The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2015, 11:37 AM   #76
TypeSL2

Re: James and Rachael's Full Service '64

And here is how I adpated the hydraulic clutch master cylinder to mount to the firewall. I took a piece off another set of hydraulics and use a metal burring bit to shape it to the square that the master would twist into. This allowed me to bolt the master to the firewall. Feels like it was way easier than trying to notch the firewall enough to allow it to twist into place. There really isn't much real estate in the spot on the firewall anyways.

James
TypeSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:14 AM   #77
Liltroy

loving this truck!!! what headers did you use?
Liltroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #78
TypeSL2

Thanks man. They are eBay S10 LS Swap headers that I originally bought for my wife's Impala. They fit the truck great, but they made the rest of the exhaust tricky to build. The angle that the left header points down at the ground is very difficult to work with. I am hoping to get it a little more dialed in and then when I get it on a lift I will get pictures of how everything bolts up underneath the truck.

Right now, the only hold up is my driveshaft. Me and a friend cut the factory shaft down and welded it up in my driveway to get me something for the proper measurement and also to allow me to drive it around a little. It is not straight enough for a permanent driveshaft, so I am going to have one built. Hopefully going to get that done this week. Then I should be able to start driving it around a bit more.

James
Old 05-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #79
Liltroy

I ordered ebay headers as well....just hoping they fit.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:00 PM   #80
TypeSL2

Got my driveshaft back from the shop Saturday and installed it yesterday. This thing drives great now, other than the running issue I still have. I am gonna have to sit down and really tackle this running issue. Besides that, this also happened.

I am hoping to have that installed in the next 2-3 weeks.

James
Old 06-04-2015, 11:18 AM   #81
TypeSL2

And they're here!

James
Old 06-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #82
TypeSL2

Phase 1 complete. Rear bags are installed. Didn't have the correct fittings for the bags, so I am going to have to ubolt the top of the rear bags and install the fittings later. No biggie though. I am hoping that the fittings come in quick and I can continue with the installation in the front. So far, this has not been too bad to install. I will get some more pictures of the installation.

James
Old 06-10-2015, 09:08 AM   #83
TypeSL2

Left front disassembled. I started installing the upper bag bracket. This is the only part that requires drilling, other than mounting holes for the tank, compressor and gauge/switch panel. I will get some more pictures of how the bag brackets are installed and some other stuff possibly tonight.

The front is pretty easy to disassemble. I had that side torn down in about 10 minutes. I should have done the other side too, but I was trying to be a responsible husband and get some house chores done too. It is very easy for me to get wrapped up in something outside and not come back in until it is too dark or I am too hungry to keep going.

James
Old 06-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #84
Monte's62

Man's gotta eat!!!! Nice job.
Monte's62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:45 PM   #85
TypeSL2

Well, she is bagged!! I don't have any decent pictures yet, so here is all I have for now.

I did sort of a walk through on disassembling and installing the bags on Facebook. For most of us car guys, these pictures really don't need any captions.

This is the upper bag bracket that you have to drill bolt holes for in the crossmember. After the holes are drilled, you bolt this plate to the top of the bag, put the bag in place, hook up the air line and then bolt the plate to the crossmember.

With the bag bolted in place, you have to articulate the suspension and check for anything rubbing on the bags. That is where I found that bumpstop bracket rubbing and also found the front brake line rubbed the bag. The bumpstop bracket got cut off and the brake line got a fuel line clamp to hold it away from the bag.

And of course, I sitll haven't learned my lesson about how not to get the jack stuck under the truck. This was before the air tank and compressor were mounted and hooked up.

That is essentially how the truck looks aired out for now. The rear is not low enough for me, so I am going to notch the rear frame to get me another 1-2". That should be enough to level it out when aired out.

And here's a shot of how low it is in the front aired out.

That's a 10mm socket that will no longer fit under the lower control arm or crossmember. I think I am doing this low stuff right? Still gotta space out the rear wheels so they don't rub the sides of the bed while I am aired out. That way I can drive it this low. Also have to swap out some of the front inner fender bolts for shorter bolts because they touch the tops of the tire.

James
Old 06-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #86
TypeSL2

Here's a quick vid of my first recorded burnout.

https://instagram.com/p/4Ne5VBtOWC/

James
Old 06-22-2015, 11:34 AM   #87
1963c-10

Great video and the stance looks killer!!!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #88
TypeSL2

Thanks man! I am hoping to have some more videos soon. Still gotta wire up the headlights, wipers and turn signals. Then I can start driving it more frequently.

James
Old 06-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #89
TypeSL2

Put the bags to the test yesterday. Picked up ~1000lbs of mulch yesterday. Truck barely squatted, added a little air to the rear bags, rode like a champ.

Also ordered the 2" drop blocks yesterday. Just gotta order the mini notch and get that stuff on. Should make the front/rear more level with pressures closer to each other.

James
Old 06-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #90
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeSL2 View Post
Put the bags to the test yesterday. Picked up ~1000lbs of mulch yesterday. Truck barely squatted, added a little air to the rear bags, rode like a champ.

Also ordered the 2" drop blocks yesterday. Just gotta order the mini notch and get that stuff on. Should make the front/rear more level with pressures closer to each other.

James

Gotta love a working truck.

Looking good James.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #91
oakstcustomz

Looks great!!! Where did you pick up the airbag kit??
1952 Ford Customline 2door kustom project
1967 Cadillac Superior Hearse (wife's)
1998 GMC Saffari (wife's dd)
oakstcustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #92
TypeSL2

Thanks guys. Having the truck functional is top priority, hence the reason why the bed will remain untouched. As much as I would love to lay frame, functionality is more important.

I got the kit from BCFAB on ebay. Excellent customer service. I plan on buying the level 2 kit for my wife's Impala.

James
Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM   #93
Liltroy

Truck looker killer! I always wondered about the handling of airbaged trucks. I once converted a Lincoln Mark 7 to coil springs due to the poor handling boat sensation. Does a custom air ride have the same problem?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #94
TypeSL2

As of right now, it is a little wonky. I think that is my fault though. I don't have the 2" drop blocks in the rear yet. The pressures to have the front and rear level are about 20-30 psi different, front to rear. So the front rides firmer than the rear. I am going to put the drop blocks in the rear and make it so that the front and rear pressures should be about the same, or at least as close as I can get. That should help with the ride quality. Eventually I will also be adding a front and possibly rear sway bar as well to help with the body roll in the corners.

James
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #95
TypeSL2

Been a while, again. But this past weekend the truck went to its first car show. It was held at my wife's company picnic. There were about 20 cars entered into the contest. We took home 1st place! We couldn't have been happier. Finally got to enjoy the fruits of our labor, and apparently we weren't the only ones. I am so pumped that I am hoping to get my wife's car done next so we have both ride to the shows in style.

I need to go back through this thread and see if there is anything that got left out. I also want to fix all the broken pictures. I think it has something to do with hotlinking them straight from facebook. I will fix all of that soon.

James