The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #76
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Re: '71 Chevy C10 LWB

My tank does have the evap lines on the passenger side. i looked last night. if you are gonna come through call my cell and let me know please. 217-799-6076. Hope the eye is getting better.
nasqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #77
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Ordering different paint. Shania Twain comes to mind..."I feel like a woman" cause I keep changing my mind on paint. lol I am going with Summit Racing paint system. Single stage Acrylic Urethane Ultra Blue Pearl. I'm not gonna two-tone it right now, just keep it simple and take the extra time and try to shoot the inside of the cab instead of doing the two-tone.

I got a better used grill assembly, much nicer rear tail light moldings, and a gas tank that wont leak!! Thanks to Todd for letting me know to change it BEFORE it got painted.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #78
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the paint from Summit Racing this morning. It should arrive on Weds/Thurs he said. I will take all the other stuff back and will get my money back for the stuff I'm not gonna use. I got the dura-block 7 piece kit with the 220 grit roll. The painter told me last night in two weeks his garage will cleaned out and ready to shoot it. Let's hope this time it works out, I'm so ready! lol.

I also ordered a pair of Summit Racing Headers for the truck. It has stock manifolds now and just doesn't sound quite right. It has turbo mufflers and hopefully these headers will give it a better sound and a little better performance.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #79
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here is the pictures of the new bed floor The hardest part will be trimming the center board.
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #80
Hardesty454

Well that's neat. Never thought of over laying on to the steel floor.
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #81
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

I am going to use my truck so I am making the bed floor removable. I will be able to take it out to carry rock, mulch, or whatever. This weekend I will get it stained and varnished the next Weekend. Right at $100 for entire floor versus a lot for another bed.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #82
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Things done the last few days:

NOTHING....ugh...
Old 08-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #83
Fattback

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasqar View Post
Ordering different paint. Shania Twain comes to mind..."I feel like a woman" cause I keep changing my mind on paint. lol I am going with Summit Racing paint system. Single stage Acrylic Urethane Ultra Blue Pearl. I'm not gonna two-tone it right now, just keep it simple and take the extra time and try to shoot the inside of the cab instead of doing the two-tone.

I got a better used grill assembly, much nicer rear tail light moldings, and a gas tank that wont leak!! Thanks to Todd for letting me know to change it BEFORE it got painted.
I laughed out loud at the "I feel like a woman". Seems like from day one I have been like that on my truck. The bed floor is a great idea.

Great build thread. Subscribed

Rob
Posted via Mobile Device
Fattback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #84
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Thanks Rob. My wife is pretty much sick of me changing my mind. LOL.

I opened the paint the other day to look at it and "holy bedsides batman" I really am excited about painting it now. Pretty awesome looking in the can so the truck should look pretty good.

With the son's birthday party this weekend, I haven't taken time to work on my project but just hanging around the house to get it ready. We have installed new central air and furnace last month and now the electrician is here for the third straight week rewiring the entire house....ready for some normalcy....like...say....working on an old pick up truck!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #85
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Finally an evening that was productive on the truck! It took me about 3 hours, some 220 grit sandpaper, my new Durablocks, and some Cedar Tinted stain and got most of the boards for the bed done except for the varnish part but that will have to be another time. The rest of the boards will get stained tomorrow night when I get home from work. I have decided to put a diamond plate tool box in the bed so I can keep things that I will need and it wont look all cluttered up. I will post pics of the progress of the bed as soon as I get them uploaded.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #86
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Fattback, what part of Ok are you from? My wife has lots of family in Edmond.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #87
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

I like the idea of the removable bed floor. Nice work man.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #88
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
I like the idea of the removable bed floor. Nice work man.
Thanks brother. We all know with a family, our hobby can be very difficult but very rewarding. My wife and daughter will be excited to not have to ride in the "ugly gray truck" anymore!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #89
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Success tonight.

I got the bolts removed (subliminal message "cut, beat, cursed at") and the bed is ready to come off except for the wiring harness. I had a hitch installed and I cannot figure out where to unplug it so I will have a friend come down tomorrow and unhook the wires.

I think I will get a power washer and hit the frame and differential while the bed is off so it is a little cleaner. If I use rustoleum spray paint, what colors is recommended? Is everything flat black or satin or what color has been the most successful for a truck that will be driven?

I know I have seen people talk about POR15 but I don't know that I want to go that far but I may if I am convinced. This isn't a frame of resto or a magazine cover truck, it is something that will get driven and probably scratched and dented from the family enjoying it.

Last edited by nasqar; 08-27-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 PM   #90
Hardesty454

There's a color called chassis black. It will match stock matte black. Fairly inexpensive. Where's your pic!?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 08-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #91
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

I have two wonderful laptops at home that will NOT save a picture to them. No one can figure out why. I have to wait until I get my work laptop because it resizes them and loads them so quickly. I have them in my email but have never been able to load from a yahoo account.

The bolts that I removed from the bed were as thin as a chopstick in places....most snapped off but the two by the bumper had to be cut off.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #92
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here are some pics. The wood still isn't varnished yet, but most of it is stained. Natural Cedar Tone.

I haven't screwed the boards down either so you will see some warpage which will go away after we secure the boards.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #93
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

We are gonna load the truck up in the morning and take it to the painter!!! What an exciting day it will be tomorrow. He wont be able to paint it right away but it will be there and slow progress will be made by him. Hopefully done within two weeks so we can do our big car show at our local airport.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #94
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

The bed has been delivered to the painting dude!! He said it looked pretty good for someone that doesn't know how to do bodywork. He will touch up some spots that was missed thank goodness.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #95
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here some updated pics:

FYI: If you are going to transport your bed this way....you should make sure to put down some blankets or something so the bed rails don't get scratched up, lol, that was a lot of work wasted.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #96
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

From the looks of the frame, I do not think the bed has ever been off this truck. The frame looks very solid everywhere but definitely can use some clean up.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 PM   #97
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here's a little history about our family and these trucks. I cannot remember anyone in my family NOT having a 67-72 chevy truck at any time in my life. My Gpa had to many to count and my uncle and my mom had some also. Well last year my Stepdad passed away and my mom has become very bored. When she learned I was gonna sell the truck, she pulled my wife aside and talked to her about it. To say the least, the last 4 months has had my mother very involved with this process. I still call her Mrs. Goodwrench (growing up she changed the oil in my dad's vehicles!!!)! She pushes me to finish it all the time and has even went out and bought some parts for it without me knowing it. Today she came home with a shelter for the truck. She didn't want it sitting outside this winter after all the work we put into the truck. It is so funny to watch her look at it, inspect it, and constantly is asking questions about my plans. So many stories about father/sons or father/daughters....this is one of the few that may turn into a son/mother!
Old 09-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #98
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

The headers should be installed by weds night!! Whoo Hoo it may actually sound like a truck. It is horrendously quiet right now, even with turbo mufflers on it. It has a stock Jasper replacement motor in it currently and I don't think it has enough cajones to make the turbos effective.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #99
Hardesty454

Looks great! Love the story as well. Keep up the good work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 09-04-2013, 01:35 AM   #100
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

Here is some progress from today. My cousin came over to put these on since I worked a 16 hour shift, lol. They should be done tomorrow night!! These came from Summit Racing and it included bolts, gaskets, and everything he needed to install them. Pretty kewl.
Attached Images