never tackled a trans. Good luck, cant wait to hear how it goes.
Thank you!
Manual boxes, I did hundreds of them on big trucks, but I've never tackled a automatic trans neither
But with the right friends who put you in the right direction...
Trans is great now, it shifts like new!!
I thought, what's all the hassle about?? It's easy!!

Quote:
Advanced Design
Have fun with the tran's Kees! I've never seen the drain plug install process on a trans before.
They say everybody did it in the Ol' Days, if they can, why not me??
(Don't try this at home!! Mine came out great )

Quote:
lower50's
Looks like it has seen better days for sure. Good thing you where at home when it died.
Yeah, was very lucky!! It could have happened when I was at the gasstation, but I think I've become good friends with the truck

Quote:
Nev68
Well done on getting it moving under its own power, even if ti didn't last long.

Good luck with the trans build.
I bought all the parts (I think) to rebuild my T700, should be fun.

How is the handling and steering with the Jag front end?
Paul, who helped me with the trans, said the 700R4 is a bit more difficult then the TH400, much more parts in it, but it's do-able at home
I drove a few miles today, the front is a bit stiff in the suspension (XJ12) but it feels good. It has to be aligned in the near future. I must say, it drives a lot better then stock suspension!!
I've never had such good brakes on an American car!!
Stance is just right!
Pics are coming soon...

Quote:
reaper71
I guess it wouldn't be Hot Rodding without some Drama!! Sorry to here the trans was shot...
I have no doubt you can make it better than new!

Mark...
Exactly!!
Far from finished, but now I can drive whenever I want!!
Happy!!!!

1959 Chevy Fleetside Longbed
My build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643426
Kool Guyz CC
Instagram: _King_Kustom_
RockinKees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #957
stevespg

kees, yes, it was my mail; I did use what i think is xis. the springs are shorter than all the other jag ones i have seen by 2 inches, and stiffer as the coils are thicker.

i used all 3 shims, but i think i can remove 2 or maybe all 3. the truck sits just a little high at the front. I think there is 10 inches under the front bumper to the floor. If i measure the angle of the front wishbones i can drop the height by 3/4 inch and still have a good angle on the wishbones and the subframe

I was very impressed with the drive when i took the truck for its first proper journey. it rides very well, the springing is firm but comfortable, damping was very controlled. I found i have a front anti roll bar from a jaguar with sports pack, it is i think 7/8 dia. the truck is quite flat on corners, though with a bench seat it is not easy to stay in a good position on the seat. I did find the rear springs (i used all 4) were a little too soft, and the truck sat lower than i wanted to keep the wishbones parallel. i used AVO adjustable shocks now, with 4x350 lb springs and adjustable base and damper. i still think i could do with firmer springs, so i may swap out 2 of the 350 lb for 2 500 lb....maybe

for now it is safe and stable at 90mph....but a little (ok a lot) of wind noise so 75 mph is comfortable.
stevespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #958
RockinKees

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespg View Post
kees, yes, it was my mail; I did use what i think is xis. the springs are shorter than all the other jag ones i have seen by 2 inches, and stiffer as the coils are thicker.

i used all 3 shims, but i think i can remove 2 or maybe all 3. the truck sits just a little high at the front. I think there is 10 inches under the front bumper to the floor. If i measure the angle of the front wishbones i can drop the height by 3/4 inch and still have a good angle on the wishbones and the subframe

I was very impressed with the drive when i took the truck for its first proper journey. it rides very well, the springing is firm but comfortable, damping was very controlled. I found i have a front anti roll bar from a jaguar with sports pack, it is i think 7/8 dia. the truck is quite flat on corners, though with a bench seat it is not easy to stay in a good position on the seat. I did find the rear springs (i used all 4) were a little too soft, and the truck sat lower than i wanted to keep the wishbones parallel. i used AVO adjustable shocks now, with 4x350 lb springs and adjustable base and damper. i still think i could do with firmer springs, so i may swap out 2 of the 350 lb for 2 500 lb....maybe

for now it is safe and stable at 90mph....but a little (ok a lot) of wind noise so 75 mph is comfortable.
You can lower the front also by lowering the pan where the spring seats, I was told if you lower it by a 1/2" the front drops about an inch. They make plates or bushings between the pan and the lower control arms.
I didn't try it 'cause mine sits great as it is.

I find the rear a little soft too, I had to weld 2 inch pieces in my shock brackets to get the right height. I also use all four of them.
Where did you get the coilovers?
I haven't gone much faster then around 60mph, feels good though!

I helped my son with bringing him a lounge set for in the garden, there was not even a floor in the back
So yesterday and today I got in the bedwood, but as I'm still on a budget I did it my way. I know some pieces are not sitting as it should be, but it works for me as it sits.

Few days ago I was at my mothers house and wanted to go home....starter didn't worked right, as if I was grinding the flexplate... Thought I had the wrong starter because there always was a metallic sound when you started the truck.
Found out that the starter stood too far away from the flexplate.
Earlier I had made a fillplate between the starter and block, but that made it worse and removed the fillplate again.
So i had the starter checked, it was the right one, flexplate was good, no bearing play at the cranckshaft... what could it be???
I give it a good thought and I milled 3 mm off of the starter where it bolts to the block...
Got back at my mothers house where the truck stood (without the starter ), bolted the modified starter on and it never ever had started so nice!!!
Anybody else had such a problem with a remanufactored starter? It came on the truck when I got it.
Normally you put fillplates in, but I had none and had to mill the starter...
So for now, problem solved

On to the next problem!!

Some pics, just because

Last pic for today, made by my wife in front of our house:

Kool Guyz CC
Old 07-21-2016, 06:06 PM   #959
reaper71

That came out really nice Kees!!

Like the wood as well I think it looks great.

Mark...
Old 07-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #960
Katrina/10

Way cool.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #961
Advanced Design

I like the wood Kees. It looks good. The pictures in front of the house are very nice. Saw some similar ones on FB.

I've never came across a starter mounting boss that needed milling.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #962
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Nice!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #963
lower50's

Very nice. Are you leaving the bed like that? I think it suits the truck the way it is.
1967 Jeep CJ5 1.9L TDI 33X13.5X15 Mud Grapplers.
1952 GMC 9700 p/u 7.3L diesel on air, dually
lower50's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #964
oldman3

Looks great, that's a way to solve a problem....Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:07 PM   #965
RockinKees

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
That came out really nice Kees!!

Like the wood as well I think it looks great.

Mark...
Quote:
ChuckDriver
Nice!
Thanks Mark and Lower!
Yes I keep it as is, I'll rely on Mother Nature, she gonna make the wood grey

Quote:
Advanced Design
I like the wood Kees. It looks good. The pictures in front of the house are very nice. Saw some similar ones on FB.

I've never came across a starter mounting boss that needed milling.
07-21-2016 10:20 PM
Quote:
oldman3
Looks great, that's a way to solve a problem....Jim
Yes, problem solved by milling starter boss, I also never heard of this, but it worked!
Those pictures were made by my wife, Doug, I think she made the pics of the flowers....

Quote:
ChuckDriver
Nice!
Quote:
Katrina/10
Way cool.
Thanks Chuckdriver and Gary!!

A lot of people find it way cool, when I drive around, always getting thumbs up!!

So on with some small updates.
I wasn't really happy with the wipers.
I got on my back under the dash and came to the conclusion that it had to be modified again.
First I made the circle smaller, so that the turn or revolution of the wipers is smaller. That's way better!!

It's hard to see maybe, but at both sides it's 8mm shorter.
Next I found out that the right side wiperrod came at 180 degrees, thus right at, the connection, which made a bad sound. If it was going any further, then I was in real trouble, the rod would go the other way and cause damage.
So I lengthen the rod by an 1/2", problem solved again

Only have to buy some wiperblades from an old Bug, the modern flexwipers are no good on this Ol' Truck

After driven a few miles now, being adjusting the trans the way I want to shift it, I also found it time to get my much needed Rockabilly tunes in the truck.
I had saved the old sheetmetal glovebox, build by the PO, modified it a little, and made a "Radio Mount".
So when time allows, I mount it in the truck, so no finished pictures yet.

Kool Guyz CC
Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #966
stevespg

kees

truck looks great. so impressed with what you've done, and the support you've given me via mail - many thanks

AVO shocks were direct from AVO in UK. i found when i went to le mans that i had to take some camping stuff (ok....a lot of camping stuff as my 18 year old daughter came too), my rear wishbones were not quite level anymore, the diff was too low, so if the truck was ever loaded with weight, i am sure it would become worse, so i just fitted 450 lb springs to the rear. i could increase the ride height, but i think the ride height is about where i want t to be and the rear was pretty soft before.

I will remove a couple of the front shims too, which will drop the front 3/4 inch .....

when I'm finished messing with the ride height and suspension, i will get the geometry checked so it is better than i can achieve with string and a ruler!, but it feels good
Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #967
RockinKees

Quote:
kees

truck looks great. so impressed with what you've done, and the support you've given me via mail - many thanks

AVO shocks were direct from AVO in UK. i found when i went to le mans that i had to take some camping stuff (ok....a lot of camping stuff as my 18 year old daughter came too), my rear wishbones were not quite level anymore, the diff was too low, so if the truck was ever loaded with weight, i am sure it would become worse, so i just fitted 450 lb springs to the rear. i could increase the ride height, but i think the ride height is about where i want t to be and the rear was pretty soft before.

I will remove a couple of the front shims too, which will drop the front 3/4 inch .....

when I'm finished messing with the ride height and suspension, i will get the geometry checked so it is better than i can achieve with string and a ruler!, but it feels good
Thanks for your kind words, Steve!!
I'll help where ever I can, I got lots of help too from this board!!

Are you willing to give me the partsnumbers on those shocks via PM? Their website isn't very clear to me....

My ride height is now perfect, haven't touch the ground yet. I have it at Jag specifications now, had the raise the back a little. Front is good.
Already had a few hundred kilo's in the back and think the shocks are too soft too.
Try to get a few Miles every day to get all the bugs out

Kool Guyz CC
Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 AM   #968
stevespg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Thanks for your kind words, Steve!!
I'll help where ever I can, I got lots of help too from this board!!

Are you willing to give me the partsnumbers on those shocks via PM? Their website isn't very clear to me....

My ride height is now perfect, haven't touch the ground yet. I have it at Jag specifications now, had the raise the back a little. Front is good.
Already had a few hundred kilo's in the back and think the shocks are too soft too.
Try to get a few Miles every day to get all the bugs out
kees, i never got a part number, i called them, told them i needed adjustable shock for a xjs rear axle, which has a 2.25 inch dia spring at 9 inches long, which they can supply at any poundage in 25lb increments (i think). shocks arrived 2 days later and a perfect fit, but because I (and you) laid the springs down a little, it was necessary to stiffen them from my original guess of 350 lb to 450 lb. it is "just about " ok on the 350b springs, but if 2 folk sit on the tailgate it would drop 3 inches... it may be possible for me to put a 350 and a 450 spring on each side of the axle to get as little more adjustment, i will fit these at the weekend and report.

the stock jag ones, which were new dampers and springs were definitely too soft as the diff sat too low vs the wheels, and i couldn't move the dampers anymore upright as the springs would clash with the chassis. the avo springs are a little skinnier, but not enough to move the top mount any wider.

hope that helps,
Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #969
RockinKees

Okay, Thanks Steve!
I'll wait on what you'll find out about the rating.
Then I will sent them an email for a quote....

Kool Guyz CC
Old 08-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #970
RockinKees

Music is in

Also made new kickpanels:

Put in the largest speakers that would fit
I also want to make speakers in the back, just have to think how and where exactly.

Today I was hauling stuff around:

Is the truck so big or is that motorbike so small????

That thing won't start, he asked me if I wanted to take a look at it

Kool Guyz CC
Old 08-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #971
Advanced Design

Truck looks great Kees! And it is cool to be using it like a truck!
Old 08-07-2016, 03:13 AM   #972
RockinKees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Truck looks great Kees! And it is cool to be using it like a truck!
Thanks Doug!!
That's what those trucks are built for

If the weather stays nice today, it will be Lettering Sunday
Trying to paint the letters on the tailgate and paint the Fleetside emblems on the sides.
And if I get really hungry, I might even pinstripe the Spears a bit

Kool Guyz CC
Old 08-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #973
RockinKees

Well, the weather was bad yesterday.
But today a lot better, so I mananged to get the first stage done.
Putting up the paintbooth
When I parked this way, a little boy with his dad walked by:" Look dad he needs three parkingspots!!"
Well, in Europe they drive only small cars

Lettering done, only must do the outlines in white:

I also painted the Fleetside enblems on in Ghost style, gloss black on satin black.
The letters are the original font, only at 80%:

Now it's waiting for good weather again for the outlines, and then clean all of it.

Also a question for the Task Force owners:
Where did you mount your fire extinguisher?
Can you show me??
Thanks!

Kool Guyz CC
Old 08-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #974
reaper71

CAME OUT REALLY NICE Kees

Mark...
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #975
stevespg

Quote:
kees, i never got a part number, i called them, told them i needed adjustable shock for a xjs rear axle, which has a 2.25 inch dia spring at 9 inches long, which they can supply at any poundage in 25lb increments (i think). shocks arrived 2 days later and a perfect fit, but because I (and you) laid the springs down a little, it was necessary to stiffen them from my original guess of 350 lb to 450 lb. it is "just about " ok on the 350b springs, but if 2 folk sit on the tailgate it would drop 3 inches... it may be possible for me to put a 350 and a 450 spring on each side of the axle to get as little more adjustment, i will fit these at the weekend and report.

the stock jag ones, which were new dampers and springs were definitely too soft as the diff sat too low vs the wheels, and i couldn't move the dampers anymore upright as the springs would clash with the chassis. the avo springs are a little skinnier, but not enough to move the top mount any wider.

hope that helps,
kees

for me the 450 ago are working well. they compress a small amount when i drop the truck back to the floor, and only a little more when i sit on the bed. I'm happy with these.

the lettering on the truck looks great BTW