The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM   #1001
Bomp

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Nice work on the hood. Hope all is going in better directions.
Keep up the great work Man!!!!
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 PM   #1002
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Had a pretty good day today. Got my work done. Had some fun. Got a few minutes to get the sandblaster out and clean a few parts that will need to be painted soon.

I have to go out of town for a couple days for work, but I hope to get some more time later in the week or this coming weekend. Need to get that damn sanding done, paint the hood hinges and mount the hood and edge the tailgate stuff so I can mount that. I can see the little night light way off in the distance, but it is there and growing brighter.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #1003
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Double post.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 04-30-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #1004
Low Elco

Looks great! Keep Rollin!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #1005
mingram

This build has inspired me and my 14 yr old son to start a build for his first ride. We found a decent 65 short step that we are keeping basic stock with rust repair paint tires brakes all done by he and I. Our budget is 3000 and we spent a third of that on the original purchase. Thanks for the inspiration
Posted via Mobile Device
mingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #1006
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Mingram,
Welcome to the board. Nice first post!! When you get a chance, mosey on over to the '65 section and let us see what you're starting with.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #1007
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingram View Post
This build has inspired me and my 14 yr old son to start a build for his first ride. We found a decent 65 short step that we are keeping basic stock with rust repair paint tires brakes all done by he and I. Our budget is 3000 and we spent a third of that on the original purchase. Thanks for the inspiration
Posted via Mobile Device
Very cool! You definitely save money doing it yourself. For instance, I got a quote today to redo the uphulstory on my C-10 for about $750 plus materials. (Custom seat work is expensive) best of luck to you and your son.

And speaking of my C-10, I finally got it out of storage today. First drive since November.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #1008
Dale99

Nice to see a full shot of that c10, rather then snap shots of it behind the jimmy. Very nice looking. Is that an original color on it?
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #1009
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale99 View Post
Nice to see a full shot of that c10, rather then snap shots of it behind the jimmy. Very nice looking. Is that an original color on it?
Thanks. There are plenty of picks of the C-10 on the build thread for it. The color is listed as a 69 GMC only color, turquoise poly, but it was used on chevys too that year, but only that year. This truck was originally medium green, like the color of the first Jimmy I started with in this thread.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #1010
Dale99

ha, I never looked at the build thread.
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #1011
nuke1

Hey bud, just checking in on ya and your truck< I am so happy that you were able to get your truck out of storage, makes me a little jealous, havoc still has about 4 feet of snow on her of well, and the jimmy is coming along really good. really like all the subtle mods you have done so far. keep it up and quite eating at arby's, that place will be the death of ya!!!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #1012
Low Elco

Mmmm..... Arby's. Hope you're well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #1013
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
Hey bud, just checking in on ya and your truck< I am so happy that you were able to get your truck out of storage, makes me a little jealous, havoc still has about 4 feet of snow on her of well, and the jimmy is coming along really good. really like all the subtle mods you have done so far. keep it up and quite eating at arby's, that place will be the death of ya!!!!
Been a while since I posted. We have had one of the worst springs in over a decade. Didn't get to drive the C-10 hardly at all. Until this past week. And it has been my run around truck since then. Your snow should be close to gone by now. Time to drag it out into the light. Arby's is great. Deep fried potato cakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Mmmm..... Arby's. Hope you're well.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am. Its been almost 2 months since I posted vaguely about some personal problems. I'll just say this, I kicked my wife out of the house. I am home with my kids. She lives near by in an apartment. We get along pretty well, see and talk to each other daily, working through our issues. The separation might become permanent, but maybe not. Time will tell. The first few weeks were a living nightmare. Since then I have settled into my new lifestyle. My stress level is down, the kids are happy and doing well. They are 16 and 17, so its not like chasing after toddlers. They have been a great help to me.

But being a (sorta) single dad, taking care of the house, daily chores, etc., plus my workload has been up lately, has taken its toll on garage time. Today I finally got some progress. I started with some 150 grit 3M paper that is supposed to prevent load up. I just used it on a small flexible block to do the top of the bed rail and around the wheel arches. Then I wet sanded the rest of the driver side with 220 grit. This knocked off the top layer of the primer which I had so much trouble with because it would load up the paper in seconds. Once I cleaned up that mess and it dried off I started to block it out
with 180 on my long board. It worked great. No load up problems at all. I did almost the whole bed side with one sheet of paper on the block.

By that time I was tired and had to stop sanding. During the sanding time I would take a rest and was taking care of the hood hinges. I got them sprayed with etching primer...

Then a couple coats of rattle can semi flat black.

I almost forgot to spray the bolts again. Always do that, but I remembered as I was doing the 2nd coat on the hinges. Tragedy avoided...

I only have a few small spots so far that need a little skim coat to smooth it out. A little touch up with the primer here and there and it should be good. Probably another 4 hours or so of sanding and I'll be getting it fired up for the drive over to the body shops paint booth to spray it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:43 PM   #1014
Low Elco

Great progress! That G2 levels it all out nice, and you can go from there. Glad to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry about the troubles. I hope it all evens out with a minimum of damage to all involved. It's hard to be the first one to shove, even in a bad situation, but someone's gotta do it. I'm glad you told us, I've been wondering and worrying about ya. Please know we're all here for ya.

Hey, spring's a-comin! Get that sucker ready for top-off motoring! (and really, who doesn't enjoy that?)
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #1015
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Great progress! That G2 levels it all out nice, and you can go from there. Glad to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sorry about the troubles. I hope it all evens out with a minimum of damage to all involved. It's hard to be the first one to shove, even in a bad situation, but someone's gotta do it. I'm glad you told us, I've been wondering and worrying about ya. Please know we're all here for ya.

Hey, spring's a-comin! Get that sucker ready for top-off motoring! (and really, who doesn't enjoy that?)
Thanks for caring. In a way, things are better now than before.

Brief update. I got the hood hinges on. Whoop-de-do, I know. But hey, it's something. And I'm still a dummy when it comes to painting the bolts. I remembered to paint enough to mount the hinges to the fenders, but forgot to do the ones for the hood to the hinges.

So after painting 4 more bolts, I decided to take care of a duplicate e-brake cable problem. There was one on the chassis that was hooked up to the brakes. Another on the tub that was hooked to the foot pedal. I figured the one on the chassis was the better option to keep, which meant removing the one from under the dash. That is NOT a fun job. I feel like a straightened out pretzel right now.

Stupidest pic in the thread here. Showing a single e-brake cable for all you pic lovers that just can't get enough.

That job isn't quite done. Need to re-adjust it underneath and install the new rubber grommet. The hard part is over though. The hood should go on tomorrow. I'd like to get the cowl edges painted and the tailgate edges and hinge parts also. At that point all of the body parts will be edges and installed. Just more blocking and get it running for the drive over to the body shop for paint. Maybe this month yet. I can dare to dream.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #1016
Bomp

Love the single e-brake cable pic. Yes, under dash stuff is not fun.
Got a pic of you being a straightened pretzel?

Glad to hear things are smoothing out.
Doing good work Man!
Old 05-04-2013, 01:25 AM   #1017
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Got a pic of you being a straightened pretzel?
First I started out with some stretching exercises.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #1018
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Then I prepared myself for working under the dash from the driver side door with the seat and steering wheel in place. Its a 2 handed job to get the nut and bolt out and in again on the clamp holding the e-brake cable to the pedal assembly...
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #1019
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Then I was covered in brown goo, cause I got stuff that leaks and is dirty. So I laid out for a bit to get my spine back in alignment. Just noticed my lips are a little poofy. Must be allergic to something.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #1020
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

But I eventually got moving again and got cleaned up. I only wear this jacket at home when I know I won't be seen by anyone I know (that doesn't already live with me). A gift from a great aunt. Well, she's not that great as you can tell from her taste in jackets.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #1021
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Got the hood back on, but I'm having some trouble getting it lined up right. Acts like its twisted but fit before the sanding. I might have used a different hinge on one side and its not sitting down in the back on the driver side like it did before. Nothing I can't fix, just a chore.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #1022
turp mcspray

Nothing ever fits the same twice!
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #1023
Bomp

Maybe you were looking at it when you were a pretzel.

Diggin the hood. You'll get it.

Waiting for the paint!!!
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #1024
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by turp mcspray View Post
Nothing ever fits the same twice!
Thats a fact. I found part of the problem, pics to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Maybe you were looking at it when you were a pretzel.
Diggin the hood. You'll get it. Waiting for the paint!!!
That could be it. I was experiencing extreme parallax vision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

After the hood was on I realized I forgot to paint the hood latch part, and those bolts.

And I decided I wanted to get the inner fender tubs undercoated. I have one new one, one used one. Cleaned up the underside a bit with brake cleaner. The used one got etch primer on the bare metal areas. The old undercoat that is left there is solid. Sandblasting couldn't get it off.

A quick coat of paint...

While that was drying I remembered to drill the holes for the fender emblem on the driver side.

Then I worked on the hood some more. I got the latch parts on so it would pull down the front completely.

Worked on getting the back corner down on the driver side. I noticed that even if I pushed it wouldn't budge, and it should have. So I looked and found the back corner was hitting the mount tab of the fender. Follow the pencil point...

So I slid the hood forward a bit and it dropped down, but not quite all the way yet. I have the core support as far over to the passenger side as I can get it. But the gap on the passenger side is real tight. Probably need to shim it some more, but that makes the alignment with the door there worse than it is, and it's a domino effect. My truck panel alignment went much smoother than this. Gonna try the cowl fit tomorrow and see how that goes.

Here are pics of the current alignment of the hood.

Then after all of that I finally sprayed the undercoat on the inner fender tubs...

Tomorrow I will probably sand some more.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #1025
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Wanted to get the tailgate and cowl edged and installed. That didn't happen. But the hood is on and the driver side has been blocked with 220 grit.

Need to touch up a few spots, then hit it with 320. Tailgate and cowl soon.

Part of the reason I didn't get all I wanted done is that I wanted to celebrate having a full weekend off and some good weather with some outdoor cooking. The rest of the reason is a bit of laziness.

Notice the smoke rolling out? That is not burning food my friends.

That is pure goodness right there.