The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2009, 01:03 AM   #126
jeffs51chevy

Re: Yet Another s10 swap

Dan, Thanks for the info. My plan is to cut and move the battery lid over to actually mount the battery on the s10 frame rail. I just can't bring myself to muddy up the firewall.

For those who don't know the Damimal, do a search over on the HAMB. He was one of the first to put up useful info detailing the swap. He helped out a lot of guys all while helping out his son. That's good beans in my book. Good to have you as a resource.

I should be back at the truck soon.

Jeff
jeffs51chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:35 AM   #127
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Thanks, Jeff. I'm just learning like the rest of us.

I thought about the battery like that as well but we are running a 5 speed and the hydraulic clutch puts the exhaust a bit closer to the frame rail. I like it in the cab because we just put it in one of those holder boxes from TSC, made a plate and bolted that to the cab floor. Keeps it safer that way.

Ran the cables through the floor, into the frame, and popped them up right by the starter through a slot in the frame that was already there.
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #128
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickp51chevy View Post
Hey Jeff, check out what I found on another site.
http://www.killbillet.com/showthread.php?t=20487

Seems like you'r helping more that you ever thought.

Good thing you guys put your names on the drawing!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #129
47owner

Has any tried 1977 chevy 1/2 ton swap. I have a 47 long bed. I want to keep the entire frame and drive train in place.
47owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #130
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

The 77 suspension is about 2" too wide. There is a guy in Detroit area with one and it looks OK but I wouldn't recommend it.

The end result kind of looks like a car with a Nova clip that should have had a Camaro or vice versa. Tires are way out to the sides and actually the fenders will touch the tires. You've got to have some offset wheels to compensate.

Here's a picture of a 49 1 ton panel I picked up for my 14 year old this summer. It has had the cradle and suspension from a 79 put under it (heavy half with bbc springs). You can see where the tires are. Kind of a 4x4 stance.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #131
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

You can see the track difference with the stock axle and tires in the rear.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #132
47owner

I will stick with the s 10 frame. Thanks Dan.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #133
47owner

What year S 10 did you use? The engine that came with the s10, did it not fit or did you just decide swap it out?

I haven't started on my 47 just doing the homework. I appreciate all the information. thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 08:01 AM   #134
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

I'm not even sure of the year of ours, bought it as a roller frame, X cab, and shortened it to 117 wheelbase. We put plates in to move the engine back (327) so we've got clearance for an HEI.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't an early early but it was a late one either. Mongo's Garage had some info, IIRC. Not sure what Jeff used. They are fairly identical but I see the one new post going on now there is a comment about the later ones being boxed further back.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #135
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Cab clearance:

Old 11-25-2009, 02:34 AM   #136
47owner

I have a 3/4 ton truck the wheelbase is 126". What did you use to attach and support the frame where you shortened the wheelbase?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #137
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

The S10 frame is boxed at the front and then channel at the back. Right under the doors is a weld joint for the two. I ground out the weld in about 10 minutes, cut about 5" off of the channel tops and bottoms, left a big "tab" for a lap joint, and slid the two back together. Courtland welded it and then welded all the way around the lap joint. Figured on a few safety bolts "just in case" but never did them. May still, someday.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #138
47owner

If the wheel base is less than 126" then I will shorten the bed so I can center the rear wheel. I have yet to measure an S10. Did you or will you have to do anything to the suspension?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #139
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Sorry for not replying...been in my own little world for a while.

Suspension: The only thing we did with my son's truck is lowering blocks in the rear. We are at 8" to the bottom of his fenders. Jeff is at 6" IIRC from several pages back. I did just land a set of dropped spindles that we may or may not install. I personally think it sits just about right for us country bumpkins but if I lived in the city with better pavement, I'd drop it another 2. I am looking at a set of reversed eye rear springs for cheap.

I am starting a short box S10 swap now!
Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #140
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

S10 X cab is like 122" so you might shorten it a bit. I'd just cut it at the back of the front stake pocket. That's what I'm doing with the short box. It is 109" rather than 116" but I'm leaving the rear alone because the fender is more "centered" in the bed side.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #141
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

And I may look at a Scott Danforth cross member for the 1 ton panel above. I just don't like the full size under it.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #142
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Jeff, can you fill us in on the radiator? How's it doing? Do you have any "final install" pictures showing where your fan lined up with the rad and shroud? I tilted Court's forward but don't want to do it again! I hated it.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #143
47owner

I haven't started mine, ran into a little money trouble, tough these days. I have been looking around for an S10.
Did the steering column work out fine or did you have to mes with it?
Old 02-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #144
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
And I may look at a Scott Danforth cross member for the 1 ton panel above. I just don't like the full size under it.
Scott's crossmember looks like a good piece. I've seen one piled on the floor ready to go in a friend's truck. But I would have misgivings about putting it under a 1-ton truck...

The crossmember is based on g-body parts including 10.5 inch disk. The g-body stuff seems up to the task for a 1/2-ton truck since they weigh about the same and are rated to carry about the same, but your 1-ton weighs about 1000 pounds more and can carry quite a bit more cargo.

I understand your reservations about the pickup suspension currently under the truck, but personally I'd be more comfortable updating the brakes on the stock straight axle suspension and going back that direction before going with something as light as a g-body suspension.

Usually I'm one that stands up and encourages people to go with Scott's approach, but this is one case where I can't do that. You might contact Scott and see what he says about running it on a 1-ton if you haven't already.
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #145
jeffs51chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bowles View Post
Jeff, can you fill us in on the radiator? How's it doing? Do you have any "final install" pictures showing where your fan lined up with the rad and shroud? I tilted Court's forward but don't want to do it again! I hated it.
Dan,
I thought about tilting it forward, but, for me, I ran into to many re-alignment issues. I can get you photos, but everything is pretty much the same. Let me know if you want a close up of anything, or if you just need measurements. I've added a cross bar to the front of the core support to bolt on my trany cooler; other than that, really nothing new. someday I will get back to the truck.
Later,
Jeff
Old 02-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #146
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Steve, good point but if you saw the kludge that was Eli's frame, you'd understand why I'm looking at different options. I am in conversation with Scott now. I didn't think about the 1 ton aspect but this is to be more for a hot rod than a work truck. It is 4410 pounds factory, though!

Jeff, I'd love just a couple of pictures of where it sits with the fan mark, etc. I didn't see anything of the "finished" product. We haven't driven Court's truck long enough to overheat but I don't like the efficiency of having the fins tilted. I plan to make a shroud this spring for his but the second S10 swap I'm doing I'm thinking of going your route. It still cost me $60 to have Court's stock radiator cleaned and the top opening resized and none of the other 4 or 5 radiators I have are as good as the first one so I'm thinking it'll be closer to $100 and I may as well go $160 for a new aluminum one.

47owner, I used the stock column cut off and D'ed. We didn't machine it the same as Jeff, we just turned a block of aluminum down to fit inside the column and then drilled a couple of places for a spot rivet. I did put a collet and spring inside to keep it "up" all the time. Court is running a '54 Bel Air wheel. I'm buying a '57 Two Ten wheel off of the HAMB right now for my truck (yes, I have my own truck that SOME DAY I will work on...)
Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 PM   #147
PaDan

Jeff, have you done any thing on your project? I know the weather has been cooled. But just wanted to see if you had some up dates. I have found a 93 S10 to start my build with. But I still have to wait for the snow to melt so that I can drag the old AD home. Where is the sun

Last edited by PaDan; 02-20-2010 at 06:39 PM.
PaDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #148
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Sun has been here the last 2-3 days. Hit 41 this week. Now everything is too muddy to move anything without making a big mess. We chose to make a big mess...
Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #149
jeffs51chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaDan View Post
Jeff, have you done any thing on your project? I know the weather has been cooled. But just wanted to see if you had some up dates. I have found a 93 S10 to start my build with. But I still have to wait for the snow to melt so that I can drag the old AD home. Where is the sun
I've been hitting it hard at like 20 minutes a week - rain or cold weather. Ok, all joking aside, we've been busy raising kids and the truck is on the back burner. I have got her to a point that I just need to finish the wiring and clean everything up. I hope to have her running by spring. Let me know if you need help when you start your truck. Twin isn't that far away.

Jeff
Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 PM   #150
daverod
SSN 706

Sweet build. I want to do one of those trucks someday. Looking forward to seeing you finish it.
daverod is offline   Reply With Quote