The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #126
Carl Spangler

Re: Stock Steering Wheel Whos Keeping Them And Why ?

I almost hated the big original steering wheel in my 1971 SWB when I first got the truck.

However, that big old steering wheel has grown on me and now I like it. Looks to be original and it has no cracks. How do I confirm if it's original??? Everything else on this truck is OEM.

cheers
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #127
NewType72

Blazerman's brown interior shot on page give has an aftermarket wheel as you an reel with the style of "grain" effect on the upper portion of the wheel. Originals had "grain" as well but were more like roots than the sponge pattern on the new ones. The huge difference is an original won't bend at the top if you push on it whereas the new ones flex because they are cheaply made.

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #128
texjake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewType72 View Post
I'll go ahead and add in mine as well. Steering wheel is original and has been restored since mid spring of this year. I daily drive this 72 and love this steering wheel more everyday, even with power steering it's still fun to have. Eliminated the etched look as well because I couldn't save that but I think it looks more modern now so it fits.

Great looking interior. What did you paint your glove box door with? It looks like a flat black & not gloss black, or is it the way the sun is hitting it or the camera angle. It looks great that way.
texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #129
NewType72

Quote:
Originally Posted by texjake View Post
Great looking interior. What did you paint your glove box door with? It looks like a flat black & not gloss black, or is it the way the sun is hitting it or the camera angle. It looks great that way.
The GB door is a flat almost eggshell black. It was painted with the exterior of my truck a couple years back and at one point was my "yearbook" signature board but I lost half those friends so it was repainted

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
Old 12-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #130
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Blazerman's brown interior shot on page give has an aftermarket wheel as you an reel with the style of "grain" effect on the upper portion of the wheel. Originals had "grain" as well but were more like roots than the sponge pattern on the new ones. The huge difference is an original won't bend at the top if you push on it whereas the new ones flex because they are cheaply made.
I took the steering wheel off this afternoon and I'm afraid it looks to be an import. I should have figured that since there are no cracks on it and the truck is 42 YO. Oh well, one more slight insult to this fine old American truck.................

cheers
JohnG
Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #131
erikoj

I am Looking For a stock 72 wheel!! I don't like the litle sport wheel my truck came with, It's funny how tastes vary. Anyone selling a 72 steering wheel????
erikoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 PM   #132
NewType72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
I took the steering wheel off this afternoon and I'm afraid it looks to be an import. I should have figured that since there are no cracks on it and the truck is 42 YO. Oh well, one more slight insult to this fine old American truck.................

cheers
JohnG
Bummer to hear but only a minor setback with that. Go ahead and search through the for sale posts here and also on eBay and there should be one to fit your likings. I restored mine fully fairly easy and within a 100$

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
Old 12-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #133
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Bummer to hear but only a minor setback with that. Go ahead and search through the for sale posts here and also on eBay and there should be one to fit your likings. I restored mine fully fairly easy and within a 100$
That sounds like a good plan.

FWIW, it pained me to order three point belts but the originals were really fried and I wanted three point belts. I'm even sticking with the old pitted windshield (for now) as I'm determined to keep the truck as original as possible ........... safety permitting. This is a tough decision process as all trucks/cars are essentially used up as the miles accumulate.

cheers
JohnG
Old 12-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #134
NewType72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
That sounds like a good plan.

FWIW, it pained me to order three point belts but the originals were really fried and I wanted three point belts. I'm even sticking with the old pitted windshield (for now) as I'm determined to keep the truck as original as possible ........... safety permitting. This is a tough decision process as all trucks/cars are essentially used up as the miles accumulate.

cheers
JohnG
I definitely agree with you there. I have the option for the 3-point harness but I've opted to keep the lap belt myself but have upgraded other areas to make the ride nicer. Here's a rebuild of my wheel for you or anyone else to check out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572684

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
Old 12-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #135
dads longhorn

Wink Re: Stock Steering Wheel Whos Keeping Them And Why ?

Of course I'm keeping it. How else would I steer the truck, duh.
dads longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #136
texjake

I had thought about cutting my steering wheel down to a smaller size but I just cant bring myself to do that. I'm sure its the original wheel & it has great wear & patina on it. If I decide to cut one down to a smaller size I'll get one from a salvage yard or one off eBay that needs restoration & try not feel guilty about cutting down an OE steering wheel. But for now I still got plans to put a Grant Challenger Series Part # 414 on there soon & just keep my original wheel as is.
Attached Images

texjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #137
In The Ten Ring

My original wheel has the normal cracks, but if I could find NOS or a good-fitting repro, I'd get that.

I'd love to have a tilt set up, but I don't think those exist for 3 on the tree....and I'm keeping the 3ott.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote