The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #76
UMDSmith

Re: Whats the next "67 to 72"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
Being an old guy my only question is, are your degrees in law, medicine, engineering or computer science?
Yep!

Bachelors of Science in Computer Science
Masters of Science in Cybersecurity
Masters of Business Administration
Old 03-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #77
Boog
laying low

Easy there guys or this thread will get locked down.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Old 03-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #78
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
Kit trucks!
Theres an idea. There wont have to be a "next 67-72" when they start repopping everything for these trucks. But that may be in another 20 years or so since there were so many of these trucks built and still available.
There is at least one company selling a complete new cab for the 47 to 54 trucks. Assembled in the usa and i heard they dont have immediate plans for the 67 to 72. One day maybe.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #79
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Sorry to say I fear this whole hobby is in it's midlife crisis before it dies off completely. Watch a Mecums or Barrett Jackson auction sometime there is almost nobody under 50 bidding. I really don't feel future generations will care about restoring anything or for that matter care about what you restored. My prediction is that you'll see in the not so distant future the value of collectable cars plummet as the owners die off and the kids inherit these cars and flood the market trying to unload them, because frankly they don't really care about them for what they are. They may have sentimental value because it was dad's (or grand dad's) car (or truck) but they'll have no hobbyist interest in them. It's just not the mentality of the Gen Ys or Millennials these are generations who, as a general rule, rent things as opposed to buying them, have things done for them as opposed to doing things, an only concern themselves with knowing things well enough to use them and not how they actually work.

I would guess that the vast majority of people on this forum have either completely disassembled a bicycle or built one from parts of other bicycles, have built more than their share of models, and had some sort of mechanically creative hobby in their youth, model trains, slot cars, Lincoln logs, non themed Lego sets. Modern kids have none of these things nor do they care, a surprising amount of kids now will graduate high school and will have never owned a bicycle or built a model, something most of us would find unthinkable. They lack the skills, the desire, the knowledge to find this sort of hobby interesting or even fathomable. Simple fact is that we are all just kids making our childhood dreams come true from a simpler time. As children we probably already understood 75% of how one of these trucks worked and learned the skills in childhood to develop the rest. Modern kids understand probably 25% of how one of our trucks works and maybe 10% of how more modern vehicles work and lack the skills to develop the rest. How many people under 30 do you know that have ever changed their own oil? ...and surprisingly few have ever even washed their own car, it's just the reality of things.
I'm going to agree with you on this. Every time I go to a car show or swap meet it's the old guys buying stuff. I rarely see younger guys buying parts any more like I did 20 years ago. If they do it's neon or lights. Hadn't really considered this too much, but you are probably right that collector values will fall even more as time goes by.

I have 2 sons (15 and 17) and neither cares a hoot about fixing old cars or shooting guns. If I had the opportunities that they have, I would be nagging someone all the time.

As far as the original post if there is a future, I think 95-99 Trucks will be hot. The dash in the 88-94 is not as nice so I think the will trail the 95 up. I think similar S10 Blazers and pickups will come back. I think the late 90s 2 door Tahoes will be popular. To the guy that said Diesel Dodge trucks-I don't think so. The body will be gone and all that's left will be the Cummins engine-and that won't take nearly until 2035!
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #80
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMDSmith View Post
Once again, it is thinking like this that is full of anecdotal evidence and a lack of scientific facts that perpetuate poor thinking.

Let me correct you, point by point.
  1. Modern Steel - Current steel is FAR better than the steel from the 1960's. Older vehicles are made of mild steel, which is only currently used in developing countries. High strength steel is a more recent steel that has been incorporated in vehicles in the last 20+ years. Source: http://www.automotivemanufacturingso...cost-effective
  2. Better built - "Engineering was subordinated to the questionable aesthetics of nonfunctional styling at the expense of economy and safety. And quality deteriorated to the point that by the mid-1960s American-made cars were being delivered to retail buyers with an average of twenty-four defects a unit".Source -http://www.history.com/topics/automobiles. 24 defects!!!!! Modern cars tend not to leave with more than 1 or 2, as consumers have far more options. This is very basic business sense.
  3. Automation - Sorry buddy, but robots are better at repetitive tasks than humans. I'd rather have a vehicle made with tolerances of fractions of a millimeter than fractions of an inch. Automation = quality control. Once again, business 101. Also, your nostalgia about vehicles made in the 50's and 60's being American built pride is pure anecdote. They were built by blue collar American workers, many of whom hated their job then as they do now. People don't really change that much.
  4. Outsourcing labor - Once again, you are using anecdotal evidence. I'd suggest you take a look at where Chevy has their factories located. I'll save you the trouble, here they are. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tors_factories
    Most still in the U.S., including their pickup line. Here is a little business lesson for you. Many companies realized that it was MORE costly fixing quality control issues and issuing recalls of products produced in overseas factories.
  5. Pansy Men - ????, you really need to get with the times. New trucks can out tow, have more horsepower, better gas mileage, and are more comfortable than the pickups from the 1960's and 1970's. A factory 350 with a 4 barrel was factory rated at 250hp. My modern v8 in my mustang is rated at 420hp. The factory 350 from the 70's got 12-16mpg, current trucks with v8's get 20+. Factory towing from a 1970 C10 with v8 and 3.73 gears was 9500lbs. Modern chevy 1500 with the v8 is rated at 12000lbs max for the trailer alone. This is also a 4 door truck.
  6. So many still around - It isn't because they are well built, it is because a retarded monkey could keep them running. Similar to an ak-47, these trucks are built loose, with sloppy tolerances. So many guys keep these trucks "working", and by working I mean their engines are tuned to run, but not run efficiently, and the truck has rust holes, and patches, and how many parts have been replaced?

Look, I like the old trucks for their simplicity, and the fact I don't give a **** if someone dents mine, but they aren't better, they are just cheaper to maintain. My problem is that almost every thing you said was just wrong. You need to do some research. I'm glad you survived your rollover, but you were incredibly lucky.
You don't need a college degree to shoot holes full of most statements here. I'll try to present this in a non-condescending way from down here in seat-of-the pants technology land. I am a self-made hard working blue color working man who has used these trucks for their intended purposes since they were new. And, I love my job. At least I'm not some miserable sap with a degree who puts a white color on to kiss someone's butt for a paycheck. I attribute much of my initial financial success to the durability of this series of GM truck. They are as cost effective, if not more, than any truck I have ever used in my real world business. Let my remark on some points here:

Yes, steel has been developed into a higher strength alloy...which only serves to allow the industry to reduce the gauge on like parts. The only advantage is to the manufacturer's pocket book, not us. I'd rather have thicker mild steel than thin high strength. Ever see so much hail damage on older vehicles? Or a fender dent from leaning on your old truck?

These parts were stamped using automated tool & die equipment to close tolerances. The person stepping on the switch pedal had no effect of quality of part produced. I have owned these trucks in original condition with no squeaks or rattles. Loosely assembled? Sounds like anecdotal BS you referred to earlier. I have the facts right here in my driveway

Better built? All I'll say is over the last 40 years I have seen more of these trucks on the road than any other at any given age. Where are all the 67-72 Dodges and Fords? I have been buying someones used trucks and making a living out of them while I've seen brand new trucks run their cycle and disappear.

I haven't tuned my '72 3/4t 4wd with 350 4.10 gears and no overdrive since not sure when. But, I get 12.5 mpg all day long. I hear some great figures from these newer trucks, but I also hear numbers worse than mine. So where are the 40+ years of advancements in fuel efficiency? My truck is quite largely original

I have seen these trucks used to haul/tow loads far beyond manufacturer recommendations and keep on ticking for decades beyond. All this payload hype is advertised and truly moot. The fact is, it's illegal to for a 1/2t or 3/4t truck to gross out at 1 pound over 10,000#. You can't register them about that weight, at least no here in Maryland, and I'm pretty sure that's a national standard. It takes no genius to know moving a load is one thing and stopping is another. It doesn't matter what brakes you have, the tow vehicle weight plays a major factor in safety. I'll never load to their claimed gross.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #81
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDTN View Post
I'm going to agree with you on this. Every time I go to a car show or swap meet it's the old guys buying stuff. I rarely see younger guys buying parts any more like I did 20 years ago. If they do it's neon or lights. Hadn't really considered this too much, but you are probably right that collector values will fall even more as time goes by.

I have 2 sons (15 and 17) and neither cares a hoot about fixing old cars or shooting guns. If I had the opportunities that they have, I would be!
Im in agreement with you here. Each generation has its own interests and some day down the road our trucks will only be museum pieces to some. I have a long time friend who was a plant maintenance worker and his wife a school teacher. Both came from blue collar families. My friend was a long time drag racer. He still has some of his racecars and toys but his son couldnt care less about them. Golf is his thing. Go figure

Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #82
UMDSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
You don't need a college degree to shoot holes full of most statements here. I'll try to present this in a non-condescending way from down here in seat-of-the pants technology land. I am a self-made hard working blue color working man who has used these trucks for their intended purposes since they were new. And, I love my job. At least I'm not some miserable sap with a degree who puts a white color on to kiss someone's butt for a paycheck. I attribute much of my initial financial success to the durability of this series of GM truck. They are as cost effective, if not more, than any truck I have ever used in my real world business. Let my remark on some points here:
Non-condescending land? Maybe you should re-read what you wrote. You are attempting to belittle a college degree, and a white collar job in one sentence. Kudos.

Once again, you show a lack of citation of sources, and even claim it is seat-in-the pants technology land. Here is a tidbit for you, these trucks weren't made by seat in the pants technology, they were made with engineering using math, and actual science.

You believe whatever you want about steel, or hail damage, because yes, older vehicles were much better for low impact collisions and things such as hail or hitting a mailbox. Steel is thinner now, and a lot more weight goes into occupant safety as opposed to body rigidity. The weight has to come off somewhere to keep an average car from weighing 4 tons.

Oh and about your Fords and Dodges, they last just as long too. They have their own forums. I had a 1974 Ford f100 that my parents bought from me before my 1970 chevy c20, and it was basically the same damn truck as I have now, except a Oval and not a bowtie (i6 vs v8 as well).

You need to use the internet to do some research. Look at traffic fatalities per year/mile driven, or any NHTSA report and compare it to 1960-1980 report. You can argue with me all you want, but arguing math makes you look simple.

Here, this is your "old" steel vs a 2009 car. That old american car really handled that impact well, didn't it! Wish they would do a pickup into a pickup to show the difference there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g

Guess who would have died.

Here is a frontal crash test of a 1979 K20 at 30mph, and a 2015 Chevy at 35mph (btw 35 mph is exponentially more force than 30mph at this mass)
1979 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpvCDDtHnKc
2015 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y51ES-z0m8

The difference is pretty clear. There is almost no transfer of force into the cab on the 2015, and the doors probably still open. The k20 damn near folded, and that driver is going to not be a comfortable guy for a while.

Stop selling these damn trucks like they are the best vehicles ever made, they aren't. They were value engineered just like every other vehicle EVER made. Once a corporation enters into a perfect competition environment, the only way to continue making profit margins is to cut production costs. This was very true in 1960-1980, just as it is today. In fact, with news proliferation today, car companies actually have to be MORE careful, as bad press can absolutely tarnish a company and affect stock prices dramatically.

Last edited by UMDSmith; 03-05-2015 at 01:50 PM.
Closed Thread