The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #151
NONHOG

Re: Another frikken Volvo ?

So after I (and friends & family) got it running it would not rev, nor stay running. Tested fuel pressure and it was only at 10 psi. Pulled the under car
(main) pump and it was toast. So I pulled the lift pump and the main pump.
Replaced with one DW pump. Got it set up and wired (with more help) and it still only had 10 psi. Before it was running only on the lift pump, which was a surprise since it calls for 65 psi. After adjusting the FPR to 45 psi it now idles and revs, sounds pretty dang good too. Better than this poor quality video but its all I got. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG0G...m-upload_owner

Now to get the proper FPR. Had some bad info there. Easy fix! Re-motivated!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:32 AM   #152
watahyahknow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ni2gPo5Us

and if you check on the swedes on youtube theres plenty to do to make those cars look pretty good

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #153
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
So after I (and friends & family) got it running it would not rev, nor stay running. Tested fuel pressure and it was only at 10 psi. Pulled the under car
(main) pump and it was toast. So I pulled the lift pump and the main pump.
Replaced with one DW pump. Got it set up and wired (with more help) and it still only had 10 psi. Before it was running only on the lift pump, which was a surprise since it calls for 65 psi. After adjusting the FPR to 45 psi it now idles and revs, sounds pretty dang good too. Better than this poor quality video but its all I got. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG0G...m-upload_owner

Now to get the proper FPR. Had some bad info there. Easy fix! Re-motivated!
Congrats and sounds good! The stop light racers heads will be spinning looking for the Mustang they hear.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #154
watahyahknow

get one of those old man hat a corduroi coat and some reading glasses
bend over to youre nose is close to the steering wheel and creep up to the stoplight next to the unsuspecting victim maibe have an acomplice drive up on the other side with a fast looking car looking to race
then when the light turns green let go
bit like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 11-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #155
SeniorVerde

I love it!
A dude with a souped Volvo did a video like you're describing, needs more V8 noises though.
https://youtu.be/YTk6YBDo-Xo
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:41 AM   #156
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Ni2gPo5Us

and if you check on the swedes on youtube theres plenty to do to make those cars look pretty good
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
Congrats and sounds good! The stop light racers heads will be spinning looking for the Mustang they hear.
Quote:
get one of those old man hat a corduroi coat and some reading glasses
bend over to youre nose is close to the steering wheel and creep up to the stoplight next to the unsuspecting victim maibe have an acomplice drive up on the other side with a fast looking car looking to race
then when the light turns green let go
bit like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy5rkw4SeP4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorVerde View Post
I love it!
A dude with a souped Volvo did a video like you're describing, needs more V8 noises though.
https://youtu.be/YTk6YBDo-Xo
Thanks guys, I do love sleepers! had a small step tonight. It moved under its own power since 2009. Less than a foot forward and back. Progress even small progress is encouraging.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #157
NONHOG

Drove it about 10 miles tonight!
Needs some fine tuning and tires!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #158
watahyahknow

if you have the lambdah hooked up and if the basetune of the setup is somewat in the green it should adjust itself over time , at least in the area's it matters most
someone thats handy with the computerprogram could drive along in the passengerseat and do some tuning on the fly while making accellerations on quet public roads and get realy close to optimal

time NOT spend on the dyno can save you some cash if you do it right (they usually charge by the hour)

Old 04-11-2016, 01:06 PM   #159
NONHOG

Thanks watahyahknow,
mostly "swap" fine tuning. ride rough since its been sitting, we know tires are old, but may need struts, shocks, bushings etc. Engine runs good, sounds good.

185 tires bit small even for a stock 5.0 (see vid) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3A...w?pref=2&pli=1
Old 04-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #160
watahyahknow

if youre still running the original rearend you might not want to go to too wide a tire in the rear ,kindah using the tires as a safety fuse (tires letting go before the axle breaks )

allso believe that newer volvo rims will fit but im not sure better try one frst
i personally like these

Old 05-06-2016, 10:33 PM   #161
NONHOG

Quote:
if youre still running the original rearend you might not want to go to too wide a tire in the rear ,kindah using the tires as a safety fuse (tires letting go before the axle breaks )
Yep its a cruiser, not a drag car. We are going with 205/60/15 in the rear (similar to tire in picture) about as big as one can go w/o surgery and/or custom wheels. Getting Michelin tires on Monday for the luxury ride.
Engine compartment looks almost OEM. The look I was after.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #162
watahyahknow

from wat i hear the ford 8.8 rearend is pretty strong if you can find the higher spline version , often has a locker in it , often has reardiskbrakes too and are a lot cheaper and eazier to find than the 9 inch
if you can find one the propper width they might be a good replacement for the volvo one should it break

Old 05-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #163
ejn74

Car looks Awesome!!!

Last edited by ejn74; 05-07-2016 at 06:58 PM.
ejn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 AM   #164
6772owner
Gearhead

Looks great, awesome job!

Project C10 (my 72' C10 w/96' LT1, 700R4, bagged F&R, 18's (for now), Short/Fleet) -- SOLD!
Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313644
6772owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #165
NONHOG

Quote:
from wat i hear the ford 8.8 rearend is pretty strong if you can find the higher spline version , often has a locker in it , often has reardiskbrakes too and are a lot cheaper and eazier to find than the 9 inch
if you can find one the propper width they might be a good replacement for the volvo one should it break
Thanks, have read threads on how its done. For now its just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejn74 View Post
Car looks Awesome!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6772owner View Post
Looks great, awesome job!

Thanks guys!
Name:  btow 007.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  64.8 KB

Popped a keeper pin on the shift linkage and pin fell out on my lil' test drive on our private road. Lucky for me I found the pin. I suppose it was also lucky it broke down only feet from my shop.

Have the 3mm spacers and mounted the newer Bertone wheels on front too. Have a re man P/S pump sitting patiently waiting for me to install it.
Hoping the whine noise will cease when installed. Crossing my fingers!

Last edited by NONHOG; 05-16-2016 at 05:49 PM.
NONHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #166
watahyahknow

the whine could allso be air in the system
try this : with a running engine wind the steeringwheel from lock to lock a few times , that should bleed the system and solve the problem
simple thing to do and could save you a bunch of wrenching if it would solve it

Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #167
Woodyboat

WOW! I JUST NOW FOUND THIS THREAD.

When I get a little more time, I'll go back and read it all the way through.

I came to this forum because of my 1986 Big Dually that I will put back to factory condition. I need this truck to pull largish boats. But my daily driver is a 1988 Volvo 240DL. I bought the car in 1994 when it had 134,000 miles on it. It now has over 500,000 and still running very well. I painted it over the winter because it was looking sad. I'll post a few photos soon.

Anyway, my family has been driving Volvos since 1964 when mom and dad bought a 122 Amazon. In the years since, we've owned I think at least one of just about every model that Volvo has made. We have owned:

2 - 122 Amazons
1- P1800
2 - PV544s
1 - PV444
3 - 142s
2 - 164s
6 - 240s including a 1980 GT, (quite rare)
1 - 245 wagon
2 - 740s
2 - 940s
1 - 960

Sorry, no Bertone coupes although my mother has lusted after one ever since they came out in the late 70s. Yours is beautiful BTW.

I agree about your putting a V8 in at least one Volvo. Volvos have ALWAYS been underpowered IMO. They're such solid cars with very excellent road handling characteristics - So much so that they just cry for more power - something that the old guard at Volvo declared that we didn't need. That was one thing that always amazed me. What other car company would tell it's customers that they would not deliver this or that because:

"...You don't need that. If you think you DO need that then go buy a different brand of car."

That's why we saw quirky things like a 73 164 that had power windows in the front but crank windows in the back. And no completely leather seats - only leather FACED seats. LOL

I have a 240 right now that I intend to power with a V8. It is going to be a future project and I am very glad to find this thread. I think it's amazing that the Volvo forums don't have build threads like these. It's just crazy that I have to come to a Chevy Truck forum to find a Volvo build thread.

You Da man!!
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #168
NONHOG

Quote:
the whine could allso be air in the system
try this : with a running engine wind the steeringwheel from lock to lock a few times ,
Did that. Also after replacing the P/S pump. Cleaned the reservoir and added a filter. Still has noises but not from the pump. One down!
Old 06-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #169
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
WOW! I JUST NOW FOUND THIS THREAD.

When I get a little more time, I'll go back and read it all the way through.

I came to this forum because of my 1986 Big Dually.
We have owned:

2 - 122 Amazons
1- P1800
2 - PV544s
1 - PV444
3 - 142s
2 - 164s
6 - 240s including a 1980 GT, (quite rare)
1 - 245 wagon
2 - 740s
2 - 940s
1 - 960

It's just crazy that I have to come to a Chevy Truck forum to find a Volvo build thread.

You Da man!!
Funny I came to this forum when I owned a 1970 C-10 (long gone) has since owned a couple other Chevy/GMC's and will again but currently working on Volvo's, not my first choice but I have since grown to really appreciate them.
When I started dating my wife 10+ years ago she mentioned having a collector car. (this Bertone) on our first date she wore this shirt.

Not on her shirt is the 66 Amazon estate (also on alternate tinkerings) now owned by my son. Our 68 Amazon estate (gave its life for the 66) and a 74 164 E (sold victim of the economy)

I am not a Volvo guy or a Chevy truck guy. I like them all!
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #170
watahyahknow

like those amazon's , there verry good basis for a mercury type leadsled

Old 06-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #171
Woodyboat

Quote:
...not my first choice but I have since grown to really appreciate them.
EXACTLY! Growing up in the 60s, I never knew anything else because my folks drove Volvos - end of story. They had bought the first one because, as they told the Volvo salesman in Nashville, "We just need a car that will go over 100,000 miles." In 1964, there were almost no cars on the road that actually would go that many miles ... at least not in a price range my folks could afford.

As a kid, I thought Volvos were stodgy and embarrassing to be seen in. My best friend's dad had a 1966 396 Chevelle and our Volvo could, in no way, keep up with it. I thought, "Now THAT is a cool car." And of course, the Chevelle still is.

But Volvo's obsession with safety, at a time when the rest of the industry cared little about it, paid dividends for my family. My dad had been working for the telephone company. AT&T and Ma Bell stressed safety in all their drivers back then because they didn't want to have to buy insurance for all their trucks. Instead, they backed their trucks themselves but this had the result of most accidents being ruled as "avoidable" because an uninsured truck shouldn't have been on the road. Thus, the phone company really hammered safety through ketchup films and upgrading all trucks to these new-fangled three point seat belts. They required drivers to watch the films and to wear their belts. Employees faced serious disciplinary actions if they were caught NOT wearing their seat belts. And so, my dad just got into a habit and never thought much about it. This was at a time when the general public did not yet believe in seat belts and it was considered very unfashionable to wear them. Most cars didn't have them at all - not even lap belts. One of the selling points of the Amazons was that they came from the factory with three-point belts standard. Since my dad was already in the habit of wearing them, he simply required the rest of us to wear them too.

I personally went through something of a metamorphosis in my impressionable adolescent years when i was learning to drive because of some very life changing events. My dad had a job that required a long commute. He was driving our first Amazon back and forth. We lived way out in the country and Dad consistently drove way too fast because there were no cops around to slow him down. (Even now, I describe my father as one of the most intelligent morons on the planet.) One night he was driving about 80 on a gravel road and simply lost control. The car slid into a ditch nose first and then cartwheeled at least three times end over end and landed on its roof. If you're familiar with the Amazons, you know that they have this MASSIVE roll bar hoop that you can feel through the headliner. Yes, Dad was wearing his seat belt. He climbed out of the mess and walked to a farmer's house to call for help. When mom got the phone call, dad told her he was ok but that the car was a complete loss. It got towed to a junk yard and I got to see it before they scrapped it. It was unrecognizable but it had saved my Dad's stupid life. I say "stupid" because my Dad was both smart and stupid. He was smart to drive a Volvo and wear his seat belt. He was stupid to drive 80 mph on a gravel road at night.

With the loss of our first Amazon, we were now down to one car - our second Amazon. Yes, my parents really were dorks. Can you imagine any family owning TWO Volvos during the muscle car wars? Anyway, one night my brother and I were riding with my mother. It was dark, it was raining cats and dogs and we were on a country two-lane road. A car coming our direction crossed the center line and Mom swerved to avoid a head-on. But the resulting oscillation caused the car to spin and we wiped out a power pole that hit the Amazon right on the B pillar - yup, that big strong roll bar. All three of us climbed out into the rain to look. The impact deflected the
B pillar about two inches but it completely sheared off the power pole! I have never seen any car accident before or since, where the pole received so much damage and the car so little damage. The guys at the body shop told us that they really didn't know if the hydraulics on the frame machine were going to be strong enough to pull the B pillar back into alignment but, in the end, they got it done and we drove that Amazon for many years after that.

For a little kid like me, I completely lost any sense of youthful invulnerability as a result of those two accidents in quick succession. The two crashes absolutely scared the dickens out of me. And I became a believer. We've crashed a number of Volvos over the years and, without exception, we've always been glad to have been in a Volvo.

However, there is one other aspect to Volvo ownership that virtually no one ever stops to think about. Volvos typically go thousands and thousands of miles between repairs. Volvo is a car that is noted for going hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of miles but that doesn't really mean much unless the car can do it trouble free. ANY car can be kept on the road if the owner is willing to keep it repaired. Over the years, we've often had to make repairs that we were convinced that we had just done. For example, my mother's 95 940 recently got a new water pump and cam belt. We didn't know if the old cam belt was bad but hey, we're doing the water pump anyway. You know how it is. Mom kept saying: "We just replaced that cam belt not too long ago. Why do we have to do it again so soon?" Dad and I agreed. It just hadn't been all that long.

WRONG!! We got out the records and looked. We replaced the previous cam belt in 2004. OMG, where did the time go? The fact is that, when Volvos break down, they do it very rarely. Then, when they get repaired, the repairs last for years. (This, of course, depends upon using genuine Volvo parts. They cost more but are well worth it.)

There is sad news though. All the new front wheel drive Volvos starting in 1997, are not REAL Volvos. They are basically Fords with Volvo emblems on them. I suppose they are good enough cars but they are nothing stellar in the auto industry. You see... Volvo's old guard died off in the mid 90s and the kids that inherited the company went public. Volvo was first bought out by Ford and so, Ford brought in the bean counters, switched to front wheel drive and screwed up a good thing - typical for Ford. Now, as I understand it, the Chinese own Volvo and that can't be a good thing for Volvo's reputation. I just can't see the Chinese ever having the dedication to quality and safety that the Swedish have always had. This is one of the biggest reasons that I keep my 240 running. I can't replace it with a newer Volvo because I feel that there really is no such thing as a newer Volvo. Very sad.

Quote:
When I started dating my wife 10+ years ago she mentioned having a collector car. (this Bertone) on our first date she wore this shirt.
Wow, having a shirt specifically made up to show her love for Volvos shows serious dedication. Sounds like she's a keeper.

There is one Volvo that we have never owned and I lament this. We have never owned a Duett. I am not a rich man but if I can get myself into a position to sock away money specifically for a collector car purchase, I will save for a Duett.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #172
Woodyboat

Quote:
like those amazon's , there verry good basis for a mercury type leadsled
AGREED!!

Are you familiar with the old Volvo PV444s and PV544s? They took their styling cues from the 1946-48 Fords and Mercuries.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #173
Woodyboat

Here are a couple of photos of the Duett - a car I've always wanted and just mentioned in a previous post.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #174
watahyahknow

seen a few of these in the netherlands , the people owning them usually pick those up in sweden and get them registered here , you be suprized how whell these cars still are

Old 07-01-2016, 12:42 AM   #175
NONHOG

Slowly eliminating exhaust rattles. (better video to come) this one was during our diagnostic night the other evening. Sounds better now.

https://youtu.be/gXz6dcXddHA