The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #1551
Rochlow

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

I gotta tell ya, I'm at the paint crossroad myself. I've looked at a few options and today had a friend who is a painter give me a ballpark quote. That being said, I look at my truck as a weekend toy that I've already dumped way more money in then I ever thought I would.

That being said I think fancy shiney paint is out of my grasp and honestly money could be better spent on other things. I've looked into having rubber wrapped and doing the Iron B patina thing.

The bottom line is like you, I want to drive my truck this year. So if means driving with crappy paint or a different paint option so be it
Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #1552
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRC View Post
Since your talking about driving it this summer ..... did you get a Boyd's tank ??
Yeah I have a Boyd's tank ready to go in.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #1553
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochlow View Post
I gotta tell ya, I'm at the paint crossroad myself. I've looked at a few options and today had a friend who is a painter give me a ballpark quote. That being said, I look at my truck as a weekend toy that I've already dumped way more money in then I ever thought I would.

That being said I think fancy shiney paint is out of my grasp and honestly money could be better spent on other things. I've looked into having rubber wrapped and doing the Iron B patina thing.

The bottom line is like you, I want to drive my truck this year. So if means driving with crappy paint or a different paint option so be it
I still have a lot of stuff I still have to buy for this truck including redoing my buddy buckets, glass, wiring, bumpers, trim, accuair elevel, bed wood and a bed since I don't currently have one. I also don't want to cheap out on any of those items and then have to redo them because I didn't buy what I wanted. I already did that to many times on this truck.

This is not a daily driver either. It is only a weekend toy so I want to drive it. I have already worked on it for 4 years and at this point just want to turn the key and go for a ride. If I have to go back and paint it at some point no big deal. My wife also wants me to not worry about the paint and finish putting it together, and since she puts up with me spending all my time and money on this thing I should probably listen to her

66 Suburban

Old 01-01-2014, 06:07 PM   #1554
Rochlow

Cool Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
I still have a lot of stuff I still have to buy for this truck including redoing my buddy buckets, glass, wiring, bumpers, trim, accuair elevel, bed wood and a bed since I don't currently have one. I also don't want to cheap out on any of those items and then have to redo them because I didn't buy what I wanted. I already did that to many times on this truck.

This is not a daily driver either. It is only a weekend toy so I want to drive it. I have already worked on it for 4 years and at this point just want to turn the key and go for a ride. If I have to go back and paint it at some point no big deal. My wife also wants me to not worry about the paint and finish putting it together, and since she puts up with me spending all my time and money on this thing I should probably listen to her
My wife has the same sentiment. It's a course at wife training school.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #1555
Bennett68C10

I hear that

Page flip pic
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 01-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #1556
mcbassin
Still Learning

I totally understand you being ready to drive your truck Keith. I'm in the same boat myself. This is my 4th winter on mine. Bodywork can take forever if you're slow like me too.
You have to make that decision, but I'm sure you could handle painting it yourself, based on the skill you have dimenstrated on the build so far.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #1557
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I totally understand you being ready to drive your truck Keith. I'm in the same boat myself. This is my 4th winter on mine. Bodywork can take forever if you're slow like me too.
You have to make that decision, but I'm sure you could handle painting it yourself, based on the skill you have dimenstrated on the build so far.
Thanks Mike, I have to admit that when I started this build I had no clue what I was doing. I was totally relying on my father and brother to show me how to do everything. I have learned a lot over the past 4 years and have been pretty much doing things on my own for the past year except for some things here and there like the driveshaft. I'm not confident with paint because I have never done it before, but I guess the worse that can happen is me just sanding it back off. I know my father can paint because he did his 40 pickup but I'm not sure if he will be up to it. I guess what I really need to do is pick up a paint gun and just try it.

66 Suburban

Old 01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #1558
RustyVolks

I just read this whole thread last night.. Being new to the C10 world, and wanting to lower my truck, I was excited to see your 5/7 combo.. Then you busted out the Porterbuilt dropmember jazz.. DAMN!!! That stuff is soo cool.. I was all over their website checking out all the goodies they have and gallerys.. Got me all jacked up!!! Thanks for sharing your build with us, and having great pics.. Can't wait to see more!!
RustyVolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #1559
CC69Rat

Keith -- just give it a try man. You can paint. Just remember it's 90% prep, and the end result is only going to be as good as what's underneath it!

1967 C10 SWB - Project Savannah - 6.0/4L80 *Currently underway*
1968 C10 SWB - TOTY 2018, 50th Anniversary Tribute Project * Sold * Pride and Joy
1986 Silverado Short Fleet - Scarlet *Sold*
1985 Silverado Short Fleet *Sold*
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted, Built
1992 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4x4 - Lifted
2013 Honda Accord EX-L v6 Coupe 6spd (wife's ride)
CC69Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #1560
knomadd

You can always spray a few practice panels if you're not comfortable with it. I can tell you that a solid color is much easier to spray than a metallic. And a pearl is the hardest to spray. By using practice panels, you can get your technique down (and confidence up) before attempting it on the truck. I'm sure you could pull it off. I sprayed the door jambs, underside of the hood and trunk on my GTO in a pearl paint for my first ever attempt at painting a vehicle. My only practice before that was primer. I wasn't confident in myself for the outside of the car, so I paid a painter to spray the outside of the car.

If you want to paint, you'll definitely want to spray the primer yourself to get some practice in.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:20 PM   #1561
87Jimmy4JP

a good paint job absolutely starts with good prep work...and having as clean an environment as possible...which can be done on the cheap by the way..turning your garage into a temporary spray booth with fans, ect...

I have also found that getting a better than average spray gun is key...you dont have to go nuts, but dont buy one at Costco if you know what I mean.

If you have a body shop guy, or your buddy or your dad, ask them for their advice on decent equipment.

Spraying practice panels is a great idea. Try to use decent paint and thinner so you get a good feel for how this stuff behaves. If your really good with a spray can, you will be even better with a spray gun...

You can even practice by follow the contours of your panels with your hand only first, then add the gun, then the hose, then just air, then add water with a little dawn dishwashing detergent to give the old girl a bath.....if you see nice even application with this solution, it mimics painting....sort of....

when painting, look at the surface you are painting and not the gun(more specifically, you do need to look at the distance the gun is away from the surface from time to time, but to see how the paint is being applied, you really have to watch the surface as the paint is being sprayed on it....your angle to any light source is important too) ....look for the panel to get shiny as your painting maybe on the second or third pass...once thats achieved, move on to the next panel. Unless spraying with one stage enamels, you dont have to go too heavy with the color....you will be clearing over it anyway....

how fast you move your arm back and forth comes with practice and is in proportion to the distance you are away from the surface, your air pressure, paint consistency, ect....

Its really a lot of fun once you get it down....Im in a similar learning curve with welding right now and just beginning to enjoy it.....

Your truck is awesome, by the way...great work...very inspiring...

JP
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #1562
C10_ustacould
A day late and $1 short...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Jimmy4JP View Post
a good paint job absolutely starts with good prep work...and having as clean an environment as possible...which can be done on the cheap by the way..turning your garage into a temporary spray booth with fans, ect...

I have also found that getting a better than average spray gun is key...you dont have to go nuts, but dont buy one at Costco if you know what I mean.

If you have a body shop guy, or your buddy or your dad, ask them for their advice on decent equipment.

Spraying practice panels is a great idea. Try to use decent paint and thinner so you get a good feel for how this stuff behaves. If your really good with a spray can, you will be even better with a spray gun...

You can even practice by follow the contours of your panels with your hand only first, then add the gun, then the hose, then just air, then add water with a little dawn dishwashing detergent to give the old girl a bath.....if you see nice even application with this solution, it mimics painting....sort of....

when painting, look at the surface you are painting and not the gun(more specifically, you do need to look at the distance the gun is away from the surface from time to time, but to see how the paint is being applied, you really have to watch the surface as the paint is being sprayed on it....your angle to any light source is important too) ....look for the panel to get shiny as your painting maybe on the second or third pass...once thats achieved, move on to the next panel. Unless spraying with one stage enamels, you dont have to go too heavy with the color....you will be clearing over it anyway....

how fast you move your arm back and forth comes with practice and is in proportion to the distance you are away from the surface, your air pressure, paint consistency, ect....

Its really a lot of fun once you get it down....Im in a similar learning curve with welding right now and just beginning to enjoy it.....

JP
Great advice right here!!

Instagram: C10_ustacould

1963 SWB Fleet Side 528 Desert Beige
Milly

1967 SWB Step Side 506 Medium Blue
The Old Girl

1968 SWB Fleet Side 503 Light Green
Ellie SOLD

1965 SWB Fleet Side 507 Light Blue
Prescription Strength SOLD

1971 SWB Fleet Side 521 White
Shiro SOLD

1968 SWB Step Side 503 Light Green
My Old Farm Truck SOLD
C10_ustacould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #1563
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyVolks View Post
I just read this whole thread last night.. Being new to the C10 world, and wanting to lower my truck, I was excited to see your 5/7 combo.. Then you busted out the Porterbuilt dropmember jazz.. DAMN!!! That stuff is soo cool.. I was all over their website checking out all the goodies they have and gallerys.. Got me all jacked up!!! Thanks for sharing your build with us, and having great pics.. Can't wait to see more!!
thanks for checking out my build, as you can tell I had a hard time making up my mind throughout the course of it but I wouldn't change anything I have done except for selling the Vintecs. That was probably a dumb choice one of the reasons why I changed things so much is because this is not just some truck for me to build and sell. This is my dream truck and when I started I had zero budget but as the years went on finances got a lot better and allowed me to do things I would have never dreamed of. I would have never thought I would have dropmembers but now I do, I also would have never thought I would have owned a set of billet wheels again and I had 2 sets so far. I just figure if it is my dream truck then do exactly what I always wanted to do

66 Suburban

Last edited by Bennett68C10; 01-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 PM   #1564
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC69Rat View Post
Keith -- just give it a try man. You can paint. Just remember it's 90% prep, and the end result is only going to be as good as what's underneath it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
You can always spray a few practice panels if you're not comfortable with it. I can tell you that a solid color is much easier to spray than a metallic. And a pearl is the hardest to spray. By using practice panels, you can get your technique down (and confidence up) before attempting it on the truck. I'm sure you could pull it off. I sprayed the door jambs, underside of the hood and trunk on my GTO in a pearl paint for my first ever attempt at painting a vehicle. My only practice before that was primer. I wasn't confident in myself for the outside of the car, so I paid a painter to spray the outside of the car.

If you want to paint, you'll definitely want to spray the primer yourself to get some practice in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Jimmy4JP View Post

JP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
Great advice right here!!
Thanks guys for the boost of confidence and all the advice. You guys are inspiring me to give it a try. I know my father can give me pointers and I would like to try it but I'm a perfectionist and if I don't think it looks right it will drive me mad.

Thanks JP for all the advice on painting and for checking out my build. I will definitely be painting in my garage as I have nothing else to do it in. I also plan on solid colors, Red with a White grill, no metallics and no pearls. If I try it I want to keep it as simple as possible. I also don't know if I should paint it with BC/CC or single stage. Because I'm a complete noob at this I would think single stage would be easier to spray because I would only be spraying color and not clear but then I read that BC/CC is easier for noobs like me. I'm not against trying anything, what do you guys think?

66 Suburban

Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #1565
knomadd

I like BC/CC paints. Never really dealt with single stage myself though. But I've heard some guys apply the base coat, let it cure, color sand it, then spray several coats of clear. If your base is good, clear can go on right after the base flashes, like the pros do it. I'm no expert so you'll want to check with guys who paint a lot to be sure how you want to go about it.

However, I do know that if you run the clear, some guys will keep spraying to run it off the panel then just sand off the drips. I've seen it done and have seen the unsanded drips from this kind of trick. I don't know how this would work with single stage.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 AM   #1566
Bennett68C10

I'm hoping I got the last of the cab rust licked today, I cut out the rusty spot from the corner of the visor area and had my brother weld a patch in. I checked the rest of the visor area across the top and this was the only spot. Funny thing though a 1/2" hole turned into a 2" patch.
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 01-06-2014, 12:14 AM   #1567
jlsanborn

I bet that was a fun spot to work on. Looks great!
I smell Suburban in here...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #1568
Bennett68C10

I also shaved the antenna hole from my cowl. The hole was pretty messed up so we cut it out with a 2 1/2" holesaw and my brother welded in the patch piece. Came out pretty good, now just like everything else on the cab, it just needs a little bodywork
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 01-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #1569
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
I bet that was a fun spot to work on. Looks great!
I smell Suburban in here...
Yeah that was a crappy area to weld and grind down. I think I still have metal shavings on me.

Nice eye on the Burb, it's my brothers play toy
Attached Images

66 Suburban

Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM   #1570
mikeleeshields

I'm feeling you on the cab patch. I looked at mine yesterday and I am going to have to patch mine almost all the way across the front. I have a full patch panel but I am going to try and leave as much of the origina sheetmeta I can. Wish me luck on that task. I only have the cab corners and the top of the cab to patch then I can finally mount the cab on the frame. That will be a big day.

Mike
mikeleeshields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #1571
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
I'm feeling you on the cab patch. I looked at mine yesterday and I am going to have to patch mine almost all the way across the front. I have a full patch panel but I am going to try and leave as much of the origina sheetmeta I can. Wish me luck on that task. I only have the cab corners and the top of the cab to patch then I can finally mount the cab on the frame. That will be a big day.
It is a pretty big moment to see the cab go back on after all the work we put into them. It really feels good to see it look like a truck again even if you have to take it back apart to finish the bodywork and paint. Good luck on the visor patch, I'm just happy I only had that area to fix, it was a pain.

66 Suburban

Old 01-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #1572
Bhelton

Those cab patches blow, I had to replace my whole inner front section. I guess the worst part was doing all the grinding and sanding over head. Keep up the progress...you'll have it done in no time!
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #1573
Rochlow

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=454571

5150's build thread using latex paint and Iron B
Old 01-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #1574
Rusbuilt

Also heres where to get the info on the Iron B
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=549806
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:20 PM   #1575
mcbassin
Still Learning

On your paint job, as stated above the key is good preparation. The bodywork is the hardest part and of course the most time consuming. I can actually lay a pretty nice paint job with a $16 harbor freight paint gun if the prep is done right.
With that said, yes buy the best gun you can afford or borrow a good one from a friend. It makes it easier to lay the paint down.

A big misconception about do it yourself paint jobs, worrying about the actual painting.
Painting is the easiest part (if you don't screw up and make runs)(ask me about runs). It's actually the bonus for all the labor you put into the prep work. I learned the hard way about being impatient recently. I didn't wait the correct time between coats of clear and it sagged like crazy. This is very important!

I recommend using BC/CC just because it's a little more forgiving, in my opinion only. You will get a better depth of shine too. (when buffed). Single stage is great for a driver but your truck is far more than a standard driver, so go ahead and pop for the good paint. Red is expensive BTW. The secret is buy as good of a clear coat as you can afford too. The cheap clears can and will look good too but some yellow and some delaminate quickly.
I would happy to share all my recent learning experience about body work and painting. It has been an education, I painted a bunch of cars back in the 90s and I had to learn all over again
BTW, I have been being tutored by screaminchevypickup (Kyle). He has been helping me a bunch with my concerns as I go. He make some killer paint jobs look easy!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote