The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Cool thread.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
i love this thread! the planes look to be (douglas?) hellcats, and that looks more like the mississippi stream!
Thanks! I like it too.

Part of todays haul. I had to go to Dawson, MN early this morning. You know how towns somehow get associated with certain things, like corn, or fish or whatever. This place got stuck with gnomes. Must of had to pick last...

But when life gives you lemons...build a park around them?

On the way home I took a slightly different route and stopped in at Lunds Auto Salvage in Franklin. Never been there before, so I wanted to see what kind of stuff they had. He has 1 1972 C-20 he is selling complete for $1000. It's a little rough, sorry no pics. Probably the best thing about it is it has AC and a dual battery set up. But on the way out a couple trucks in the trees along the driveway caught my eye.

An IH COE...

And an old Ford F3...

Couple more pics, just trying to be artsy.

The next place I stopped at was an auto shop in Fairfax where an AMC Javelin was parked out front (pic later). I drove around back first and thought this 1950 Panel truck was pretty sweet...

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Now the rest of the story. So I saw this javelin...

Which caused me to stop and look more, and saw the panel truck, but then I saw a big pile of bikes at the corner of the shop. So I go look cuz I need a few parts for a bike I'm building. I didn't see what I need there but go in to ask the owner if they had more parts. The owner, Ken, said the bike stuff belongs to a woman that works on them part time. The stuff outside was bikes that she had parted out and is the scrap pile. Then he showed me the stuff inside, which was about another 50 or more bikes and misc parts.

Here is a harley davidson bike she is restoring, she actually has a couple of them...

This one is a Firestone Pilot...

This one is very similar to what I'm building, a schwinn hollywood...

I tell him I'm looking for a banana seat and sissy bar, they had a few and only $10. Great! How about some ape hanger handle bars like the ones on that hollywood bike. Yep, but just one and she needs $20 for them. Again, no problem. I wanted to find a good rear fender and he offered me a nearly complete schwinn stingray for free and I almost blubbered, but I needed to go get some cash to pay for the handle bars. So I go across the street to get lunch and cash, and he followed me over to get something to drink, but he called the woman who owns the bikes and it turns out she sold that stingray to a guy on wednesday and she is restoring it for him. Crap. Oh well. Can't win them all. But I was happy to find some of the things I needed and have a source for other stuff down the road.

Here is mine with the new parts on it. Yes, I know it's a girls bike. But its a schwinn Bantam and they used the same frame for boys or girls bikes, but had a bolt on cross bar for the boy bikes, which is another part I'm looking for. Once I have all the pieces I'll be repainting it to match my Jimmy.

So, back to the shop. They do car restorations. The Javelin is either a future restoration, or could be bought as is for $1500. It's a complete car, just has pieces off it in the shop. Needs body work of course. But this is the first vehicle I saw when I walked in...

They were also working on a 440 Dodge Coronet, and a big old caddy convertible, but check this out. Another Cougar, an XR-7...

I goofed off here long enough, need to get home. I get his card and hit the road. And figured this old square body tow truck was worth a pic. This one is here in Sleepy Eye.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just a short update tonight. I had to work in Austin today and I only took one picture. Just as I got off the freeway I saw a police car with the lights flashing on the street in front of me. I could see a dead animal on the street in front of him and thought, "that's an odd place to hit a deer". As I got closer I realized what it was though (not for the easily squeamish)...

I cropped it down. Looks like it was a prize winner. Has a nice ribbon. Too bad he was going to the spam plant.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
Bomp

Road Hog.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Another pic from University Ave in St Paul.

Yes, custom cat furniture.

This thing has been sitting for sale along hwy 169 by Jordan for almost a year. I finally stopped to take a closer look. It's pretty rough, but would make a cool project. Lots of rust though.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

Very nice collection of interesting photos ..thx for stopping and taking the time to take them and then share them with us.. what does the sign in the window of the panel above tell us..? the amount they want for the truck..
Old 09-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Very nice collection of interesting photos ..thx for stopping and taking the time to take them and then share them with us.. what does the sign in the window of the panel above tell us..? the amount they want for the truck..
Thanks. I think they were asking $2200.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

One day last week, one of my stops for work was actually one of my favorite junkyards. Once I had the work portion done of my visit, I wandered the yard a bit. This is at Misgens Aut Salvage in New Richland and they usually keep some older cars in their u-pull-it area.

Old iron...

Cool COE...

T-birds...

56 Chevy...

Nice cow catcher on this GMC...

Purple interior on this GMC and I believe it came this way from the factory. The SPID has a special paint code on it and the purple is under all the interior parts, on the floor, behind the gas tank, etc.

67 C-30 dually...

A nearly complete Studebaker pick up...

Early UPS truck?

Not the most comfy seat to spend your day in. Bet the ride was smooth as a demolition site...

These two were in the pile waiting in line to be crushed

Right after I left to hit the road for my next destination I was going by a lake with a boat landing and this was in the lot. Gotta love when people actually use the trucks they love as they were intended. Well ok, maybe they weren't exactly designed for towing a boat specifically, but pulling a load, hell yeah. Back in the day people used their car to pull the boat.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 09-22-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Thursday was just one of those days where the odd signs and a juvenile sense of humor aligned...

Always thought it was poker in the rear...

One for the ladies...
Old 09-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #10
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Again on thursday I went through a short stretch of Hwy 218 just south of Austin and several things were worth stopping to check out. First was this cushman scooter. I think they were asking $1500.

The same place also had this old Lincoln. Always liked the style of these and love the suicide doors. They were asking $2000 and it doesn't run...

Then a couple miles down the road a body shop had this GMC for sale...

Later in the day and I was about 30 minutes from home and my youngest calls me in a panic because she got on the bus for an away volleyball game without her shoes and pads. So after driving about 300 miles for the day, I stopped long enough to pick that up and haul it to her. Good thing it was only another 15 miles up the road. Anyway, in Morton is this chevy. I've seen it around before. I kinda dig the odd 2 tone with the off white.

Last pic of the day. Had my Jimmy out for a ride and saw this GMC at the body shop where I hang out. It was for sale a year or two ago and it is a really nice truck. They guy got a steal at $2500.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

He did get a steal on "OLD BLUE", Can't remember seeing a hood ornament like that either. Nice work HG

Buddy of mine had one of those Continentals, black, I drove it more than he did. And Cushmans and Vespas were everywhere when I was a kid. I guess the first mechanics I ever did was on a Vespa or lawnmower

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 09-22-2013 at 01:50 AM.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
He did get a steal on "OLD BLUE", Can't remember seeing a hood ornament like that either. Nice work HG

Buddy of mine had one of those Continentals, black, I drove it more than he did. And Cushmans and Vespas were everywhere when I was a kid. I guess the first mechanics I ever did was on a Vespa or lawnmower
I just noticed that both of those last 2 trucks had hood ornaments. I know they were not factory items.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #13

The hood ornaments were oe factory items on 1978-79 gm top line trucks. Not on the 70's truck. Still I nice hood ornament. Thanks for the photos.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
toms68cst

I love this thread HG. You have a great eye for photography. You gotta love the upper Midwest for old cars, trucks and machinery.

Do you ever get into North Dakota?

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 463 View Post
The hood ornaments were oe factory items on 1978-79 gm top line trucks. Not on the 70's truck. Still I nice hood ornament. Thanks for the photos.
Welcome. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms68cst View Post
I love this thread HG. You have a great eye for photography. You gotta love the upper Midwest for old cars, trucks and machinery.

Do you ever get into North Dakota?
Thanks! Many of the pics are just taken with my blackberry, and all I do for editing is usually just cropping the pics. I don't get into ND much anymore. 20 year ago my work territory was the red river valley from south of Fargo north to the canadian border. So I know the east side pretty well. When we lived up that way and visited the in-laws in Idaho, we drove through on I-94 all the time. Always have to stop and look at the Roosevelt park.

Looks like I hit my monthly gigabyte limit with photobucket.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #16

They look like this https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...XLBm61X4j_jWuo
http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...lTiKHDdF5A.jpg
and the cost was in or around the $125
Old 09-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #17
Ta2Don

Awesome Thread!

Thanx for taking the time to do this!!!

Oh Yeah! Keep it up, love seeing the pics of Old Iron!!!
Proverbs 27:17
US Air Force Retarded errr Retired
My '65 Stepper Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533920
My '60 Rusty Patina Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...66#post7402266
My '72 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post7204359 SOLD
Ta2Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #18
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

A couple weeks ago I made the same exact road that I did today and before I left this morning I debated bringing the camera along and didn't. So todays pics are with my low res blackberry.

My first stop was 140 miles away in Garner, IA. Last time I drove past this cool t-bird parked in someones front yard. I didn't take a pic then, but since it was still there today I did. Really in great shape. Baby blue with what looked like a turquoise interior.

Then I went to Mason City briefly, and back on the road towards home. I had a couple places in Albert Lea I had to check on though. I parked next to this old Ford at my 1st stop there. I think the owner was in the cafe next to my stop.

I liked the effort that went into this VFW building front. My dad was a member. I don't know if my time served during the first gulf war qualifies me because I was no where near the middle east. Just poking holes through the water on the sub. In any case, here's a salute to you guys that did go into harms way.

Other than the drive home, my work was done for the day and my favorite junkyard is along the way, and my tool bag was in the back seat, so that's where I headed. I get off I-35 in Ellendale and my wandering eye barely spotted this but it was enough of a glance to get me to drive around the block for a closer look.

One more pic from the junkyard. This, my friends, is what you call a grill. That should be grafted onto a beetle or something. (not)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #19
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today I had to go to Hastings. It's a river town on the Mississippi SE of St Paul. I think I posted some pics earlier from down by the river. Before I get to far ahead of myself, I had this somewhat rare site shortly after I hit the road. A sun dog, in September. The little rainbow spot to the left of the sun.

Usually only see these in extreme cold on very clear winter days when there are ice crystals in the air. This one is just from having a perfect angle with the clouds that are thin enough for the sun to shine through. Well at least that's MY theory.

Anyway, on to Hastings. My 1st stop was at the ConAgra flour mill there. This is actually a pretty historic place. I've driven by it and over the little river bridge next to it for years but this was my 1st work there. The mill was built around 1856, 2 years before MN was a state. It's on the banks of the Vermillion River and adjacent to a waterfall. If I can remember correctly, one of the early mill owners was a guy named Graham, who invented graham flour which is used to make graham crackers. Also started durham flour here which is now used primarily for pasta. This is the 4th largest flour mill in north America.

The south side of the river here is a park. After my work was done I crossed over to the park to look around. It was worth the time and then some.

The boiler room is at the upper right under the little smoke stack.

From what they told me there is still a brass water wheel under there that could be put back into operation. I didn't get to see it though. I wanted to get down to the river bottom though so I started walking the trail until I found one that went down there. The trail itself was a beautiful walk, but a bit treacherous in places.

Part of the trail believe it or not.

A little rapids downstream of the falls.

Canyon wall

This rock on the river bank looked like it was either a fossilized pile of guano or maybe alien foot prints (you know they have always been with us )

Gotta love watching the fall colors come in. These bushes are always the 1st to make the change around here.

My break was over, time to get back on the road. Heading out of Hastings to St Paul, crossing the new bridge. I don't know if the old one is being kept or torn down so another new one can go in its place.

Hours later I get back home and do a few chores, but the weather is beautiful and the forecast after Wednesday is not, so I'm thinking the Jimmy needs as much road time as possible. I feel like a rockstar driving that thing around.

So I go cruising. It's harvest season and the grain trucks are everywhere. Basically if the farmers can get any grain truck running, they will use it at this time of year. I past an OLD IH grain truck a few miles before I got home from work. But not as old as this one that was rolling through town while I was out cruising.

It was worth chasing down for a pic. And not that difficult with a top speed somewhere around 40-45 mph.

Heading NW tomorrow and over to Winona the day after that. Wonder what I'll see?
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Don't know what your going to see but I'm waiting to find out...keep it up, I luv this thread!!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #21
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Don't know what your going to see but I'm waiting to find out...keep it up, I luv this thread!!!
You're gonna love this then. It started slow but I hit the jackpot later in the day.

Driving north, going through Paynesville like I have a hundred times before. At the NW corner of town, just as you are leaving it really, is this salvage yard looking place that has always been packed full of rusting iron. It's always got the gates closed and I never see anyone around. Over the past couple years it looked like the place was getting cleaned out. Smaller piles, fewer old vehicles, etc. As I rolled past this morning I saw this for sale just inside the gates and planned to stop on my way home later.

Really nothing else through the day was worth noting. Just miles of tar and corn and soybeans, with a lake or tree grove occasionally going by. I almost forgot about the little white car until I was driving by again. I pulled over and got my camera out. Took a couple pics through the fence (seen above) and noticed some activity back in the yard. This old guy (Bert) saw me checking out the car so he walked out to the gate and let me in. The car wasn't his, it belonged to Mike who has a body shop back behind Berts salvage yard. So Bert calls Mike and tells him a guy is checking out his car and Mike rolls out on his bicycle and we talk about it.

