The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM   #76
Low Elco

Re: Project Little Black Truck

Non-update! Been Scheming on colors and wheels and stuff. Been driving LBT to work daily for a couple of weeks. Just enjoying the old bomber. Getting crazy is definitely on the back burner, but we may get a little sumpin sumpin done.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #77
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Non-update! Been Scheming on colors and wheels and stuff. Been driving LBT to work daily for a couple of weeks. Just enjoying the old bomber. Getting crazy is definitely on the back burner, but we may get a little sumpin sumpin done.
Black and peach pearl; break it with a bright purple. Sounds lame, but it looks trick in person!
Jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #78
Low Elco

Ok fine- I'll blab. We're Foo Fighters fans at our house. If you are, you've noticed one of Dave's favorite guitars is a 60's era Gibson DS-335 in this funky blue color. Kind of a steel blue, but it REALLY pops silver in the light. I kinda liked it a lot, and have also become a fan of 60's style customs and particularly the work of Gary Howard, who does these lush, soft metallic 60's style jobs. Just Gorgeous. anyway, I researched the guitar color, and turns out it's a one year only '60 Cad color called Pelham blue. I'm a dupont guy, and they don't have BC/CC formulations for the old colors, but the Gibson Custom Shop had a '92 Isuzu color that is supposed to be such a dead match that they use it. So I've had a tad made up, and it looks cool. What the hell, everybody has a black truck. Slammed static on a rake, polished wheels, Emblem free, possibly shaved handles, one fine process blue stripe down the body and a tailgate piece with silver leaf, and I have a big hard on for suicide doors, but I don't know if my ass can cash a check that big. Here's some examples of color-dig how hard it flops! Hell, who knows. Go ahead and laugh-

Name:  Dave1.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  9.5 KB

Name:  dave2.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  dave 3.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  8.8 KB

Name:  dave4.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  7.2 KB
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #79
Low Elco

PS- Glad you're still with us, JB! You've had me worried. What's the current plan?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:46 PM   #80
Bomp

Dig it Man!!
Ya know what I say, "if you're gonna go,,,,,,,go Nutzz"!
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #81
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
PS- Glad you're still with us, JB! You've had me worried. What's the current plan?
Same ol' here. Since you are also a fan of Gary Howard, You've undoubtedly seen the '61 Cad he built for Jimmie Vaughan (pretty much my favorite guitarist). It was at the Autorama this spring, and is just too cool for words. Seems like Gene Winfield did the paint on that car, though.

If it was me, I would still 2 tone the truck with black. If you like the blue, use that, and break it a couple inches below the hood/top of bed line. Break it with something bright (orange maybe?), and shave the trim. It keeps you from having to absolutely redo everything that is black, and will still look good. I would see what is in the color and perhaps tune it up a little bit. We made a silver a few years ago for a '91 Mustang I had. We started with '95ish Dodge truck driftwood, then quadrupled the flop adjuster, doubled the pearls, and added a bit of violet pearl. That car absolutely glowed when we were finished. Something like that with the blue would be pretty sweet.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #82
Low Elco

The Cad, Wertheimer's Cad, and the Green '57 truck in TRJ were the impetus behind the thought. I love that lush kind of look. Very much like Winfield's style as well. Was considering overreducing a bright silver and dusting the rockers a bit. Otherwise, not a 2-tone guy.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #83
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I think the contrast with the black would really make it come alive. I am not the biggest fan of them, but these trucks pull off an upper panel two tone like that well. Seeing JV's Cad in person, the green is a lot more subdued than how all of the magazines make it look I am not really a green fan, and I loved it.

I have been getting a lot more into grey and earth tones lately. I also like a lot of the high pearl content silvers too.

You got me with the '60 Caddy color. That is my favorite Cad of all time (I am kind of a tail finned Cad nut, too). One of the builds I have concocted in my head is a 60 Coupe (or 6 window 4 door, doesn't really matter) laid low with LS power and a nice, sedate color. I am picturing silver, but that could change at any time if I ever started building one. A good friend and I did a body swap for his dad- we used the remnants of my '94 Fleetwood that got punched in the side and swapped the body of an '84 Coupe DeVille on the frame. The frames are identical, so the '84 gained the LT1, 4L60E, and all of the aftermarket suspension under my Fleetwood in one shot. I want to do something similar to a '60, and try to possibly adapt the floorpan and firewall (at least the A/C) also.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #84
Low Elco

Love the body swap, I bet that was a change!
Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #85
Low Elco

Ok, I got off my lazy ass and did some thing to LBT. I got the 10's and 275's on it. I've been daily driving LBT, just kinda like bouncing along in the old pile. Went to the swaps yesterday, here ya go-

Name:  IMG_0625 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 824
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0615 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 829
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0637 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 820
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0636 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 820
Size:  90.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0635 (768x1024).jpg
Views: 826
Size:  107.0 KB

Whadaya think?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #86
Low Elco

Also found a possible blend color for the blue- ice blue, off a brand new Strat.

