The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #76
THE "10" SILVERADO

Re: Classic Industries dash pad

Got mine ordered tonight.... $189 + shipping......along with a few other dash parts.... let's see how it goes
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 PM   #77
Stitch
Account Suspended

cool deal...I think I'm gonna wind up covering the one in my little diesel in leather along with the bucket seats and door panels
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #78
JAG66

I've read this thread 3 times. Back to the original topic of Classic Industries dash pads: I'm in the market for a nice fitting dash pad for my 87. I want good fit with the correct grain. I think I understand that Classic Industries sells the dash pads manufactured by Dashes Direct?? I get lost sometimes when reading the comments trying to figure what to filter. (metal backing, wood, rubbery, vinyl, eurethane, etc)
I looked at dash pads from different vendors at a swap meet this weekend. They looked good. One was in a Dashes Direct box. Another vendors looked just like it, but claimed not from Dashes Direct.

The $189 deal from Classic Industries looks good. Need some unbiased opinions from people that have actually seen and installed them.

Last edited by JAG66; 03-20-2011 at 02:11 PM.
JAG66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #79
Reziel_1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG66 View Post
I've read this thread 3 times. Back to the original topic of Classic Industries dash pads: I'm in the market for a nice fitting dash pad for my 87. I want good fit with the correct grain. I think I understand that Classic Industries sells the dash pads manufactured by Dashes Direct?? I get lost sometimes when reading the comments trying to figure what to filter. (metal backing, wood, rubbery, vinyl, eurethane, etc)
I looked at dash pads from different vendors at a swap meet this weekend. They looked good. One was in a Dashes Direct box. Another vendors looked just like it, but claimed not from Dashes Direct.

The $189 deal from Classic Industries looks good. Need some unbiased opinions from people that have actually seen and installed them.
I just bought one of these dash pads from classic industries and I would not recommend it to anybody. The clips that were originally on there have started to come off and we had to cut quite a few places for the dash pad to fit properly. I still have not gotten it on there. We have decided to take the clips from my original dash pad and put them on the classic industries one because the clips on the new one are very easy to break and they don't seem to work that well. I wish I wouldn't have bought this piece of trash.
Reziel_1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #80
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Thats a bummer. Seems like a good 90% of people are a t least "satisfied" With the dash. Knowing that its a reproduction unit i wouldnt hold my standards too high. I would know going into it that its going to look better then what i got but not as good as factory.
y5mgisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #81
Reziel_1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by y5mgisi View Post
Thats a bummer. Seems like a good 90% of people are a t least "satisfied" With the dash. Knowing that its a reproduction unit i wouldnt hold my standards too high. I would know going into it that its going to look better then what i got but not as good as factory.
Yeah, I agree, it does look a lot better than what I had before, bunch of holes everywhere :P. But I really wish it would have fit better without me having to make so many mods. I finally got it on and all, but it could look better imo. That's what you get when you by reproduction stuff I guess.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:09 PM   #82
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Well I decided to change out the dash today for want of seeing what it would like. At this point, of all I have bought for this truck, this is the one disappointment.

Granted, I am going to take it back out for a third time sometime this week when I get the chance. Will do some more trimming and work on a tighter fit along that window. But for now, it is what it is and I "own" my decision to have purchased it. Yet would I do it again? No. Instead I would probably have paid the money for oem or drive without a dash pad while the old one was being recovered somewhere.

With this said, here is where this dash is at now as I ponder how I can adjust and trim some more to get it to fit better than it currently is. Actually today the plan was to get everything to fit right, pull it all apart, and start cleaning the dash metal. Will see how it goes...it has been a long day just to get it to look this "good". Oh well, it is aftermarket.

Off topic I know, but at least this part came out right.

Will be changing this part back to black when I get to it.

So that is my opinion at this time on this dash. Yes, it is better than what I had (no cracks!). No it is not as nice a product as I planned for the money spent, but here again, I got what I paid for. No fault no foul as this is not advertised as oem.

Will it work for a daily driver? Yes, but for the money the quality of fit for this product should be and could be better in my opinion. (why do they all come needing "trimmed"? ...and plan on it if you buy one)

Rare do I criticize a product but this was a fight from the beginning in terms of fitment...after what I went through today to get this to look like it does for $200 plus after shipping...knowing what I know now I would never have opened the box and returned it immediately.

At least I now have a dash that can be recovered while able to drive the truck with this installed.

My opinion only of course. Good for a daily driver if your dash is shot but don't expect oem quality. It's not even close.

Mark

"Reality is just a hallucination brought on by lack of alcohol."

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-20-2011 at 11:28 PM.
RuralRoute C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #83
Reziel_1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralRoute C-30 View Post
Well I decided to change out the dash today for want of seeing what it would like. At this point, of all I have bought for this truck, this is the one disappointment.

Granted, I am going to take it back out for a third time sometime this week when I get the chance. Will do some more trimming and work on a tighter fit along that window. But for now, it is what it is and I "own" my decision to have purchased it. Yet would I do it again? No. Instead I would probably have paid the money for oem or drive without a dash pad while the old one was being recovered somewhere.

With this said, here is where this dash is at now as I ponder how I can adjust and trim some more to get it to fit better than it currently is. Actually today the plan was to get everything to fit right, pull it all apart, and start cleaning the dash metal. Will see how it goes...it has been a long day just to get it to look this "good". Oh well, it is aftermarket.

Off topic I know, but at least this part came out right.

Will be changing this part back to black when I get to it.

So that is my opinion at this time on this dash. Yes, it is better than what I had (no cracks!). No it is not as nice a product as I planned for the money spent, but here again, I got what I paid for. No fault no foul as this is not advertised as oem.

Will it work for a daily driver? Yes, but for the money the quality of fit for this product should be and could be better in my opinion. (why do they all come needing "trimmed"? ...and plan on it if you buy one)

Rare do I criticize a product but this was a fight from the beginning in terms of fitment...after what I went through today to get this to look like it does for $200 plus after shipping...knowing what I know now I would never have opened the box and returned it immediately.

At least I now have a dash that can be recovered while able to drive the truck with this installed.

My opinion only of course. Good for a daily driver if your dash is shot but don't expect oem quality. It's not even close.

Mark
I agree with you 100%. The dash pad REALLY isn't what i expected for $200 + shipping. But that's what you get with aftermarket products. :P
Old 03-21-2011, 03:53 AM   #84
DREAMER1

Rural route c, wuts up with that silver instrument panel? I've never seen one like it. Give me some info on it if you don't mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
DREAMER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #85
SeanPaintsFlames

In regards to the metal dash pad skeleton that is under all the foam- I had a similar idea. Once I finally cleaned all the foam and junk off the metal frame, there are just as many holes in it as there are the actual dash board. You'd have to end up welding a bunch of quarter-sized holes shut. Also, the area of the dash pad that comes out past the gauge cluster turns out to be all foam. So, when you take the foam off, the gauges seem to just sit on top of the dash. To make it look even a bit normal, you'd want to fabricate some metal to come out past the gauges like the foam does.
All that being said, you might as well just fix a cracked dash with a grinder. the home depot can foam and some paint.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #86
JAG66

Thanks for the honest feedback about your installation. BTW, it looks fine in your pictures.
I'm well aware that aftermarket is never as good as OE, but was hoping the dash pad from Classic Industries was an acceptable fit. Guess I'll look at other options.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 PM   #87
Telecasterjoey

Damn I'm disappointed, I really wanted to order this dash! RURAL ROUTE do you have any pics of the problem areas? I wonder if i could live with it lol.
Telecasterjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #88
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecasterjoey View Post
Damn I'm disappointed, I really wanted to order this dash! RURAL ROUTE do you have any pics of the problem areas? I wonder if i could live with it lol.
I took a bunch of pictures so will do tonight. Day job had a ton of problems, none of 'em mine, but a tough Monday that went way too long. Got home from a 14 hr day...it happens.

Still hoping to salvage this project. At least it doesn't have any cracks!

Mark

Old 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #89
Vernski

Quote:
Thanks for the honest feedback about your installation. BTW, it looks fine in your pictures.
I'm well aware that aftermarket is never as good as OE, but was hoping the dash pad from Classic Industries was an acceptable fit. Guess I'll look at other options.
Jag66 check out my post #54 of this thread, it was not an easy job installing the classic ind pad it takes two people to do it right and get the clips in the proper position. You have to do some prep work making sure the clips seat right in the new pad. I also had to grind off some off the speaker on the right side there was a ridge making a lump in the pad although the original pad did not do this in all fairness it turned out acceptible to MHO but I can see why some are frustrated with the process cause it's not a easy job...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #90
RuralRoute C-30

Have to agree with Vernski on it is not an easy process. Granted I have not given up on it but remain frustrated with parts of it that I do not think will change.

Anyway, picture time. I know the clips are installed correctly to the dash but I didn't grind anything off for a speaker as the left and right ones are out anyway. I do think I can get where it sits along the window leveled out, maybe?, but probably the real issue is the "wave" I look at sitting in the driver's seat. In the picture with it sitting on the ground next to the oem dash the "wave" is obvious and it didn't improve when installed. Nothing is going to straighten that line out that I can tell. That is plainly a twist in the form that I don't see straightening out.

Meanwhile, take a look, advice and opinions are welcome. I am tempted to replace the new clips with the old ones, but I put an old clip next to a new one and nothing is different. If nothing else, it all is coming off once again and more trimming is on the list. (I do wonder though; since it needs trimmed, agreed by all on that part who have 'been there, done it, once the buyer does trim, and there are still problems, is there any recourse to return it since the buyer has now essentially "cut" the dash to fit?) Interesting point to ponder...I have.

Neither here nor there, for now accepting I "own" this thing. Just taking a break from frustration so when I do tackle it again soon it will be with the patience of a saint and a razor sharp trimming knife.

Yet do notice how crisp the dash lines, (the area that is above the gauge cluster), with the oem dash as it sits with this one on the ground. Also when handling this one, unlike an oem dash, care must be taken as it will nearly bend in half compared to the oem which is essentially a piece of steel with no real flex.

Oh well, just another learning curve on this project. We all have 'em. Not the first time I get to learn something new...and won't be the last.

In hindsight having reviewed this post maybe I should contact Classic Industries and have them assess what we see with this particular dash. Pondering that may be the right thing to do at this point.

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-22-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #91
dropd80s

Quote:
In hindsight having reviewed this post maybe I should contact Classic Industries and have them assess what we see with this particular dash. Pondering that may be the right thing to do at this point.

Mark
I agree. If you are generally dissatisfied with the product, I would contact them and see what they can do. You seem to be the first, that i have seen, to post pics of how bad the pad actually fits. Most other pics, and even yours, from a distance on the passenger side looks great. The detailed pics of the problem area do seem to be unacceptable by more than some buyers, I would say most. The two questions I have are, being a molded item; I wonder if some pieces come out better than others? Also, going by the descriptions here of how flimsy they are compared to an OE pad, do the reproduction pads have the metal backing, or does the metal portion just not continue over the gauge panel? If the metal piece is in the repop pad can you not add a piece of steel of some sort under the dash along the windshield to stiffen/straighten that part at least? Just a few ideas, it’s hard to analyze without having the part in front of me.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #92
JAG66

I agree X2. The waviness over the instrument cluster and the vent areas is not acceptable. I'm a fair person and we all know that repro will not fit perfect, BUT NOT acceptable......this forum will be interested to know.

BTW, the vendors I talked to about these dashes said the center clip that is left off the repro dash is meant to be left off for a reason. Do Not use the center clip, or dash will bow.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #93
Reziel_1983

Quote:
Have to agree with Vernski on it is not an easy process. Granted I have not given up on it but remain frustrated with parts of it that I do not think will change.

Anyway, picture time. I know the clips are installed correctly to the dash but I didn't grind anything off for a speaker as the left and right ones are out anyway. I do think I can get where it sits along the window leveled out, maybe?, but probably the real issue is the "wave" I look at sitting in the driver's seat. In the picture with it sitting on the ground next to the oem dash the "wave" is obvious and it didn't improve when installed. Nothing is going to straighten that line out that I can tell. That is plainly a twist in the form that I don't see straightening out.

Meanwhile, take a look, advice and opinions are welcome. I am tempted to replace the new clips with the old ones, but I put an old clip next to a new one and nothing is different. If nothing else, it all is coming off once again and more trimming is on the list. (I do wonder though; since it needs trimmed, agreed by all on that part who have 'been there, done it, once the buyer does trim, and there are still problems, is there any recourse to return it since the buyer has now essentially "cut" the dash to fit?) Interesting point to ponder...I have.

Neither here nor there, for now accepting I "own" this thing. Just taking a break from frustration so when I do tackle it again soon it will be with the patience of a saint and a razor sharp trimming knife.

Yet do notice how crisp the dash lines, (the area that is above the gauge cluster), with the oem dash as it sits with this one on the ground. Also when handling this one, unlike an oem dash, care must be taken as it will nearly bend in half compared to the oem which is essentially a piece of steel with no real flex.

Oh well, just another learning curve on this project. We all have 'em. Not the first time I get to learn something new...and won't be the last.

Mark
I changed all the clips on the new dash to the old one. We just pulled the ones off the new dash and J-B welded the old clips onto the new dash. It helped a little bit. Getting the dash set in was much easier with those clips.

1998 Trans am, mostly stock with magnaflow catback

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454329
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #94
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
I agree X2. The waviness over the instrument cluster and the vent areas is not acceptable. I'm a fair person and we all know that repro will not fit perfect, BUT NOT acceptable......this forum will be interested to know.

BTW, the vendors I talked to about these dashes said the center clip that is left off the repro dash is meant to be left off for a reason. Do Not use the center clip, or dash will bow.
I decided to be fair to Classic Industries on this item and wrote them for an opinion. Even I can agree that in any automotive line an item in a "parts run" can get past QC and find its way to the consumer. At least in this case the item is not an entire vehicle.

So as I mentioned, to be fair, I sent a note to Classic industries requesting either a replacement of better quality or a refund in whole. Rather than take this apart once again before giving them a chance to respond it only seems to be the right thing to do at this time.

Sometimes we all get the one item that no one should have got in the first place. Maybe this is the case here. For now, I leave it in their hands and look forward to hear from them on this matter.

Personally without seeing the success of others who appear to have had some satisfaction with this item I would not have purchased mine. Such displays from others suggest to me these pads can work if the item received is without the problems I encountered straight from the box.

So with that said, I hope my current experience does not deter others at this time but merely shows what can occur when QC may have failed in catching this particular item before shipping it out. Will see what they say in response as I did notice and mention the money back guarantee on their web site.

Yet with so many sharing the good about these dash pads, this is why I went with Classic Industries. Given the right one, I hope to continue to with this choice.

Just thought I'd post an update on the direction I've taken at this time and clarifying my desire to keep it fair to the vendor too at this time. Sometimes these things happen. Will see.

Mark

Old 03-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #95
broey
Square

oh man that sucks. I hope they have a fix, maybe it just needs to get warm? Its gonna look bada$$ once it fits proper
Old 03-24-2011, 03:41 AM   #96
Vernski

Quote:
I decided to be fair to Classic Industries on this item and wrote them for an opinion. Even I can agree that in any automotive line an item in a "parts run" can get past QC and find its way to the consumer. At least in this case the item is not an entire vehicle.

So as I mentioned, to be fair, I sent a note to Classic industries requesting either a replacement of better quality or a refund in whole. Rather than take this apart once again before giving them a chance to respond it only seems to be the right thing to do at this time.

Sometimes we all get the one item that no one should have got in the first place. Maybe this is the case here. For now, I leave it in their hands and look forward to hear from them on this matter.

Personally without seeing the success of others who appear to have had some satisfaction with this item I would not have purchased mine. Such displays from others suggest to me these pads can work if the item received is without the problems I encountered straight from the box.

So with that said, I hope my current experience does not deter others at this time but merely shows what can occur when QC may have failed in catching this particular item before shipping it out. Will see what they say in response as I did notice and mention the money back guarantee on their web site.

Yet with so many sharing the good about these dash pads, this is why I went with Classic Industries. Given the right one, I hope to continue to with this choice.

Just thought I'd post an update on the direction I've taken at this time and clarifying my desire to keep it fair to the vendor too at this time. Sometimes these things happen. Will see.

Mark
It looks as though you encountered a lot of problems that I did not with the classic dash pad. I think your on the right track talking to classic ind it sure doesn't look right to me either around the windows not a very good fit. I hope all goes well with them maybe you can get an adjustment from them or an other pad that one is not right...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #97
stavenman

whats up everybody im looking to buy a gm dash today and gm parts direct dont have any does anyone know where i can pick one up for under 500 shipped,thanks mike
stavenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:45 PM   #98
RuralRoute C-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernski View Post
It looks as though you encountered a lot of problems that I did not with the classic dash pad. I think your on the right track talking to classic ind it sure doesn't look right to me either around the windows not a very good fit. I hope all goes well with them maybe you can get an adjustment from them or an other pad that one is not right...Vernski
Well having contacted Classic Industries, I now have nothing but good to say how prompt they were to address the problems one can visually see by the pictures. They have sent a shipping label to satisfy the need to return this part and I will promptly be returning this dash for a replacement. At this time I am very satisfied with their attention on this matter and personally feel it was just a QC problem that managed to make its way through the system. Having once worked in the automotive industry related to the manufacture of OEM parts I personally am aware such things can happen in real life manufacturing.

So yes, I have chosen to go with a replacement to the original dash. Granted I could have also just taken the money back and called it a done deal. Yet I believe in their desire and ability to have customer satisfaction along with the fact so many have had satisfaction with their replacement dash pad. With that said, I'm going with a replacement to the dash I received.

I add that it is admirable, in my opinion, that Classic Industries has proven through our correspondence they will go the extra mile for a customer and that says a lot to me. Any company that does this and responds as quickly as they have to a problem with their product has my business today and in the future.

So for those wondering where this project stands today, it is on hold while the process of shipping this item back and forth takes it's natural course.

Mark

Last edited by RuralRoute C-30; 03-24-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #99
Reziel_1983

Quote:
Well having contacted Classic Industries, I now have nothing but good to say how prompt they were to address the problems one can visually see by the pictures. They have sent a shipping label to satisfy the need to return this part and I will promptly be returning this dash for a replacement. At this time I am very satisfied with their attention on this matter and personally feel it was just a QC problem that managed to make its way through the system. Having once worked in the automotive industry related to the manufacture of OEM parts I personally am aware such things can happen in real life manufacturing.

So yes, I have chosen to go with a replacement to the original dash. Granted I could have also just taken the money back and called it a done deal. Yet I believe in their desire and ability to have customer satisfaction along with the fact so many have had satisfaction with their replacement dash pad. With that said, I'm going with a replacement to the dash I received.

I add that it is admirable, in my opinion, that Classic Industries has proven through our correspondence they will go the extra mile for a customer and that says a lot to me. Any company that does this and responds as quickly as they have to a problem with their product has my business today and in the future.

So for those wondering where this project stands today, it is on hold while the process of shipping this item back and forth takes it's natural course.

Mark
So, they are sending you a replacement reproduction dash? or OEM dash? Cause if it's the same dash, won't it have the same problems? Cosidering the fact that all of ours have the same waves and humps in them.

1998 Trans am, mostly stock with magnaflow catback

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454329
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #100
BadCompany

Just recieved the floppy urethane dash for my 87. Same problems as everyone else, seems I should have went ahead and dropped a fewmore bills and purchased a higher quality product. But I guess theres only myself to blame for not doing more research on the product. The biggest problem I have with the dash is the fitment of the trim piece on the front of the dash. As seen in some of the pictures already posted it does not seat well and the end of trim extends around a half inch past the edge of the dash. Which makes the dash look like garbage to me. I am going to be trying to refund my product even though I have already trimmed and dremeled certain areas to try to get a good fit. Wish me luck. Sucks to be me. My advice is to spend the extra money and get a product that is of a higher quality.
BadCompany is offline   Reply With Quote