The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 AM   #101
streetstar

Re: My new toy !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Thanks for all the info man, I need to find some more time so I can get more numbers off it

Where on, in, or under the dash is the Protect-O-Plate ???

And just out of curiosity, what do you think my stuff / car is worth ???

20k as it sits- all day long - (i assume you paid less, but i am not gonna pry) --- one of the other board members said 30-- but i think thats optimistic-- that block looks harsh, and it may cost less to locate another one than to salvage that one. If you get away from ebay and find out what these things sell for regularly in the real world in good restored condition -- its 40 - 50k - (maybe more if you do an exceptional job on the restore--- but these things are like stocks - the prices fluctuate a little bit, but will likely never go below 40k (i have seen some $80,000 Z's, with the factory cross ram intake and headers in unrestored survivor condition - but these are the exception ---- its just like our trucks except the price scale is shifted up 20 or 30 grand.

For example, there are thousands of very nice $10 - 15,000 trucks like ours to be had out there, but not as many that are truly worth 20 - 25,000, with the most valuable being a high option "survivor" truck that hasnt had a wrench turned on it other than to service it. The 69 Camaros are similar in that respect with a big difference --- its extremely hard to buy a "starter" 69 Camaro for a couple grand anymore like you can with a truck --- takes more like 10k. And the end result is worth much more as well. Unfortunately, the correct resto parts are also much more than truck stuff -- but you have probably already seen this on the net. But like our trucks, you get out what you put in it

The 69 camaro is a 1 year body style, much like the 57 Chevy. Being one of roughly 19,000 made that year makes it rarer, because a lot of 69 camaros were produced (and many didnt survive the 70's ------ think about it, how many 3rd gen Camaros do you really see anymore as well?--- the same thing happened to these back then, they were just used cars back then and got used up and crushed)

A drum braked, straight 6 secretary car from 1969 is worth 25k if its nice, just because its a 69. A nice 67 or 68 is worth thousands less--- just like comparing a SWB CST to a LWB CST in our little truck world.

Some of the big block cars are more rare than the Z's -- and i dont even pretend to know as much as Z10kl, or the other dude on here that is in tune with these------- but the Z28 was awesome because it was all about performance -- no air, solid lifters, 4 speed, anti-slosh foam and dual pickups in some of the fuel tanks, the 302, you can go on and on.

It would have been easy to cop out and produce 700 302's and then just make the rest 350's--- or a sticker package , but they stuck true to the theme (700 was what was required for production rules Trans Am racing, thats why only 702 Z's were made in '67. The DZ block from 69 was the first time the 4 bolt block was used for such a small engine though

Those were great cars - have fun with yours. With a car like yours, its easy to just go out in the shop and be absorbed in it for hours just by its prescence -- but when you break it down, its all just nuts and bolts when it comes to the restoration -- it was built by a man, not forged by the hammer of Thor or anything, so dont overcomplicate the re-build and stick true to your theme--- when your done, it might be worth 60k or more.

Last edited by streetstar; 11-03-2007 at 12:33 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 09:49 PM   #102
z10kl

The protecto plate is not part of the car. It was in the dash attached to the warranty booklet. It has the original owners name on it and was used like a credit card for warranty work. The print was reversed. Is is important for proving what the cars original drivetrain was. But they are also being faked and aged now also. If not in the dash after 38 years sometimes people have them somewhere in their important papers. It is rare to have an original one. But the fewer owners a car has the better chance to get it.
Two things we haven't talked about I would check. The rear end codes. Look on the pass side axle tube facing forward. Might need that wire brush again. Looking for something like

BU 0414G2 That would be 373 possi, 4th month 14th day
E
Possi was an option and not standard on the Z or any 69
Also check to see if it was an original spoiler car. On an original car the trunk lid will raise when you turn the key. Sometimes the springs are weak but you can look at them and one will be a larger diameter than the other. It is stronger for the weight of the spoiler. The springs are really rods running side to side between the trunk hinges. You can also check to see if it had a front one by looking for a bolt hole on the bottom of the subframe on the short piece running front to rear between the two cross members. Not the tranny one but the permenent ones under the balancer and the engine. If it don't have the hole in the subframe it didn,t have either spoiler from the factory.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:06 PM   #103
z10kl

Whats it worth? Well I was the one who threw out 30K. A year and a half ago it probably was. Someone said 20k. I think realistically somewhere in the middle it would probably sell. The market is off. Values are down and not as many people can buy even if they want to. If the block could be salvaged is a big consideration. But you could stamp a correct block with the ASSEMBLY DATE ONLY matching the one on the original and keep the original block with the car to be sold with the car and to me its worth more than a car with just a correct block. The block is important documentation for it being a Z because of the DZ stamping and the broach marks. There are some colors that bring more, Hugger orange is one and some that people don,t want. Like burnished brown, But I think the greens are in the middle and some really like Fathom green. The white stripes really help it stand out. A lot of no pays on ZBay. If you want to sell it post it on Camaros .net and let someone do it right. Whatever you do don't try a quickey resto for resell. You want get top dollar and you may not finish it and lose money. If you decide to sell it the most profit is now before you spend anything or take it apart.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #104
mcubedntx

Smile Re: My new toy !!!

Not sure, but I may have some items your looking for. It would take some digging, what casting number are the heads? Also, think I may have a Muncie and the factory intake as well, can't remember what number that intake is either. I will do some checking and maybe take some pics if your interested, might even see what valve covers I have as well. I have a new find I have to go tow and load here pretty soon and it was a steel, at least from what I can see so far. That is an awesome find!!! Congrats and good luck!!! My cousin had one back in the early 80's, had the DZ 302 and everything matched, I think he bought it for like $2500 and sold it a few years later for like $25k. My new find is parked in a field, however this old lady also has a 78' Vette in the garage under a car cover and I plan on doing some major question asking when I go pay her for my little project.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:56 AM   #105
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcubedntx View Post
Not sure, but I may have some items your looking for. It would take some digging, what casting number are the heads? Also, think I may have a Muncie and the factory intake as well, can't remember what number that intake is either. I will do some checking and maybe take some pics if your interested, might even see what valve covers I have as well. I have a new find I have to go tow and load here pretty soon and it was a steel, at least from what I can see so far. That is an awesome find!!! Congrats and good luck!!! My cousin had one back in the early 80's, had the DZ 302 and everything matched, I think he bought it for like $2500 and sold it a few years later for like $25k. My new find is parked in a field, however this old lady also has a 78' Vette in the garage under a car cover and I plan on doing some major question asking when I go pay her for my little project.
Sounds cool

I still haven't got my head numbers off it yet

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #106
z10kl

He needs intake 472, last 3 digets and 4053 holley. 186 heads
Old 11-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #107
mcubedntx

I will do some checking over the next few days and see what I have, might take a few photos as well. Got a whole lot of stuff to get rid of, just been too lazy to go through it all. I'll see what I can dig up and get back in touch with you.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #108
mrchevy1967

when i was 17 i found a fathom green Z that had been sitting since 74. bought for 730 bucks and i ended up being the second owner. I sold it when i got married for not enough. Don't ever let that car go I would love to trade my truck for that. but i know you won't go for it. Nice find!!
mrchevy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #109
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Hey guys, I'm still interested in parts ya'll might have around...

Killer
Old 08-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #110
19gmc67

any progress?
19gmc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #111
90\87Formula

Nice score. Setting there for 30+ years; you're lucky there weren't trees growing up through the car.
90\87Formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #112
ed2552

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19gmc67 View Post
any progress?
X2!!
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 PM   #113
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

No, this project is sitting waiting its turn while I save money

Killer
Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #114
OARNGESI

Anything ver happen to this
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #115
OLDIRON69

Funny you dig this up, my buddy bought a carb at a swap meet for a Rustang he has and found out it was a factory Camaro carb. (highly sought after) bought for $50, sold for $1200 on fleabay!
69 Dodge Charger-440/4spd
OLDIRON69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #116
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Updates?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #117
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig