The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2007, 12:11 PM   #151
berencam

Re: just totaled my 69 and almost totaled me

david is still alive!we had received false info earlier but we find out now he is still alive but in critical condition, lets keep him and his family in your prayers

to answer some of the other questions:

thats a cool idea with the bumper sticker ill try and find a full shot of it

i wont know about the insurance for some time(6 weeks), i dont even know if he had insurance to be honest

the truck is a complete loss the engine block itself is all we arent sure if its salvageable yet, but the transmission is in 2 pieces, and the drive shaft shot through the differential, the bedsides are warped as the whole frame is, the only thing of use on the truck, is the bumper and tailgate.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #152
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
david is still alive!we had received false info earlier but we find out now he is still alive but in critical condition, lets keep him and his family in your prayers

to answer some of the other questions:

i wont know about the insurance for some time(6 weeks), i dont even know if he had insurance to be honest

the truck is a complete loss the engine block itself is all we arent sure if its salvageable yet, but the transmission is in 2 pieces, and the drive shaft shot through the differential, the bedsides are warped as the whole frame is, the only thing of use on the truck, is the bumper and tailgate.
berencam, I know you are glad to know that no one died (yet). I'm sure there are a lot more like me who are glad as well. Like I said before, EVERYTHING happens for a reason. I believe you and your truck were put in front of this young man for a reason. Hopefully, he will recover and learn a lesson from all of this. I hope he has a chance to come to you and ask forgiveness and I know if he does you will give it. When/if that happens, all involved will be on the road to recovery. Good Luck. BTW maybe you can get him to help you build another truck.....

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #153
bankone1

that sucks ill take the bed
bankone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #154
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Glad to see and hear you made it with minor injuries. Looking at the damage to the truck if you hadn't had your seat belt on, you wouldn't be with us anymore. Something to think about for your next truck is shoulder belts cause they would have lessened your injuries in this particular accident. I had bad accident with a train last year and walked away with just a seat belt welt from the shoulder belt.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:43 PM   #155
Longhorn321
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankone1 View Post
that sucks ill take the bed

Vulture!

...WOOOO HOOOO!!!!
Longhorn321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #156
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Glad to hear that David is still with us. Thoughts and prayers are with still with you and your family as well as him and his family. Completely agree with Longhorn321, that things do happen for a reason.

Keep us posted, God bless!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 10-26-2007 at 02:51 PM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #157
Jim_PA

Good to hear, for the sake of both of you, I hope he makes it.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #158
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Quote:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=263800

Jeez, thats crazy though, hope he recovers.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:41 PM   #159
70' GMC
HERE.......Somewhere

I know what he will say when he comes too "I ran into an army tank" to the people thats beside him. I bet he wont get drunk any time soon.

berencam did it sound like someone hit a GONG?

Classics make it possible!

Last edited by 70' GMC; 10-26-2007 at 04:43 PM.
70' GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #160
xshadow

It's good to see David has survived. I wish you both a speedy recovery. Good luck getting a new project. Keep us posted and PLEASE POST MORE PICS> maybe some pics of under the truck, the frame and engine/trans area
xshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:49 PM   #161
mr402

I am glad to read that the guy that hit you is alive after all. I pray he's learned a valuable lesson that will stick with him for the rest of his life. We've all been young once and did some mighty stupid things. Fortunately, most of us survived without having inflicted major damage on someone else. My 19 year old son will be reading this thread. Even an Eagle Scout needs reminders once in a while.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #162
70cst

berencam...this is GREAT…GREAT news and I believe we need to let the Lord deal out the perfect justice for what David did. Who are we to judge and pass judgment? I am more on the merciful side than the vengeful side. And with the loss of my son six years ago in car accident I feel (wrongfully) that I would have the right to be vengeful but I choose not to be. Keep us posted berencam for you have many many friends ready to help you out. ...Look at it this way...you have brought together much support from this board for you, you now have friends that you did not realize that you had, and now we are looking at a bumper/window sticker to show we are 100% against drinking and driving. I will keep you and David in my prayers...not only as a friend but as a Pastor!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 10-27-2007 at 08:49 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #163
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

You are lucky to be alive. He must have been going mighty fast to go through the front end like that. Is the broken jaw and skull from hitting the steering wheel? Man, it looks terrible. Did the truck have shoulder belts?

You are not lucky to be alive - the man upstairs decided that you should be.

Get better soon.

-Brian
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #164
ChaseDale3and8

Keep us updated on David's condition. Hopefully he will make it, learn something from this and never do it again. I really hope that he pulls through this. His family and friends have suffered enough already. They are victims of this tragedy as well. Whoever saw him leave wherever he was at last must be carrying around a lot of guilt right now for not stopping him. They should have hog tied him and taken his keys by force if they had to, and found him some transportation home.

I wish that someone had stopped me that night 17 years ago when I rolled my truck after I thought that I had a big red S on the front of my shirt and was so invincible. I was 24 at the time. I'm still paying for it to this day, and will continue to do so until the day that I die. I have constant neck and back pain from it, (broke my back and neck) and sometimes some really severe headaches, but I'm still alive. I thank God that nobody was with me, and that I didn't hit anyone else when I wrecked. I couldn't live with that if I had hurt or killed somebody else due to my ignorance while I was out having "fun".
I'm just lucky that this was all that I got as a result of being stupid one night.

I learned from my mistake, and don't drink alcohol at all anymore. It's not just you that it affects once you make the decision to drive in a drunk condition. You're just playing Russian Roulette, and no matter how many times you got away with it in the past or present, the day WILL come that it will catch up with you. Getting a DUI isn't the worst thing that can happen as a result. Waking up in the hospital not knowing where you are, then being told that you had a wreck when you know that you'd been out drinking all night, and the first thought in your head is that you may have killed somebody, is the worst that can happen. Not to mention what I put my family and friends through. It was like living in hell.

My friends that tried to stop me said later on that they should have all ganged up on me and tied me down that night and took my keys till I slept it off. They all learned a lesson from my mistake too. They felt a lot of guilt for not trying harder to stop me, but I told all of them that it wasn't their fault, that I was the one to blame since I decided to be stupid that night.

I have given rides home to friends of mine that have called me too drunk to drive home since this happened to me. Like someone said on this post "I'd rather lose a couple of hours sleep than go to a funeral". I couldn't have stated this better myself.

We all make mistakes, especially when we are young. Hopefully good sense will take over eventually, and we learn not to do stupid things as we get older. I know that I'm not the only one here that has ever driven drunk. If you are still doing it, take this post as a lesson and STOP!!!

I really like the idea of the bumper sticker! I want to buy one of them myself after they get made. I wish you the best on a speedy recovery, and when you get healed up and buy another old truck, if you need some help with it just give me a shout, because I'm just up the road from you! ...Joe
Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 PM   #165
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

I'm glad to see you are OK. I guess your truck isn't too bad off, considering that a 96 sable is a big 4-door sedan, but man, your in a lot better shape and you didn't have any safety features comparted to the car that hit you. Just remeber, every year more tin cans will hit the road, but our trucks will remain tough! I hope you never have to go through it again!
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #166
xshadow

oldgold, yes it was like the other person hit a small train. If he hit a newer car with the same safty features both parties may have faired better it may have absorbed the impact a little better.,,,,but I DONT want to start up that debate.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #167
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xshadow View Post
oldgold, yes it was like the other person hit a small train. If he hit a newer car with the same safty features both parties may have faired better it may have absorbed the impact a little better.,,,,but I DONT want to start up that debate.

I agree. Tank or not, if he had been driving a newer (95 plus) chevy truck, I think he would have walked away in much better condition.

Very glad to see you're ok man. I read the thread yesterday before the update on David and it really made me think alot, and it's really good to hear that he's not dead. Also very good to hear you made it out ok.
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:22 AM   #168
gehidore
I wish; I wish I where a fish!

Quote:
I am glad to hear this as others are, I would hope that unlike many of our generation that he will walk away from this understanding what was wrong in that situation and that continues with his life knowing he could prevent another drunk driver.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:19 PM   #169
berencam

to answer someones question a while back , my employer is Culvers
its a burger and custard place. ive been working there for about 1 1/2 years. and off topic, i may have found my new c-10
its a 71 with a 350 and a a/t. whats better, my former boss has offered $1500 towards my new vehicle.....and the asking price of this 71? 1500 bucks. rather convenient hehe
Old 10-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #170
70cst

Life is good. Great news! I had lunch at Culver's this past Wed. in Corydon In. Good food at good prices.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:29 PM   #171
Boog
laying low

Son, you must be living right is all I can say. Sure you got hurt and lost your truck but it sounds like your life will be put back together rather well. Best wishes for you. That auto trans will come in handy while you are on the mend huh..
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:49 PM   #172
xshadow

Like others have said. This may have happend for a reason we will never know. God may have put you in this situation for a reason.

You walk away with your life, You still get paid, Your truck is a total loss, but You find another one that just happens to be the same price that your boss is paying. What a great guy or company to work for!

I won't be surprised if your next post says it has tow hooks, posi, tach dash and buddy buckets...Or even better after you get the truck someone offers you all of this for free to put on your truck..... The 350 turns out to be a big block?...

Last edited by xshadow; 10-28-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:33 PM   #173
ChaseDale3and8

Quote:
to answer someones question a while back , my employer is Culvers
its a burger and custard place. ive been working there for about 1 1/2 years. and off topic, i may have found my new c-10
its a 71 with a 350 and a a/t. whats better, my former boss has offered $1500 towards my new vehicle.....and the asking price of this 71? 1500 bucks. rather convenient hehe
Wow! That's mighty decent for a former boss to do for you! I just noticed your build thread on your truck and checked it out. I saw that you had just put a crate engine in your truck just about 5-6 weeks ago.

I hate that you went through all that work and expense just to have this happen to you, but looks like things are going to work out for you after all! Be sure to post up pics when you get your next one, and if you need any help be sure to get hold of myself and Bobbo. Both of us just live up the road from you in Springfield. ...Joe
Old 10-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #174
Pyrotechnic

Those are some scary pictures. Glad to hear that you made it out of that alright.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 AM   #175
impala_631
:( BYEBYE :(

Im Glad That Your Ok, I Cracked My Skull Open In A Wreck About 5 Years Ago And Its No Fun At All, I Was Out For Bout A Half A Year, Best Of Luck To You!!
impala_631 is offline   Reply With Quote