The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2016, 01:34 AM   #1451
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

September 29, 2016

No bill for labor this week because no work on the truck was done at the shop. The rear axles for the Ford rearend and rotors were sent out to be re-machined to the Chevy 5x4.75 pattern to match the Corvette patten up front. I can't recall the price for this but I THINK a few hundred.

I hadn't found the rear shackles because I put them away too neatly! They were disassembled and in a Ziplok bag in a spare tool chest I've been using for the smaller parts. Found them and delivered Tuesday but they worked on other client's cars this week.

I also delivered the factory column drop and floor filler plate. Plate will be used to patch the floor as I intend to use one of those polished "eyeball" style floor mounts for the column and a matching drop. Factory drop will be use to mock up the column.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #1452
Dan in Pasadena

September 30, 2016

Stopped by to drop off a payment and found the rearend mocked up, but not yet spot welded. Work looks great.

Third member wire wheeled and painted:

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 09-30-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:50 PM   #1453
lynx5653

truck is looking great
Old 10-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #1454
Kim57

Coming along real nicely.
Kim
Old 10-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #1455
MIKESAD50

Looking good, nice progress.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:34 AM   #1456
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks guys. I'm hoping this week results in a few things: Installing the inlet & outlet in the aluminum radiator to coincide with the engine. Finalizing the steering setup including the column drop size and fabricating the floor plate for one of those polished "eyeball" style column floor mounts.

I have to pick a gas tank pretty soon and I'm deciding between the generic but formed 16 gallon Mustang style one Tanks Inc sells or the folded up one that the Car & Truck Shop sells that is 21 gallons. I'd like the extra capacity but don't want it to be visible from behind below the bumper. Maybe if it's black it won't show much? Also have to decide on bed fill or side fill.

Pretty soon I have to decide on an intake too. The stock truck one works great with extra torque due to longer runners but is fugly. Black plastic looking. MAYBE I can find an aftermarket engine cover I can live with. I'll have some more discussions with Mike about that.

Old 10-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #1457
lynx5653

Dan , check out this link for engine cover https://www.google.com/search?newwin...w=1020&bih=486
Old 10-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #1458
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Lynx!

I have seen a couple of those engine covers before and all-in-all I'm not all the excited about any I've seen so far.

I stopped off at the shop today to speak to Mike since he wasn't there yesterday. He was working on my radiator, installing the two outlets and locating the mounts. We discussed what intake I'm going to use and I think I've narrowed it down to the Edelbrock Performer LS dual plane intake that kind looks like their Performer for a non-LS engine. I want it in Endurashne but so far haven't found if they offer that?

I also need to take my 15" Torq Thrust knock offs to use as rollers. Since they have 75 series tires they will mimic the height of the 17's I have to use due to the caliper size.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #1459
lynx5653

you are welcome. cant wait to see what you decide on
Old 10-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #1460
murd969

Your build is looking good.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #1461
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the kind words. It's hardly "my" build anymore. All I'm doing is calling the directions and dropping off cash!

I feel kinda sheepish with all the super talented fabricators on the forum. I THOUGHT I would do the same. But with mom going into hospice care and then passing in July I couldn't even mow my own lawn much less work on my truck. And I'd already broken it down. So it was spend the money or abandon the truck as a failed project.

Dropped off my 225/75x15 tires & Torq Thrusts for use as rollers. Also dropped off a new-in-box CPP frame mount non-power dual master cylinder kit I bought from Craigslist a couple years ago. Mike said the bracket will work. The MC is a "maybe" depending on bore size. It has a brand new CPP adjustable proportioning valve which means it was an MC for a disc/drum setup and that's not what I'm running. Mike ordered the Borgeson steering joints today. Hoping to finalize the steering by end of the week.

Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #1462
Kim57

Glad you didn't abandon it.
There's nothing wrong with having someone else doing the work for you.
Wish I could afford to have someone do my bodywork as I spend way too much time redoing things a pro could get done in a lot less time.
Kim
Old 10-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #1463
torchlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Thanks guys. I'm hoping this week results in a few things: Installing the inlet & outlet in the aluminum radiator to coincide with the engine. Finalizing the steering setup including the column drop size and fabricating the floor plate for one of those polished "eyeball" style column floor mounts.

I have to pick a gas tank pretty soon and I'm deciding between the generic but formed 16 gallon Mustang style one Tanks Inc sells or the folded up one that the Car & Truck Shop sells that is 21 gallons. I'd like the extra capacity but don't want it to be visible from behind below the bumper. Maybe if it's black it won't show much? Also have to decide on bed fill or side fill.

Pretty soon I have to decide on an intake too. The stock truck one works great with extra torque due to longer runners but is fugly. Black plastic looking. MAYBE I can find an aftermarket engine cover I can live with. I'll have some more discussions with Mike about that.
Dan, are you using a carb or a EFI throttle body on the intake?
Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 PM   #1464
Dan in Pasadena

Definitely not a carb.

