The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #151
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Project NOT4SLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschevy View Post
i need to try and get a measurement of the distance between both front frame rails on the top edge to edge
Just went out and measured mine....I get 26" from center to center of the top boltholes for the small "L" brackets and about 25 3/4" center to center for the bottom holes on the frame horns....does that make sense?

Hope it helps.....by the way, my frame was bent and I had to have it straightened after I hd it together!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #152
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

I measured the bumper and the holes on top are 26 3/4" apart and on bottom I think they are 26"

My truck measures 25 3/4" and the bottom holes measure 25"

so the frame needs to be moved out on the passenger side...

can anyone take a inside rail edge to inside rail edge just behind the rad support mounts? I want to see if this varies on my truck as well..

also any suggestions on moving this rail back? i need to move it outwards and rotate it counter clockwise just a hair about 3/4" or so.
vegaschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #153
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Just went out and measured mine....I get 26" from center to center of the top boltholes for the small "L" brackets and about 25 3/4" center to center for the bottom holes on the frame horns....does that make sense?

Hope it helps.....by the way, my frame was bent and I had to have it straightened after I hd it together!!!
THank you for the measurements... helped a ton to get a baseline. I think the 1/4" difference wont matter but the 3/4" - 1" difference really makes it way off. The holes on my frame are not perfectly round anyways, so Ill have a little adjustment.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #154
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaschevy View Post
can anyone take a inside rail edge to inside rail edge just behind the rad support mounts? I want to see if this varies on my truck as well..

also any suggestions on moving this rail back? i need to move it outwards and rotate it counter clockwise just a hair about 3/4" or so.
Inside rail to inside rail on the top of the frame just infront of the rad support on the bumper side is approximately 24"....

Maybe a little heat and a BFH might be helpful to get it right?!?!?

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:41 PM   #155
Clearwaterfire

What is all the writing on the fire wall? Ive noticed some other trucks with similar markings.
Clearwaterfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 PM   #156
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Inside rail to inside rail on the top of the frame just infront of the rad support on the bumper side is approximately 24"....

Maybe a little heat and a BFH might be helpful to get it right?!?!?
I have 23 3/4" so once pulled back it will probably show perfect
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #157
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

I got my rear end diff fluid changed finally today. I bought the gasket when I purchased the truck 3 months ago

Of course I acid washed the bolts while they were off and got some dirt and grime cleaned up around the cover surface. First time I was really under the truck. Cannot wait to get some of it cleaned up and painted when I do my suspension. Il def get the rear end and some other stuff done...

The pic makes this look way nasty but it is all ust surface rust and oddly enough alot of the rust is baked on dirt and if you scrape the dirt off I can find a black paint below the rustic looking dirt!

This is what I looked like after laying on the ground and having the best Girlfriend in the world she still wants a hug and kiss when she got home from her office job..

Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #158
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

The bottom of your truck doesn't look that bad dude!!

And that's no wimpy surface rust either dude. It's the real deal!!!
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #159
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
The bottom of your truck doesn't look that bad dude!!

And that's no wimpy surface rust either dude. It's the real deal!!!
Old 11-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #160
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

I have not had much time to do much lately between working hunting and what not.

i hunted from Nov 6th through the 12th so I was gone. The week before I got no days off as I moved them to the end of the week to go hunting, and then the same thing when I came back I moved them to the beginning of the week so I lost no days of work.
Finally getting a day off now and trying to get everything in order for when I get time to take the bed off the truck and get some suspension stuff installed.

I bought all the bolts I think I will need for my Porterbuilt crossmember install, and bolts to install my C notch. I also purchased new inner and outer tie rods, adjuster sleeves and lower ball joints. All Moog units...
I actually bought all my stuff got home and one inner tie rod was chinese. So somewhere some time someone returned crappy chinese parts in Moog boxes to get Moog units cheap. no one caught it at Checkers.

So I have quite a bit of stuff to do but need the time to get it done.

I am also going to purchase new body mount bolts and rubber mounts as well as bed pads for when I tear it down for a week. Ill install my suspension and steering components at the same time. I will also clean my calipers and check their condition as well.
I am buying new wheel bearings and seals to add to the spindles when I tear it down.
When I tear it down ill powdercoat the control arms and get the bushings pressed in the lowers and clean the frame gunk off and around everything. HAHAHA
The way I see it driving wise the steering and suspension will all be brand new.
I also have a new front bumper that will be installed as well as bumper brackets. I have to get the frame bend out and aligned a bit as it is about 3/4" bent in on one of the frame horns in the front.
Once all this is done hopefully before Christmas Ill be doing the wheels and tires. Then it will be on to 67 front fenders, cowl hood, 67 core support and grill and new inner fenders as well. Then the truck will actually take on a nice look to it instead of the crappy look it is now.... HAHAHA

Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #161
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Wow, don't get over do it there brother!

Looks like alot of fun. It's getting cold outside here. You still have enough good weather to stick with it over there?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #162
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:

Looks like alot of fun. It's getting cold outside here. You still have enough good weather to stick with it over there?
it actually does get cold here. we dont get snow cause we have no such thing as moisture here

it will be a bit chilly in the next few weeks and even more so for a couple months after that, but hopefully i can get it done before the end of the year.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM   #163
joe231

Quote:

Travis, are you hitting the bottle early today
Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #164
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post

Travis, are you hitting the bottle early today
No, I gave that up when they said that Nitrous was bad for your nasal passages................

I'm just sayin.....................
Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #165
SCOTTMO
powdercoater

Did you have snail motorsports do your powder coating ?
I think i refered them to you long time ago
Old 11-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #166
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTMO View Post
Did you have snail motorsports do your powder coating ?
I think i refered them to you long time ago
no, It was a gate place needing side work
Old 11-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #167
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Got my shipping conformation for my Radiator Delivery. It should be here on Tuesday.
My radiator barely dripped any antifreeze when I first started running it. but after about a week the hole must have stretched out a bit and it went to a cup every 50 miles or so. Well now it is up to a bunch more!!!!
I had emailed the seller engineered-products a few times, then got caught hunting but finally got the radiator ordered and on its way. In the meantime two other members also ordered the radiator. I think they are not even close to mount it up so I will be the first to see if it fits with the smaller radiator mounts or if we will need the 4 core mounts and what modifications might be needed to make this thing work in our c10.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:51 PM   #168
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Awaiting pics. LOL
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:17 PM   #169
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Ship it to my house and I'll let you know how well it fits in the truck.

And dude........... HOW MUCH??????
Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #170
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ship it to my house and I'll let you know how well it fits in the truck.

And dude........... HOW MUCH??????
$230 shipped to my door
Old 11-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #171
Rokcrln

You sure have one great pile of parts stacking up. Their is a cure for that called INSTALLATION fallowed by many pics!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #172
CheyenneShop

WOW, your parts pile looks like my Christmas list. Love what your doing with this build, can't wait to see how she looks with all those parts installed.

How did your hunting go?
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #173
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Hunting went really good, we went 4 for 4 between all of us.

The parts pile is getting completed. in fact I believe it is almost complete. I wanted to be sure I had everything to do the suspension in a few days.

The plan is to pull the front end apart, send the control arms off to the powder coater to be blasted and powder coated. Pull the wheel bearings and run to the bearing house and get the Timkin replacement bearings. Get the front cleaned up and some paint or something on the frame. then get the bed off and get the rear completed. When the rear is done Ill be installing new bed pads for the bed to sit on.
Then the front should be ready to be reinstalled.

I should be getting to it next week or the following week. Once completed all the steering and suspension will be brand new! should drive pretty good.

I am thinking I want to find a sway bar for the front to also install at the same time.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #174
CheyenneShop

Congrats on the hunts

I would recommend the sway bar too - I know ECE has a good one.

I'm curious, did you talk to Nate about going airbags, with just a schrader valve? This way you will have your bags in place and really you can set your ride height to where ever you want it? The only reason I ask is cause I was up there the other day and he mentioned it, regarding one of my trucks and it made a lot of sense!

Either way love your ride!

Ronnie
68 C/10 shorty - "Picacho" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428379 sold to "93redsled"

Have you heard about C10 Talk? C10 Talk is a podcast all about C10 Trucks, the builders, the vendors, and most importantly the C10 Community. Check us out online at www.c10talk.com
CheyenneShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 AM   #175
vegaschevy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCheyenneShop View Post
Congrats on the hunts

I would recommend the sway bar too - I know ECE has a good one.

I'm curious, did you talk to Nate about going airbags, with just a schrader valve? This way you will have your bags in place and really you can set your ride height to where ever you want it? The only reason I ask is cause I was up there the other day and he mentioned it, regarding one of my trucks and it made a lot of sense!

Either way love your ride!

Ronnie
I did not, I have had it cross my mind from time to time recently though.

I want a muscle car look though, 8.5 front 10" wide rear. Dont know how that would work with airbags.

I figured I would lower it a bit, keep the nice muscle stance with it a little lower! However, airbags are TOTALLY GREEK to me. Maybe someone else can help with some info!

I did talk to him about a second truck and chassis I want to do. 4 link, dropmember etc. LOL