The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 10:48 PM   #151
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: 66 Buick Skylark - Ruth

Oh? And why is that?
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 PM   #152
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

I don't like hunting things down...

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:21 PM   #153
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Some updates...

The radiator support and the front of the right inner fender needed a small an=mount of rust repair because of the old battery leakage.

The speedometer on the Skylark is a long skinny rectangle which really limits the options for changing over to electronic. Dakota Digital makes a nice setup for the same year Chevelle, but it won't fit Ruth.

The smallest you can get most speedometers and tachs is 3-3/8. The height of Ruth's panel is 3-1/4 and I don't want to cut into the dash to rig something up.

Trying out some new gauges from Speed Hut. They have some gauges that are 2-5/8 that will fit, but of course the trade-off is that they are going to be harder to read. The neat thing about Speed Hut is they custom make the gauges stylistically - you can pick the face color, font, needle color, ring material, etc.

The speedometer is GPS based, so that's much easier than getting the typical feed from the harness to work.

The other alternative is to use a different transmission tailhousing which will drive the existing mechanical speedometer and still sends info via ESS to the computer. The tach and any other gauges will still require some head scratching. Ruth just has a gas gauge and idiot lights.

I really like the GPS speedometer I installed in the Green '67 Chevy, when I put the 5 speed overdrive trans in it. Works like a champ. And like one of the guys said "burnouts won't add miles"...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:24 PM   #154
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I really like the GPS speedometer I installed in the Green '67 Chevy, when I put the 5 speed overdrive trans in it. Works like a champ. And like one of the guys said "burnouts won't add miles"...

LockDoc

Great point!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #155
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Boy, these cars had a ton of stainless on them. I picked up a tip on this stuff called AutoSol which is pretty darn good stuff.

The ceiling of my shop is white insulation which makes those pieces look dull. Check out the squarish piece under the yellow cloth for a better idea.

Last edited by Zoomin; 02-01-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:38 PM   #156
67c10rustbuket

Wow Steve (& Kyle), You guys are killing it. Really awesome stuff coming together on this one.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #157
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Thanks Dan! Ready for Spring yet???

Kyle got the radiator support and inners sprayed. He did some cleanup work on the inners, smoothing and rounding the area where the splash guards attach.

I'll be delivering a ton of parts to the LBR shop complex sometime in the next few days. Watch this space for more progress soon.

Check out this 39 Lincoln Zephyr that Kyle is working on. It took 3rd at the Grand National Roadster Show.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #158
mcbassin
Still Learning

Very nice work on the trim Steve! I'm gonna have to try that stuff. That 39 is insane!

Did you catch the 68 Skylark similar to yours except convertible ,on Rods and wheels discovery "reality" show the other day?

Last edited by mcbassin; 02-05-2014 at 11:34 PM.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:01 AM   #159
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Didnt think there was a car show I missed. That's a new one on me, I'll check it out.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #160
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Didnt think there was a car show I missed. That's a new one on me, I'll check it out.
I catch crap for having the DRV loaded with car shows. It's winter, I have to have something to fill my time.... The show is pretty weak and un realistic. It's just entertainment. This is the only pic I could find: HERE

Kyle is killing it on your car. I got to check it out up close the other day. The LS power plant looks like it should be there. Looking forward to hearing it run, I hear it has a few goodies installed.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #161
Stickman

That is gonna be a nice ride when it's done. My vote is red on the interior and I think the LS swap is awesome. When I would take my Buick to the BOP show in Scottsdale and talk about swapping for an LS motor the purist would want to ban you from the show!
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:14 PM   #162
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I catch crap for having the DRV loaded with car shows. It's winter, I have to have something to fill my time.... The show is pretty weak and un realistic. It's just entertainment. This is the only pic I could find: HERE

Kyle is killing it on your car. I got to check it out up close the other day. The LS power plant looks like it should be there. Looking forward to hearing it run, I hear it has a few goodies installed.
Kyle always does top notch work. He works on it like it's his own and he always offers suggestions on things to consider. The fact his projects don't linger on forever is a huge plus.

Thanks for your opinion on the car too. Coming from a guy like you whose opinion I respect means a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
That is gonna be a nice ride when it's done. My vote is red on the interior and I think the LS swap is awesome. When I would take my Buick to the BOP show in Scottsdale and talk about swapping for an LS motor the purist would want to ban you from the show!
People over on the Buick board are not impressed with the LS1 for sure. The more open minded ones have suggested I disguise it to look like a nailhead. I can understand that to a point, but if Buick were to wake up and do a performance car today, it would no doubt have an LSX in it, just like Cadillac is doing with their V Series cars.

What cracks me up is the number of Cheby engines you see in fords. Putting a Chevy in a ford is far closer to blasphemy than a Chevy in a Buick, and I'm not a ford guy by any stretch.

This car had a 2bbl 301 and it would be easier to find Sasquatch than performance parts for it. The car was fun to drive but it was begging for more power after the suspension was fixed. I can't wait to drive it.

Last edited by Zoomin; 02-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #163
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Thanks Stickman. Glad to get affirmation on the red, cuz I ordered it.

I got schooled again on how vehement the Buick purists can be. Get this - I'm surfing through ebay and see a set of valve covers that might work. I decide to send the seller a message that reads as follows:
Regarding the i Buick nailhead valve covers, can you give me the dimensions on those? The reason I ask is I am putting an LS1 in my Skylark and want to give it a Buick identity.

You also have a set of green nailhead valve covers that may work too, depending on size. If you have any others that would serve the purpose, please let me know.

Thanks for your assistance!
The instant after I press the send key, I wonder to myself if I should have included the bit about the LS. My concerns were sure enough justified as this response from the guy shows:
Are you serious?? Just keep the hood closed, better than deceiving others into thinking your running a Buick engine.. With all the excellent Buick engines available why down grade your car? If you want amazing power bolt in a 455 Buick, easy 500 fpt and 450 hp and then you won't have to put fake valve covers on it. I am sorry, it is your car and you can do what you want but this just strikes a nerve in Buick lovers and sounds like you are a chevy lover and don't feel like you are raping the car. .
Dayumm! Stepped right in a puddle of it, right there.

About an hour later (1:00 am) he sends another email with the dimensions.

Right about now, I'm thinking I better stand far away from my car any place the hood might be up.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:39 AM   #164
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 AM   #165
russgoodman

Coming along nicely! I've had to deal with some of those crazy Buick purists too. Alot of the idiots got mad and boycotted the Buick nationals in the late 80s since the turbo 6 cars were taking over (or so I've heard).

2008 GMC Sierra Denali - 6.2L AWD - my daily
2011 Ford Flex Limited - Ecoboost AWD - wife's daily
1987 Buick Regal Turbo T - 63K miles - Strip/Street car
1965 Ford Mustang Coupe - 289, c4, 53K miles
russgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #166
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

The headers came in today. Headman Huslers.

Kyle had to trim the Dirty Dingo mounts to move the engine a bit so he didn't have to dimple the headers to get them in. Still had to trim a bit off the control arm mount to get them to clear, but theyre on.

Now that those are in place, the front end can start coming together.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #167
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

With the headers ad tranny lines in, it's time to hang the front end.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #168
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Got the Moser rear end last week. Eaton posi, 3.73's, narrowed 1-1/2" on each side.

Interior came in.

Rear brakes installed

Ride height is next to be worked on. It will settle some but it still high, so gonna fix that. Ordered a 255/35R19 to do some test fitting so the wheels can be ordered.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #169
mcbassin
Still Learning

I got to check this puppy out the other day. Man, it is going to be the nicest Skylark ever. It should get up and go and stop on a dime with all those goodies.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #170
CAL 58 GMC

Your Buick is looking really nice. I like what you have done so far!
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #171
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
I got to check this puppy out the other day. Man, it is going to be the nicest Skylark ever. It should get up and go and stop on a dime with all those goodies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
Your Buick is looking really nice. I like what you have done so far!
Thanks guys!

More suspension goodies showed up this week, so will be hoping to get Ruth dialed in.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:31 AM   #172
Roadhouse

Amazing!!
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #173
CAL 58 GMC

What size wheels do you have on it now?
Old 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #174
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
Amazing!!
Thank you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC View Post
What size wheels do you have on it now?
Those are 17X7. I narrowed the rear 1-1/2" on each side to get some more dish on the the next set of wheels.

I was wanting to go 10's but don't want interference issues. As you can see, I've got some room to fill.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #175
CAL 58 GMC

Quote:
Thank you sir!

Those are 17X7. I narrowed the rear 1-1/2" on each side to get some more dish on the the next set of wheels.

I was wanting to go 10's but don't want interference issues. As you can see, I've got some room to fill.

Okay, I'm not sure if the wheels I have on my Chevelle is something you like but I have 2 20X10 with a 5.0 back space from the first set of wheels that stuck out by an inch too far. If your interested in them I'll give you a good deal. They are new still in the box. If not, that's cool.