The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #101
Dunenutt
Newbee

Re: Legacy build

Thanks, It's been an interesting 2 years. I've become a truck hermit.

All I did was pop the covers and found pristine gears. I have no clue of the ratio. Like you, I figure I'll deal with that later. I was kind of hoping a set of 60's would fall in my lap, but would'nt be able to run ralleys then.

I agree, 3:42 is probably going to be a little tall. Which trans are you running, do you have a build thread?
Dunenutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #102
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunenutt View Post
Thanks, It's been an interesting 2 years. I've become a truck hermit.

All I did was pop the covers and found pristine gears. I have no clue of the ratio. Like you, I figure I'll deal with that later. I was kind of hoping a set of 60's would fall in my lap, but would'nt be able to run ralleys then.

I agree, 3:42 is probably going to be a little tall. Which trans are you running, do you have a build thread?
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=352570

Mine won't be seeing any dunes, been driving it around the side roads here around the house. I'm thinking with my TH350 these gears might stay.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #103
Dunenutt
Newbee

I've had a pinched nerve in my neck for the last two day's. I really want to put the lockup conversion in my trans, but affraid I would not get back upright again.

So I decided to fire up the mill! I am not going to let the cat out of the bag just yet. I will update pic's until someone guesses what it is, or I screw it up.

Pics...
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #104
mcbassin
Still Learning

Hmmm? Need a few more pictures
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #105
Dunenutt
Newbee

Went to Discount yesterday, because it was the last day of buy 3 get one free sale. Paid for the tires, dropped off my wheels, and left. I got a call about 4 hours later saying they were ready. I drove down there, and my wheels were sitting right where I left them. I did notice a set of KM2's sitting by them though. Walked in, stood in line for 20 min's. Mr. Personality behing the counter says to me, " Those are some nice looking tires, Huh". I replied "Yes, who are they for?". "You", he said very chipperly. I explained to the brain surgeon that they do not match the one I brought in, and is still sitting there. He said they look different because they are new. I patiently explained to him that they look different because they are 2" too wide. Einstien says " Well I got the tread pattern right". I snapped off "Well you shoulda got 35's because it's only two inches different".

Seeing that I was about to climb over the counter and get arrested, an older gentleman took over the situation. It seems as though my tires are on national backorder! I calmly explained to the gentleman ( loud enough for the 20 people standing there could hear), that there has to be 4 33x10.50-15 KM2's in this country. They may not be snuggled happily together, but there are 4 orphans that want to be a family. He made ALOT of phone calls, and started typing on his confuser. As the clock ticked away, I watched as the scientists in the back rolled my freshly painted ralleys to the machines. Then they proceeded to truck the 33x12.50's to the back. I interrupted the gentleman that was looking for my tires, and pointed. Let's just say, he stopped them.

Anyway, I am getting the correct tires from Nevada on Thursday. Apparently there were some orphans in area 51 looking for a home. Maybe they will glow in the dark!

Got to go paint my one primered wheel ( the reason they had a sample tire to look at) so it can dry by Thursday.

Long post, but I feel better now!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #106
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Hmmm? Need a few more pictures
If I had my mill with me at Discount yesterday, I would be done with it by now, LOL.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #107
Dunenutt
Newbee

I got in some mill time yesterday...
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #108
Dunenutt
Newbee

A few more yesterday...

Still have some machining to do, then fly cut it, and brush it. Some people that have seen it like the mill marks, It looks cool, but does'nt match the dash panel.
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #109
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Went to Discount yesterday, because it was the last day of buy 3 get one free sale. Paid for the tires, dropped off my wheels, and left. I got a call about 4 hours later saying they were ready. I drove down there, and my wheels were sitting right where I left them. I did notice a set of KM2's sitting by them though. Walked in, stood in line for 20 min's. Mr. Personality behing the counter says to me, " Those are some nice looking tires, Huh". I replied "Yes, who are they for?". "You", he said very chipperly. I explained to the brain surgeon that they do not match the one I brought in, and is still sitting there. He said they look different because they are new. I patiently explained to him that they look different because they are 2" too wide. Einstien says " Well I got the tread pattern right". I snapped off "Well you shoulda got 35's because it's only two inches different".

Seeing that I was about to climb over the counter and get arrested, an older gentleman took over the situation. It seems as though my tires are on national backorder! I calmly explained to the gentleman ( loud enough for the 20 people standing there could hear), that there has to be 4 33x10.50-15 KM2's in this country. They may not be snuggled happily together, but there are 4 orphans that want to be a family. He made ALOT of phone calls, and started typing on his confuser. As the clock ticked away, I watched as the scientists in the back rolled my freshly painted ralleys to the machines. Then they proceeded to truck the 33x12.50's to the back. I interrupted the gentleman that was looking for my tires, and pointed. Let's just say, he stopped them.

Anyway, I am getting the correct tires from Nevada on Thursday. Apparently there were some orphans in area 51 looking for a home. Maybe they will glow in the dark!

Got to go paint my one primered wheel ( the reason they had a sample tire to look at) so it can dry by Thursday.

