The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #1626
53Sparky

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
i love reading about the exploits that you guys had, mainly because it seems like you're still here.

you know, martins 51st birthday is a great excuse to come back.

till then...
Ya know... Colorado's not that far away either once you're on the interstate. You'd be welcome here any time if you're already in the US for his 51st. I've been enjoying your updates.

Please continue...

Sparky

Numbers 6:24-26
53Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #1627
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Im still with you ,love the old Studebaker truck ,train and everything else .
Study alert is rather yummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Waiting for moire!
In a moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
i love reading about the exploits that you guys had, mainly because it seems like you're still here.

you know, martins 51st birthday is a great excuse to come back.

till then...
Interestingly, I feel this is a revisit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Sparky View Post
Ya know... Colorado's not that far away either once you're on the interstate. You'd be welcome here any time if you're already in the US for his 51st. I've been enjoying your updates.

Please continue...

Sparky
Thank you, will do.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:28 PM   #1628
Grizz1963

Last night I did not have any photos of another part of our day.

Bret had taken his day off and swapped it out to be able to spend the day with us. Nice guy ehhh?

Anyway, from his dad's place we went via their new home that is being built right now.

It will have a nice sized family garage, and space for his woodwork machines and Jennifer's truck.

So Martin and I were walking about in the house, just amazed at how much value for money homes offer in the U.S. versus the U.K.

2015-10-10 11.31.04 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

2015-10-10 11.29.10 by bjohnson388, on Flickr

After a drive through the new neighbourhood to look at all the lovely different designs available, we took off for Bret's mum in laws place via Smokey Mo's Bar-B-Q where Bret treated us to some seriously mind expanding sandwiches and those massive gallon cups of drink.
I opted for a brisket wrap, actually the smallest one I could get and it was just a perfect for me. I have never eaten brisket that good.

It seems Mo has built up his chain of restaurants one shop at a time. And what a great job he has done.

Interestingly, a Ford Connect van as their delivery van.

I do not have a photo of the whole front of Bret's section of the garages, but suffice it to say, it is three times the size of a typical British terrace house.

Inside. There are signs of loyalties. The sort of thing I should maybe try make some time.

Awkward to get the size of these spaces into perspective.

The more we looked, the more we saw.

This road trip has been allowing us so much incredibly good quality time to spend with and getting to know good friends, establishing friendships that should stand the test of time.

While we were out in the garages, Gladys came home in her "Little car" a VW Tiguan.

After a while we went indoors to chat to her, and I found her in the kitchen with a dismantled electric chainsaw........ What a girl !!

She needed it fixed and rather than cry about it, she just got on with it.

Her dogs were all over us as well, so again it made my day.

Jay Bird, a work in progress.

This was after all a Chevy C10 road trip, so good to see another and all the work Bret has done on his full resto of this truck for Jennifer.

Last photo for now.........

This car belongs to Gladys and she wanted me to drive it when we went out later in the afternoon for a significantly long drive around the greater Austin area.

Bret spoiled me by taking me to a real Mom n Pop's shop. Something I really appreciated.

The car had been a gift from Galdys' late husband and she rarely uses it these days, but Bret looks after it.

So the question is.........

What is it??

Old 11-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #1629
flashed

Qlds Omega ?

Still enjoying the trip too.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:42 AM   #1630
disasterbus

A nice surprise in the post this morning was a package from Rian containing a sticker he picked up on his recent road trip and a cool tee shirt which was a present for me from Clem.

Another example of how cool the people are that share our interest in all things automotive when someone you've never met takes the time and trouble to send something to someone they've never met. Thanks Clem (and of course, thanks Grizz for taking care of the shipping!)

disasterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #1631
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by disasterbus View Post
A nice surprise in the post this morning was a package from Rian containing a sticker he picked up on his recent road trip and a cool tee shirt which was a present for me from Clem.

Another example of how cool the people are that share our interest in all things automotive when someone you've never met takes the time and trouble to send something to someone they've never met. Thanks Clem (and of course, thanks Grizz for taking care of the shipping!)

An absolute pleasure Kerry.

You are a good man, easy as that.

So we had lunch at Mo's Bar-B-Q and then headed out to our next stop.

The clue to the car wheel in the last photo was in the badge on the centre cap.

So this is what I found in the garage, parked up on the one end.

1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass.

350ci Oldsmobile engine with Edelbrock carb and intake.
Turbo 350 transmission.
Full Flowmaster exhaust system

It's an all original car 90,000 miles. Everything is stock on it.

So once I had declined to drive it, I actually wanted to sit in the rear and be driven around with the roof down, taking photos and looking at everything around me.
Thankfully Bret agreed to drive to his mum in laws disappointment.

We went for a long drive and Bret took us to a great old Skool Mom and Pop shop, selling everything from nuts n bolts to fertiliser and everything inbetween.

Parked up outside the store.

I love this view, and of course the number plate.

Coming to the store these BBQ's caught my eye.

Goods in and round the shop that caught my eyes.

Loads of ideas for stuff I can make in future.

I sooooo wanted to buy some of these signs, but of course we were overloaded with truck spares already.

We still had a dinner date with Bret's wife, Jennifer and the kids later in the day, so dragged ourselves away, back into the car and drove back, to get back into our boring rent-o-drive.

My back seat view.....

Another perfect day ???

Being in Austin, Texas, the football team choice had to be....

During the day we had started to discuss dinner, actually while eating at the Bar-B-Q restaurant.

The choice of restaurant was pretty easy........ Steak Please, I said.

We met Jennifer and the kids at Longhorn Restaurant.

Great food, beer and company.
Martin got to have his cake and eat it again..... Just how long had this birthday been going on??
I chose a T-Bone steak and fries plus a side salad that worked just right as veggies are in short supply in America.... Meat is king (not that I would complain about that) the meat in the USA is very much like that in South Africa, often free range reared and with added sunshine.
The meal was another highlight as was pretty much every meal we had had to date. Bret picked up the tab, which was nice of him, but to be honest, we were prepared to pay our way, still it again evidenced this incredible American hospitality we were experiencing daily. Thanks friend.

The kids I have to say are incredibly well behaved and were a pleasure to have with us for dinner. I do not like kids in restaurants in general, but would happily host a dinner party with these boys.

Martin, Bret and I at dinner, thanks to Jennifer for taking the photo.

After dinner we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.

Austin was Awesome, thanks to another great friendship and peoples absolute generosity we had just experienced another unforgettable day. A perfect foundation for an ongoing friendship that had a preamble of a few years via the Internet and shared interests.

We got to the hotel and turned in eventually, aware that this holiday was about to end, but it was continuing to peak in delivery.

Tomorrow it was back to Fort Worth, via another internet friend, Rusty Escott who works as a sound technician and roadie. He has travelled with some great bands and groups in the past.

Rock on Bucket List.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #1632
mjh1965

Thanks for posting Rian . I thought I'd add a photo I took of a very proud owner with her car

Once again it was great to meet up with another forum member Brett and his family . The day couldn't have been any better, great food and getting to drive around in a soft top on a warm day , with great company . This has been one of the best trips ever .

MY BUILD THREAD:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=611614
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #1633
bj383ss

Was a fantastic day Rian. But like all great things it went by too fast. Saying goodbye to you guys was bittersweet. I hope someday to hang out with you guys again either here or possibly on your turf. Only time will tell. As you said a great friendship with you and Martin. Thank you again for the prezzies and letting me be a part of your trip.

Awesome pic Martin of Gladys and her car.

Bret
Old 11-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #1634
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj383ss View Post
Was a fantastic day Rian. But like all great things it went by too fast. Saying goodbye to you guys was bittersweet. I hope someday to hang out with you guys again either here or possibly on your turf. Only time will tell. As you said a great friendship with you and Martin. Thank you again for the prezzies and letting me be a part of your trip.

Awesome pic Martin of Gladys and her car.

Bret

Bret, I really trust you know that visiting you and your family was not negotiable at all.

Martin and I agreed from day one in December when we agreed to do this trip, that the non negotiables, despite distance, would be you and Clem. All the other people had to happen and unfortunately, time, distance and location meant some would not happen. But the Don's, Phil's Kieth's and others we met up with, were all penned into the planning, in fact, I had a written framework of where we wanted to or had to get to.

Thanks again. You made it worthwhile.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #1635
flashed

What a nice Cutlass convertible and I love the orange ,I wanted to paint our 72 Malibu that color but was overruled by the boss ,her car .Still here and wanting to see more .
Old 11-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #1636
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #1637
Grizz1963

Quote:
What a nice Cutlass convertible and I love the orange ,I wanted to paint our 72 Malibu that color but was overruled by the boss ,her car .Still here and wanting to see more .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post

There you go guys.

OK

Scraping the barrel?

Nope, not really, just found more pics from Austin,Texas.

When we got to Bret's place we had some good, English tea and patrolled all the sights at his dads place with our mugs.

Martin pulled the short straw.

My $100.00 worth of switchgear for the steering I had bought off Clem in Arkansas, delivered to Bret.

Gladys worked with some pretty tough guys in her life. She also retired from the job twice, and both times they made her a trophy.

To me it spoke volumes..... The lady had super sized nuts to work with the guys she worked with.

Bret's first car, still has it, awaiting another restoration, one day.

Gladys' late husbands truck, this is a truck to want to own. ORIGINAL, low miles.

Some used English and South African plates in the rafters, including the one of my old Mercedes from 2006

When we went out to the Longhorn restaurant, they had some great looking displays. Including these belt buckles.

Simple classy wine rack, I like it.

So that was now really the end of Austin and our time with Bret.

More soon.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #1638
flashed

Them are some big NUTS .
Old 11-27-2015, 06:55 PM   #1639
Grizz1963

Back on the road.

The next day we had a leisurely get up, then had to suffer the indignity of having our room inspected before our deposit was returned..... Did I mention this was a Best Western?
Yes, avoid it. Clean, functional, but full of carp.
The duty manager (possibly franchise owner) said we could have our deposit back once the front desk lady asked him.

There are better, possibly friendlier hotels out there, yes we experienced one the next night. So stand by.

So we left at some point, leaving Austin, Texas behind and headed for Waco, Texas............. Remember Waco??

We were going to meet Rusty Escott who is another Chevy guy I had met on the web.

It is also the home of the Texas Ranger Museum and Hall of Fame. Rusty had planned to take us there, but in the end, time changed things a bit for us.

Once we got to where he lives, after getting lost by about 50 meters, it was sweet iced tea, sit down, chat to his wife Delaina and pet his dog Lamont.
His daily driver, by choice, is a 1987 C10 SWB with 350/700r4 transmission.
Stashed away and awaiting attention is also a 1966 C10 LWB Chevy.
Rusty has worked along others and toured with U2, country singer Clint Black and magician David Copperfield. He has also done special lighting for last years American Country Music Awards at the AT&T stadium, and the Cowboys Thanksgiving shows.
So a guy who again brought such a different set of skills, experience and conversation to our visit.

Did I mention that this trip just kept on giving and giving.....?

Rusty has worked as a Sound Engineer on big productions for a long time.

He has had stage passes for some of the top acts in the world.

This is his world........

Action.... Lights....

Rusty is a truck guy too, he has a couple of them.

This is his daily, seems it is a bit faster than it looks like, always good to know.

So we set off for lunch..... Rusty in the navigating seat. The man knows Waco like the back of his hand.

Lunch was decided to be at Poppa Rollo's Pizza, an establishment with loads of interesting guests, and winner of multiple awards over the years.

Anyone know "Achmed the Dead Terrorist"
Jeff Dunham, his creator was there recently too, seems they are well known to celebrities. Turned out to be a great choice by Rusty.

Anyway, we drove around Waco and eventually got there.

What a pleasant surprise, no pretence, just honest food and a nice waitress.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:55 PM   #1640
Grizz1963

Coming down the street, I noticed the fire engine before I realised where we were headed as the same place.
Says a lot for the choice of advertising vehicle.

Other side.

Once inside, we were amazed at all the interesting stuff, including a full arcade with loads of retro games.

And some of these.

Inside on one of the walls was this angry bear.

We had ordered a massive pizza, bottomless drinks, refilled before we even asked.

The pizza was thin base, but heavily loaded with toppings.

After lunch we decided to swing by some pawn shops, as they are often a good source of used and cheap tools, however, not in Waco Texas..... This shop was clearly just a massive arms shop, run by some amazingly nice Texans.

Car parked outside and then we all marched in.

The old guys in the shop seemed to like talking to me, and I was given these to take home to England.

I like them just because.

I will leave you with this as my last photo from inside the pawn shop.

.Once we ran out of pawnshop time, we drove back to Rusty's place.

Rusty had also offered to drive two hours through to Dallas to pick up my ski bag, should the airline decide it was just too big for the hold.
He would then ship it home later.
This offer was another shining example of just how unselfish Texans are.

Thank you Rusty, you are a star.

Martin and I still needed to get to Fort Worth for the evening, and wanted to be checked in by 5pm at the latest so that we could go online to pre-book our seats, in case we would get lucky like on the inbound flight and get a pair of seats side by side.

That way we could also get some dinner and go do a bit more shopping.

Once we dropped Rusty off, we set the SatNav for our next stop, the La Quenta hotel which was 15 miles from the airport.

We set off and drove on toward our last nights destination, feeling that empty lonely feeling one gets at the end of a good holiday.

I trust we have a few of you hard core readers still here.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #1641
flashed

Still here and sorry the trip is coming to an end .
Old 11-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #1642
realvc

A great trip was had by all. Thanks for sharing your American journey.

Y'all come back anytime.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #1643
RockTonka

Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post

Y'all come back anytime.
What he said^^^^

1966 "Not-So-Original" Chevy Custom Trim Suburban
My Time-Killing Project Truck

1966 GMC Extended cab 1 1/4 ton 4X4
My Son's build thread
RockTonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:06 PM   #1644
Grizz1963

Quote:
Still here and sorry the trip is coming to an end .
Quote:
Originally Posted by realvc View Post

Y'all come back anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTonka View Post
What he said^^^^
Thank you guys.

Vince, Phil, trust me, given a chance, I would be back again.

Problem is I have a mortgage to pay etc, so always other priorities to consider.

But I do feel welcome.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #1645
Grizz1963

So after leaving Rusty in Waco, we drove to Fort Worth where we had booked a room in the La Quinta Inn and Suites on Anderson Boulevard, Eastchase.
I need to mention all of this as this hotel delivered way over the top.
Clean, efficient, inviting, comfortable, staffed by a team of winners that should make the owner very proud, we were impressed, compared to the same money we had spent at another chain of hotels over 4 nights, La Quinta hit it out the park.
There is cheaper out there, but with the amount of distance we did every day, our minimal sleeping, and general self abuse...... The room had to be half decent.

This was our hotel. Looks good ehhh?

After being booked in by an incredibly efficient, friendly and just way above expectation, Britney, we were also invited to have a few beers and a light dinner free of charge on the hotel. Seems they have a free guest dinner and deserts plus drinks on a Wednesday evening so our plans to go out for a burger, pizza or other fast food went straight out the window.
In stead we had good company and food, plus the chef was as sweet and motherly as you could wish for all the way from the Deep South.
Just how good did I mention this trip got on a daily basis? There really were silver linings to our silver linings.

One of the reasons we had left Rusty by 3pm was that we could go online on the complimentary hotel computer to book ourselves in 24 hours before our flight, we hoped to get some nice seats again.
When we went online, there were no nice seats, so we ended up with a pair of adjacent aisle seats.
The hotel also supplies a complimentary printer, Internet etc...... You have to agree, this is very good service.

We had a whole hotel trolley to get all our combined treasures up from the car park to the second floor.

Our room was massive and had two King sized beds, large clean bathroom, massive telly for Martin (I tend to us them for hanging my laundry over) fridge with complimentary half dozen beers. What was not to like.

After dinner we went out to a couple of shops, including Walmart that had Gas Monkey T-Shirts for $7.50 and long sleeved shirts for $10.00, so I was hoping to get a XXL for my friend Alan in the UK as he is a massive GMG fan. No luck, so we went back to our room and Martin started to sort out his packing, getting the weight subdivided between his cases etc, I watched telly with one eye and him stressing with the other eye, but really should have tackled my cases, a fact that would come back to bite me in the butt in the morning.

Another late night, and good nights sleep, we woke up and went to breakfast downstairs.......

Fresh, modern furnishings, loads of food, including sausage, scrambled egg, muffins, biscuits, gravy, waffles, coffee, juice, fresh fruit and a load more stuff to eat. Life was certainly good.

My favourite part of breakfast....... Cereal and great coffee.

After breakfast we went up again, and it was my turn to pull out Martin's hand held scales, a must have on a trip like this. The other thing, if you have not been to the USA before, is locks that the TSA can open, so they are special ones. Get them.

The idea was to distribute the 84kg or 185 pounds in baggage and spares I had bought in such a way that I ended up with 23kg or 50 pound bags, and that they were done in a way that would not leave heavy items rocking and rolling around inside a bag, destroying other fragile parts.

Yes, it was a challenge.

Martin was clearly enjoying my discomfort at this point......... After all, the previous night he had told me more than once to get on and do this. But did I listen..??

I also had my 2.1 meter or 7 foot tall ski bag with stainless bed strips, side mouldings, my treasured Original Auto steering column bought from Clem and my new panhard rod already packed up, at close to 23kg, so the rest of the stuff had to be thought through sensibly.

I failed dismally the first three times I tried to split up the baggage.

Eventually I did have them sorted into exactly the right weight, balanced with padding, packing and in a way I hoped they would not destroy anything inside.

I chose to take my new cab mounting kit, the 24V LED lights, new chrome door handles and lock set into my hand baggage along with some bolts and heavy stuff, in order to offset my hold baggage.

Martin tried to warn me that Security would pull you over for many reasons, so anything that could be deemed a weapon, dangerous or just weird, could have the rubber gloves and drug dogs out in force.

In the mean time Martin with practiced stress and concern kept an eye on the weather and flight departure schedules as there was a bit of bad weather over Texas in the time we were there......

We were leaving on Thursday late for an overnight flight back to the UK.

Looks like we chose the weather just right to leave.

Eventually, well, by 10.30 we were packed, right down to our back packs.
So armed with the hotel trolley we went downstairs to say our goodbyes and settle up and check out.

Not included in the photo was the ski bag.

So we left and stopped at a few shops along the way to the DFW airport.

The faithfull, out of date SatNag took us straight back to Alamo car hire where we turned in the car, unpacked, almost rented a trolley each for $5.00 when a lady called Missy who was part of the check in system, offered to help us drag all our bags to the bus stop to get to the departure area. At this point we were about 4 hours early...... A $5.00 tip meant we had "rented" the trolleys for half price.

We get on the bus, made it to departures.

Then sat around, watching the world go by, surfed the net, read up on some forums and generally got bored.....

Still stressing about whether my oversized ski bag would be allowed on, whether I would get the rubber glove treatment for my 24V LED Lights or have them confiscated as undesirable or dangerous, we could only wait.

Last bit in a while.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #1646
disasterbus

hanging in there for the final chapter in this epic tale - can't wait to find out if you got selected for the 'intimate' search
disasterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #1647
flashed

I have never flown so I have never had to worry about the glove treatment .
Old 11-29-2015, 05:52 PM   #1648
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by disasterbus View Post
hanging in there for the final chapter in this epic tale - can't wait to find out if you got selected for the 'intimate' search
You would be there laughing too.....

Quote:
I have never flown so I have never had to worry about the glove treatment .
Don't need to fly to get the gloves.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:54 PM   #1649
Grizz1963

Seems I screwed up on the link posting for the plane schedules Martin was watching.

Despite the bad weather that everyone had warned us about, all flights seemed to be pretty much on time.

So we would be off as planned.

So there we were, hours early.

A long time to go before we could check in, weigh in and pay in for the extra baggage I knew I had.

Waiting.....

Eventually 2pm got there and Martin and I could wheel our bags over to the ever friendly British Airways ground staff to weigh in and make our way through security.

For the sake of all those who want to do this sort of road trip to buy spares etc, I will do a break down of the baggage and costs as I experienced it.
Martin had done this US trip a few times before with Amanda, so his learnings helped me get it right first time.

So BA gives you 23kg of "free" hold baggage.
A cabin bag, size as per protocol, we did not know, but you can take up to 23kg in it (think power steering pump) as long as you can pick it up and put it in the overhead area yourself, otherwise 10kg if you cannot manage it.
And a"laptop bag" or handbag, we both had small back packs.

Before we left the UK, we both paid for an extra bag, costing us £65.00 online for 23kg into the hold.
Then as my pile of spares etc grew, I realised I would need another bag. Thankfully Kim and Clem had a old large suitcase in their garage that I took along.
My second extra bag cost me £140.00 or $200.00 for the pleasure of 23kg
I eventually weighed in the ski bag as both oversized "sports equipment" and my second extra bag, paying the $200.00 was a 3 minute job.
Then dropping it off at the oversized baggage gate, another 3 minute job.

How easy was that all then.

From there we went through security.

Weirdly, the security personnel were amazingly relaxed, friendly and the lady I passed voiced her exasperation at a passenger ahead of my for being a bit (well, very) thick.

So my backpack and cabin bag went through the X-Rays, I went through the scanner, hands aloft.

No noises..... Phew. Made it !!

Then security asked whose bag my cabin bag was..........

Buggerr !!

So he called me over, told me my bag came up suspect and he needed to go through it.
"Is there anything sharp in the bag that can hurt me?" He asked, I heard myself say "No Sir"
Next he told me to keep my distance, not to speak unless spoken to, not to point anything out to him or touch anything in the bag or that came out of it.

I was worried...... Not a lot, but only because I wondered what had caused them concern. I certainly did not want to leave anything I packed into my 16kg cabin bag behind.

First thing he pulled out, and opened the box of (I had not opened them after collecting at LMC as they were neatly packed, was my new cab mount rubbers and mounting kit..... I think the rubber being organic is the trigger on X-Rays.
He wanted to know what they all were for and his questions were quite naive. So I replied, trying not to point or touch, describing to him what they were for. He then pulled out my new door handles and new lock sets. Once I told him what they were for, he was happy, then back to his screen and pulling out the two LED lights, his interest was even more intense, seems there is a circuit board or something inside them. Anyway, I told him and explained what it was for, even showed him a photo on my mobile of them fitted.
After that he shook my hand, thanked me for my cooperation......
Then he changed completely, from business mode he went to petrol head mode..... Yup, he wanted to know more about my truck, the lights, where they came from and why I was restoring a 1966 Chevy C10 truck.
I suspect Martin was wondering what was going on....

From here we took a walk through Duty Free, nothing of interest there.

Then we went to look for a late lunch.

Finding a place, I ordered a regular (remember, this is Texas and everything is bigger) brisket sandwich and fries plus another of those massive, bottomless drinks.

They keep some good beer as well.

After lunch we settled down to people watching, and waiting for our departure.

Boarding was trouble free.

On the plane I landed next to a super nice guy who was 1.5 times my size, poor guy was stuck in the middle seat, turned out to be a super nice guy from the U.S. who was married to an English girl. His size meant I was sat sideways on takeoff and landing. So the rest of the flight I was mostly standing up, walking and trying to watch a movie while he tried to sleep.

Landing, customs, passport control and the return to out car parking to get my car and head home were all uneventful.

So that was really the end of the holiday.

As a final comment I will post a few pics of the Internet.

Travel whenever you can, go places you never imagined, never thought possible, just go. You will not regret it.

Create a Bucket List, and tick the items off.

Lastly, this road trip delivered no over delivered every day.

I have to thank Nicola my wife for insisting I go with mate Martin who had bugged me for more than 8 months to join him for his 50th birthday party trip.

Every person who reached out and offered us accommodation, advice, friendship and took the time to speak to us.

My world is a better place and my year has been turned into the year of my life after this trip.

I will never forget this.

Thank you all for the comments on the threads I created on various forums.

You made me revisit and enjoy the whole trip again.

Looking forward to the next trip.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #1650
flashed

Thanks for taking us all along with you on this great trip .We love to travel in our Malibu convertible all across this great country and it seems those of us over here take it for granted .It takes guys like ya'll to make us see how lucky we are to have these wide open places to see .So far we have driven our Malibu thru some 44 states thus far and want to get to the rest someday .I still hope we get to meet in person one day but til then I will follow you as you build your trucks and other projects .
John