The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM   #126
Old School Low

Re: New old guy.

Cleaned up the runners a little, got a dab of grease in a few spots that had contact. works real smooth. Happy w the tan , cloth seat. now to tckle this glue on dash. Going to start sanding and see what happens. Only has a couple of cracks I can live with. Lets see how it goes.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old School Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #127
Sodell

That seat cleaned up nice, great score!

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #128
Low Elco

Seat looks good! Note of caution on the dash-It looks like it had one of those covers on it. Be careful- that's probably silicone, and it's hell on paint. Make super sure its clean clean clean before you start.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #129
Old School Low

10-4 Lowelco. Orbital and 1/4 sheet sanders got90% of it off. Worked pretty good. Today ill look for some kind of Dremel Attachment to get in tight spots near windshield. No more 'textured' look. about half is smooth as can be.lol Have no idea what itll look like painted but I bet good enough. Ill look for some kind of speaker grille or make something. Buddy bought $900 87 lwb lastnight, i havent seen it but he says it needs seat. Perfect, hope he likes blue
Old 02-14-2014, 11:36 AM   #130
Old School Low

Orbital and 1/4 sheet sanders got most of it. Gonna look for Dremel attch today to get closer to windshield. Itll look alright sprayed dk brown. Then an oversize speaker grille.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2014, 11:38 AM   #131
Old School Low

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #132
Low Elco

No, no CHEMICALLY clean. Great you got it all off. Now before you start any work, wipe it down with lacquer thinner on a clean paper towel. Seeveral times, new towel every time. It'll fisheye like homemade hell if you don't get it clean. Rustoleum sells a flat camo paint at HD that works the bomb on interior fabbed stuff. Lots of tans. Good luck!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #133
Old School Low

Son Chris stopped by yesterday to help old dad install these Western Chassis extended lowering shackles. About $55 from I forget what catalog. (note: I ended up with a full 3in drop from these 1 to 2in shackles using 2in hole) Made the Heavy Half almost level but Ill probably end up c-notching and drop spindles to get it where I want it. I can still remove some of the 8 leafs and cut front coil before notching and drop spindles to see where it gets me. (wonder if ill end up using stock shackle when notched?) Yeah, I should have got a bigger hammer to 'tap' this one in and now I see drivers side leaf is just barely touching bed frame, hmmm..better check that out. Very easy install if your considering doing it. Wish I would have had a new leaf bushing handy though. Shackles came w their own bushings. I know, left rear light assmbly needs attention. Motor install in 10 days?? Geeze I hope so. Friend w shop whos going to help me is swamped.[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #134
Old School Low

See the 'rocker' under drivers door. Its caved in w a lot of bondo already. Is this where ill need to cut it out and weld in new one? Never done anything like this,just see it in magazines[IMG][/IMG] but I'm getting some confidence. Have old red 225AC Lincoln stick welder I do okay with. Anyone want to give me more confidence? What exact rod would I use? This photo is before rear shackle drop.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #135
Old School Low

Hope someone chimes in on this one. Heavy Half leaf Im flipping. This is how they look relaxed. Can I get rid of the big helper leaf on bottom. Im not going to be carrying any weight, but should it stay there? Maybe even another one too? If I take too many I'll run out of threads on u bolts. And I think the extended shackles I put on couple of days ago are going to have to be swapped back to orig ones to make it all work, we'll see. And..is it not too hard to replace the bushings without a press[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-20-2014, 10:15 PM   #136
Jake Wade

That's a 7+1 set up. I would reduce that down to a 3+1 if your not hauling heavy loads. I bet it rides rough as a cob unloaded.

You will probably need a shorter tie bolt. You can stack washers to reuse the old U bolts but, if you want to do it right, get new U bolts.
Jake Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #137
Old School Low

Thanks Lonnie. so yo're saying 3 plus the big one, or 4 plus, but always keep the big one no matter what?
Old 02-20-2014, 11:17 PM   #138
Sodell

Yea, you need to keep the bigger spring, and you can go down to three leafs.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #139
Sodell

I welded cab corners in, took about 12 hours...this guy has some good videos, and there are others. Helps to see someone doing the job before you try to tackle it.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #140
Old School Low

This is what my pumpkin/axle housing did when trying move truck after axle flip and before I welded them. Might not have happened if I would have rattled u bolt nuts (i did use cheater on ratchet but didnt feel like jacking up again to make room for impact) So tore it all apart again, rotated the pumpkin, u bolts are rattled and I idled about 75yds to welder w no problem. But..might have to notch when I hoped not. Rubber stops are hitting axle with at least a few lbs. So 4in grinder and some time getting those 8 rivots off. Anyone know torque for leaf u bolts? And what about drive shaft angle? Now for the front.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #141
Old School Low

Here it is[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #142
Jake Wade

Oh man, you gotta fix that.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #143
Old School Low

Fixed, impacted big time and tack welded till good welder gets here tomorrow. That axle housing is thinner than u think. I cruised up the street and back. Ill get it fixed right. But oh man Lonnie...and now to take onthe front. ill cut coils to start w but cant order drop spindles for awhile. Neighbors 85 didnt get too out of line w only cut coils. He srives it everywhere...but I know I want the spindles.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 PM   #144
Old School Low

The rubber, frame to axle bumper stops are juuuuust touching so I have no travel. They need to come off, get shorter shocks and probably have to c-notch whether I want to or not. Stock shocks are off. My attempt at welding them but dont trust myself on something like this. When and if I get under there again to do major stuff, the bed is coming off.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-23-2014, 10:17 PM   #145
Old School Low

great video, thanks Sodell
Old 02-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #146
Old School Low

I jusst sat here and watched his whole series,just what I needed to make me think its possible for me. I just missed out on a shop a few weeks ago but will find one soon I hope and then I'll be making how to videos lol
Old 02-26-2014, 07:30 PM   #147
Old School Low

All lowered. Wow, my boy (in photo) and I, having NO experience, did axle flip and cut 2 front coils, in the front yard in 25deg weather. Every tool I owned, then bought some more, every jack I could borrow and boards and plywood for dunnage on the grass....we got er done. I LIKE IT. Drove pickle fork through one ball joint, (both will be replaced) left front tire rubs in center on inner fender if I bump going up curb (I can drive so it doesnt happen) and till I get drop spindles its cambered in pretty bad. Now that Im familiar w it all, in next weeks or months I'll visit all four corners again and fine tune. Hoping exhaust coming off headers when I put in 383 wont be quite so low. 31/10.5/15LT tires it came with are 80% so I'll make them work as long as I can. All wheels are 8in wide.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #148
TheBlueBomber

Sweet!!

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #149
Jake Wade

Looks like you got her in the weeds Kenny.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:45 PM   #150
Old School Low

Getting there aren't I? REALLY need to address camber issue though. I guess spindles is only option? And my motor, my God, no is in as much of a hurry as I am.[IMG][/IMG]