The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #151
made2drag

Re: 86 squarebody made2drag

i did a quick search for video using the autozone tool that is free to borrow. when its on your truck's coil it will be flipped the other way and you would use your socket underneath. the fork thing should go as low in the coil you can get it and the 2 hooks should be hooked as high as you can get it. even when you tighten the nut and compress the spring a couple inches, when you take it out it will pop a little and scare the mess out of you the first time. the first one will take awhile but when you get to the other side you'll remember the angle you slid it in at and other various things you figured out on the first side.

made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #152
91Subbed

I see... Hey once i do the front bags what about the back? I don't wanna leave it sitting high...Should I get a flip kit till I get the rear bags? What do you suggest?
Posted via Mobile Device
91Subbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:42 AM   #153
54Caddy
GM Addicted

nice truck man. like the way your getting things done. when are you going to do the rear set up?

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #154
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Subbed View Post
I see... Hey once i do the front bags what about the back? I don't wanna leave it sitting high...Should I get a flip kit till I get the rear bags? What do you suggest?
Posted via Mobile Device
if it were mine and since it is a suburban....which is hard to do the rear on since you can take a bed off....i would buy a flip kit and see how much room you still have between your axle and frame. if you want to go as low as your axle touching frame, put some shackles on or pull one leaf spring. shackles are better than pulling a leaf. then i would add some air shocks and shock extenders so the shock is more upright. this worked great when i had a 93 yukon

change the air shocks later to an airbag helper kit that bolts to the side of your frame. but if you want a really good setup the guy to ask is justpball, he has a killer rear setup in my opinion
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #155
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Caddy View Post
nice truck man. like the way your getting things done. when are you going to do the rear set up?
right now im cutting and building some step notches. hopefully have them welded and on my frame in a week or 2. then im gonna add 3x3 tubing to make some lowering blocks. when i did the flip my angle finder helped me get my trans output and differential lined up so 3 inch blocks should be fine...sleeve bags and shocks after that....then if it rides terrible, i will go with a extensive 2 link. also want to add a hitch while the beds off. when i get a sport bumper im going to put a camaro flip license plate holder so i can tow a trailer if i want to
Old 01-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #156
91Subbed

It looks like he has bottom axel brackets bags top brackets flip kit shock extenders. It looks pretty simple?
Another question: on a front and rear system would it be better to run a 5gal tank and compressor for the front and a tank/compressor for the back? I was thinking yes cause of the weight of my suburban.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #157
made2drag

Quote:
It looks like he has bottom axel brackets bags top brackets flip kit shock extenders. It looks pretty simple?
Another question: on a front and rear system would it be better to run a 5gal tank and compressor for the front and a tank/compressor for the back? I was thinking yes cause of the weight of my suburban.
Posted via Mobile Device

not sure if it would be better or not.

if you ran all valves and 2 compressors to 1 tank.....the tank would fill up fast and you would have faster recovery from 0 psi i would think. but then i dont know because having sep tank and 2 compressor would be good if you mostly use your front switches and then you could use a sep tank and compressor for the rear.....3 comp and 2 tanks i think would work the best...never thought about that
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #158
made2drag

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
i started a thread to get opinions on this

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...79#post5120679
Old 01-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #159
91Subbed

How did you make those flipkit brackets? Do you sell them? I was looking online they're pretty pricey! I saw a pretty good kit from Stillen it had flipkit cnotch shock brackets all the hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #160
made2drag

Quote:
How did you make those flipkit brackets? Do you sell them? I was looking online they're pretty pricey! I saw a pretty good kit from Stillen it had flipkit cnotch shock brackets all the hardware.
Posted via Mobile Device

got some axle seats from tractor supply co. and some flat bar they also sell. then before i finished the flip brackets i put them in and moved my differential around until my angle finder said the differential was at the same angle as my transmission output and then measured from the axle seats to the inside of the axle seats on the housing for the front and rear on each side. cut my flat bar test fitted then took the brackets out and welded the peices then put them back in and tightened everything up. make sure to mark the yoke posistion where the driveshaft goes into the transmission. i scored it and when i was done it was in the same place. you dont want your drive shaft to be too far forward or too far back. i think there is about an inch of movement.

axle seats were 9 bucks for the pair and flat bar was about 7 bucks. i have seen flip kits go for about 90 bucks. you have to search really hard though.

