The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #1026
Mike Bradbury

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

I'm thinking on doing the same as the side logo and distressing the final product so it matches the truck, so it has got to be paint. But I think yours just finishes off the tailgate so well.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #1027
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Oh yeah, your patina look. Just takes a lot of taping but should look good like your doors.

Since I'm on a new page I'm moving my punch list over.

Punch list:
fan/headlight wiring upgrade
adjust e-brake cable
horn
Cowl shims
Washer pump
finish exhaust/install closed loop O2 sensor
upholstory recovered
alignment
stereo (eventually)
floor mats
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 PM   #1028
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Stopped by the store and found this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1029
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That is sweet!!
Your truck makes it look so much better too!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #1030
67cheby
67cheby

She looks beautiful man !
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #1031
VA72C10
VA72C10

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1032
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Never thought I'd see the day when a toyota would make my full size longbed look like a mini truck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #1033
VA72C10
VA72C10

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #1034
longbed67

The funny thing is, Is that your 2wd truck is still built heavier duty than his POS Yota that is has lifted trying to look tough! (key word trying)

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #1035
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
The funny thing is, Is that your 2wd truck is still built heavier duty than his POS Yota that is has lifted trying to look tough! (key word trying)
I actually like the toyotas. The only vehicle I ever bought new was a 1989 SR5 with a V-6 and 5 speed, xtra cab, 31" tires. It was an excellent truck that I put 100k on before I sold it when we had our 2nd kid (no room for seating or we would probably still own it). We put 5000 miles on it the first 3 weeks we had it, then had it out off roading in the western washington woods and mud a week or 2 after that. Loved that truck.

I also had an 83 celica GT that was a good car. I sold it to my cousin who slid it sideways off the road and into a tree about 3 weeks later. I saw it at a junkyard a few months later and was pissed at him all over again. It was in great shape and fun to drive (another 5 speed, rwd).

Remember the supras with the inline 6 turbo engines? Don't knock them too bad. I've considered getting another early 80's celica and dropping a small block (or maybe now an LS) into it and a stronger axle, something like frizzlefry is doing with the sunbeam (check out the alternate tinkerings part of the board).

I'll admit I don't know a lot about the current line of toys. I'd be surprised though if they weren't built fairly stout.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #1036
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This thread went over 100,000 views last night. Thats pretty cool for a pretty tame build compared to so many others on here. Probably has something to do with longevity, but I hope its been informative or entertaining at times along the way. Thanks for the kind words and support.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #1037
bollybib

congrats on 100k, your truck looks really good

My Daily Driver is a 1969 Chevrolet Custom/20 Fleetside 350/TH400/Eaton H052 4.10
and its Project thread is here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=456911
bollybib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #1038
Low Elco

Sounds to me like good work being appreciated. I personally like how you've gone from the usual fear of body/paint to seemingly effortlessly handling things pros would think twice about. Congrats on the 100k.
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #1039
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollybib View Post
congrats on 100k, your truck looks really good
Thank you, you have a good solid truck too and I think I'll be getting myself one of those napa light warning buzzers. Good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sounds to me like good work being appreciated. I personally like how you've gone from the usual fear of body/paint to seemingly effortlessly handling things pros would think twice about. Congrats on the 100k.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I've learned a lot the past couple years. Some of my best work is on the jimmy project when it comes to making something from nothing.

Its amazing how much your confidence grows when you get a welder that works good too. By far the best investment I made in tools. I have a couple more ideas that I'm going to try on this project or the jimmy or both that I wouldn't have even considered 3 years ago. Now my future shop, barring any major mishaps, will be much larger, with a separate area for fab equipment/tools, a car lift and maybe a paint booth. I have a mental list of some of the bigger tools I'll be getting to fill it as well as upgrades to some of what I have now. I'm hoping that by the time I can retire I'll have a shop where I can basically do anything I want in-house. I'm kinda thinking about supplementing my retirement income by flipping cars or other mechanical equipment. Something to keep me busy doing what I like, but at my own pace.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1040
Low Elco

Hmmmmm? New shop? Evil new shop plans afoot? Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #1041
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Hmmmmm? New shop? Evil new shop plans afoot? Good luck!
Nothing soon. Niether my wife or me are from this area we live in. Once our youngest is done with high school in a few years there is nothing to tie us to this area. Our friends here are mainly through our kids activities. My job allows me some freedom on where we chose to live because I cover a territory from a home based office. So the plan for now is to see what our options are once the kid graduates.

We would prefer to be out of town. Preferably in an area that is more wooded and not quite so flat. In other words, off the prairie. We both have things we would want in our next house. For me its either got to have a fairly large building (a barn or machine shed) as a shop to start with or room to build one of my own design. The wife wants a bigger kitchen and more open floor plan among many other things.

A lot can happen in a few years though. My wife is planning to go back to school this winter. Since I have flexibility in where I live, the next location might be determined by her job. She is also from SE Idaho and her family is there. We have bounced the idea around of moving there again, but then my job might prevent it. So for now we day dream and wait for the circumstances to unfold.

I would love to live out west again. Easier climate, mountains, more open land, less rust, sand dunes, closer to the coast, desert racing, bonneville salt flats, and much more. But I'm from MN and love it here too. We keep the riff raff out by complaining about the weather.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #1042
nuke1

I am liking the idea of movement and change, after all Idaho is a lot closer to Saskatchewan in a round about way! I want out of the city back into the country. I totally understand what you are feeling and my wife is the same way about our house, hopefully bigger soon. You know what, just move up here, climate is close to yours, mountains are close, sand dunes..... Job structure is fantastic right now. All is good. What do you think! Hehe
Posted via Mobile Device
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #1043
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
I am liking the idea of movement and change, after all Idaho is a lot closer to Saskatchewan in a round about way! I want out of the city back into the country. I totally understand what you are feeling and my wife is the same way about our house, hopefully bigger soon. You know what, just move up here, climate is close to yours, mountains are close, sand dunes..... Job structure is fantastic right now. All is good. What do you think! Hehe
Posted via Mobile Device
Can't do it. For my job in Canada I'd have to work for the government. I did that a couple times (once in the navy and once for the state of MN), not going to happen again. But there are some ASME code shops up there to support the oil boom that would be an option and I have some experience with that, hmmm. But when you say the climate is close to ours, what you really mean is that it is not way worse, just marginally worse. There's mountains by Saskatoon? I can get to the Black Hills in 8 hours, where's your closest mountains? Although I am a hockey fan...but I'd be at the games in my Wild gear and getting jeered. Nope, can't do it.

How about if you and me both move our families to Idaho instead. You'll love it.

I have no regrets about where we live now. Its a good place to raise the kids and its a good community. I'm 2 blocks from the parts store, 1 block from the body shop, 1/2 block from the gas station and the dairy queen (Mmmm blizzards). I grew up in a small town and/or out of town and its where my comfort zone is. We just want better scenery out the window.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #1044
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went to an estate auction today. Ended up buying an old bedroom set for my daughter, among other things like a spear fishing gun and a scythe and a giant sledge hammer, etc. Sure is nice having a truck to haul stuff around...
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #1045
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to see a real nice truck still being used as a truck!

Bill's Gallery
Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #1046
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My truck has been in storage for a few weeks now. I miss it. First time in many many years it hasn't been on my property for me to trip over, work on, ignore, pile crap on, stare at and wonder what's next, take for a drive, or just to see it sitting there waiting for me to acknowledge its existence. I really do miss it.

I even have new parts to put on once I bring it home. Like gifts for my spouse after a long trip away. Welcome home sweetheart! Do you like the new heater motor switch, tachometer and air filter nut I got you? I hope the valve cover breather fits now with the new grommet. Didn't you miss me?

Weird, I know.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:36 PM   #1047
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=d9l1xE8PqDY
Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM   #1048
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
My truck has been in storage for a few weeks now. I miss it. First time in many many years it hasn't been on my property for me to trip over, work on, ignore, pile crap on, stare at and wonder what's next, take for a drive, or just to see it sitting there waiting for me to acknowledge its existence. I really do miss it.

Weird, I know.
Mine both seem to be all of the above except the "work on" part. Kno0w what you mean about the odd feelings.

Bill's Gallery
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #1049
Steve-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post

I even have new parts to put on once I bring it home. Like gifts for my spouse after a long trip away. Welcome home sweetheart! Do you like the new heater motor switch, tachometer and air filter nut I got you? I hope the valve cover breather fits now with the new grommet. Didn't you miss me?

Weird, I know.
Well I know what you're talking about..I got in heaps of trouble the other day when my wife asked me:"It seems you love your truck more than me" and I didn't come up with a satisfying response inmediatly...
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #1050
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Mine both seem to be all of the above except the "work on" part. Kno0w what you mean about the odd feelings.
I hear ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Well I know what you're talking about..I got in heaps of trouble the other day when my wife asked me:"It seems you love your truck more than me" and I didn't come up with a satisfying response inmediatly...
LOL, I almost snorted pop out my nose when I read that. Dude, you have got to work on your communication skilz. That would mean the look of death in my house.

Here are some handy lines...
"It's a different kind of love, it can't compete with you."
"No matter how much time I spend with it, it is not a replacement for you."
"I just love having something to work on. If it wasn't this, it would be something else."
"Don't worry, it doesn't love me back like you do."

I'm sure there are many others that have their favorite lines to appease the spouse. Go ahead and share them here if you like.