The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2007, 10:51 PM   #151
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Well today I got tilted! If you want to add a van tilt column to your truck than read this thread first http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=147927 because that is what I did last night before starting mine today. I also read this one http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=191143 and followed it for shortening the column at the same time. It is so nice haveing a few inches more (yea go ahead and say it!) with a stock bench seat. After reading these two threads you will be able to follow my build today.

The main thing I did different with mine was I keeped the truck P/N safty switch so I did not have to re-wire anything plus I think it is much easier and cleaner then trying to cut a small slot down inside a tube with out the right tools. So what I did was bent a small piece of sheet metal (after trying to cut a slot with out the right tools) that will act like the stock truck column to operate the P/N safty switch. I also only moved my P/N switch about 4" since I pushed the column forward a few inches. But other than those mod's I followed the above threads and it all worked out great.

I included a few pics so you can see the differents in length of a van tilt (black) and a stock truck column (tan). Also you will see the different mounting slots and the different P/N switches.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-28-2007 at 10:54 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #152
Rokcrln

Here are the rest of the column pics. Sorry I did not get more or better pics of the tab I made but once you pull off your P/N switch from your truck column you will see what needs to be done.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #153
Rokcrln

Well in a wierd change of events I was able to get my old bench seat back from a guy here in town so my interior is just about done. I also pulled off the GMC tailgate plate in hopes I would find a chevy gate under it but no luck I want to replace the GMC with LFD so now I need to figure out a way to press some letters that I can graft into the gate. Any ideas! I want the same style of letters as stock so nothing fancy.

So I spent $75.00 for the column and a bout 8hrs doing the swap and finishing up the interior work that I started a few days ago.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Build total $967.64
And 43hrs
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-28-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #154
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Cutting a "L" from a chevy tailgate, a "F" from a ford, and a "D" from a dodge and grafting them together would be more unique.

looks like some good progress man. Wish my truck was here so i could keep working on it whenever i had time.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 PM   #155
hotrodhomi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
Well in a wierd change of events I was able to get my old bench seat back from a guy here in town so my interior is just about done.
Congrats, on the seat find. Does these mean your other seats are available? Good luck with the tailgate stamping. That will look really cool.
Brandon
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #156
Rokcrln

No I'm holding onto the seats for now because they may still go in but for now the bench will work and be safe and let me focus on other things that need to get done. But if they are not needed they will head your way (but don't wait up for them ).

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-28-2007 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #157
Crank

The only thing I can think of for LFD on a tailgate would be find a Chevrolet tailgate and use the 'C' and have to do a little creative editing and make it a 'D' if you turn it backwards, use the stock 'L' off the same gate, as well as use one of the 'E's to make a to make a 'F' if you also do a little modifying to the gate. I'd say thats about your only option because if you go trying to fit different letters off different gates, the fonts or sizes arent going to match up.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #158
Rokcrln

I am looking into having a board member CNC out some letters with the negitives so I can make a small press for the letters I need. I have a 45ton hydro press that I think will do the job if I set up the press plates right.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #159
watahyahknow

greath thread .
keeping an eye on this one

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:00 AM   #160
Luvlegs

Another idea - with all the cool work you are capable of, this might work... cut out some steel letters (simple ones) (double or triple them depending on what you want for relief depth) - tack them onto a sheet, lay your panel over it and "beat" it down over the letters. Grind, sand, prime, paint, grin.

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:13 PM   #161
watahyahknow

it might work if you get the tollerabnces close to perfect you never get the edges the same that way around and it will be a couple of days work to make them crisp enough to work i have seen it done youre way with a chevy bowtie they didnt used a press just 2 big bolt to press the 2 die's with the metal in between together later they welded small plates in the hole t finish ....... the positive/negative CNC die thing he's having made will work best and can be hardened and used often as long as he has them lined up in the press and he be able to use it as a logo on other projects

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 01-29-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:16 PM   #162
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Use a blank t/gate and get someone to paint or sticker your logo. More options that way.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 PM   #163
hotrodhomi

You could air brush it.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #164
Rokcrln

Yes I could air brush, sticker, paint but then it is not me doing it! I like steel and will go that route.

DHL stopped by with a gift for the build from Porterbuilt in Mesa AZ. This is his donation to the project.

Thanks Nate!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM   #165
Rokcrln

Ok this was the true test of how we are doing, I took the wife to the doctors and shopping for food in our "Low buck truck"!
But first we get to the doctors office and as soon as we get out of the truck an older guy stops and asks if it is a 72? I say no it is a 70. He says nice and walks on This is one reason I like old vehicals!

Ok so once we get home I asked for her brutal opinion and her it is.

She likes the overall interior look and feel but really liked the new look of the dash with the cd player and cluster. She thought it ran well and drove nice.

She did not like the exhaust (nor do I) because it is way too loude. Bad headers and stage two flowmasters that dump right under the cab

What she would like to see done is new weather stripping around the doors, new headliner, new exterior trim, lowered a few inches, shorten the bed and make it quieter.

As far as being quieter on the inside I did some more testing with the Bituthane material and it will not be going in the truck. I did some heat tests and it melts way too sone. I know people had mentioned that but I wanted to see it for my self. I have been looking on some other sites about a paint on liner like Lizard skin but way less money. Should be able to do the entire inside of the cab and doors for about $50.00 or you can go with the lizard skin for about $160 or their abouts. Here is a link http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alte...in-103610.html

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 PM   #166
watahyahknow

interesting link the latexpaint is rubber and the glasbeads will make it a puffy and verry dead material you might even get better results using a tube latex kit mixed in with the latex paint to get it thicker so you can aply more in one go

Old 02-06-2007, 08:09 PM   #167
Rokcrln

Well the brown man struck again!
I decided to not show how to build your own hidden hitch after checking into material costs and really thinking if I wanted the liability of knowing if it was not built right and a problem arose that it was my link that started it. So I contacted ECE to find out more about their kit that they sell. It sounded good and complete and for $209.00 I thought it might be the way to go. I went ahead and ordered one and let me tell you it is well worth the $ and then some. I don't know how some of these companys can build this stuff and only charge what they do. I thought at first it might just be a hitch that works on some other vehical that they get cheap and re-sell. But after looking it over and seeing their Logo stamped right into it I knew they definetly had them custom made. Part # is 906-6772BH PU if any one is interested. It comes complete with all needed mounting hardware, Lic. plate flip kit, Reciever hitch and even a plug and play trailer wiring flat 4 plug. Here are a few pics.

It will be installed in the next few weeks because my curent tow vehical is being sold to fund the wifes new mini van I wish my mom had a mini van like this one! 07 chevy TrailBlazer SS 6.0 V8 395HP/400FT TQ

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2007, 08:37 PM   #168
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

that's a pretty sweet mini van
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #169
64shortc10

Hi Rocrln,

I drove past your house on the way to my inlaws and saw that cut up truck on the trailer. I was hoping it had a 5 lug trailing arm rearend under it, but saw it was a 6 lugger. Now that I know that your a member of the site maybe next time I drive by and see your out i'll stop. My mother inlaw suggested my wife and I should have bought your house before it was sold to you. But I didnt want to live so close to the bar. If I would have known it had a shop behind it I would have bought it. I'm gonna sell my house soon in Williams and look for a house in Winters. Theres a nice little white house on Abbey st. that i'm intrested in. You said that you have a 71 that is body dropped? I'll definetly want to see that!

Tony from Norcal.
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:54 PM   #170
agronomya

Can we see some pics of the minivan when ya'll get it.
That hitch does look pretty nice though, pretty impressive. Do you know when you plan to do your door windows (I think you said you planned to)? I am getting ready to do mine and I'd like to see/hear what it's like to go through it.

AA

1969 Chevy LWB-SDPC 350, TH400, old farm truck
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/agronomya/

2006 Nissan Altima-For my 2000 miles a month
agronomya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #171
onetonk5
Cereal Killer

[QUOTE=Rokcrln;2007446]Well in a wierd change of events I was able to get my old bench seat back from a guy here in town so my interior is just about done. I also pulled off the GMC tailgate plate in hopes I would find a chevy gate under it but no luck I want to replace the GMC with LFD so now I need to figure out a way to press some letters that I can graft into the gate. Any ideas! I want the same style of letters as stock so nothing fancy

have you seen the work from pakistan on pirate?
some decent hand fab
onetonk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #172
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortc10 View Post
Hi Rocrln,

I drove past your house on the way to my inlaws and saw that cut up truck on the trailer. I was hoping it had a 5 lug trailing arm rearend under it, but saw it was a 6 lugger. Now that I know that your a member of the site maybe next time I drive by and see your out i'll stop. My mother inlaw suggested my wife and I should have bought your house before it was sold to you. But I didnt want to live so close to the bar. If I would have known it had a shop behind it I would have bought it. I'm gonna sell my house soon in Williams and look for a house in Winters. Theres a nice little white house on Abbey st. that i'm intrested in. You said that you have a 71 that is body dropped? I'll definetly want to see that!

Tony from Norcal.
My wife thinks it's cute that I have my first stocker!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 02-06-2007 at 11:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #173
Rokcrln

[QUOTE=onetonk5;2020565]
Quote:
Well in a wierd change of events I was able to get my old bench seat back from a guy here in town so my interior is just about done. I also pulled off the GMC tailgate plate in hopes I would find a chevy gate under it but no luck I want to replace the GMC with LFD so now I need to figure out a way to press some letters that I can graft into the gate. Any ideas! I want the same style of letters as stock so nothing fancy

have you seen the work from pakistan on pirate?
some decent hand fab
Is he the guy and building the new jeeps out of the old cj7's and wranglers? If so he is awesome!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

And yes the "Mini van" is bought and I should get it home by Thursday for full pic's! My wife did her test drive tonight before our meeting and she almost pitched it sidways pulling out of the dealership! She rocks!!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #174
jimmydean

Quote:
door relay

Kevin
LFD Inc.
That's the part GMC Paul's website (and others I've seen) refer to the part that your door handle is connected to.

Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:25 AM   #175
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by agronomya View Post
Can we see some pics of the minivan when ya'll get it.
That hitch does look pretty nice though, pretty impressive. Do you know when you plan to do your door windows (I think you said you planned to)? I am getting ready to do mine and I'd like to see/hear what it's like to go through it.

AA
Yes I have all the parts for doing the doors but not the time right now. It will be a good few month's or so before I get to that part. I was planning on doing it as I tour the truck down for frame shorting and paint. ECE wants a write up for th event re-builds so it will be a detailed section of the build.

Kevin
LFD Inc.