i dont sell them. its the second set i made but for different vehicles both times and its not fun. the first pair i made with square tubing and flat bar and it took 3 hours. buy the 9 buck ones and it will only take 30 mins. take them to a muffler shop to get them welded if your not up on welding. dont want anything to come apart.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #161
91Subbed

I was checking out "justpball" thread and I was looking at the rear setup and it's pretty straight forward the question I have is about the leaf springs, do you need the leafs if you have the flipkit and bags?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM   #162
made2drag

Quote:
I was checking out "justpball" thread and I was looking at the rear setup and it's pretty straight forward the question I have is about the leaf springs, do you need the leafs if you have the flipkit and bags?
Posted via Mobile Device
flipkits are for leaf springs.

you can have bags on leaves springs or link bars with bags on them or mount the bags somewhere else and use leafs or bars. check out N2TRUX's bag over leaf pics or send him a pm. he now has a different setup though
Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #163
strokd 84

When you took the pics of the front wheels turning on pg 5, what was the distance from the ground to the middle of the fender well opening?

I have a static drop 84 that measures 27" and I'm trying to figure out how big of a tire I can get and still turn.
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/f...let_silverado/
strokd 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #164
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokd 84 View Post
When you took the pics of the front wheels turning on pg 5, what was the distance from the ground to the middle of the fender well opening?

I have a static drop 84 that measures 27" and I'm trying to figure out how big of a tire I can get and still turn.
Posted via Mobile Device

this might answer it....my tires are 245/45/20's and they are 28 and half inches tall. i have between 1.5 and 2 inches of clearance under the control arm. with that tire my fender well opening will be at 25 inches i believe. its not in good spot to measure at the moment. my whitewalls are 26.5 inches tall and the fender well was 23 3/4 and since my 20 inch tires are 28.5 that would give an inch of extra height
Old 01-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #165
strokd 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
this might answer it....my tires are 245/45/20's and they are 28 and half inches tall. i have between 1.5 and 2 inches of clearance under the control arm. with that tire my fender well opening will be at 25 inches i believe. its not in good spot to measure at the moment. my whitewalls are 26.5 inches tall and the fender well was 23 3/4 and since my 20 inch tires are 28.5 that would give an inch of extra height
Thanks. That's very helpful. The tires are 3.5" taller than the opening and it turns lock to lock. That's pleasantly surprising to learn. What's the BS on the wheels?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2012, 09:37 AM   #166
made2drag

Quote:
Thanks. That's very helpful. The tires are 3.5" taller than the opening and it turns lock to lock. That's pleasantly surprising to learn. What's the BS on the wheels?
Posted via Mobile Device

my truck has alot of negative camber and may be why it does have so much clearance lock to lock. im hoping if i put drop spindles on i will still be able to riding low.

bs is 5.25 im pretty sure. i got them here for $195 to the door each.

http://eliteswheels.com/model.php?br...338&color=Gray
Old 01-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #167
strokd 84

Your camber point makes sense. Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to post a build thread soon. Wish me luck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #168
made2drag

Quote:
Your camber point makes sense. Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to post a build thread soon. Wish me luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

i just went out and measured..... 24 3/4 to the fender well

i'll be looking for your build...good luck
Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #169
strokd 84

Thanks man. I've been looking forward to this resto for a long time. Now that I finally have the cash, I'm excited to get started!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #170
made2drag

Quote:
Thanks man. I've been looking forward to this resto for a long time. Now that I finally have the cash, I'm excited to get started!
Posted via Mobile Device

please send me a link when you start your build
Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #171
strokd 84

Will do. But the "build" will belong to the body shop. I just pay the bills - LOL
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #172
timzrides

Very cool build, like it!
timzrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #173
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzrides View Post
Very cool build, like it!

thanks, low budget but its getting done
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #174
made2drag

made some step notches last night. got them tacked together. sawzall and lots of grinding. still have to cut the bottom angles to match the angle where they sit in the frame.
also, need to get my 4 in plate (3/16) ready to box the frame in around them.

Last edited by made2drag; 01-19-2012 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #175
made2drag

made a bunch of runs with my welder.....i don't think im good enough yet at welding to tackle welding them in, so i'm gonna take them to Titan Fabrications in Prattville AL. all i'll have to do is cut some slits to get them in position and then cut the old out when they're done.