The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #101
Redline novdog

Re: truck line assemblers

Personally being an assembler myself, the end result starting/running/moving, is the satisfaction/gratification of knowing you did a good job! It is a double edged sword, if the tractor fails in test, and it was something I caused.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:17 AM   #102
Redline novdog

Thanks for sharing the "Howie Makem" story! I can see some individuals being irritated by that.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #103
flykelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I have alsways been fascinated by that, too. Seems like you start off with little triangle shaped pieces of soup can, and you keep adding parts until you have a complete car body.

I felt that way even after having design/release responsibility for K2xx pickup cab/box and G van underbody structures.

The process is really set up to do the same thing, over and over, about a million times, with no changes. Building the first one is kinda tough but the following 999,999 are not as bad!

K
Keith not bad as long as nothing changes. I have seen robots lose their mind and do some crazy stuff, had one in trim that installed windshields, it thought it would be a good idea for the arm to not go to its home position but instead it went through the windshields. Made one heck of a mess.

Mike
flykelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #104
Redline novdog

Thank You KeithSeymore and FlyKelley for your input,but I can't imagine there are no other inputs!
Old 10-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #105
Hiluxxulih

Quote:
I have always been fascinated by that, too. Seems like you start off with little triangle shaped pieces of soup can, and you keep adding parts until you have a complete car body.

I felt that way even after having design/release responsibility for K2xx pickup cab/box and G van underbody structures.

The process is really set up to do the same thing, over and over, about a million times, with no changes. Building the first one is kinda tough but the following 999,999 are not as bad!

K
I think it's kind of cool because until I ordered my 2004 Silverado it was probably a big roll of steel in a warehouse , I am not sure how long they have the materials sitting around waiting to be turned into a truck , I will surely keep it until I am dead just because I factory ordered it , my only regret was not getting the 5.3 liter v8 and the auto but the v6 5 speed has a cool factor too .
Old 11-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #106
Keith Seymore

So - are we done here?

Quote:
You just reminded me of a story...

Maybe you guys didn't do this, but up at Flint we would "fit" hoods and fenders with a big hammer and a big stick.

If the fenders were "inboard" relative to the doors, rather than undoing the lower bolts and adding additional shims at the anchor locations the fitters would open the door and stick a big 2x4 in behind the fender and "ERRKKK" reef on that baby to bend the fenders out.

Similarly, if the hood-to-fender gap was tight at the front, they'd pop the hood and whack the nose of the fender (out) with a big rubber mallet. At that point, I know we'd been using the same technique since at least 1960, since I knew the guy that used to fit the 1960 pickup hoods....

But, you're right. We probably shouldn't mention it.

K

I thought of another one we shouldn't mention:

The wheel opening moldings are designated by RPO (regular production option) B96.

Sometimes, when installing the moldings, the screws would hit torque but not be fully seated. Rather than grabbing a screwdriver and torquing the screws home my line side repairmen would grab a big hammer and WHAM 'em once so they appeared seated.

This led to us calling the screws themselves "B96 nails"...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 11-03-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #107
Redline novdog

Thanks for the bump and more interesting information! I was hoping some others would chime in.
I am laid off until Jan.11th so I would imagine I'll be bored after I get some projects done.Never fails either you have time or money.Very seldom both at the same time!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #108
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Thanks for the bump and more interesting information! I was hoping some others would chime in.
I am laid off until Jan.11th so I would imagine I'll be bored after I get some projects done.Never fails either you have time or money.Very seldom both at the same time!
Agree. In my game (drag racing) it's the time, money, inclination, event and weather that all have to come together. The odds are never very good.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 02:53 AM   #109
mild68

Hi guys. I'm new to this board and been lost in reading pages for a couple of weeks.
I just made my way to this thread. Never the less very interesting to me.
I haven't built trucks, but I have been assembling cars for the last 26 1/2 years. Actually, Redline novdog, I'm almost your neighbor. I'm sure we know some of the same people.
I started in May of '89 for Diamond Star Motors. Joint venture between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Eventually it was just Mitsubishi.
Sad to say the plant closed and the last production day was just this past November 30th.
It was a long ride and reading some of the posts here are very similar to what I experienced.
mild68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #110
Redline novdog

Welcome to the board!! Very knowledgeable/helpful people here. Yes We are only about 25 min. away from Normal.I would imagine we do have mutual friends. Sorry to hear of the plant closing .That's a bummer.Perhaps our paths will cross someday. Nice looking truck by the way!