The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #76
CC69Rat

Re: Anybody switch over from new car and regret it?

^^ I agree. Nuff said.

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #77
Rob H.

I enjoy driving my 72 more than my 98 Tahoe, I feel safer driving it than the Tahoe it handles great and the 98 feels like a brick. When the 72 breaks down, I can diagnois it and have it going in a third of the time it takes to go through everything to figure out where to start on the Tahoe! Ok perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, depending on the breakdown. But the simplicity of our trucks compared to modern vehicles, to me, makes them more dependable in the long run. I don't see all the electronic and computerized systems on these newer vehicles holding up and being put back into service when they're 40+ years old. Granted modern safety features help save lives, but common sense, defensive driving and awareness of your surroundings will go a long way in keeping ourselves and others safe.
I fully intend to drive my truck everyday I can and go anywhere I feel like driving it!
1952 Super "A" Farmall (Grandfather's)
Rob H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #78
Ironhorse

Bringing this up for some more thoughts of my own on this.

My wife and I are actually thinking of doing this very switch. Been talking about it for last six months or so. We have a '99 Tahoe which is realy comfortable to drive/ride in, 132,350 miles. All the bells and whistles, loaded out. Trouble is we have been having an on-going SES light which throws the code of ''random misfire" . Been to three differant shops with diagnostic computer anylizers. Changed cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and done fuel pressure test with no clear results. Put in a new fuel pump and sending unit three years ago when the old unit quit. That was pricey, $$$ ! Gets about 17-18 miles to the gallon. Like the Tahoe, hate the OBDll computer crap.

Several years ago I bought a 1955 2dr. station wagon, 210 model for the princely sum of $125 and trailered it off. Was last street tagged in 1981. IL 6 banger with 3 on the tree and underdash overdrive. All of it pretty well shot. Body has usual rust but no real damage, all glass is there, interior and seats are complete but in need of complete restore along with an engine and driveline. Thinking seriously of using some of my retirement investment $$ to have and auto restoration shop bring the old gal back to life. Have a '69 327 complete, (never have had the heads off), for a rebuilder. Add in a 700R4 non-computered overdrive lockup unit, wife says gotta have A/C, tilt column with cruise, new CLOTH interior, (no leather in my cars/trucks no how, no way!), maybe power windows, and a good stereo setup. I can do some of the work myself but I know a lot will be farmed out. Want a body off, look at the frame and repair as needed , front discs, good gearing in the rear for decent mileage, maybe 3:55 or so. Thinking I can possibly do it for perhaps $25 large and have a vehicle which will APPRECIATE in value rather than lose value.

Anyone want to share some thoughts on this. What am I not seeing in this thought process?
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 11-26-2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Added info and can't spell, LOL
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #79
69GWC

I see no reason not to, once all the parts are new or rebuilt you will have a easy to work on car and one alot easier to diagnosis when it does need worked on let alone cheaper parts.
Set the motor and tranny up right and you will get the same mileage as well IMO.

Soon as I get my 69 where I think it needs to be (drive train wise) I will be selling my 06 using my 69 for my driver while I build my 70 up to be my DD.
Iam so done with all these computers on these new cars/trucks, they are such a pain in the butt when they start to get old let alone the cost of some of the parts. But hey they are get when new and under warranty..
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:10 AM   #80
THE DRIVER

I will be DD my 72 when it's done and leaving my 04 vette in the garage, life is for the living, I will take my chances in my old truck, as far as gas mileage goes, my pop asked me once if he could use my truck for hauling trash, I said this is for hauling a$$ not trash! to each his own, now I'm going to go ride my motorcycle! Damn helmet laws
THE DRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #81
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Nothing beats "NO CAR PAYMENT". I have not had one in a while and when I did, all I did was worry about making it on time. I just traded a 1999 Subaru Impreza for a 1972 Cheyenne LWB. Best trade ever. I am not or have never been a Subaru kind of guy but got a really good deal on it.

I would lay under my Cheyenne and work on it in a mud puddle before I have another car payment. Although the gas gauge moves three times as fast, so does the truck.

On another note, I owned a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville that I paid 2,000 cash for and it got 32 mpg on the HWY and 27 in the city. The 3800 GM engines go forever.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 AM   #82
fireman064

Do it! Bought a 67 step short bed as a weekend / project truck. My daily driver is a Audi s4 and I find myself leaving the Audi parked and driving the truck more and more. Best part is this site offers so much info and helpful people even a guy like me with no mechanical knowledge can still learn to fix these awesome trucks!
Posted via Mobile Device
fireman064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #83
Billett

I've been DDing mine for 6 months or so now and I have absolutely no regrets. I didn't even have that much money to put into it. It doesn't have AC, or heat at the moment, and I just put in part of the radio. It gets 12 miles to the gallon, but I could fit a compact car in the bed if I wanted. Definitely wouldn't trade it back for my 99 s10. That was a good truck, but this one makes me smile every time I start it up. And don't think it's just a small town truck either. I drive mine into Philly every week. Got its first parking ticket two weeks ago
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #84
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

(deletedby Poster)

Last edited by 68shortstep; 11-27-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Wrong Thread
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #85
haminator

I think all of the comments are valid. I like Ledzeps, "NO". BTW the video is of a 59 and is somewhat rigged, not really a good comparison. No engine/trans and a ton of rust is an unfair example. Not to mention choosing an X frame car for that type of collision is really unfair. Really how many 58-64 Chevys do you really see on the road anymore, not too many. Many more 67-72 trucks foresure. Just an observation really. Unsafe or not, old cars and trucks will remain my choice allways. Hauled all three kids and my wife in the cab of a 70 many years, unsafe?, maybe, but we lived. Hey remember back when you could lay on package shelf in a car while you were on a family trip? Most of us lived through that too. lol
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #86
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Bringing this up for some more thoughts of my own on this.

My wife and I are actually thinking of doing this very switch. Been talking about it for last six months or so. We have a '99 Tahoe which is realy comfortable to drive/ride in, 132,350 miles. All the bells and whistles, loaded out. Trouble is we have been having an on-going SES light which throws the code of ''random misfire" . Been to three differant shops with diagnostic computer anylizers. Changed cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and done fuel pressure test with no clear results. Put in a new fuel pump and sending unit three years ago when the old unit quit. That was pricey, $$$ ! Gets about 17-18 miles to the gallon. Like the Tahoe, hate the OBDll computer crap.

Several years ago I bought a 1955 2dr. station wagon, 210 model for the princely sum of $125 and trailered it off. Was last street tagged in 1981. IL 6 banger with 3 on the tree and underdash overdrive. All of it pretty well shot. Body has usual rust but no real damage, all glass is there, interior and seats are complete but in need of complete restore along with an engine and driveline. Thinking seriously of using some of my retirement investment $$ to have and auto restoration shop bring the old gal back to life. Have a '69 327 complete, (never have had the heads off), for a rebuilder. Add in a 700R4 non-computered overdrive lockup unit, wife says gotta have A/C, tilt column with cruise, new CLOTH interior, (no leather in my cars/trucks no how, no way!), maybe power windows, and a good stereo setup. I can do some of the work myself but I know a lot will be farmed out. Want a body off, look at the frame and repair as needed , front discs, good gearing in the rear for decent mileage, maybe 3:55 or so. Thinking I can possibly do it for perhaps $25 large and have a vehicle which will APPRECIATE in value rather than lose value.

Anyone want to share some thoughts on this. What am I not seeing in this thought process?
Heres how I see your situation. it depends on if you want a project that would take a year or two for you to complete or do you want to get in and go. My point is, for the 25 large you would spend on the restoration of your 55 wagon ( my favorite year chevy by the way), someone has a nicer one that is done the way you want it (most of it anyway) for a lot less money. Myself, I love project cars and trucks. I am not into full blown frame off jobs like I was in my younger days. There are a lot of cars out there that would fit you well and have all the features you are looking for, even A/C, with low miles on them.

I would think about it hard if I had 25K to spend. Good Luck
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #87
ColoradoK5

looks like im not only that has been thinking of this move. I have a 1998 2 door tahoe with 210,xxx miles and counting. Love my tahoe just really thinking if I should step up and buy something newer or put the money into my tahoe? Clearcoat is chipping rust on the windshield fram like all these year trucks get. and motor is getting a little tired. I drive alot and have a 3 year kiddo, so safety is important. Just need help deciding if its worth putting the $$ into the Tahoe or into something newer??
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #88
Davemotohead

Went from a 2008 Z71 P.O.S to a 71 4x4 bb and a corvair DD,,The money saved in payments insurance is more than Cost effective! Never been happier! The corvair get 25mpg in style,,,Parked it next to a new Camaro at the dealer one day,,they made me Move it as More people asked about it than the Camaro! Proof new Cars Suck!
Attached Images

Davemotohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #89
haminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemotohead View Post
Went from a 2008 Z71 P.O.S to a 71 4x4 bb and a corvair DD,,The money saved in payments insurance is more than Cost effective! Never been happier! The corvair get 25mpg in style,,,Parked it next to a new Camaro at the dealer one day,,they made me Move it as More people asked about it than the Camaro! Proof new Cars Suck!
Right on. I've actually been pondering a Corvair for a driver to help ease the fuel mileage issue. Mainly driving to work and such. Like another guy on here said, rather put money into something that may or will go up in value instead of go down. As you said the insurance savings alone is worth while.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #90
68corvair

I daily drive a 68 corvair or my 71 cheyenne lwb. The corvair is a monza coupe, with some mods, looks good,gets 25 mpg all day long. 71 cheyenne has a new 350 in it,700r4.
Would not have it any other way. Either one of them give me more smiles per mile than any newer car could.

Ed in s.c.
68corvair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #91
Portmod7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
My wife and I are actually thinking of doing this very switch. Been talking about it for last six months or so. We have a '99 Tahoe which is realy comfortable to drive/ride in, 132,350 miles. All the bells and whistles, loaded out. Trouble is we have been having an on-going SES light which throws the code of ''random misfire" . Been to three differant shops with diagnostic computer anylizers. Changed cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and done fuel pressure test with no clear results.
A little off subject, but my parents had a 97 1500 2wd, throwing a misfire code. Turns out the "base timing" ( for lack of a better term) was off due to timing chain stretch, or gear wear, or whatever. It can only be checked with a scanner, and if its not within like 2 degrees of 0, it will cause you problems (missfire code).

I plan to DD my truck when I get it rolling. Ought to be much more fun than my trusty old 93 nissan. But I won't be getting rid of the nissan, and I've got a 2011 Duramax for hauling and road trips. Reliability and a warrante are nice to have when you're hundreds of miles from home. And the nissan makes a nice standby when its "upgrade" time for the 68.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #92
OARNGESI

No i couldnt do it
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:53 AM   #93
ya it is a classic

well i drove a POS 55 chevy 3200 for about 8 months 35 miles a day. it really sucked when it was -20. then i upgraded to a 72 gmc. i put 40,000 miles on it in a year and a half. i went through 2 sets of points (i forgot to put grease on the first set, so thats my fault) and a starter and alot of gas! and one u-joint. other then that i just drove it like i stole it and it didnt give me any problems. before i left for college my parents made me buy a newer car so i bought a 99 pontiac GTP (supercharged) and its pretty sweet and the 30mpg and the boost gauge on full boost brings a smile to my face. but i would rather have my 72 here any day of the week. even though ive been here for two months and have put almost 900 miles on my car just driving to class and back. do the math at 10 miles a gallon in my pickup thats about 400 bucks in gas alone. if it was me i would have a nice 67-72 and a cheap beater. i picked up my GTP for under 4 grand. and you can choose what you want to drive that day
ya it is a classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #94
blackhawkip

I did exactly this (for the second time). I was driving my LTZ 4wd Tahoe to work one day and thought "this is just stupid, do I need a $50K truck to drive to work 3 miles?"

I sold my Tahoe and bought my 72 Cheyenne Super 3/4 4wd back from the guy I sold it to a few years ago. Could not be happier. Would I do it if I were driving a longer distance? Maybe not. But as others have said, I sure like the fact that when if breaks, I can fix it! Plus, now what I drive is appreciating not depreciating, insurance was cut in half, and NO MORE PAYMENTS!

When I told a guy I work with I had sold my Tahoe and bought a 40 year old truck he said "you have lost you mind, I'd never sell that Tahoe." That was until he saw my truck.......
Attached Images

1972 Cheyenne Super Shortbed w/402bb (sold)
1972 Custom/Deluxe 2wd Suburban w/402bb (sold)
plus too many others.....
blackhawkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #95
skorpioskorpio

I am in the stages of planning out my next vehicle, and it will be a 69-72 Blazer/Jimmy which I plan on modernizing for daily use. Modern engine, OD trans, modern brakes. I am in California, and I am just over the whole smog, CARB cert, blah blah blah. Here if you are 1975 and older your are just off the grid, you could put a jet engine in if you wanted, no more check engine light, which in CA really means, this engine light came on, write a check. That and I really don't like anything that is available new. So in the end I won't have anti-lock brakes which I find to be kind of a pain anyway, and I won't have airbags. Then again I kind of like crude vehicles, if I was going to buy new or newish I'd be looking at FJ Cruisers or the last of the Land Rover Defenders, neither of which I can carry my vintage dirt bikes in and neither of which is all that much more sophisticated or modern in concept to the old Blazer.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote