The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #151
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Project#2 67-72 Restoration's Shop truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Recruit someone else to give a hand When I put mine back in (with LMC gasket) we used rope lube screwdrivers popsiclce sticks and 6 hands
Bmerdoc's coming to help and just did one recently...

Here are a few pics for now. My phone is slow tonight and laptop is dead until I get a new power chord which has been an ordeal...

Pics show the truck stripped, interior before and after cleaning and rockers after taking up sill plates and weatherstrip
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #152
VA72C10
VA72C10

I cleaned the rockers better after....had lots of dirt and rust scale from the bottom of the sill plates but no weak spots or holes!

Last pics for tonight....

Some cool pieces and tools included with the misc parts box the po gave me...
Got the woodgrain sticker off the ashtray by soaking in goof off....now have naval jelly inside the tray to clean it up overnight...
A glimpse of the stripped cab...need to finish taking the wiring harness off and that's it...
And the 8k dash picture for littletony.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #153
XxCHEVYMANxX

looks good Johnathan ! nice progress.
1977 Trans Am (Project)
1965 Chevelle (Project)
XxCHEVYMANxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #154
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue1968chevy View Post
Recruit someone else to give a hand When I put mine back in (with LMC gasket) we used rope lube screwdrivers popsiclce sticks and 6 hands
Bmerdoc came over....much easier than I thought....mainly because he just had done his. He's got the skills to pay the bills as they say thanks again nick! One project I can check off the list entirely! Old windshield removed, channel wire wheeled, rust repaired, painted, repair above glass completed and primered (still needs a wipe of filler and paint/patina to match) glass cleaned and installed with new seal (was one I got with some other parts....came from lmc and fit fine for future reference....bmerdoc's seal was also lmc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCHEVYMANxX View Post
looks good Johnathan ! nice progress.
Thanks, a lot more done today...

Also sprayed the frame one more time with degreaser this time and powerwashed including the underside of the cab this time. Primer done on the frame. Also rust converted and primered in the wire gutter and some areas around the hinges. Will paint all those areas satin black. Watching the girls as my wife is at the store...needed a quick bite to eat and break for an update anyways

Planning to go back out and get the frame painted and get the old wiring harness pulled out. Have a good used one to put in its' place...the one that came out of my 70...it had full gauges and everything worked electrically.

Still fighting the upper bolts in the rear sprij
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #155
VA72C10
VA72C10

Above you also see the tools I used to cut out the siezed frame mount bolt for the panhard rod. Got that out and the upper shock mounts. Rear is ready to remove once I get the upper spring bolts out or cut...

Here's the windshield frame before install....need to get better pics of the windshield in the daylight tomorrow. Will try to post one later.

And the grinding tools I used....$45 total investment and each has a specific purpose...easy to switch the cord...or use a splitter and have all hooked up...

Saves time and saves the tools as you switch from one to the other instead of continuous use...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #156
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I love the array of grinders you have there. At $10 per, why not? I never owned one until a few months ago and now I use it all the time. Don't know how I lived without it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #157
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I love the array of grinders you have there. At $10 per, why not? I never owned one until a few months ago and now I use it all the time. Don't know how I lived without it.
Posted via Mobile Device
They are a time saver for sure....and for someone like me with a small pancake compressor....they are basically a requirement...

Got the harness all disconnected....just have to undo the two bolts but waiting till I have the other to install since there's a good probability of rain....hoping my paint cures in time

I took a couple pictures of the frame painted but please remember....
First of all, I ran out of paint (knew I was going to) so I need 7 more cans tomorrow....still around $72 total in primer, paint and prep suplies (yes, I'm jealous of you guys who get frames blasted and powdercoated for $300....around here just blasting the frame is minimum 650...and powdercoating? If you have to ask you can't afford it

the complete rear and trailing arms are being swapped....
I'm installing new shocks all around...
I will be replacing any front end components needed once I give it a shake down run...everything passes the driveway test all dust sleeves look good and they were greased well...
Shortly the lca's will be replaced with cupped ones and bags installed...
This is a driver....didn't even have to paint the frame but I can't leave it alone

I am going to jack the cab up to install new mounts and remove the 3spd crossmember and will paint the frame under the cab then. Cab also is going to have an extra layer of undercoating sprayed over the factory stuff to clean it up....you have to see this cab underside to believe it if you live in va, the east coast in general, or the rust belt...it is the very best floor I've seen from a VA born and raised truck ....quite amazing actually.

Now the pics...including a dark picture of the windshield....just because I said I would...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #158
1972BackInBlackC10

you need one of those 3 million candlelight spot lamps lol like half your pics are taken at night time you need a good flood light to shine hile you take pics
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #159
Tinkermc

nice progress even in the dark
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #160
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
you need one of those 3 million candlelight spot lamps lol like half your pics are taken at night time you need a good flood light to shine hile you take pics
don't think the neighbors would appreciate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
nice progress even in the dark
Thanks...my wife says I do my best work at night (insetr wah wah wah sound effect)

Here's a daylight picture....just got back from. Church....heading out in a few to get back at it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #161
1972BackInBlackC10

nice job! you guys can come put one in my 67 i dont mind ill buy the beer lol
1972BackInBlackC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #162
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972BackInBlackC10 View Post
nice job! you guys can come put one in my 67 i dont mind ill buy the beer lol
Make mine a root beer please

Slight delay while I watched my girls for a bit....

My reply was wiped so the cliff notes...

New old rear ubolts cut
rear and trailing arms degreased and pressure washed
Used leaf blower to dry so I can prime and paint tonight hopefully
Two coats now on front and rear of frame
Working on cab mounts to finish under frame and remove crossmember
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #163
Rusbuilt

Looking good sir! And I must say I prefer root beer too! lol
Rusbuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #164
Xeen

Looking good!
Did you use anything to clean up the frame other than your pressure washer to remove debris, like for instance a wire cup/wheel or poly carbonite disk to remove rust before you painted?
Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #165
VA72C10
VA72C10

Cool Re: Project#2 67-72 Restoration's Shop truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusbuilt View Post
Looking good sir! And I must say I prefer root beer too! lol
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Looking good!
Did you use anything to clean up the frame other than your pressure washer to remove debris, like for instance a wire cup/wheel or poly carbonite disk to remove rust before you painted?
Thanks, on this one I used a scraper on some loose paint and a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" grinder for one spot of undercoating....then reminded myself I have a fast approaching deadline and k.i.s.s. on other frames I've used a combination of wire wheels, wire cups, and 60 grit on a grinder. This one has a lot of factory undercoating on it but it's good protection and it's a driver so I left it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #166
VA72C10
VA72C10

Speaking of building a driver....realized this became a body-off frame restoration tonight have the front clip and bed off and tonight had the cab lifted off the chassis...

Got new cab mounts in (painted the hardware and reused the bottoms since they don't actually separate the body from the frame and they were in "good nick" as they say on british car shows

Painted the frame under the truck and started removal of the manual crossmember....I decided it wasn't worth my time after lifting the cab way up and grinding the rivets off only to be unable to drive them out due to lack of space...I cut the top side and then realized it was almost 9pm on a school night so I will wait for another day....cpp tubular mount on order will take a week or so anyways...

Also ended up being too cold and humid for painting so I'm in "early". Have a full day of contractor work tomorrow (kitchen and bath cad layouts) so I'm going to get some rest...back at it tomorrow night...
Pics show new rear mount, and difference in old vs new front mounts and core support mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2012, 12:25 AM   #167
VA72C10
VA72C10

Invisible rear mounts...cool, huh?

Forgot to mention I also came up with a gameplan tonight for the front clip. Sprayed the hardware I need to remove with penetrant. Unwrapped the cowl seal so it could stretch out and straighten out before install. Working on getting the interior ordered...as well as the last suspension parts...

I removed the cardboard-esque material under the mat tonight....it was still wet and the last time liquid was near the truck was over 2 days and I've had the doors open all day/night as I work on it....so I will spray that areat with rust converter and then install some pieces of dynamat I have leftover under the mat, under the seat, under the gas tank, and on the back wall behind the gas tank.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 AM   #168
Xeen

LOL mine is going to be a daily driver also but I find I cant leave anything untouched I just cant help myself.
I have to do all of it or none of it but then im not really on a deadline either.

Also as a side note I have a product recommendation for you as well.
I dont know if you have tried them before but Poly Carbonite discs on a Heavy Duty 11,000 RPM side angle grinder is AWESOME I did the majority of all my rust removal with them.
Poly Carbonite disks are gentle enough to not remove metal, but tough enough to strip paint, body filler and rust, it is probably the most versitile all in one disk I have ever used and it leaves a very nice surface behind for primer.
If you havent ever tried any buy the 4 1/2" harbor freight brand they are inexpensive and hold up well.
As a restoration guy I thought you might apreciate a tip on anything that will save you time and money but if you have used them before you already know how great it is and someone else can take my advice and give Poly Carbonite disks a try.
Happy Trucking!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #169
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
LOL mine is going to be a daily driver also but I find I cant leave anything untouched I just cant help myself.
I have to do all of it or none of it but then im not really on a deadline either.

Also as a side note I have a product recommendation for you as well.
I dont know if you have tried them before but Poly Carbonite discs on a Heavy Duty 11,000 RPM side angle grinder is AWESOME I did the majority of all my rust removal with them.
Poly Carbonite disks are gentle enough to not remove metal, but tough enough to strip paint, body filler and rust, it is probably the most versitile all in one disk I have ever used and it leaves a very nice surface behind for primer.
If you havent ever tried any buy the 4 1/2" harbor freight brand they are inexpensive and hold up well.
As a restoration guy I thought you might apreciate a tip on anything that will save you time and money but if you have used them before you already know how great it is and someone else can take my advice and give Poly Carbonite disks a try.
Happy Trucking!
Thanks! Is this what you're referring to? If so, I have a few and definitely use them on sheetmetal to minimize warpage/material removal....but prefer something more agressive on the frames...

Believe me....this has gone further than originally planned already. Ripping all the wiring out to make sure it's all good....full body off frame so I can change mounts and clean/paint the frame...

It's going to have patina on the outside and inside sheetmetal but everywhere else like new or better
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #170
VA72C10
VA72C10

If this is going to be my rolling advertising it needs to be done right...frame looks good in person and I'm sure most won't look under, but when they do, they will see a painted frame, clean wiring, and some accent colors (silver)

Here are a few more pictures while I wait for my assignment....now 35 minutes sitting here on the forum they will pay me for

...under the factory rubber mat is a white foam like material and then under that is a dense cardboard-esque material that has disentegrated over the years....all looked perfect actually until I lifted it to change the front cab mounts and it fell to pieces

Don't know who's bright idea this stuff was....I guess it was for insulation/noise control/padding; but in the end its' main purpose has been to hold in moisture to rust the floor pans.

Thankfully both are very solid but have surface rust. I need to remove the mat without destroying it and then clean up the floor and paint it with rust neutralizer/converter...then will put down some dynamat I have and either put this mat back or a full mat I have.

May even just lift the mat and not fully remove so as not to destroy it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #171
Xeen

Yeah I figured you had used Poly Carbonite disks before but I like to be helpfull and ya never know untill you ask right?
Im sure that stuff they put under the floor mat was considered adequate at the time, I mean we are talking about 1967 here, and Chevrolet wasnt NASA
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #172
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Yeah I figured you had used Poly Carbonite disks before but I like to be helpfull and ya never know untill you ask right?
Im sure that stuff they put under the floor mat was considered adequate at the time, I mean we are talking about 1967 here, and Chevrolet wasnt NASA
I definitely appreciate the help! Making sure we were talking about the same thing...

I learn something new every day on here and as I work on the truck. This is my first complete 67 so I'm seeing a lot of the 67 specific items actually on the truck for the first time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #173
NewType72

Man they always are "drivers" until we start looking harder am I right? great Job on progress so far looks awesome
Posted via Mobile Device

- Dylan
(209)-985-7721
NewType72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:38 PM   #174
Tinkermc

Jonathon my 72 had a rubber mat and everything else you found there my cardboard was dry but you could vacume the dust up easier than trying to pick it up. An air hose with a blower removed all of mine. Starting to look like a lot of work
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #175
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewType72 View Post
Man they always are "drivers" until we start looking harder am I right? great Job on progress so far looks awesome
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks! I can't leave well enough alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
Jonathon my 72 had a rubber mat and everything else you found there my cardboard was dry but you could vacume the dust up easier than trying to pick it up. An air hose with a blower removed all of mine. Starting to look like a lot of work
Yep, a LOT of work! But is going to be worth it. Should be good advertising and something I can enjoy and use as well.

Good talking with you....go with air ride

Got the rear and trailing arms primered and painted....and rust reformer sprayed under the mat and at the rocker seams...

On thepic of the rear...the e-brake cable is painted the silver paint...same as the trailing arms.....also will paint the a-arms when I bag it...and paint the rest of the ebrake stuff to match as well...just to add a little accent...
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images