It's a 1963 Triumph Harold. His dad bought it as a repairable back in 1966. It had minor damage front and rear, but he drove it as is for a few years then parked it. It stayed parked until the 1980's sometime when Mike got interested in it as a fun ride for his wife at the time. So he got it fixed up, repainted, drove it a bit but not really much, so it got parked again until about 1996. At that time he got it going for his daughter to drive. But she didn't really like it cuz it was gutless. She said it wouldn't even go more than about 45 mph. So it was parked again but remained as her car. She got married, moved to Colorado, then got divorced and needs some money so she tells dad to sell the car. Asking $3500 for it. It runs and drives, is solid with just a few edges of rust starting to show. It needs brake and clutch lines bled, a tune up, etc. Original interior and the car only has about 68k miles. If I got it I'd probably replace the driveline with something newer and stronger and make it a project, but I gots no money to play with right now.

While I'm chatting with Mike I show him pics on my phone of my trucks and his eyes light up and he says "You gotta come look at this project that just came into my shop last night." So we do.

Fabricated dash...

It's a long bed and the center section is designed to drop down in the back and slide out as a ramp to load bikes on it.

The story is that the guy has a chopper shop, but has hired out the truck to get built and it's been to more than a couple different shops and nothing has ever really been finished. So Mikes job is to finish it. It needs a lot of work. The driver fender is smashed up, it doesn't run right (vortec 350? I looked it over and noticed missing vacuum lines, and a few other problems) Having trouble with the air bag system, etc. etc. You can tell there was a lot of time and money stuck into it, and it should be pretty sweet if he can fix everything and make the owner happy.

The other car in his shop was a 66 Mustang fastback. It's Mikes first car. His dad bought it as a repairable and Mike fixed it up in highschool and drove it then. Back in 1974. He figures it's been parked since about 1978. He didn't really have a strong attachment to it but held onto it anyway. Now another daughter wants it and has begun stripping it and so they are fixing it up for her.

I've wasted enough of Mikes time so I go back to Berts place for a few more pics. I got his card and may end up doing some business with him down the road. More old iron...

A rat rod before rat rods were cool.

A Cockshutt...

This thing was just cool as hell. It's probably only 6 feet long and if I could think of a reason to have it I would.

The one rig that caught my eye, and is sticking in the bad spot in my brain that gets me into trouble was this one...

Love at first sight. A Benz diesel COE! How freakin cool is THAT! Bert had a friend up north that used this as a gas tanker for many years, but parked it a while back and wanted to get rid of it. Bert said "I'll take it." So he drove it back from Grand Rapids, MN last year. He disconnected the fuel and battery but said it ran and drove just fine. It actually was pretty comfortable. Exactly what I DON'T need. I didn't ask how much, cuz again, I gots no money to play with right now. Besides the fact that I have a 72 C-30 extended wheelbase flatbed in Idaho I need to bring back here some day soon to build as a car hauler. It's a damn good thing I live in town with no extra space or I'd be building up my own salvage yard.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #22
Ol Blue K20

Yep you're right, I like it. I'm glad you're so far away because I see yard art in that yard (I would want it all). I would get myself in trouble....

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Don't have much to add today, but I have one shot worth posting from yesterday in Winona. I was at a flour mill and during the tour he showed me a 900 HP motor that used to run 2 line shafts that turn rollers on the levels above. This was one of the old style motors you never see anymore. It is about 12' diameter. It was supposed to be removed by a scrap metal company but they just took the copper and brass and left the rest. The mill was not pleased.

I do have one location up north I go to that still uses a much smaller version of this motor to operate an air compressor that is the same vintage and still rolling strong. And I know where a couple others are at also. In fact I think you can see 1 in the pics I posted the other day from Hastings at the waterfall.

These old mills are incredible. This one still uses the line shafts (4 now) to turn the rollers used to grind the wheat into flour. Most of the rollers they have were built in the late 1800's and still have the original wood cabinetry on top of them where the grain drops down into the rollers. I should have taken a few more pics but some companies get a bit upset about that.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #24
Ol Blue K20

There's an old gold mine by my cabin and it still has the motor that drove the leather belts and it's only 4 foot in diameter. I used to think it was big...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 10-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #25
toms68cst

I remember those "jitterbugs" growing up in Maine. They were a pretty common sight peering out of the back woods in someone's back yard. Often made from model T or A cowl and a truck frame. I'm guessing a lot of them were made during the war when iron was at a premium.

http://s108.photobucket.com/user/hgs...7693f.jpg.html

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote