The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #151
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Project Little Black Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
BBT is too nicey nicey for that!
Really?
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #152
Low Elco

Point taken, I'm hip, BBT also has a flat hard tonneau. LBT is worth having just for not having the tonno, but the hard tonno is terrific to have 99.5% of the time.

I have a pic somewhere of my show-worthy El Camino loaded to the bumpstops with broken concrete. I ain't skeered.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #153
mcbassin
Still Learning

You guys kill me with your fancy smancy brush haulers.....
I usually just use my trailer when the tornados come to town.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #154
Low Elco

Talk about fancy- you have a trailer!

PS- Originally from 4 miles north of Wichita, KS. I tell everybody up here, Tornado siren means "go outside, the show's fixin' ta start!" How far were you from the deal this spring? That was Bad Nasty even by OK standards.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #155
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Just ribbing ya. I use my truck cuz its the only 1 I got. If I had something lower on the beauty scale I'd use it instead too.

And I ain't smart enough to get a trailer (Why? I got a truck!). 'Cept for hauling the boat. Which I suppose I could fill with leaves and branches in a pinch.

I read your comments about laying off on the projects for a while with the less than perfect circumstances around you. When I went through lean times (most of my adult life it seems) and I got to hankering for some project time that wasn't house "honey do list" stuff, I would dig through the parts pile that was already accumulated and find something to play with for the time being. I had to quell the "Might as well" issue hard and fast, but when you don't have much to play with, that task is easier to handle.

Just don't get stuck watching the boob tube all winter. That crap will rot your brain. Go to a hockey game instead and concuss your brain.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #156
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:

PS- Originally from 4 miles north of Wichita, KS. I tell everybody up here, Tornado siren means "go outside, the show's fixin' ta start!" How far were you from the deal this spring? That was Bad Nasty even by OK standards.
Where from?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #157
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Just ribbing ya. I use my truck cuz its the only 1 I got. If I had something lower on the beauty scale I'd use it instead too.

And I ain't smart enough to get a trailer (Why? I got a truck!). 'Cept for hauling the boat. Which I suppose I could fill with leaves and branches in a pinch.

I read your comments about laying off on the projects for a while with the less than perfect circumstances around you. When I went through lean times (most of my adult life it seems) and I got to hankering for some project time that wasn't house "honey do list" stuff, I would dig through the parts pile that was already accumulated and find something to play with for the time being. I had to quell the "Might as well" issue hard and fast, but when you don't have much to play with, that task is easier to handle.

Just don't get stuck watching the boob tube all winter. That crap will rot your brain. Go to a hockey game instead and concuss your brain.
I know, no worries. I have a little 6x8 trailer for hauling the bikes and assorted crap. I used to ridicule the guys that had the little trailers behind a crew cab pickup. Then I got one. It's so much easier to just grab the trailer, especially with the tonno on.

I don't mean to be crying about our situation. I'm not out a nickel so far, in fact I've been working A bunch of OT, and laying that back, and still need to get paid from the little blue car. So, for once in my (far from wealthy) life, all I need to do is pick up the phone and get the ball rollin. Temptation rears its ugly head! But we ain't out of the woods yet. They voted the union in, so we gotta get a contract done. Who knows how that's gonna go. Gah. Then the Gov't's gonna spaz again in Jan. And I keep thinkin', "you're gonna wish you had that dough when it all goes in the crapper." Hopefully late spring next year we'll be out of the woods, at least for a while.

I've been on the couch for a couple of weeks, just trying to get over this lingering crud. Momma and I both have it, can't seem to quit coughing. Had great weather Sat, so we got Yella out here and swapped in the thicker intake gaskets. So, I haven't been a complete deadass. I have a lot of shop updating and house stuff to catch up on, Neighbor Jay bought a mini sprint car I've been helping on, and A co-worker bought a Chevelle and has point blank told me I'm doing the quarters on it next spring, and he's using his tax return to do have me do it. There's plenty on the horizon. I can't sit still very long.

Thanks for the kick in the butt, though. I really need to get moving.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #158
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Where from?
Valley Center, KS. Straight North of Wichita. Dead in the middle between Wichita international Raceway and 81 Speedway. Sounds fantastic on a Summer Saturday Night. Have friends that still live in the same hood, which has become a Motorsports oriented 'hood, literally. Dead flat, 1.0-1.2 acre lots, almost all have a garage to a full on barn behind them and damn near everyone is hardcore into some kinda wheels and motor bidness. It's a great place.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #159
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I know right where Valley Center is; one of my Dad's best friends lives there now. I am originally from Great Bend. I grew up in the country on 7 acres, and cultivated my love of square bodies as I had ample place to put them. I would love my kids to have the same type of place to grow up, but Mama has other ideas.

Everyone gets in a funk now and then. Don't let it get you down too much. If you do get shut out in January, hop a Southwest flight and come hang out for a spell. Hopefully there will be some forward motion on my crew, come get some.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #160
Low Elco

Well, if you've been there, I grew up at 53rd and Meridian, right on the north side of the Wichita line. Went to school in Valley '79-'85.

Dude, I'd kill for 7 acres. Flyin Ryan has 4.5 acres about 10 minutes from my house that's got a couple square bodies hidden on it, and it's awesome. Momma and I start talking about moving every time we go out there. We bought our house just before the crash, though, and through no fault of our own, we'll NEVER get out from under it.

Momma and I spent the night on the Richardson-Allen line in Aug. when we went to get BBT, I almost called you. But, I didn't know where or when I'd be there, and I didn't wanna jam anyone up, and I know I hate short notice. The Hilton Garden Inn on 75 is nice, though. Y'all be shoppin'! Never seen anything like it. Seems nice! If I went down there, I'd be talkin' you out of that crew, I've been wanting one forever. Kinda like your deal, you've just gotta make the leap!

Thanks to all for the kind words. I'm not really in a funk, just backed into a bit of a corner. I'll get out, I've just gotta be patient and shake off all this responsible adult crap. Flyin' Ryan is trying to talk me into a '65 SWB that's around the corner from him, and The Kid wants LBT for his first truck. I have no shortage of bad influences!
Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #161
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I loved growing up with all of that land. I grew up living with my uncle from my freshman year through HS. He was single, and pretty much left me to my own devices. I also had access to a flat bed and had his signature down pat. All of that conspired to have me end up with my own little junkyard. That kind of got curtailed when we got an aerial photo of the place and you could count about 60 cars (not including what was stashed in barns and outbuildings). D'oh! When I figured out how to paint and get paid, I lost a lot of interest in school.

I did have a collection of Blazers that came in handy when the county purchased a few surplus military Blazers. I stayed out of trouble, and they had a parts stash. Win-win.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #162
Low Elco

That had to have been fantastic. We moved to KC in a controlled 'hood befor I got to that age. I'd have been off to the races with that much rope!
Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #163
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:

I lost about a 100 trees and had to get a new roof on the May 19th storm 1/2 mile south of me most homes were destroyed. When we hear sirens it's too late better be under ground. I watched that one track from about half mile away. We were headed to the inlaws shelter.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #164
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I lost about a 100 trees and had to get a new roof on the May 19th storm 1/2 mile south of me most homes were destroyed. When we hear sirens it's too late better be under ground. I watched that one track from about half mile away. We were headed to the inlaws shelter.
Shooo-wee! Glad you got off light, as it were. Y'all have getting a beating lately. Glad you came through ok.

Last edited by Low Elco; 11-13-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Long-winded jerk post-fixed it
Old 11-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #165
Low Elco

Now that I've figured pics out, here's proof the 'ol crate is still alive!

Broke it out and ran around in it this weekend!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #166
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Now that I've figured pics out, here's proof the 'ol crate is still alive!

Broke it out and ran around in it this weekend!
Doing work! Nice
Old 12-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #167
Low Elco

Well, I had some questions about what was going on around here. Well-

Yeller is running, it was fixed, now Boppa says the surging is back. I'm thinking the heads are it, then again it could be the intake itself. Boppa sez, screw it, it runs fine until it gets warmer.

I am hoping to get BBT dropped in the Spring.

Not sure what's gonna happen to LBT, but the boys both want it. Something will happen, I'm sure. Not a lot of time for it, because-

I've only been off three days since Thanksgiving, and-

We got snow, so we had to play- this is at Flyin' Ryan's.

Poor LBT, It's literally under 1/4" of ice and snow.

Fear not, we dug him out and put him to work- Yes, we ran out to FR's that socked in, ice literally too hard to scrape!

Note new big-ass hole in truck bux. Note also big kid stoked for little kid.

Think he liked it?

We trail ride now, but the little one is ate up with racing motocross. So, we're gonna give it a shot. Here's the garage now- they're in 'cuz they're waterpumpers, and it's gonna get silly cold.

And, Mr. Tater got outfitted today. We're pretty stoked for spring.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #168
zook

Spring? we got a ways to go. It's 13° in o.p. right now. With you on spring can't come soon enough!
zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #169
Low Elco

AAAAA-men!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #170
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks like Santa was the man this year KTM
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #171
jlsanborn

You rock Dad! You're only short one more bike. I'd sure like to get me one of them Katoom or Husaberg 300's... Just sayin!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #172
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Looks like a stoked little dude right there!
Old 12-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #173
Vic1947

Quote:
This is a cool ole square body. I love these trucks. They are the best driving of the c-10s in my opinion.
I agree. I had an 87 with an EFI 350 that ran much better than the early 80's versions. Blacked out the running lights and trim, put on a set of Moon discs and installed a thumping stereo. Eventually, I sold it to some young guys and when they returned from a test drive, you could hear it coming a block away.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #174
Low Elco

Quote:
Looks like Santa was the man this year KTM
Don't be too impressed- it's a lightly used, very well maintained 2004. It'll be great for what we need it for. Kinda like most of my junk- old, but well maintained and shiny.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #175
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
You rock Dad! You're only short one more bike. I'd sure like to get me one of them Katoom or Husaberg 300's... Just sayin!
Thanks! Actually, if I got one for me, it'd be an old XR200/300. I still do a fair bit of kid chasin'. Several of us adults have brought up the idea of an all adult ride, so we could relax and have fun. But I'd feel terrible not taking the boys. Gah.