Name:  IMG_0614 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 845
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0613 (1024x768).jpg
Views: 833
Size:  39.8 KB

Gonna have a sample made up this week, maybe spray a little.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
Bomp

Lookin good.
Like the color.
Are you going to do a complete tear down like Yeller?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #88
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Lookin good.
Like the color.
Are you going to do a complete tear down like Yeller?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd like to, but the obvious space limitations lead to time being a factor. It also needs a fresh motor. All these things lead to our old friend cash being an issue, so I dunno. That's how I'd really like to do it. I'll probably just get it dropped and rebuild the SHOT front end first. Keep it as a beater for a bit. It runs ok, just smokes on startup. Sadly, I have all the body parts to fix the cab, and a cert enough to cover the bed. Wife and I's work are both sketchy between now and the end of the year, so we'll see how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #89
jlsanborn

Been away for a bit and glad to see a little bump on LBT! Nice meats dude, it really is a cool truck. All that color you're looking at is cool too. How low you thinking of going? Bud Light can?
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #90
Low Elco

That's usually the target!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #91
Low Elco

UPDATE! Well, not really. Bought a sample of the ice blue yesterday. It must be good if Momma goes "oooh, that's pretty!" I have one of my little sign things that I don't like the paint on, I may shoot it up to see how it blends. Hopefully pics soon!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #92
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Huge Foo Fighter fan here too and I was looking at that guitar color also as an option for the Jimmy. Decided to go a different direction obviously but would like a guitar that color. I believe the reproduced that exact guitar in very limited numbers and the prices when they go for sale are around $3000. At the concert it will almost flash completely silver in the lights. I've been to their shows twice and will be going the next time they play here too. The last album was outstanding and walk is probably one of his best songs ever.

Have a great day dude.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #93
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

What's in the blue?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #94
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Huge Foo Fighter fan here too and I was looking at that guitar color also as an option for the Jimmy. Decided to go a different direction obviously but would like a guitar that color. I believe the reproduced that exact guitar in very limited numbers and the prices when they go for sale are around $3000. At the concert it will almost flash completely silver in the lights. I've been to their shows twice and will be going the next time they play here too. The last album was outstanding and walk is probably one of his best songs ever.

Have a great day dude.
Just downloaded some more over the weekend. Wasted light is growing on me.

Glad to hear from you, hope you're well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #95
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
What's in the blue?
I have no idea. It didn't print the mix tag. It's been 10 years since I mixed paint, I have a store I trust. It looks good, though, makes me wanna shoot it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #96
Big Rat

I'm watchin you! Get going on the metal dressin so I can get goin on more learnin!

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #97
Low Elco

For anyone interested-

Dave Grohl Blue is Dupont Chromabase H9623K, '92 Isuzu Astra Blue Mica

Strat Ice Blue is Dupont Chromabase 4692K, '65 Ford Galaxie color.

Had it, thought I'd throw it out there.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #98
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Good to know. I may use that for a future project, like a guitar maybe, or motorcycle, or dune buggy or cobra kit, or sumthin....
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #99
TchncnDen

Quote:
Oh hey, Gonna drop Yella 1 coil and a 2" block in the back. I want some real world results on the control arm move mod. I wanna do it to both of mine, but I want some concrete answers first.
I did this mod on my 71 last weekend at the same time I upgraded to the 73+ steering box and rebuilt the rag joint. My real world results are awesome, you gotta do it! My entire front end (ball joints, tie rods) were replaced as part of my rebuild. The truck rode nice but was like driving a 40 year old truck. After the caster mod and new box it is like driving a sports car.
TchncnDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #100
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Good to know. I may use that for a future project, like a guitar maybe, or motorcycle, or dune buggy or cobra kit, or sumthin....
That's why I threw it up, hope it helps!
Posted via Mobile Device