I want the driveability, reliability and mileage fuel injection provides. Holley has an intake that mimics a conventional carb intake and that (I assume, would require me to use a throttle body) but I'd prefer individual injectors which is leading me toward Holley's mid rise sorta "snout" looking intake. I'm considering if I want to spend for having it polished? Somebody must have done that already but I've not seen a photo of one yet.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #1465
torchlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Definitely not a carb.

I want the driveability, reliability and mileage fuel injection provides. Holley has an intake that mimics a conventional carb intake and that (I assume, would require me to use a throttle body) but I'd prefer individual injectors which is leading me toward Holley's mid rise sorta "snout" looking intake. I'm considering if I want to spend for having it polished? Somebody must have done that already but I've not seen a photo of one yet.
Sounds good. I went with an EFI throttle body on a carb intake on an LS motor myself and I think it can be a good combo. I used the Edelbrock dual plane intake that you mentioned earlier and it has been running fine. However, wanted to make you aware that since then I have read in a couple places that the EFI throttle bodies actually perform better with a single plane intake.

For example: http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threa...e-plane.25871/

Now, this certainly isn't hard science and my dual plane intake has been running great! Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this opinion floating around out there before you make your choice.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:04 PM   #1466
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Dan, it's still your truck with your vision!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #1467
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlight View Post
Sounds good. I went with an EFI throttle body on a carb intake on an LS motor myself and I think it can be a good combo. I used the Edelbrock dual plane intake that you mentioned earlier and it has been running fine. However, wanted to make you aware that since then I have read in a couple places that the EFI throttle bodies actually perform better with a single plane intake.

For example: http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/threa...e-plane.25871/

Now, this certainly isn't hard science and my dual plane intake has been running great! Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this opinion floating around out there before you make your choice.
Excellent information, thanks. Whew, it's a lot of reading. I've started but wasn't aware there was this opinon out there. I too have always heard dual plane was more appropriate for a street driven mild (in my case - stock) engines.

JJ, Thanks. I really do feel a bit sheepish about not doing the work myself but on the other hand I'm directing every bit of the work. It will be my vision, just not my labor - directly - that goes into it. A ma also surprised I EVER got to the place where I can afford to do this. Earlier in my life it would have been laughable for me to think of having someone else do this much work.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:05 AM   #1468
Nut Case

Dan

You have paid your dues man, to be in a place where you can pay someone else to complete your dream.

Do it and do it your way. Stop and smell the roses man, your roses!!

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

:clap
Old 10-05-2016, 04:16 PM   #1469
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Case View Post
Dan

You have paid your dues man, to be in a place where you can pay someone else to complete your dream.

Do it and do it your way. Stop and smell the roses man, your roses!!

Keep on keepin on

Nut Case

:clap
VERY nice of you to say this. But then again, you're a self admitted "nutcase" I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Old 10-05-2016, 04:31 PM   #1470
Dan in Pasadena

Dually Post Mortem

Back in post #1405 I showed that my beloved '08 Chevy Crew Dually 3500 4x4 died a tragic death by fire due to frickin rats nesting somewhere on the engine near turbo piping, I assume.

Monday, I went to the insurance auction yard to take a few things off the insurance isn't paying for. 4 brand new BFG All Terrains I put on in July survived and the stainless running boards. I didn't take the right tools to get the rear air bags or big enough tools to get the Magnum dual receiver tow bar. Oh well. Those tires are $200/ea. so I'll list them on Craigslist. They have maybe 600 miles on them tops! See if I get any bites. One of the plastic steps on the running boards melted so I'll order a replacement and polish them up. I took a front & rear "chrome" simulator to hang on the garage wall in homage to my beautiful, now gone beast. Pictures:

I'd kept two of the old tires when I put on the new ones & hadn't yet sold them. I had to leave rollers for the insurance company so I had a local shop R&R the tires and throw the old ones on. It felt like hitting a man when he's down. I'm a weirdo but it ACTUALLY bothered me to drive off and leave her. She was a great truck.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-05-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #1471
oldman3

So sad, hope you find another one soon...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:42 PM   #1472
Dan in Pasadena

On a happier note, this is her likely replacement:

I haven't seen it in person yet. It's 250 miles away near my stepson's house but he inspected it for me and said it's in like new condition. It's a 2014 with the same mileage; less 1200, as my dually had. But of course 6 years newer. It's a 2500 short bed, diesel Denali. I like the interior better than the black leather I had - too DAMN hot in summer. She's a little beauty queen compared to the work horse dually, but I don't need a dually anymore. Anyway, the insurance settlement is paying all but a small amount so I think I'll be pleased. Gonna try to get her this weekend. Thanks for listening to my stories, guys.

I've said before I think of you guys as "friends I haven't met yet." If we lived around the block from each other maybe we'd probably stop off to talk about each other's old trucks. At least I think we would.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 10-05-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #1473
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

That's a great looking GMC, I call "shotgun"!!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:47 PM   #1474
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDriver View Post
That's a great looking GMC, I call "shotgun"!!

Ha ha, you got it, JJ!

I want "shotgun" on your reborn Jimmy Cameo (or do were they called Suburbans?) if I ever see it. When you get it done maybe a looooong trip out to SoCal to the Brother's Show one summer?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #1475
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

The Brothers show is on my bucket list for sure and the seat is yours!