Been there done that.....not at discount but their all the same. The noobs they put behind the "confusers" these days just make me sick. They just don't get it. It's almost like they just drift through life. I have hired a few of them like that. Those kind never make it in a machine shop. I like to think I had more walking around sense when I was 18 but who knows. Sorry to hear about your typical experience at a tire store.

I like your Mill! that is super cool wish I had one in my shop too. I have access to some super nice equipment but never have the free time to make many parts. The owners are cool with me making stuff on my own time but the machines are usually booked up.
That mistery part gonna be a gage cluster? keep the pics coming.
BTW, I love tool marks especially cool looking smooth ones they make the part look like it was machined
Old 07-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #110
litew8

Quote:

Funny!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #111
Dunenutt
Newbee

McBassin,

This is the first time I have played with my mill ( other than trimming down little parts). It's a 1940ish Gorton 8 1/2D. Originally a pantograph machine, and one of the most accurate of it's time. Some machinist's will put a Gorton up against a new Bridgeport any day.

My mill was actually given to me by a friend, that had to move it from where it was being stored. It was a little rough, but workable. I restored it, and upgraded all controls from mags and butttons to vfd's. The table is a little rough, so I haven't trammed it. This part I am making mic's out less than .001 over the 16'' span, so I am happy. I love cool old junk!

Some before and after pics...
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #112
litew8

That things a tank! Looks like something I woiuld have used in HS
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #113
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
McBassin,

This is the first time I have played with my mill ( other than trimming down little parts). It's a 1940ish Gorton 8 1/2D. Originally a pantograph machine, and one of the most accurate of it's time. Some machinist's will put a Gorton up against a new Bridgeport any day.

My mill was actually given to me by a friend, that had to move it from where it was being stored. It was a little rough, but workable. I restored it, and upgraded all controls from mags and butttons to vfd's. The table is a little rough, so I haven't trammed it. This part I am making mic's out less than .001 over the 16'' span, so I am happy. I love cool old junk!

Some before and after pics...
Thanks for sharing the before and after pics. I too love the old iron. I have ran an older Gorton back many years ago. It was very accurate too. You gave me more machine envy. Super job on the the restoration. I wouldn't have expected any less after seeing your truck project

Wish I had some friends like your friends.

Last edited by mcbassin; 07-29-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #114
cstm68

Quote:

iv always had great luck with les schwab!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #115
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Thanks for sharing the before and after pics. I too love the old iron. I have ran an older Gorton back many years ago. It was very accurate too. You gave me more machine envy. Super job on the the restoration. I wouldn't have expected any less after seeing your truck project

Wish I had some friends like your friends.
He is welcome to come use it at any time. Good friends are hard to find! I am lucky to have several life long friends.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:53 PM   #116
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by litew8 View Post
That things a tank! Looks like something I woiuld have used in HS
The crane guy estimated it at 2500-3000#. We drug it in the garage on 1/2" pipe rollers, with a 9000# winch. I have hit my knee on the front control wheel a couple of times... It does not move! LOL.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #117
Dunenutt
Newbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstm68 View Post
iv always had great luck with les schwab!
No Les Schwab here in AZ, that I know of.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #118
Dunenutt
Newbee

Well, I finally got my tires! They chipped up the paint a bit, rolling them around. Looks like they came from the super secret Area 71(judging from the stamp on the sidewall). LOL.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #119
mcbassin
Still Learning

Man, those tires look GREAT! Sucks that they chipped the paint. Let see some pics of those bad boys mounted
Old 07-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #120
Dunenutt
Newbee

I'll get it out tomorrow, so I can get some pics. I mounted them and put the bling on right after I shot that pic. The trim rings that I have are less than stellar, so I ordered some new ones today. My metal caps polished up really nice though!
Old 07-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #121
Sven

Quote:
One other note, I am not a fan of "lift kits". If a lift needs blocks of any kind, it is a poor design.
Amen brother! Nice truck ... great color, great back story ... I love build threads like this.

Got a '69 4x4 myself and I'll stick a lift and 12.5 x 33 BFG ATs on it. Probably convert to EFI and maybe propane later. Lots of opportunity it spend cash I don't have on it.

-Steve
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #122
Dunenutt
Newbee

113*F here yesterday, with the swamp cooler blowin 90* into the garage. It is taking every ounce of energy I have just to go out and look at the truck.

Got the vacuum conversion installed in the trans. I left a body shaped wet outline on the concrete, when I crawled out from under it. Did some tinkering with a few things. Installed the rear bumper, and receiver hitch. Worked on my cowl/fresh air intake. Installed my spare hold down, and fabbed up a less cheesy lock for it.

All in all, I am several pounds lighter, and a few steps closer to driving it.

PICS!
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #123
Dunenutt
Newbee

I finished the mystery project... What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #124
Dunenutt
Newbee

Got the truck out in the sunshine for a bit... Too bad it's filthy, but you get the idea.

A little better pic of the dash, shows the ball milling a little better.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 AM   #125
Average Joe

Looks great!
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote