The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
1956cameo

My 1956 cameo project thread

Well I think I have posted on all of my old trucks except for the one my forum name is after.

I always wanted a genuine cameo but was never able to find one in my price range. I chased down alot of leads on cameos that usually ended up bieng small window long wheelbase stepsides. So when my father in law told me of a cameo about 25 minutes from my house I blew it off. After months of him asking me if I went to see the cameo and me saying no or I didnt have time he finally drove me to go look at it.

When we pulled up to the guys lot of old cars and junk I said " Holy (explitive) thats a real cameo." He said "I knew you didnt think I knew what I was talking about." Well needles to say I struck a deal up with the previous owner and a week later brought the truck home.

It is a 1956 factory original cameo. It was an original v/8 truck coming with the 265. Someone unfortunately changed the original engine out with a cadillac engine. She is going to need alot of work but seeing that the cameos are rare I feel it will be worth the effort.

Sorry these pictures aerent the greatest. I had pictures of it on my trailer that were much better but it appears they got deleted.

The original color is red with white trim, however someone painted it silver many years ago. The drivers side bed panel is smashed up but I got another drivers side cameo bed panel that is in great shape with the deal.

Unfortunately I am currently using the bed as a storage bin. That usually spells disaster for progress, but I have been working on it regularly.

These pictures are old. Now the engine has new plugs, wires, a rebuilt carb, and a new coil. The engine is a 429 cadillac motor out of a 65 Calais. Believe it or not it runs like a top. So much so that I will fix the truck up enough with that motor that I can drive the truck to local cruise nights.

The transmission appears to be a turbo 400. It takes a little revving to get moving but the transmission goes into both forward and reverse and moves in both gears. Of course once I got the engine running and transmission moving the water pump started leaking. I am sure more and more issues will rise since it has been sitting for many years. I also need to do some electrical work, redo all the brakes, and of course need new tires.

1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote