The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2012, 12:30 AM   #126
67c10rustbuket

Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

More pics of the floor and kick panel....
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #127
67c10rustbuket

I scrapped the organ donor Tahoe and got $344 for 3440 lbs

I saved a few more parts to sell but CL sales are a little slow, but even so the old 'hoe paid for itself and then some so the drivetrain in my '67 is free and then some..

My daily driver (the light blue Z71 in the first pic) was not very happy pulling the load that weighed in gross at over 10,000 lbs with trailer and the 'hoe. She will be for sale soon. I love her but she's got to go. Pretty nice for a 20 yr old truck but I need something more reliable with less maintenance and most importantly... more convenient to get a 2 yr old into
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #128
DD1

Looking good Dan. It looks like you put a few spot welds on the seam instead of welding the whole thing, right? Got your package today. Thanks again for sending it. Gonna try and get some work done tomorrow. Was busy trying to modify my air compressor today; broke it instead.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:50 AM   #129
DD1

What is that lever tied up above the pedal?
Old 05-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #130
67c10rustbuket

I decided to rebuild my original rear pillar behind the rocker because I was disgusted with the lack of quality of the LMC piece that I bought, it wasn't even close. Well I know no one will ever see it again but I went a little psycho on it at work... I sand blasted it, cut out all the rot, probably 60% or more of the original steel, replaced it with some new steel, sandblasted it again, had to form the lower edge on a "hand" brake and welded it all back together, sand blasted again after grinding and smoothing!!. Finally I had it powdercoated and it looks better than new. I should have this welded in tomorrow...
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #131
67c10rustbuket

Here it is with some powder coat on it and a "test fit" shot, looks good I think..
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #132
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD1 View Post
Looking good Dan. It looks like you put a few spot welds on the seam instead of welding the whole thing, right? Got your package today. Thanks again for sending it. Gonna try and get some work done tomorrow. Was busy trying to modify my air compressor today; broke it instead.

Yeah thats right on the welding, the patch was so thin that i tack welded it starting about 4 inches apart, weld, move 4" weld, move... once you make it to the end go back to the starting point and add another tack weld, move to the next and so on. It is a long process for sure. No prob on the extra parts man, I had to refurb my compressor too and my local buddy "suspect" hooked me up with some parts so my compressor is kickin' butt now

Quote:
What is that lever tied up above the pedal?
That is the emergency brake ! isn't it fugly? that was a 1967-68 only deal, in 1969 up they moved it to the more traditional floor pedal "E" brake next to the kick panel. There are a few differences and more one year only features to the '67 model year. I like my odd ball and I think the hand operated "E: brake is pretty cool looking but kinda inconvenient if you need it in an "emergency".

Old 05-20-2012, 01:23 AM   #133
67c10rustbuket

Once I mount the rear pillar that I re-made I will of course be adding the rocker and cab corner no later than a week from now !!!

I considered re-using the original cab corner considering my experience with taiwanese parts so I took my cab corner to work and sand blasted it. well take a look. There weren't any holes in it when I cut it off.....

The Tri Plus cab corner is actually thicker than the original and seems to fit very well. The only flaw I have noticed is the radius around the seam to the pinch weld is different than original but no one will ever notice just me being anal I guess.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #134
67c10rustbuket

Just for fun here is a pic of the LMC rear pillar bottom... notice where the cab corner should be spot welded to, I can stick my finger in between the gap, no bueno !. Seriously LMC? Do you want to borrow my calipers to remeasure your piece? Also the outer flange is curved not straight as LMC has these formed. The flange that should mate to the holes in the cab support is not wide enough to accept the bolts from the cab support.

1st pic = LMC, bad

2nd pic = Dan, Good!!
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #135
67c10rustbuket

Also on the agenda for this week I have to fix this issue with the cowl vent rust. The piece I removed was bubbling with rust at the bottom seam where it was not draining properly so here is what I cut out and a (huge) patch I made to replace that section. I will sand blast and coat the internal surfaces with POR15 before welding in the new patch. The patch I made is a little oversized around the bottom edge and curve so I will just smooth that out once it is welded in place..
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #136
67cheby
67cheby

Nice work
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #137
Lower

I would say your panel looks way nicer than lmc's. Looks like your making some forward progress.

Ol Green 1970 K10ish LWB,454/400/205, been in family since new.
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=516056
Lower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #138
mcbassin
Still Learning

Nice work on the rust repair. Brings back some good memories.
Posted via Mobile Device
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #139
DD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post

That is the emergency brake ! isn't it fugly? that was a 1967-68 only deal, in 1969 up they moved it to the more traditional floor pedal "E" brake next to the kick panel. There are a few differences and more one year only features to the '67 model year. I like my odd ball and I think the hand operated "E: brake is pretty cool looking but kinda inconvenient if you need it in an "emergency".

The brake us certainly unique. I kind of like that it's different. I wonder how they ever came to be called emergency brakes, they are actually parking brakes. The only emergency it might help with is if your car was parked and started to roll and you happen to be close enough and quick enough to jump in and apply the parking brake.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #140
DD1

Nice work on the inner cowl. That's the area that scared me the most about my original cab. Of course it needs more than just the panel you replaced; it was rusted through all over.

I am glad I did not order parts from LMC; I had read on here about people having problems; not too mention they are very expensive on a lot of parts. I ordered my parts from Classic Parts; guess I will find out soon enough how good they are.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #141
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Nice work
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Mike! only 7 years to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lower View Post
I would say your panel looks way nicer than lmc's. Looks like your making some forward progress.
Thanks Jon, It fit better too! pice coming up next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Nice work on the rust repair. Brings back some good memories.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey now, I wish it was a memory. I see the light at the end of the tunnel then I remember I still have to do the passenger side, doh!

Quote:
Nice work on the inner cowl. That's the area that scared me the most about my original cab. Of course it needs more than just the panel you replaced; it was rusted through all over.

I am glad I did not order parts from LMC; I had read on here about people having problems; not too mention they are very expensive on a lot of parts. I ordered my parts from Classic Parts; guess I will find out soon enough how good they are.
Yeah "georgia" is a little scary sometimes but I was dumb enough to buy her and to stubborn to give up. I just take it one step at a time and we're making progress.

I Bought all my steel except that piece from classic in oklahoma city and well they were ok (tri-plus branded) but that lmc piece, Wow! wasted beer money I guess.. apparently Tri-plus doesn't make that piece but I found out Tabco does but I didnt want to wait so I re-made it myself. I have bought other parts from them but not rust repair and was fairly pleased but that one was very dissapointing.

Last edited by 67c10rustbuket; 05-24-2012 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 PM   #142
67c10rustbuket

Here is my rear pillar piece that I installed today, not my prettiest welding but it works. Where did that goat come from ??
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 10:37 PM   #143
67c10rustbuket

Then I bolted the pillar to the cab support through the inner rocker/floor. I will put a few welds on it once I set the door gap. Another test fit of the rocker and the rocker seems to fit very well so far but I will wait on another test fit of the door to make that call. with my old cab corner held in place all the gaps look nice though.

I haven't cut the replacement cab corner yet so I will see how that goes and make a choice there. You can see how my cab is about a half inch lower than the bed here (shot cab mounts) and that is what's holding me back on bolting in the trans mount and making any progress with the drivetrain. I will be addressing that and working on firing up the engine once I get some rollers on the front. Well and buying/making an exhaust system.. Later, Dan
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #144
67cheby
67cheby

Lol, don't try to match my build time !! It is not for the weak at heart ! Lol, I think 5 of the 9 years were burnout periods !
Posted via Mobile Device
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #145
cubber

Thumbs up Re: Rustbuket 67 build "Georgia"

That is the emergency brake ! isn't it fugly? that was a 1967-68 only deal, in 1969 up they moved it to the more traditional floor pedal "E" brake next to the kick panel. There are a few differences and more one year only features to the '67 model year. I like my odd ball and I think the hand operated "E: brake is pretty cool looking but kinda inconvenient if you need it in an "emergency".[/QUOTE]

Apparently you've never ridden with ME.

Just wanted to say that I am at the beginning of my project, and your progress is inspiring. i have a 72 swb fleetside in a really similar condition to where you started. Luckily, I also have a retired buddy with a big shop who can out work most 20 yr olds. In fact, he just practically gave me a 69 swb stepside that is about as rust free as these trucks get (when you're buying one that hasn.t been off the frame. I have been working every day this week pulling the $3000 worth of stuff i put on the 72 (plus the 5 lug stuff) ang putting it on the "69. I didn't mean to be long winded, but I have been looking around on this site for a while, and when I saw a guy my age that was doing what I like to do, I thought that it was a good opportunity for my first post. Thanks for the inspiration.
Matt
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 AM   #146
bjcaldwe

Looking good man.
bjcaldwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #147
mcbassin
Still Learning

Good progress Dan!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #148
fakerwade

Quote:
Good progress Dan!
X2,,,,(where did that goat come from???)
Build thread "TANGERINE" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=498570

Board Members Met: bigblock68, ol_skool_chevy ,68TT,atvpro
fakerwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #149
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJs69CST View Post
Lookin' good .
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
Lol, don't try to match my build time !! It is not for the weak at heart ! Lol, I think 5 of the 9 years were burnout periods !
Posted via Mobile Device
Just messing with you, I hope I get done a lot sooner and actually I want to drive it in all it's ugliness this fall. Maybe just to 7/11 for a beer but to have it "driving" none the less and save up and buy all that fancy PB stuff and some Tubz then tear it back apart for the suspension mods and paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubber View Post

Apparently you've never ridden with ME.

Just wanted to say that I am at the beginning of my project, and your progress is inspiring. i have a 72 swb fleetside in a really similar condition to where you started. Luckily, I also have a retired buddy with a big shop who can out work most 20 yr olds. In fact, he just practically gave me a 69 swb stepside that is about as rust free as these trucks get (when you're buying one that hasn.t been off the frame. I have been working every day this week pulling the $3000 worth of stuff i put on the 72 (plus the 5 lug stuff) ang putting it on the "69. I didn't mean to be long winded, but I have been looking around on this site for a while, and when I saw a guy my age that was doing what I like to do, I thought that it was a good opportunity for my first post. Thanks for the inspiration.
Matt
Matt, Thanks for checking out my build. I have been known to do some crazy driving, but at 34 im starting to calm down. It sure isn't the fanciest truck yet but hey you gotta get the dirty work out of the way first. That is great about scoring a rust free truck and the friendly hook up is awesome. Start up a build thread so we can all see what you have going on, sounds like a great project. Glad I could inspire someone I thought I was pretty slow and boring. This forum is great for learning all types of new stuff and meeting new friends and other local guys to help each other out and do some trading and sharing of parts. Also we try to meet up for BBQ once in a while, a great place to meet some good people!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjcaldwe View Post
Looking good man.
Thanks Billy!

Quote:
Good progress Dan!
Thanks Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerwade View Post
X2,,,,(where did that goat come from???)
LOL thanks Wade, There's another goat on my chin. That was the OKC zoo, was an abnormally cool day so it was real slow which made a great day for my daughter no sweating and waiting in line.

I have a few "honey-doo's" today and will get back on "Georgia" this evening.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #150
El Campo

That B pillar looks great after you fixed it up. Way better than the LMC one. The most impressive thing to me is that you managed to fix the floor with the seat in there!!! You must be a lot more flexible that I am!
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote