The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #101
mechanicalman

Re: How much would you spend

Well once you get the shine, cover that thing in wax and behold the great deal you got. Longhorns are a rare truck, so secure that title ASAP.

Yeah, those wheels may have different off-set, not sure about pattern; never hurts to try them on. And, after you remove the old wheels, compare the off-sets. The new wheels may be wider, therefore deeper. On the front, jack it up from the center cross-member then try the wheel on with the a-arms in the dropped position to make sure they clear the a-arms themselves. If the bolt pattern is the same and they clear the a-arms, put jack-stands on the bottom a-arms and let it down on them and check clearance again. You may need to consider the off-set from both edges of the rims. If the outer edges are not too far from the outer edge of the wheel well, then the only concern is clearing the tire on the inside of the wheel well. And of course, do the same on the rears with the jack under the rear axle pumpkin.
NICE!
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #102
Lalla666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Well once you get the shine, cover that thing in wax and behold the great deal you got. Longhorns are a rare truck, so secure that title ASAP.

Yeah, those wheels may have different off-set, not sure about pattern; never hurts to try them on. And, after you remove the old wheels, compare the off-sets. The new wheels may be wider, therefore deeper. On the front, jack it up from the center cross-member then try the wheel on with the a-arms in the dropped position to make sure they clear the a-arms themselves. If the bolt pattern is the same and they clear the a-arms, put jack-stands on the bottom a-arms and let it down on them and check clearance again. You may need to consider the off-set from both edges of the rims. If the outer edges are not too far from the outer edge of the wheel well, then the only concern is clearing the tire on the inside of the wheel well. And of course, do the same on the rears with the jack under the rear axle pumpkin.
NICE!
Well title I don't have but I do I have the previous owners regerstaion, being that the car is so old that is all I need In ct to put it on the road and the problem is with the wheels I have to be sure they fit , before I buy them but right now I'm low on funds so I'm just doin the work on it that I can do for free and so far I made two payments and still trying to pay it off as fast as possible, but I was driveing around the his yard and of cores I had to see if it burn out which it will but defiantly not goin to do that a lot lol it's posi I beleave
Lalla666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 AM   #103
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

Some guys have all the luck!

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #104
Lalla666

Is this true ?

1970 was a carry over year...
with the exception of the inner grill and some options. '70 was also a year of fewer sales for the Longhorn. 5281 3/4 tons were built this time around, and only 1404 wer made with the C/30 designation.

There was only 1404 one ton longhorns made
Old 08-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #105
Lalla666

Ok guys so I went to drive the truck home and it died at the end of my buddy's road so I thought it ran out of gas so I put 5 gallons of gas and it fired up but won't accept throttle so my buddy pull it back to his house I took the filter off and it was covered In rust so I cranked it over with the fuel line disconnected to see if it was pumping and it was not so I'm thinking the line is clogged from the tank to the fuel pump so I think I'm goin to put a filter in the line to the carb and I'm thinking a filter in the line to the fuel pump and I'm goin to shoot some compress air down the fuel line just to get it runing so I can get it on a trailer and trailer it to my house
Old 08-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #106
ericjon262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla666 View Post
Ok guys so I went to drive the truck home and it died at the end of my buddy's road so I thought it ran out of gas so I put 5 gallons of gas and it fired up but won't accept throttle so my buddy pull it back to his house I took the filter off and it was covered In rust so I cranked it over with the fuel line disconnected to see if it was pumping and it was not so I'm thinking the line is clogged from the tank to the fuel pump so I think I'm goin to put a filter in the line to the carb and I'm thinking a filter in the line to the fuel pump and I'm goin to shoot some compress air down the fuel line just to get it runing so I can get it on a trailer and trailer it to my house
nice thing about these trucks is the simplicity of the fuel system. I actually need to work on mine, new lines and filter as well.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #107
Lalla666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
nice thing about these trucks is the simplicity of the fuel system. I actually need to work on mine, new lines and filter as well.
I'm thinkin I'm goin to have to pull the tank and clean it
Old 08-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #108
ericjon262

Quote:
I'm thinkin I'm goin to have to pull the tank and clean it
Probably a good idea.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 PM   #109
Lalla666

Ok guys installed a inline filter,realized my pump isn't pumping so my brand new pump went bad
Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 PM   #110
dfrank

Quote:
Ok guys installed a inline filter,realized my pump isn't pumping so my brand new pump went bad
It probably sucked some crap into it.
dfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #111
Lalla666

Probully, I put the filter on notice it wasnt getting gas so I crawled under the truck and notice the soft line from the tank to the hard line on the frame rail was dry rotted so I changed it then I blew compressed air in the line from the pump to the tank an its clear then I add more gas then I disconnect the line at the sending unit and put a rubber line to a bottle of gas to see if it pumps and had no luck also put my finger over the line and it did have a suction effect
Old 08-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #112
swamp rat

Quote:
Probully, I put the filter on notice it wasnt getting gas so I crawled under the truck and notice the soft line from the tank to the hard line on the frame rail was dry rotted so I changed it then I blew compressed air in the line from the pump to the tank an its clear then I add more gas then I disconnect the line at the sending unit and put a rubber line to a bottle of gas to see if it pumps and had no luck also put my finger over the line and it did have a suction effect

Make sure you used fuel line and not vacuum hose as fuel line won't collapse from the pump suction. I assume you mean fuel pump and not sending unit.

Are you sure you didn't reverse the lines at the pump?

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #113
Lalla666

I couldn't reverse the lines one is metal to the carb then to the tank is rubber to metal on the frame, I was also talking about the sending unit on the top of the gas tank in the cab
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #114
Lalla666

Ok guys I can't figure it out I changed the fuel pump again add a filter at the tank and after the pump and there's now gas coming from the tank, I blew compressed air threw the lines and I heard the bubbling sound from the tank, do I have to prime the system or something, I put 10 gallons of fresh gas, and I'm getting nothing to or from the pump
Old 09-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #115
mechanicalman

I assume you pushed the fuel pump pushrod up against the camshaft and held it in place with a bolt finger tight through the front of the engine, then released the bolt after you installed the pump. Always put a very short bolt back into the hole afterwards to prevent the PCV from sucking dirty air into the engine.

I have heard of the fuel pump eccentric lobes wearing off, albeit rare.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #116
mechanicalman

Also I've seen bent fuel pump push-rods from over-tightened retention bolt, again, it should be no tighter than it needs to be to hold the rod up and then released after assembly.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #117
Lalla666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Also I've seen bent fuel pump push-rods from over-tightened retention bolt, again, it should be no tighter than it needs to be to hold the rod up and then released after assembly.
I took the two lines of the pump, loosen the two screws to take the pump off, slid my finger in there to hold the metal sleeve that rides the cam,to push the pump up and down,slid the new pump in making sure to hold the metal piece up and reassembled it,also had no idea there was a bolt in the front of the engine
Old 09-03-2014, 10:02 AM   #118
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

Quote:
I took the two lines of the pump, loosen the two screws to take the pump off, slid my finger in there to hold the metal sleeve that rides the cam,to push the pump up and down,slid the new pump in making sure to hold the metal piece up and reassembled it,also had no idea there was a bolt in the front of the engine
that is how Ive done a couple and it works but sometimes it takes a while to get the rod stay up where it should be. its possible it slid down a little too far and is binding. wouldnt hurt to draw some fuel through the line as you hook up to the pump. also be sure to only use a metal filter if you must use a filter between the pump and carb. I also use high temp fuel braided or metal lines only going to the carb. Ive heard of many of these trucks burning down when that line fails on the pressure side. Cool truck, hoping to see more pics

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #119
Lalla666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
that is how Ive done a couple and it works but sometimes it takes a while to get the rod stay up where it should be. its possible it slid down a little too far and is binding. wouldnt hurt to draw some fuel through the line as you hook up to the pump. also be sure to only use a metal filter if you must use a filter between the pump and carb. I also use high temp fuel braided or metal lines only going to the carb. Ive heard of many of these trucks burning down when that line fails on the pressure side. Cool truck, hoping to see more pics
Thanks for the tips on the filters, right now I have cheap plastic ones and rubber fuel line, I still think it's something in the tank because Nothing is drawing from it I'm goin to disconnect the line at the bottom of the truck and put it in to a gas can and see if it pumps then
Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #120
ole dollor

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the filters, right now I have cheap plastic ones and rubber fuel line, I still think it's something in the tank because Nothing is drawing from it I'm goin to disconnect the line at the bottom of the truck and put it in to a gas can and see if it pumps then
one more thing you might try, take the fuel sending unit out of the tank and check the sock on the sending unit, and see if the gas pipe on the sending unit might be stopped up.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #121
Lalla666

Well guys I figured the pump I bought was no good right out at of the box so got a new one and pump Push rod tried starting it and still nothing so ran a hose to a bottle of gas and tried again and it worked so I took the sending unit out and it was clogged and shot so I unclogged it and put it back I together to drive on to a drive it on a trailer to my house so I'm going to its a sending unit from lmc

Also my ford buddy had a great day towing a chevy and I laugh to because I'm a ford guy to lol !!!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:24 PM   #122
Lalla666

Well guys I figured the pump I bought was no good right out at of the box so got a new one and pump Push rod tried starting it and still nothing so ran a hose to a bottle of gas and tried again and it worked so I took the sending unit out and it was clogged and shot so I unclogged it and put it back I together to drive on to a drive it on a trailer to my house so I'm going to its a sending unit from lmc

Also my ford buddy had a great day towing a chevy and I laugh to because I'm a ford guy to lol !!!

Old 09-14-2014, 05:31 PM   #123
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

FYI, you can get higher quality parts if you look to companies other than LMC. Not sure about sending units but other things the quality is noticeably better from the other vendors.

67 GMC K1500 Custom- 305V6 SM420, PTO, Ram Assist, yellow (the outcast) (project period correct upgrades)
67 GMC C2500 351V6 TH400, AC, PS, PB (can't decide what to do with. Update, decided to keep and will restore )
86 CHV K30 502 th400, apple red NEW
71 CHV K20 350 SM465, ochre (saved work truck)
71 CHV K20 292 SM465, white, tach, PTO, (future project)
72 CHV K20 350 350th, medium blue (project stocker)
01 CHV K2500hd crew, indigo blue

^3 dont run and the others don't see winter either
'86 K30 Cummins "Fireside" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=649649
'71 K20 "get driveable" thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=590642
'72 K20 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=493477&page=6
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #124
Lalla666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Windmills View Post
FYI, you can get higher quality parts if you look to companies other than LMC. Not sure about sending units but other things the quality is noticeably better from the other vendors.
Thanks what are some of the other venders ? But autozone and advance didn't have the sending unit lol
Old 09-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #125
swamp rat

I think your dealing with a rusty tank problem, i'd remove it and try and clean it out a bit and use a flash light to look inside to see how much rust is in it, if its a lot then i'd replace it, my sock was off white color and it was the original sending unit.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote