The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #76
Grumpy old man

Re: Help me value and decide wether to buy this truck

I finally found the asking of 25 and settle on 20 That's a lot of money for a truck you don't like how it drives , I'd look at the Boise truck and offer 12. Change the seat and have a nice truck and at least it's not resale red .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #77
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by orville View Post
Post 41 shows the price.
If there was a low water problem I'd expect heat, literally after driving the truck hard for 15 minutes or more, the intake manifold was barely warm, the temperature gauge may not work, but the motor nor the radiator were hot, a cold running issue is definitaly a problem, weather its a stuck thermostat, or just the giant four core radiator and big fan I don't know. The heater does blow warm air as was stated before.
;
However the current owner has had the truck since 2011 and the rebuild photos were from some time ago, the giant box of receipts does coincide with a truck rebuilt up to ten years ago.
I'm a fairly good judge of body and paint, this truck has absolutely no rust, and a nice paint job, if there is any filler in that paint it is hidden extremely well, the door strikes being painted may have been a preference, did you all see that the body and doors were painted with no glass or interior at all?
a complete frame off, I wouldn't suspect any issues with the body or paint or frame, or running gear, it is one nice piece of jewelry. Even the window regulators are new and work perfect, the door locks work perfect, the interior is great. It was a nice resto, but the bugs are not worked out and or could for sure be from sitting.
l
But the running issue does suck, as does the non working gauges.
The price is to high for the issues I agree, but the seller does not think it has a running issue, and I don't care to argue or call him a liar. So if he thinks a poor/surging mid range gutless big block is normal, theres nothing I can do.
l
It's a shame is what it is, someone needs to fix those issues or get a new engine and MSD ignition system and make that truck fly, just not me for that price.
Thanks for this additional info. I'll change my opinion now that it's clear the current owner did not do the majority of the work.

IMO, this truck is a mess from start to finish and I bet there's a lot more wrong with it than just a drivability issue. I'd run from this "deal" as fast as possible and chalk up your time/effort as educational expenses.

cheers
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #78
orville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
I have friends who always ask why I start builds with parts trucks and not something 1/2 done to save time ? My answer is always the same I know what it started as and what it needs to be done right from the get go ! Any fresh build truck for sale should have many/tons of build pictures for the next owner and when there's only a few it should set off red flags right away .Still wondering what the asking price was ???
;
Good points Grumpy old man, and I value the experience of others. I'm gonna look for all your nice build photos in your threads. Is that your current project in your avatar? the price was broken down in post #41
orville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #79
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4246567865.html

Nice looking k20 on Boise Craigslist. Newer paint and 4k on crate motor with AC. Put a seat cover on it and be done.

Asking $15k
That's a sweet looking truck!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #80
orville

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/4246567865.html

Nice looking k20 on Boise Craigslist. Newer paint and 4k on crate motor with AC. Put a seat cover on it and be done.

Asking $15k
That is a nice looking truck, and I'd prefer an automatic too. Thanks for linking it here. I'm gonna give the guy a call and see if I can get more photos, the price seems more friendly as well, even if a guy needed 5grand worth of work on it to make it the way he wants it still comes in cheaper than the other truck I'd say.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #81
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by orville View Post
;
Good points Grumpy old man, and I value the experience of others. I'm gonna look for all your nice build photos in your threads. Is that your current project in your avatar? the price was broken down in post #41
I bought 6 project trucks in the last 2 weeks to build 2 '67 short beds I have picked up 3 and an extra bed and still have to pick up 3 more after the holidays See my thread ( farm fresh project trucks )I will be posting the entire builds and will list the extra parts dirt cheap here when I'm ready to sell anything I don't need for my projects . NO ONE will assist or touch anything other than my self from tear down to finished project .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #82
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Very over priced truck, glad the truck was able to talk to you during the test drive and tell you the problems. I've been watching the prices in WA and they've gone up to fantasy level. All the trucks posted seem to be near half the cost of asking and there are a lot of dreamers right now lol My truck had a frame off resto-mod done 10 years ago then sat in a garage getting 1-3000 miles put on a year. I bought it 4 months ago for $4700 and that was high in my eyes as I buy and sell these trucks, but I needed a truck to haul stuff so a rebuilt '71 2500 is what I got. At least I know it'll still be worth close to the same in a few years rather than buying a new truck and having instant depreciation.

Just keep searching and hopefully all the dreamers will come back to reality.
Attached Images

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:50 AM   #83
special-K
Special Order

Ok,so the truck was built a while back,or over a long period of time. My point is still the same,it has no road time. Isn't that why it has so many bugs in it? You cann also tell by looking at the pictures. It's just a bunch of parts assembled,driven very little. I only know how well by your description,which mentioned things a good mechanic wouldn't have had wrong. Who sells a truck that has had such thorough work and looks so great,yet gauges don't work? If it has had road time,then why would the bugs not be fixed? I wish I could see through paint and see the body work. In my mind,an original paint vehicle is the only one I can look at and know it has no,or never had rust. If the cold block and radiator were my only concerns,I'd buy it. What could possible make an engine run cold other than an open thermostat?
We all have different ways to determine a vehicle is right or not and all I'm saying is if I'm paying good money for someone else's work,I better feel damn good about all I see or I walk.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:17 AM   #84
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubds10 View Post
Very over priced truck, glad the truck was able to talk to you during the test drive and tell you the problems. I've been watching the prices in WA and they've gone up to fantasy level. All the trucks posted seem to be near half the cost of asking and there are a lot of dreamers right now lol My truck had a frame off resto-mod done 10 years ago then sat in a garage getting 1-3000 miles put on a year. I bought it 4 months ago for $4700 and that was high in my eyes as I buy and sell these trucks, but I needed a truck to haul stuff so a rebuilt '71 2500 is what I got. At least I know it'll still be worth close to the same in a few years rather than buying a new truck and having instant depreciation.

Just keep searching and hopefully all the dreamers will come back to reality.
That's a nice looking green truck dubds10!
texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #85
orville

Thanks for all the advice, experience and wisdom everybody!
It is fully appreciated, I am entry level into these trucks and can only learn through the experience of others or by getting into trouble myself. I learned a lot about tcases, transmissions, front and rear ends especially the difference between the Eaton HO rears and the Dana 60, where to look for modifications, how to fit a big block, what it takes to get overdrive, where to move gas tanks, body differences/floor humps for two to four wheel drives, headers that fit/don't. And tons more by reading and searching here.
I've made up my mind not to buy this truck which hurts a little as I was so focused on it for several weeks. But it is the best thing to do to pass on this one.
'
That being said I could use all the help I can get getting a good K20!
An original or close to it, hopefully fully optioned, and low or no rust would be great,. I'm gonna keep looking!
Orville.