The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #1701
watahyahknow

Re: '66 Sunbeam Minx Project - F20C/6sp/4-link/Discs...

i think thats a better option , as long as you either make those in stainless or zinkplate them

maibe pushbuttons will work too

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #1702
sparkydog

How about buying "cup washers" (without the rivet) and then use a rivet to attach it?

http://www.hkmetalcraft.com/Products...1-5800CP.shtml
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:09 PM   #1703
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Wow, very nice work on the speaker
Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Do you have one of these rivets? I could probably make the business end of these on the cnc lathe if I had a sample to revers engineer. Then you could just put a standard rivet shaft in it. Just a thought.
That's a very nice offer mcbassin. I doubt you'd want to make 100 of these little things. They are 8mm dia. New ones in stainless would be ideal. Let's talk via PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
maibe pushbuttons will work too
Thanks for the idea. They'ed have to be ~7.9-8.1mm diameter and couldn't have a shoulder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkydog View Post
How about buying "cup washers" (without the rivet) and then use a rivet to attach it?
I looked at cup washers. So far I haven't found one with the right size/shape.

Some good news though. I was able to recover ~50 of these things out of the dirt/debris in front of the shop with a magnet wand and compressed air... It was kinda fun

Then I checked the spare fenders/doors I pulled from that parts Minx and found that they have a different style clip. Like this:

So worst case scenario I can restore all the originals clips from the two cars and I'm covered.

New stainless is sounding better and better...
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #1704
watahyahknow

maibe you can find them small enough and mount them backwarths so the shoulder becomes the edge holding the trim on

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #1706
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
Just sayin...

I've never used it for trim. Can't imagine it would hold very well on the two thin edges of the moulding..? I know guys use it, but I figured it would only work where you have a flat back on the moulding. Am I missing something?
Old 07-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #1707
watahyahknow

those clips are prolly only mounted in the doors because you can schrew intoo them from the back of the plating
if you going to use those it prolly be a better idea to use plastic holdingrivets you can push intoo the holes one way

hmmm maibe you dont need those plate things after all

bmw had plastic holders for the moulding you click them intoo them the kinda slide them where they need to be on the holes and push them ontoo thye car
you might be able to get those out of a pick and pull yard but with the heat and stuff in the states they prolly break in a thousand pieces
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/227s-Parts/...4.l1513&_pgn=1

trim mounting for caddilac
i suggest you take a piece of the moulding to the wreckersyard and just see wat might fit it

Old 07-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #1708
NONHOG

Big issue IMO would be finding a rivet size base that has the right 8mm head.
Plastic sure would last well. I can look at work(Toyota) FF. If your interested.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #1709
Frizzle Fry

Good stuff guys. Yeh, Nonhog if you come across something ~8mm I'd be interested.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #1710
NONHOG

I'll take a peak. (Monday of course)
Old 07-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #1711
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
those clips are prolly only mounted in the doors because you can schrew intoo them from the back of the plating
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/227s-Parts/...4.l1513&_pgn=1
They are all riveted on the same way, both the "buttons" and the clips.

Just checked out that ebay link. With that many options there must be one there that will work. I did find some terminology there (fir-tree) that lead me to another site with a few possibilities:

-and-

-and-

I actually might just order some to see what works...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
I'll take a peak. (Monday of course)
As long as it's not Tuesday
Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #1712
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
I've never used it for trim. Can't imagine it would hold very well on the two thin edges of the moulding..? I know guys use it, but I figured it would only work where you have a flat back on the moulding. Am I missing something?
This works great on moldings and trim with flat surfaces. It's the same stuff the trim on a square body is held on with from GM. Not too sure how good it would hold your trim?
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #1713
watahyahknow

it doesnt need to hold a lot the holdingthingies are spaced about 5 inch or so apart and the trim isnt that heavy or catching a lot of wind when driving
as long as you dont try to use the trim as a step to climb intoo the car or hit sumtin with it it should hold fine

Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #1714
dammitmitchell
the pollock

hey i have bags and bags of cherry maxx rivets if you want them..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #1715
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitmitchell View Post
hey i have bags and bags of cherry maxx rivets if you want them..
It's not structural trim Do you build airplanes?
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #1716
theastronaut

Quote:
Doh! Wasn't thinking that the trim was hollow and used clips... Maybe fill the back of the trim everywhere that there is a trim hole in the body, so that the tape has a flat spot to stick to and the tape would seal the trim holes in the body?
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #1717
watahyahknow

if you can reach the holes from the rear you could make small sheelmetal squares that slide intoo the trim with a little hole in the middle then poprivit them from the inside of the sheetmetal
make the squares out of springmetal and you might even be able to bend them in a little and slide the trim over it
it prolly wil rust over time through

Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #1718
dammitmitchell
the pollock

yeap im an AnP i also have the dress buttons (stanless) for dash trim.
not the style for securing interior dressings (like shown above) but the style that sits flat and hides the cracks in everything.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #1719
Frizzle Fry

Ordered some of these:

We'll see if they work. Sure would be a lot cheaper, lighter, and more rust resistant that the originals.

Been working on the seats for nearly two weeks now. Almost done. In keeping with tradition ...they were not bolt-in
Old 08-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #1720
Kristian j

Hello
I have followed your Hillman projekt and I am as impressed as everyone else. Yes, I call the car an Hillman because that is what it is called in Europe. The two-door sporty model is the Sunbeam Rapier.
I am impressed that you put so much work in the car even if you are not (I guess) an Hillman/Sunbeam fanatic. You have found a very good example to work on. We seldom find examples in such good condition in Europe.
I have seen the YouTube film and it's just one thing! In my opininon your wheel are a little bit to much "bling-bling". On a bolevard cruiser OK, but this car has transformed into a little racer.

I have of cource similar cars. Two Minxes and one Sunbeam Rapier.

Kristian J
Sweden
Kristian j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #1721
Frizzle Fry

Thanks for chiming in all the way from Sweden Kristian. Would love to see your cars if you can post some pics?

Funny games the manufacturers played (and still play) with car names. We have Sunbeam Imps here as well .

As for the wheels; they are only 17" yet do look large on this small body. The originals were only 13" (as you know). 17" is a reasonable performance size. The new 991 GT3 has 20" wheels.

If they are too polished for you, fear not; I have plans of making 17" steel wheels which will accept the original hubcaps (can't be any smaller due to the S2000 brakes). They will be installed, along with the original seats, on occasion for the true sleeper affect.

Speaking of seats. Here's a teaser of the new ones. I have been working on these for two weeks now... Almost done!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:13 PM   #1722
watahyahknow

Peugeot VW BMW Volvo make steel rims in 17 inch
maibe if you do a search theres one ready made with the right boltcircle for youre car
to get the hubcaps to fit you only need to weld 3 bolts to the rim in the correct circle so the caps can click on

Old 08-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #1723
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Peugeot VW BMW Volvo make steel rims in 17 inch
maibe if you do a search theres one ready made with the right boltcircle for youre car
to get the hubcaps to fit you only need to weld 3 bolts to the rim in the correct circle so the caps can click on
That's roughly the plan. Probably a Ford (5x4.5/114.3mm bolt pattern).
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM   #1724
aussiejohn

Frizzle,

Great job, I have followed it from page 1 once I found it. In Australia, the Rootes Group imported the Hillman range and there was the Husky, Californian, Minx and Imp, all with "Hillman" preceding them. Rootes also imported the French Simca range of cars and were allied with Chrysler in some way.

We also had the Sunbeam Rapier but no Sunbeam Minxes. We had the Sunbeam Alpine, a four cylinder sports car, along with a few Sunbeam Tigers, many of which are still around although I suspect that many have had the 260 V8 replaced by a 289 or 302 Windsor.

All of the above cars were factory built right hand drive, to suit our requirements for driving on the left side of the road. This makes it interesting driving my 1974 Corvettes because of the poor vision when pulling out from the (left) kerb into traffic. My '67 GMC is a lot easier due to the higher seating position, bigger back window and the pure size of it compared to most cars on the road here. Intimidation works for me!

Keep up the great work, it's quite inspiring, but I can't imagine that I'd ever have the skills to match your effort.

Regards from Down Under.
aussiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #1725
Kristian j

Smile Re: '66 Sunbeam Minx Project - F20C/6sp/4-link/Discs...

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in all the way from Sweden Kristian. Would love to see your cars if you can post some pics?

Funny games the manufacturers played (and still play) with car names. We have Sunbeam Imps here as well

As for the wheels; they are only 17" yet do look large on this small body. The originals were only 13" (as you know). 17" is a reasonable performance size. The new 991 GT3 has 20" wheels.

If they are too polished for you, fear not; I have plans of making 17" steel wheels which will accept the original hubcaps (can't be any smaller due to the S2000 brakes). They will be installed, along with the original seats, on occasion for the true sleeper affect.
Hi
Here is a picture of my Minx.

Yes, the 13 inch looks a bit "lost" The body was orginailly designed for 15 inch wheels, then came the fat tires in the sixties so they went down to 13 inch. For my other Minx I will have the classic "Minilite" wheel, maybe 15 inch.
I know that the whole world has gone crazy with very big wheel och very little rubber, so cars looks like they are running on bicykle wheels, But I will stay put! :-)

The other picture of the Historic racing car is not my Rapier (I wish it was!!) I think is has 15 inch wheels. My Rapier looks similar (the bad picture)

Well, now you know the difference between a Hillman Minx and a Sunbeam Rapier! :-)
Kristian j is offline   Reply With Quote