The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #1051
swamp rat

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Wanted to get the tailgate and cowl edged and installed. That didn't happen. But the hood is on and the driver side has been blocked with 220 grit.

Need to touch up a few spots, then hit it with 320. Tailgate and cowl soon.

Part of the reason I didn't get all I wanted done is that I wanted to celebrate having a full weekend off and some good weather with some outdoor cooking. The rest of the reason is a bit of laziness.

Notice the smoke rolling out? That is not burning food my friends.

That is pure goodness right there.

Remington Wide Brute, I just replaced a set of the Remingtons today with a fresh set of BFG's, your are the first and only other set i have seen on a truck since i bought them way back about 1993.. Lasted forever. Oh, yea them ribs look great indeed!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #1052
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Remington Wide Brute, I just replaced a set of the Remingtons today with a fresh set of BFG's, your are the first and only other set i have seen on a truck since i bought them way back about 1993.. Lasted forever. Oh, yea them ribs look great indeed!
Haha, I bought them used from another board member. I just need them to last long enough for me to beat around on until I can afford to get something newer and maybe a bit bigger, like 33". Those ribs were real good. The turkey I smoked wednesday was excellent too.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 AM   #1053
swamp rat

Ribs turkey and Godsmack, better have a barley pop with that!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-20-2013, 06:03 PM   #1054
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Alright you needy bastages. Your higher maintenance than my wife. But you managed to harrass me out to the garage and yank sheetmetal around on the Jimmy.

And I'm not gonna sand on it tonight no matter how much you guys goad me. I'm getting the dining room floor done. Maybe. If I don't go for a cruise instead.
That's good news! Hope you didn't take my post above wrong, I wrote it immediately after reading what, 5 yrs and 45 pages worth of thread, always waiting for the payoff in the form of finished truck pics, and may have been a mite disappointed. All meant as a compliment of the highest order, I could have written more but didn't have room, time, or the inclination to give you TOO big a head. Real impressed with what you've done.

Quote:
Didn't make it to the car show in St Paul. But spent some good time with the wife. Some days I think we have no chance. Other days I think it's a sure thing. Reality is somewhere in between. Everyday that goes by where we can enjoy each others company is another step in the right direction.

But there is another show tonight that is closer.
And this is better news. Pullin' (and praying) for you more here than on the Jimmy.
Enjoy the show if you decide to go.

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #1055
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
That's good news! Hope you didn't take my post above wrong, I wrote it immediately after reading what, 5 yrs and 45 pages worth of thread, always waiting for the payoff in the form of finished truck pics, and may have been a mite disappointed. All meant as a compliment of the highest order, I could have written more but didn't have room, time, or the inclination to give you TOO big a head. Real impressed with what you've done.

And this is better news. Pullin' (and praying) for you more here than on the Jimmy.
Enjoy the show if you decide to go.
It's all good. I was just playing and wasn't offended by anything anyone has written. And thanks for the kind words and support. Didn't go to the show, but took in the local cruise. It was the first time I went and my son got to drive home, which made his day.

Didn't take many pics...

The softball tourny didn't go too well, and the season is over. The good news is that opened up my sunday and I'm thinking about heading back to St Paul and going to the Car Craft Summer Nationals I missed friday.
http://www.carcraft.com/2013/summer_nationals/

Or just stay home and work some more. Dining room is almost done, but it was just 1 item out of many on my to do list.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #1056
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Ribs turkey and Godsmack, better have a barley pop with that!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #1057
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Looks like you're having a great time man! Keep on keeping on. Snow balls will be hitting us in the azz sooner than we think.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #1058
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Looks like you're having a great time man! Keep on keeping on. Snow balls will be hitting us in the azz sooner than we think.
Regardless of what happens in my personal life, I still have a great family, a great job, a nice place to live, a garage to play in, the skill to keep myself entertained and I know in my mind and in my heart I'll be alright.

I had some time to kill before a softball game the other day and saw a sign for a garage sale at a storage unit nearby. Checked it out and left with this nifty jerry can for $10. Should look good painted and mounted on the jimmy somewhere.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #1059
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That's a nice can for $10. I saw one at an antique store this weekend and they wanted $45 for it. I was out.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #1060
Low Elco

That'll look cool painted to match and mounted on the custom spare rack on the back. Good score!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #1061
Dale99

I just picked one of them cans up. But I dont have a nozzle for it.
Dale99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:11 AM   #1062
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Nice can. It'll give the Jimmy a real tough look, fit right in with the roll bar and front bumper, etc. Can't wait to see it progress some more, but of course you gotta do what ya gotta do, family first, job second, Jimmy where it winds up on the priority list.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #1063
swamp rat

Quote:

That works!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-25-2013, 11:37 PM   #1064
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I had a pretty dirty work day today, and pretty much finished up the indoor projects I had started, sooooo.... I sanded. Its as bad as I remember it being. Blech.

Looks no different, but its fresh pics from tonight.

There are a couple small bare metal spots I need to touch up, then wipe it down with a wax/grease remover again (been sitting in a filthy garage for months with me touching it all up and rubbing against it with greasy mits) then wet sand this side, the tailgate and the cowl.

I'm trying to find the motivation for this again. Something that's building it back up now is that my son will be getting senior pics taken soon. He asked about taking some with my C-10, but I just don't like the idea. I don't think I'm the only one that thinks it's odd when I see the sr pics and the kid is sitting by someone elses car/truck. Back when I graduated my classmates that got pics with a car had their own car in the pics. And the C-10 just seems to be too much mine for me to share it like that. Is that weird? Probably is. I don't care. I accept my weirdness for what it is.

But the Jimmy, even though it's being built entirely by me, just seems different. Somehow it's more okay to share it. So I would like to get the paint on it and get it on the road fairly soon so he has it as an option for pics this fall.

And I do really want to drive it and enjoy it some before the snow flies. Cripes it's almost August already.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #1065
Low Elco

Doesn't sound crazy to me... I kinda like the sentiment. You get in the sanding mode, it goes pretty quick. Tough getting in the mode, though, I'm fighting it myself. Progress!
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:53 AM   #1066
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Doesn't sound crazy to me... I kinda like the sentiment. You get in the sanding mode, it goes pretty quick. Tough getting in the mode, though, I'm fighting it myself. Progress!
Posted via Mobile Device
He said it,I gotta agree.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #1067
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Figured I wasn't alone in that. Being weird you know.

Quote:
He said it,I gotta agree.
That makes 3 of us.

Didn't do much today on it, but got it started for the 1st time in months. Charging the battery. I ordered a new kickdown cable, new aluminum tranny pan, and hopefully I have the right O-rings in my kit to try and seal the tranny as much as possible. I don't think the guys at the body shop want an oil slick in the paint booth. Also ordered a few extra supplies for the paint job. I got it all through summit racing, so I can't run out during the job and just get more. It's cheap enough to just order an extra quart. Might need it for touch ups down the road anyway.

Should get the wet sanding done this weekend. Work on the tranny next week and clean everything up to start taping it. Paint soon my friends.

Here's the pan I ordered...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/140828632919...84.m1497.l2649

Kinda spiffy, I know. But I think I will get a better pan seal with it.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #1068
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Went to a family reunion today. Took the C-10. 300 mile round trip. But before that, when I went out to the garage to get it ready to go, I was hit in the face with a pungent odor and the sound of a charger on high power and the site of steam wisping out of the jimmy battery. YIKES!

I pulled the plug and terminal clamps off quick like. And left if to cool. The sides of the battery were ballooning out, vapor leaking and dripping below. Didn't have the time to mess with it. Got home about 9 hours later and that battery was still warm, but the swelling had gone down. I removed it and set it out side. Doesn't look like the casing cracked so no major spillage. Doesn't look like any damage to anything other than the battery. The positive cable was off during the charge. I checked it last night before bed, no problems. The draw was down to 10 amps, the charger maxes at 25 amps. Went to bed and almost blew that sucker up. Close call. Battery was less than 2 years old.

Need to see if I got a warrantee or not. Dura-Start battery, which I think I got at a K-mart, but they are now part of sears and selling diehards. Hopefully I have the receipt somewhere.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #1069
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Close call, coulda burnt the house down with everybody in it. Try not to use it (your luck) all up, OK, we kinda like you around here!

Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #1070
swamp rat

Yikes! definitely glad you caught it in time!

As a general rule if not using my float charger, i will never set my regular charger to more than 2 amps for an over night charge.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 07-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #1071
Bomp

Glad you caught it in time. Whew....
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #1072
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Close call, coulda burnt the house down with everybody in it. Try not to use it (your luck) all up, OK, we kinda like you around here!
My garage is not attached to the house, which has some advantages with fumes, fires, etc. I kinda like me around here also.

Quote:
Yikes! definitely glad you caught it in time!

As a general rule if not using my float charger, i will never set my regular charger to more than 2 amps for an over night charge.
This is one of those smart chargers that is supposed to detect these kinds of problems. Good tip though. It has a battery recondition setting that I should have used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Glad you caught it in time. Whew....
Me too. Don't want to think of the what ifs...

Gonna do some wet sanding today. And drill the holes for the single wall top. Maybe more. It's full out garage day today.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #1073
Bomp

Quote:

Gonna do some wet sanding today. And drill the holes for the single wall top. Maybe more. It's full out garage day today.
Considering breaking the other foot to get back out to the shop.
Been slammin' it full out at work to catch back up for the four month foot ordeal. The other two welders I work with are Newbies (they are good welders but being new they are slow).

"Full out garage day" Rock it Bigtime
Have Fun
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #1074
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I did get a bunch of wet sanding done and drilled the holes for the single wall top. So now the bed rails are lighter and will improve my HP:weight ratio. I'm considering spraying more primer though. I got a couple spots that are full of porosity and will definitely need more primer. And other little problem areas. Gonna clean it up, start taping and see what ends up falling out of my brain as I think on it.

I should really pull the cowl, get the wiper parts painted and then put it back on before painting. And I can't forget to drill the holes in the fender for the grill mounting. I should go do that now actually. Always more little details coming up.

I took the half top off and cleaned the old dried moss off it with the pressure washer. But had a delay in that because the carb on the pressure washer needed to be cleaned out. Gotta shorten the top some more, fix some damage, spray it black eventually.

I went to where I bought the battery and I should have a 2 yr replacement warranty on it so I just need to bring it in for a new one. New parts for the tranny leak fixes were shipped today.

And managed to piss the wife off again (trust me, doesn't take much). Another one of those days where the future wasn't looking so bright.

The mantra... I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me.

My new favorite mantra though is this one...

Old 07-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #1075
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Pics, bed rail with lots of lightening holes...

wet sanded tailgate...

Passenger fender was a GMC 1 with holes for grill eyebrows in place...

Driver side was a 68 chevy fender, no holes...

Cept for now it does...