The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2010, 05:27 PM   #76
Slowleadmccey

Re: Painting my 69' GMC this weekend -Rustolium style

[QUOTE=rstewart09;4330932]Not real good pictures but mine was painted with a roller and rustolium 2 years ago. It has sat in the garage most of the time since then as it still has a few things to finish on it and life gets in the way sometimes. In these pictures it hadn't been wet sanded and buffed yet. It has as good a shine as any single stage paint I see. I have had many people see this truck and swear I am lying to them when I tell them how it was painted. Its not perfect or show quality but I could take it to any cruise in and not be ashamed of it and no one would guess how it was painted. It is a lot of work but the price is right. I used 2 quarts of royal blue and a quart of white. You need to thin the paint well and put it on thin by working the barely wet roller over an area till its smooth. If applied right there is very little orange peel and that leads to less sanding between every 2 coats. This is more work than spraying but if you don't have a compressor and gun and no where to spray then this can be done in the drive way cheap with good results.

What color is that blue? I've been trying to nail down a color.

1970 GMC C15 Sierra Grande Custom
Deo Volente

Last edited by Slowleadmccey; 12-04-2010 at 05:28 PM. Reason: font size
Slowleadmccey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #77
spike38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
IMHO means "In My Humble Opinion"? Does the word humble come to mind when you re-read the above post?

It really is sad that there are members that feel the need to talk down to guys painting their cars with Rustoleum or anything other than conventional automotive paint finishing methods.

Some people don't have the equipment to spray a car with conventional equipment, nor do they have a spray gun or an adequate compressor. Nor do they have the money to buy said equipment or a place to use it. What they do have is a lot of time, a little money and the nerve to try something unconventional.

I say support the guy, help him if you can, but don't rag on him for doing something that has been proven to work, but doesn't meet you personal standards.
Great post!!!!

Spike
spike38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #78
C. M. Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post

I say support the guy, help him if you can, but don't rag on him for doing something that has been proven to work, but doesn't meet you personal standards.
Thanks for the correction Lakeroadster, but would you mind showing me where I was talking down the idea of using this kind of paint,(Rustoleum), on classic vehicles,(beyond the paint's own limitations used as an Auto-Paint)?

Or was my posting this one guy's site of how he did his corvair, somehow only showing the 'lookin-down-my-nose' side of using this kind of paint?

I've done some very inexpensive paint jobs and in some very unprofessional/questionable locations, and with some highly make-shift equipment, but at least they lasted without near as much worry and re-work as using Rustoleum might have.
Or should I have also shown how Tempra Paint,(that's the basic water-based paint type that can be found in most kindergarden schools), and a some cans of hairspray as a top-coat can be made to look better,(and possibly last longer), than most of the wonderful "7 Stage" paint jobs that GM was turning out in the late 80s and early 90s? (Anyone else remeber all those chipping, flaking, peeling, cracking, dulling, and oxydizing "Expensive" vehicle paint jobs back then?)

... Ya know, I might have been having a little fun with how I expressed my post,(and please pardon me if anyone here may have taken offence to it in any way), but I was only trying to express that a good paint job should be done on these beautiful, classic trucks... even if it takes waiting and saving up a hundred bucks more for real Auto-paint, that can be properly painted over by the next guy doing a job on it without having to sand and completely strip all that non-vehicle paint off. Or possibly even asking if there was someone on this site that might be willing to open his shop or come down and help the would-be painter to do it right on his vehicle?

But that simply can't be, at least this type of thing just isn't done any more... ?

But "Humble" is how I meant to come across and humble is where I stand. I'm a very firm believer in "Pay It Foreward" and if I can actually help someone do something the "right way", all I might ask is for them to return this favor is by maybe helping someone else, at some other time, when and however they can!

But you are most welcome to take what I have expressed in my above post as "Unsupportive" if you wish to.

Michael

Last edited by C. M. Wolf; 12-04-2010 at 06:56 PM.
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #79
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

You are a man after my own wallet!!! The paint looks above average knowing it has some orange peel BUT you will get rid of it!!

I am going to do my truck with Rustoleum and I went out and purchased some equipment to spray it. The compressor was almost $100 and the gun $30 at Menards. This would double the price for "better" paint. Until recently I would never have been able to afford this extra stuff. I have tried for a year to get anyone to help me here in Indiana and I couldnt get anyone to give me a moment of their time. I havent asked anyone on this site but I honestly didnt think to either. That would be wonderful if someone would do that.

I am going to spray my truck but I applaud anyone that does anything to improve their own ride. It is to easy to sit around and feel sorry for ourselves because of how our trucks look. Improving the qualities of our trucks within any means we have is what this hobby is all about. Rock on Silverado! Good Luck and I love the pics so far.........
nasqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #80
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Wolf View Post
Thanks for the correction Lakeroadster, but would you mind showing me where I was talking down the idea of using this kind of paint,(Rustoleum), on classic vehicles,(beyond the paint's own limitations used as an Auto-Paint)? ...........

Michael
Here Ya go ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. M. Wolf View Post

Don't get me wrong here, Rustoleum is darned good paint... if your painting "Lawn Furnture".

IMHO

Michael
I read your post as kind of tongue in cheek right up 'till the zinger at the end...... and it appears others did too based on their support of my comments. I don't want to come off though as singling you out. Other threads on this same topic seem to be littered with naysayers. It has been proven that Rustoleum is an effective way to do a budget paint job for the entry level do-it-yourselfer crowd. The reality is these Alkyd Enamels are what were used for years by the factory. So to say "Rustoleum is darned good paint... if your painting "Lawn Furnture" doesn't seem humble to me. But you say you meant it as humble so I stand corrected.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 12-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #81
rstewart09

I have never admitted on here or other forums I read that I did the $50 paint job as its know a lot of places on the web. The reason why is it always leads to an argument. I researched this for a long time on many different forums before I tried it and the main difference I see in people who have succeeded and those who failed is patience. You really have to be willing to take your time and put in the effort to make this work. If you get a lot of orange peel you need to thin it more. It worked the best for me when at first I would get hundreds of bubbles but continue to run the roller over the area lightly till they where gone. It will take 6 to 8 coats to get good coverage because you put it on so thin. It is not the same as a good professional paint job but is no where near the same in price. I would do it again and 90% of the general public wont know the difference if you don't tell them.