The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
z71se

Re: First hand experience with changing to the NBS master cylinder WOW!

Hey guys I just got done with the GMT800 MC swap and I also took the opportunity to install 02 knuckles and rotors/ calipers (to fit under my stock 16" Alcoa wheels). New drums, shoes, and stock replacement wheel cylinders out back. The dead spot does seem reduced, but I'm not 100% sure the braking significantly improved. As others have stated, the GMT800 MC has a smaller bore size so you have to push harder on the pedal even though the pedal is firmer. Anyways, I'm still not satisfied with the brakes even after all this work (reaming the GMT800 knuckles was kinda a pita). Am I correct that converting to hydroboost is my last option? I wish there was a GMT800 master cylinder that had a slightly larger bore size. My truck is a 2000 Z71 Tahoe (old body style).
z71se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
Chris95GT

I've done this swap on my GMT400 99 3/4 ton, it was simple and I noticed an improved pedal feel and quite a bit better panic stop feeling. Houston traffic sucks. Before, during a panic stop I felt like the pedal was darn near bottomed out and I wasn't going to stop in time, the few panic stops I've done since the swap felt much much safer. I'm very happy with the GMT800 Master so far, my only regret is not doing it sooner. (I had it sitting around for 2+ years before finally doing it)

Next step for me is GMT800 Front and rear disk swap with stock GMT800 calipers, disks, and pads, but I still need to get and modify GMT800 knuckles to fit my truck, and get new tires for my 6 lug wheels (I'll be going from 8 lug to 6 lug)
2008 K2500HD Duramax Sierra Crew Cab Short Bed - Daily
Chris95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #3
z71se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris95GT View Post
I've done this swap on my GMT400 99 3/4 ton, it was simple and I noticed an improved pedal feel and quite a bit better panic stop feeling. Houston traffic sucks. Before, during a panic stop I felt like the pedal was darn near bottomed out and I wasn't going to stop in time, the few panic stops I've done since the swap felt much much safer. I'm very happy with the GMT800 Master so far, my only regret is not doing it sooner. (I had it sitting around for 2+ years before finally doing it)

Next step for me is GMT800 Front and rear disk swap with stock GMT800 calipers, disks, and pads, but I still need to get and modify GMT800 knuckles to fit my truck, and get new tires for my 6 lug wheels (I'll be going from 8 lug to 6 lug)
You'll want to convert to hydroboost at that point... I would not have converted to the GMT800 fronts had I known they would feel this way (I installed the GMT800 mc at the same time). Yes, the dead spot is gone but the pedal effort required to stop the truck is 25% greater (due to the larger bore size of the GMT800 master) so braking confidence is not significantly improved, if at all. I will be converting to GMT400 hydroboost shortly.
z71se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
z71se

Also - reaming out the GMT800 knuckles is a huge PITA! If you would like to use my tool (I only used once), let me know and you can borrow it! I also have some tips on how to make the reaming easiest... you'll want to use an air ratchet with the knuckle mounted in a vice. Get an old or new GMT400 upper and lower balljoint handy to test fit as you go along. Both the upper and lower balljoint holes will need reaming. The reaming tool in a socket in conjunction with the air ratchet was definitely the best method I found...
Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #5
Brandon_Lutz

Sorry to drag this thread back up, so please forgive me. I've searched many threads on many forums about this swap and I'm still getting kind of confused on which MC I should be looking at.

I have a 95 K2500 with the 5.7. I'd like to do this swap on my truck but I'm not sure with NBS Master Cylinder should I be looking at to to replace it. I'm not looking to go to hydro-boost and I plan on keeping the setup as it currently is, vacuum assisted.

I've found conflicting issues in various places on whether I should get a 1500 4x4 Master Cylinder from an NBS as the 3/4 ton trucks and up were hydro boost on some models. Or I should look into a 2500 master cylinder. Can anyone tell me definitively which one I should look into getting?
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Chris95GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon_Lutz View Post
Sorry to drag this thread back up, so please forgive me. I've searched many threads on many forums about this swap and I'm still getting kind of confused on which MC I should be looking at.

I have a 95 K2500 with the 5.7. I'd like to do this swap on my truck but I'm not sure with NBS Master Cylinder should I be looking at to to replace it. I'm not looking to go to hydro-boost and I plan on keeping the setup as it currently is, vacuum assisted.

I've found conflicting issues in various places on whether I should get a 1500 4x4 Master Cylinder from an NBS as the 3/4 ton trucks and up were hydro boost on some models. Or I should look into a 2500 master cylinder. Can anyone tell me definitively which one I should look into getting?
My truck is a true 3/4 ton 8600GVW 99 GMT400 truck. I went with the MC from a 2003 K1500 Avalanche (Just because it's what I had from another project). It's worked great for me so far. I don't know if there was a difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton vacuum master cylinders in the GMT800 platform, but I'm using a half ton unit on my 3/4 ton and love it.
2008 K2500HD Duramax Sierra Crew Cab Short Bed - Daily

Last edited by Chris95GT; 02-03-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Chris95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
z71se

Quote:

You want the NBS 1500 master cylinder from a 1999-2002 Silverado. Dorman part # M630031.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
speedygonzales

I showed you what they looked like and listed the part numbers

Quote:

See this
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Just wanted to clarify for those not sure what we are referring to.

If you have one of these:
crappy master cylinder
replace it with one listed above that looks like this
good replacement
Quote:
NBS Master Cylinder numbers:
GM 19209249
Durastop 18M1159 made by AC Delco
AC Delco 174-1003
NAPA NMC M3432
Cardone 13-2881
Dorman M630031
Fenco NM3089
Go back to the first page for instructions because the lines are different sizes
Old 02-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #9
Brandon_Lutz

Thank you all who responded. You guys rock
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
jcramsey

Gotta put this on the to-do list!

The Government Mule
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 PM   #11
54 jimmy

I used a 2500 nbc on my 97 1500. no issues. I think the 2500 mc is the better option. I have better pedal feel in normal driving and panic stops. as far as the pressure feel of the pedal it is not hard to get it to stop. my wife loves how the brakes feel because they use to scare her before but now she feels much safer driving the truck. not good for me because now she wants to drive the truck. gotta take the good with the bad .
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
Geomarq123

Found this thread as I was swapping the rear discs on my 97 k1500. Then did the master cylinder, and figured I'd change to the right combination valve. Now I'm stuck, can someone help?

How can I plumb the new combination valve into the abs unit? The diagram shows what I have..the combination valve bolts and directly takes fluid in and the abs unit has three valves out...two valves for the front, one rear. The correct disc/disc combination valve has two ports in three out. The old is two in, two out. I've never liked the abs on this truck..should I discard? What's the proper way to disable the Abs?

Geomarq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #13
speedygonzales

This issue should have it's own thread. People are going to come here looking for changing the master cylinder information.

Repost it as a new post.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #14
satisfied

I have a 96 C1500 Burb. Will the switch out using the MC 2002 Siverado with rear disc brakes be compatible with my truck with rear drum brakes?
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #15
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfied View Post
I have a 96 C1500 Burb. Will the switch out using the MC 2002 Siverado with rear disc brakes be compatible with my truck with rear drum brakes?
I would say no.

If you have disc/drum brakes then you need a disc/drum master cylinder. I wouldn't think a disc/disc master would have the right design considerations for your setup.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
satisfied

Speedygonzales,

Is your NBS MS already shot? A 1999 would have drum brakes as well.
satisfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:30 AM   #17
speedygonzales

If it looks like this:

Then yes

Incidentally mine is shot already
Old 06-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #18
speedygonzales

fluid leaking past the seals. It's been suggested the lines have to be reversed, will try that this weekend with a replacement unit.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #19
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

Quote:
fluid leaking past the seals. It's been suggested the lines have to be reversed, will try that this weekend with a replacement unit.
I'll be watching for your update. I don't have a newer truck in the shop otherwise I'd follow the lines and see which is which
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
speedygonzales

I looked for any published indication that the ports were reversed on the GMT800 MC. Could not find any.

The reservoirs both old and new seem to have bigger portions on the front. Even if they don't it makes no difference. I did not reverse the lines.

Still crappy brakes compared to everything else on the road but better then it was when it had the original MC.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #21
Eman85

I've read thru this thread as a fix for my Chevy truck. I was a GM tech from the 70's up until these trucks were new. They always had the soft pedal from day.
The original MC had a step bore so it did make a difference how the lines were attached, plus since you had frt. disc only the reservoir for the frt. is larger. the reason for this is that disc brakes are self adjusting in the the piston moves out as the pad wears and the space is taken up by fluid. On a straight bore MC the only difference in ports would be if you had a MC from a frt. disc vehicle. The NBS MC is for a disc/disc vehicle so it doesn't matter how you connect the lines.
Eman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #22
SquareOne

Another Co-Sign to this upgrade

I did the NBS upgrade this afternoon after the drum brake wheel cylinders failed and I had to replace those and bleed the system anyway.

WOW! Night and Day. If you're on the fence, you're wasting your time. This is one of the easiest and quickest upgrades you can do.

I got lucky and I got the MC from a friend who was doing a hydroboost conversion on his 2001 NBS, so it didn't cost me a thing. I know that there is a piece of mind that comes with buying one new but I never hear about stock MCs failing that often so I decided to err on the side of saving money and we with the used unit.

The pedal feel and response is significantly better than the original equipment. I feel it now brakes just as good if not better than the wife's 2015 sedan.
Attached Images

SquareOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #23
SquareOne

Another Co-Sign to this upgrade

I did the NBS upgrade this afternoon after the drum brake wheel cylinders failed and I had to replace those and bleed the system anyway.

WOW! Night and Day. If you're on the fence, you're wasting your time. This is one of the easiest and quickest upgrades you can do.

I got lucky and I got the MC from a friend who was doing a hydroboost conversion on his 2001 NBS, so it didn't cost me a thing. I know that there is a piece of mind that comes with buying one new but I never hear about stock MCs failing that often so I decided to err on the side of saving money and we with the used unit.

The pedal feel and response is significantly better than the original equipment. I feel it now brakes just as good if not better than the wife's 2015 sedan.
SquareOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #24
mountie

Square One is a perfect example why us truck owners are here....

To make our cool trucks better!

I did the MC upgrade 2 years ago, because I learned it here.
'93 Mercedes SL 500 Teal
'86 Yamaha FZ750 - 15,000 RPM
'86 Yamaha FJ1200 - Criminally Fast
2016 Ferrari 488 GTB, I drive it - don't own it.
'05 GMC Yukon XL , SLT 4wd ( just purchased 2018)
mountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:03 PM   #25
speedygonzales

Stop wasting your time changing pieces to get better brakes!!!

All of this is a waste of time.

Trust me I started this thread. In addition to changing the master cylinder I also changed my front calipers to 2 piston and rotors to slotted type.

None of this works as well as the way the brakes should be from the factory. But I'll tell you what does! I just came in from doing it.

It's called the "automated bleed procedure".

I was poking around a few threads mentioning that nothing works until people did this. Some even said most GM's are this way. Without it you're wasting your time.

But what the hell does bleeding the ABS have to do with the normal brake operation. I"m sure I'm not the only one that said that and did normal brake bleeding procedure. I don't know and was skeptical until I did it.

See my new post for a little more information.