The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > Diesel Conversions

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
brimc

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
He had to box the rails. thats how all the cool kids were doing it and he wanted to fit in!

HAHAHA

1986 Chevrolet K20 Silverado 12 Valve CUMMINS P Pumped Intercooled/Getrag360/Divorced NP205/10B/14BFF Detroit Locker - DD Canadian Winter Beater.

My Chevrolet CUMMINS Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=585509
brimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
IwantaK5

But I don't want to fit in!!... I built my truck already using the factory equip. and i had the frame powder coated so i was hoping that the boxing was unnecessary, but i guess i would need to box. Thanks for the info.
IwantaK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwantaK5 View Post
But I don't want to fit in!!... I built my truck already using the factory equip. and i had the frame powder coated so i was hoping that the boxing was unnecessary, but i guess i would need to box. Thanks for the info.
You don't have to box the frame if you keep the engine mild. I did it to "Fit in" and with all the other stuff I did I wanted the frame to be super strong for when the sled is back there. (If it ever is.)
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #4
watahyahknow

the idea i had would use two frames
take both of the frames a part untill you left with the long pieces
cut about an inch off those lengthwize then use the leftside of one frame and weld it to the right side so you get a boxshape about the same width as the original frame
then i would prolly make some holes and wel in small pipes across the bolholes needed to be able to bolt anything to it
and make new crossmembers that will fit to the outside of that box

as long as the original frame goes straight back to front it could be done and it prolly keeps some of the original flex too

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
ryanroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
the idea i had would use two frames
take both of the frames a part untill you left with the long pieces
cut about an inch off those lengthwize then use the leftside of one frame and weld it to the right side so you get a boxshape about the same width as the original frame
then i would prolly make some holes and wel in small pipes across the bolholes needed to be able to bolt anything to it
and make new crossmembers that will fit to the outside of that box

as long as the original frame goes straight back to front it could be done and it prolly keeps some of the original flex too
that would add a lot of extra material where it is not needed in the flanges of the frame rail. not to mention there are features on the right frame rail that are not there on the left and visa versa. the rails wouldnt match up. it also provides a nice place for dust and moisture to live and start the rust monster in between the flangse of the rails. for the grand total of probably 100 bucks in material i was able to box mine in front to back 100%. there is still a token amount of frame flex as it is pretty much impossible to remove it totally, especially when there is the weight of a cummins on it. but, there is 0 benefit to frame flex, so having less is a good thing.

it isnt necessary of course. the frame will hold a cummins just fine. under 98% of average driving situations for a truck being used normally, i.e. street and pulling trailers/hauling loads, a stock frame in good shape will perform just fine.

i chose to box mine, and did my best to goad ryan into boxing his because as i said, no frame flex is the best. it leads to a better handling better riding and all around better performing vehicle in any situation. toss in the fact that i am going to be in the neighborhood of 500HP and hopefully more one day, and ryan will be able to make 800ish with the amount of air he can move, and those numbers are both going to be around 1000ft/lbs and more, that is a lot of twisting power for the frame to deal with... especially if it is strapped to a sled or a heavy trailer.

ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Str8-6-68

Damn Ryan, That looks sweet man. its came a long way, and lookd killer! good job man. I envy you.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8-6-68 View Post
Damn Ryan, That looks sweet man. its came a long way, and lookd killer! good job man. I envy you.
Thanks man. How's your coming?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
mknittle

I need to get the frame done on my 52 frame so I can get restarted on my 72. My daily driver (donor) dodge body is Such a POS I absolutely hate it. The body is pretty straight so since I decided to use the Chevy frame. all I need from the dodge is the engine and rear end. maybe I can get some parts money out of the old body and frame. I has potential for a first gen Dodge guy.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
I need to get the frame done on my 52 frame so I can get restarted on my 72. My daily driver (donor) dodge body is Such a POS I absolutely hate it. The body is pretty straight so since I decided to use the Chevy frame. all I need from the dodge is the engine and rear end. maybe I can get some parts money out of the old body and frame. I has potential for a first gen Dodge guy.
Yeah, there's always something to do first. I know that all too well. We're saving up to buy a house, so I've been selling extra stuff I have so I can try to get all the vehicles I have movable on their own. Hopefully I can get most of them this way before winter, and then the big saving for the house comes, and less vehicle parts purchasing. The only one I plan to continue to buy parts for is my Dad's 68 GS400.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Cool Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Gonna put a 6B in that Buick too?
Posted via Mobile Device

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
6lcummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
Gonna put a 6B in that Buick too?
Posted via Mobile Device
I think our dad would murder us if we did...
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #12
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

haha! I'd love to see some pictures. stock sleeper or hot rod?

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
watahyahknow

stock engine with better headgaskets and a vortec on low boost with a carb box setup should do the trick , eazy to return to stock again too

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 07-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
6lcummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
stock engine with better headgaskets and a vortec on low boost with a carb box setup should do the trick , eazy to return to stock again too
Wonder if that will bolt to a 455 Buick....
6lcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
gerfunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6lcummins View Post
Wonder if that will bolt to a 455 Buick....
Knowing you guy's fear for adding turbos to make fast go faster, how about a 455 twin turbo setup?

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
watahyahknow

there was a guy on the turoforum a while back that had bolted 4 dieselturbo's of chevy diesels on a big block fury it whent like stink and ecause the turbos wherent quite new you could hear them spool up one after another during the launch
http://youtu.be/tflCsMyJR50

Old 07-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Yeah, you guys aren't helping.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #18
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

No real progress on this truck. It has an oil leak behind the injection pump. I started it up Friday to find the leak. Yeah, I found it. A tappet cover bolt has backed out and oil is running out of the threads. The govonor housing on the injection pump is leaking too. I'll be swapping a 180 pump on it anyway soon. Also noticed a big ol mouse nest in the bell housing. SOB! I tried getting it out with no luck. Going to have to pull the trans. While I'm in there I have to check the rear main seal as it appears to be seeping, but can't tell if it's run off from the tappet cover or not. I've made a list of stuff to do because I'm taking it to the All Truck Nats September 6th in KC.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #19
v-man

Thumbs up Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Your truck is looking awesome, iv'e been checking your thread all along. Wanted to let you know that I took the V-rig to Nashville pulling a 16ft H&H enclosed trailer loaded. That Burb is bad ass and everything you did has turned out to real solid. The truck is working out great. I cant fill it up without someone asking about it. Thanks again Keep up the good work.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #20
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Your truck is looking awesome, iv'e been checking your thread all along. Wanted to let you know that I took the V-rig to Nashville pulling a 16ft H&H enclosed trailer loaded. That Burb is bad ass and everything you did has turned out to real solid. The truck is working out great. I cant fill it up without someone asking about it. Thanks again Keep up the good work.
Tony, that's awesome to hear! Thanks.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #21
gerfunken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
No real progress on this truck. It has an oil leak behind the injection pump. I started it up Friday to find the leak. Yeah, I found it. A tappet cover bolt has backed out and oil is running out of the threads. The govonor housing on the injection pump is leaking too. I'll be swapping a 180 pump on it anyway soon. Also noticed a big ol mouse nest in the bell housing. SOB! I tried getting it out with no luck. Going to have to pull the trans. While I'm in there I have to check the rear main seal as it appears to be seeping, but can't tell if it's run off from the tappet cover or not. I've made a list of stuff to do because I'm taking it to the All Truck Nats September 6th in KC.
Sometimes other things are important as well... we all know that life happens, which seems to be why our projects seem to go on for quite a while. It's always somewhat frustrating when you've checked something off the list only to find out later that you need to add it back on the list to do it again. But, on a good note, you've gotten some fun out of the truck.

And, on an absolutely fabulous note, it no longer looks like this:

1972 Chevy K20
Picture Gallery
Build Thread

1930 Chevy AD
Picture Gallery

1929 Ford Model-A
Picture Gallery

1975 Triumph TR-6
Picture Gallery
gerfunken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerfunken View Post
Sometimes other things are important as well... we all know that life happens, which seems to be why our projects seem to go on for quite a while. It's always somewhat frustrating when you've checked something off the list only to find out later that you need to add it back on the list to do it again. But, on a good note, you've gotten some fun out of the truck.

And, on an absolutely fabulous note, it no longer looks like this:
Very true Scott. It has came a long way for sure.
1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I guess I can post these pics. My Dad got tired of looking at my dull wheels and polished them a few weeks ago.

1969 Chevy milk truck

Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
mknittle

Truck is looking real nice Ryan.

would you happen to know where I might find a first gen clutch fork?
I have looked high and low with no luck.
It's the shts how such a simple part can hang a guy up.

I may try to fab one if I can't find one

My GMC build.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #25
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Truck is looking real nice Ryan.

would you happen to know where I might find a first gen clutch fork?
I have looked high and low with no luck.
It's the shts how such a simple part can hang a guy up.

I may try to fab one if I can't find one
I found one today at a little all dodge wrecking yard about 20 miles from home.it needs to be built up a bit where the forks contact the throw out bearing but otherwise appears to be in good condition.

My GMC build.

Last edited by mknittle; 08-11-2013 at 12:48 AM.