The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-31-2010, 01:48 AM   #101
JRBECK64

Re: My Oldest Sons Frankentruck Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
Truck is looking great! Can't wait to get my grille on...they really look like a truck with the grille on
I agree, it really makes it look like its almost finished. My Upholster is coming to pick up the inner door panels and the Dash Pad tomorrow cause they really look tacky (to much padding). I am going to have him two tone them like the Seat and not so much padding in them. Hopefully he wont take a month this time. Either way its not going to stop me from finishing it mechanically. Once I get this thing started, its strait to the Tranny Shop, then the Exhaust shop then the alignment shop. Then its going to be all about driving the bugs out of it. How much more do you have to do to have your blazer back on the road?

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #102
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
I agree, it really makes it look like its almost finished. My Upholster is coming to pick up the inner door panels and the Dash Pad tomorrow cause they really look tacky (to much padding). I am going to have him two tone them like the Seat and not so much padding in them. Hopefully he wont take a month this time. Either way its not going to stop me from finishing it mechanically. Once I get this thing started, its strait to the Tranny Shop, then the Exhaust shop then the alignment shop. Then its going to be all about driving the bugs out of it. How much more do you have to do to have your blazer back on the road?

JRBECK64
Really just final alignment of panels, and the interior...then throw the grille and bumpers on as soon as I get the grille. Will be putting in a lot of time in the next week to hopefully get it done. It's a running driving truck now...less than 500 miles on a fully rebuilt tranny, new torque converter, fully rebuilt engine, hot tanked orginal rad, new brakes, new wiring, new suspension, new mounts, etc etc etc....

After a week of sitting you push the gas pedal; and touch the key and it starts right up
Old 07-31-2010, 02:14 AM   #103
JRBECK64

Quote:
Really just final alignment of panels, and the interior...then throw the grille and bumpers on as soon as I get the grille. Will be putting in a lot of time in the next week to hopefully get it done. It's a running driving truck now...less than 500 miles on a fully rebuilt tranny, new torque converter, fully rebuilt engine, hot tanked orginal rad, new brakes, new wiring, new suspension, new mounts, etc etc etc....

After a week of sitting you push the gas pedal; and touch the key and it starts right up
VA72C10,
How long you been working on the Blazer? Sounds like its a brand new truck, and I really like the color.. My Son is getting impatient about getting his truck and I know its going to kill him while I drive this thing during the debugging phase. Oh well I guess thats one way to learn Patients.

JRBECK64
Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 AM   #104
VA72C10
VA72C10

I actually found it in the very end of April on the local Craigslist. A project given up on very close to completion. My plan from the beginning has been to finish it up and sell it to put some savings in the bank and use the remainder of the funds for my other project.....a slammed, shaved truck.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #105
JRBECK64

We got the Tailgate installed and did it without scratching or chipping the paint. It was a breeze compared to putting in My Sons 64 Tailgate. Here are a few pics of it installed.

JRBECK64

Old 08-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #106
67cheby
67cheby

looks SLICK
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #107
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
looks SLICK
Thanks,
You wouldn't believe how much I was sweating putting the tailgate in after the pain in the butt my Younger Sons 64 Tailgate gave us. This thing went in so easy you wouldn't believe it. I did find that it was a little bowed in the center once I got it in but the overall fit is pretty good. Now its on to putting on all the moldings and getting this thing started.

JRBECK64
Old 08-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #108
67cheby
67cheby

i plan on doing mine like the 73 and up ones, on one side weld on the oblong looking trunion and weld it on to one of my factory ones and then notch the bottom of the tailgate , to slide on and off, i havent done it yet just the idea i am toying with
Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #109
JRBECK64

Quote:
i plan on doing mine like the 73 and up ones, on one side weld on the oblong looking trunion and weld it on to one of my factory ones and then notch the bottom of the tailgate , to slide on and off, i havent done it yet just the idea i am toying with
67cheby,
Not quite following you on your idea. What will this benefit? The ease of taking the tailgate on and off or what?

JRBECK64
Old 08-02-2010, 01:35 PM   #110
67cheby
67cheby

yes the ease of taking it on and off, no sliding the mounts down the freshly painted chanels to bolt it on, i dont have a pic of a 73 one or i would show you
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #111
JRBECK64

Quote:
yes the ease of taking it on and off, no sliding the mounts down the freshly painted chanels to bolt it on, i dont have a pic of a 73 one or i would show you
67cheby,
That makes a lot of sense. I am getting ready to start a resto on a 67 Shortwide as soon as we are done with this truck. I would be interested in seeing how that idea turns out.

JRBECK64
Old 08-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #112
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Thanks,
You wouldn't believe how much I was sweating putting the tailgate in after the pain in the butt my Younger Sons 64 Tailgate gave us. This thing went in so easy you wouldn't believe it. I did find that it was a little bowed in the center once I got it in but the overall fit is pretty good. Now its on to putting on all the moldings and getting this thing started.

JRBECK64
You should probably be thankful to the slight bow as it was likely what made your gate slide in easier
Old 08-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #113
Redneck72

Quote:
Thanks,

JRBECK64
I want Youtube footage when you finally crank that bad boy up....I can just imagine how badazz that is going to sound. Not to mention we can share in your achievement more thoroughly... I am getting ancy to see it all put back together. I am also looking forward to following the build on your 67 shortie.

Paul
Redneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #114
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck72 View Post
I want Youtube footage when you finally crank that bad boy up....I can just imagine how badazz that is going to sound. Not to mention we can share in your achievement more thoroughly... I am getting ancy to see it all put back together. I am also looking forward to following the build on your 67 shortie.

Paul
Redneck72,
I will have to get my Son to post it on youtube, Im what you might call a bit on the Technology Challenged Side. Im kind of wondering how its going to sound myself. I hooked back up the original Y Pipe and hung one of the Thrush Mufflers about even with the back of the Cab. When I get this thing running and moving its going Strait to the Tranny Shop to get the 200r4 adjusted and then its off to the muffler shop where he will putt a Dual exhaust out the back. Then its off to the Alignment shop to get them front tires setting right. Here are a few pics of what we accomplished today. We installed the Grill, Front Bumper and the Side View Mirrors.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #115
VA72C10
VA72C10

Keep up the progress and it'll be on the road in no time!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #116
JRBECK64

Quote:
Keep up the progress and it'll be on the road in no time!!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I bought all the fluids today to make this thing ready to start. If I can make some major headway today I might just get this thing started tonight. If I do I will have my Son Video it.

JRBECK64
Old 08-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #117
Redneck72

Quote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I bought all the fluids today to make this thing ready to start. If I can make some major headway today I might just get this thing started tonight. If I do I will have my Son Video it.

JRBECK64
Oh I think I am getting Giddy...lol. Can't wait to see it running. That thing is looking stellar. Well I decided before I start a project as intense a yours I need to pay off a few bills first. LOL. So in the mean time I have a buddy who does the yard sale flea market thing, and he is slowly collecting all the different tools and equipment I will need to take on a project like this. The great thing is he has done his fair share of restorations so he knows what I will need. He finds the stuff buys it and then I pay him for it. If I don't want it or have the cash for it he just ebays it off so he doesn't lose out either way. Now I am wondering how long before the wife notices the garage is starting to fill up with equipment.

Last edited by Redneck72; 08-03-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Redneck72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #118
VA72C10
VA72C10

Hope things went well tonight!
Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 AM   #119
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck72 View Post
Oh I think I am getting Giddy...lol. Can't wait to see it running. That thing is looking stellar. Well I decided before I start a project as intense a yours I need to pay off a few bills first. LOL. So in the mean time I have a buddy who does the yard sale flea market thing, and he is slowly collecting all the different tools and equipment I will need to take on a project like this. The great thing is he has done his fair share of restorations so he knows what I will need. He finds the stuff buys it and then I pay him for it. If I don't want it or have the cash for it he just ebays it off so he doesn't lose out either way. Now I am wondering how long before the wife notices the garage is starting to fill up with equipment.
Believe me she (Your Wife) will notice!!! I look forward to watching you get your dream truck and turn it into a new one over time. I didn't quite make it to the running stage today we decided to install all the moldings and that took most of the day. While my Two Sons worked on the moldings I spent most of the day doing the little tedious things, like run new fuel lines, Run the battery Cables, Run the wiring from the Alternator to the fender terminal, Run the Battery Cable to the fender terminal. Then detail out the wiring harneses. I even put a new adjustable TV cable on the tranny and ran it up to the carb. Wire the Starter. I know I said it last night but my Oldest Son, the owner of the truck is comming over tomorrow so he can be here when I lite a fire in all 8 Cylinders. Even my Wife told me to wait till she gets home before I fire it up.

JRBECK64
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 AM   #120
JRBECK64

Quote:
Hope things went well tonight!
VA72C10,
We are really Close. All We have to do is plug in the engine harnesses, hook up the battery and turn the key. I was wondering if I should try to prime the fuel lines before I fire it off. Im really proud of my Sons, they did a great job on the Moldings today. I will post a few pictures of it. Anyway keep your fingers crossed for the starting event tomorrow.

JRBECK64
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 AM   #121
JRBECK64

Here are a few pictures of the progress made today on the truck. We got the Moldings installed and a lot done under the hood. Looks like Tomorrow is the big day for the Initial Start and Breakin on the Cam. I will try to Video it so all can see how it goes.

JRBECK64

Old 08-04-2010, 09:07 AM   #122
VA72C10
VA72C10

Truck looks great! It came out awesome! I think it's cool the whole family will be there for the first firing.

Quick ??? From the looks of it are there larger tires in the front than the rear or is it an illusion?
Old 08-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #123
JRBECK64

Quote:
Truck looks great! It came out awesome! I think it's cool the whole family will be there for the first firing.

Quick ??? From the looks of it are there larger tires in the front than the rear or is it an illusion?
VA72C10,

Its an illusion, they are all 285/75-16's. I told my Son we should put the Black Walls out because the Tires are Yokahama's and I didn't think a Japanize tire would look good on a 69 Chevy Pickup.

Quick ???? back at you. Have you ever started a new engine before and if you did, did you prime the Fuel Line before you started it?

JRBECK64
Old 08-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #124
VA72C10
VA72C10

guess it is the wheel gap difference. It's funny how lighting/shadows can play tricks on your brain

On the engine, the only one I've ever started up brand new was about 12-13 yrs ago in my 80z28. If I remember correctly we put a little fuel directly in the carb. Biggest thing was priming the oil pump and doing a triple check that everything was tight/no wires on headers or in the way of the fan, etc.... Ended up having a plug on the intake we had to take off and put teflon tape on as it leaked antifreeze the first time we started up....
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #125
JRBECK64

Quote:
guess it is the wheel gap difference. It's funny how lighting/shadows can play tricks on your brain

On the engine, the only one I've ever started up brand new was about 12-13 yrs ago in my 80z28. If I remember correctly we put a little fuel directly in the carb. Biggest thing was priming the oil pump and doing a triple check that everything was tight/no wires on headers or in the way of the fan, etc.... Ended up having a plug on the intake we had to take off and put teflon tape on as it leaked antifreeze the first time we started up....
Thanks for the Info, I have a guy that lives down the street that restores old GTO's so Im going to invite him down to take a look at it before we try to fire this thing up, an extra set of eyes never hurts anything.

JRBEKC64