The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #151
special-K
Special Order

Re: ATHS National Show '15

I don't know who the owner is. If they are an ATHS member you may be able to show the picture on their forum and ask. Later in the year they put out an issue with every truck entered called Showtime. It tells each owner's name and where they are from. Might get somewhere with that (months from now), if all else fails

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-27-2015 at 08:07 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #152
JPBrecheisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I don't know who the owner is. If they are an ATHS member you may be able to show the picture on there forum and ask. Later in the year they put out an issue with every truck entered called Showtime. It tells each owner's name and where they are from. Might get somewhere with that (months from now), if all else fails
Appreciate the tip. I'll give it a try.

Jonathon
JPBrecheisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #153
jeff mcleod

Tim,
No we did not meet. It would have been good to do that for sure.
jeff mcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #154
jeff mcleod

Some more pictures.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #155
special-K
Special Order

That little Bighorn had me scratching my head. Did they make the whole front end or just alter? Never looked it over enough to tell (or speak with the owner)

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #156
jeff mcleod

I didn't look at the big horn alot. Spent some time checking out the little pete. We where told a cool 125,000.00 could take the pete home.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #157
44th Miss Inf

My father and I had planned to drive up from Mississippi, but it didn't work out. He has been a Member at Large for years, but just recently joined the Bayou State Chapter, but is already talking to a few people about forming a chapter here in Mississippi as there is none.
44th Miss Inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #158
special-K
Special Order

^^^ Hey, that would be great if you all started a Mississippi chapter. I'm sorry you missed the show. I almost went with friends from our chapter to the Huntsville show a handful of years back, but had to bow out. I image you where there? The show should be somewhere nearer to you soon. Not sure where it goes after Oregon. I imagine either central, N/E or S/E. Probably not N/E cuz it was in Massachusetts not long ago and York was Mid-Atlantic...close enough for those guys.

Macungie, the ATCA national meet was last weekend and I didn't go. I just learned my buddy I always go with didn't either. But, he said it was rainy anyway. I went to visit my mom, which was overdue. She's not gettin' any younger.
'09 was one wet S.O.B. up there

Good thing this guy was there. He had a fun time:

Tim

Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #159
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Wow! I just stumbled on this thread. What a cool show. I know jack about most of the big trucks, but I do know that I really love them lol.

Salem next year ... I hope I can remember that. Its several hours away, but I would definitely make that trip in 2016.

Thanks for the pics, a lot of work to post, but Im glad you took the time.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #160
44th Miss Inf

Yes, went to Huntsville.

My father has B61, B68 and B75 Macks and plans to have one in a show soon, but more of a "work class"

Had a small local show in Ruston, LA last month, but after discussion, we will join in with the big car show in Oct (put on by a friend of one of the Ruston ATHS members) so hopefully can get a good draw.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #161
junkmandan3

Salem, Oregon, Des Moines in 2017 and Lexington,Kentucky in 2018 .

If You're not familiar with the 2 major truck organizations, the American Truck Historical Society has about 20,000 members worldwide and the Antique Truck club of America has about 6000 members, mostly east of the Mississippi . Go to your local Tractor Supply and buy a copy of Wheels of Time, the ATHS magazine and/or Double Clutch , which is the mag for ATCA . Both will have listing of local clubs and shows in your area .........

ATHS rotates their national show and meeting to the 3 major regions of the USA. ATCA hosts their show and meeting in Macungie, PA on Father's Day weekend every year .
junkmandan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #162
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Wow! I just stumbled on this thread. What a cool show. I know jack about most of the big trucks, but I do know that I really love them lol.

Salem next year ... I hope I can remember that. Its several hours away, but I would definitely make that trip in 2016.

Thanks for the pics, a lot of work to post, but Im glad you took the time.
Yeah, they were posting really slow when I did all this. Sometimes it's almost instant. I'm glad you stumbled across this thread. I think you would like the show in Salem. I'm just an enthusiast of the large trucks. Always have been, yet never owned anything more than a Medium Duty. The more you look the more you learn. Not to mention everyone is willing to talk to you about their trucks or anything you want to know. These shows are unjudged and you have to appreciate what it takes to bring these trucks out for the sake of sharing. It's the friendliest bunch of people you could meet. Not limited to larger trucks, either. That's how we can fit in. There is the trucking industry history element, which fascinates me, but this is all about all things vintage truck from a quarter century back to the beginning. I hope you make that show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
Yes, went to Huntsville.

My father has B61, B68 and B75 Macks and plans to have one in a show soon, but more of a "work class"

Had a small local show in Ruston, LA last month, but after discussion, we will join in with the big car show in Oct (put on by a friend of one of the Ruston ATHS members) so hopefully can get a good draw.
I love the working trucks...or work class. One thing I like is it's anything from in off the road with a load to museum quality. I love them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkmandan3 View Post
Salem, Oregon, Des Moines in 2017 and Lexington,Kentucky in 2018 .

If You're not familiar with the 2 major truck organizations, the American Truck Historical Society has about 20,000 members worldwide and the Antique Truck club of America has about 6000 members, mostly east of the Mississippi . Go to your local Tractor Supply and buy a copy of Wheels of Time, the ATHS magazine and/or Double Clutch , which is the mag for ATCA . Both will have listing of local clubs and shows in your area .........

ATHS rotates their national show and meeting to the 3 major regions of the USA. ATCA hosts their show and meeting in Macungie, PA on Father's Day weekend every year .
Thanks for posting all that, Dan. I have wanted to let you know how disgusted with myself I am that I didn't manage to meet you when you were right there. I should have contacted you prior to the show to exchange phone numbers. I was foolish to think I would run into you there, looking back. I asked Mel and others about you. I knew you were on a blue (I think) power chair, which I figured with the knee situation you've been dealing with. But those guys were so busy it was just a quick word or two and off they went. Then, the last day I was tied up with parking all day. It hit me that morning I had probably already missed my chance. So many good people from all over and I met more than I can recall. My only disappointment was not meeting you. I spend too much time here as it is, I rarely ever go to any other sites. I guess my knowledge is in the li'l ole four wheelers I drive and work out of and this place is my home site. I am glad we at least managed to get this area started on this site, though. For where it is it's come long fairly well. It was a good move for the administrators here and I am sure grateful

Tim

Old 06-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #163
C10 - C90 Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I am glad we at least managed to get this area started on this site, though. For where it is it's come long fairly well. It was a good move for the administrators here and I am sure grateful
I sure do agree. We sure did wait a long time for it and in my opinion, it turned out to be the best site of it's kind anywhere.

Also very well run and one of the most friendliest sites to boot.
C10 - C90 Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:50 PM   #164
junkmandan3

Tim------I have faith we'll meet some day in Mt. Airy, Sykesville, Winchester, or Fredrick shows. Although our trips to Sykesville are not as frequent, as our 2 grandsons are grown up, younger one at U of M in College Park .
My power chair is a red Jazzy with big drive wheels letting me go most anyplace. I was at York from Wed. 2:30 through Saturday 4:30, but with many last minute changes of plans, i forgot all about special cell #s.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:33 PM   #165
special-K
Special Order

Me, too. I've done that before with a member from here at a local cruise-in. I forgot to even ask what vehicle to look for so I could wait by it. And I had no idea what he looked like. The same for him, so we were both there but didn't know it. I realized it once I git there, "What does this guy look like and what is he driving?" I looked around and left. I had to laugh. That's the thing with the internet. You can make friends with people, yet have no idea what they look like or even what they sound like. And I forgot about your family near me. Wait, I'm the younger guy. You're the one who's supposed to be forgetting (heh heh...just kidding). Like I said, with parking trucks all day Saturday, which I wasn't sure I'd be doing till early that morning, I had already missed my chance to meet you on Friday. I helped a friend run his trucks up there and it was mid-day Thursday when we got there, was supposed to be Wednesday evening but he pushed it back. I hope this surgery fixed you up good.

Tim

Old 07-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #166
greg64

Tim, I just wanted to thank you for your effort in posting all those pictures. I'm just a closet "big truck lover", but am now thinking I'll have to make it to one of these shows someday.
greg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #167
special-K
Special Order

There are trucks of all sizes and types from throughout the years that served one purpose or another. Many symbolize an era gone by, like door to door delivery or, for that matter, cab-over trucks. It's really special seeing them all together. There are no trophies. These guys go through all this just out of the love of trucks and it's the friendliest place on earth to be. I'm sure you've felt that at an event before. It doesn't get better than that!

Tim

Old 07-01-2015, 11:52 PM   #168
jumpsoffrock

Awesome pictures Tim, so many different types of trucks.

Odd question, would you happen to know about what year the Detroit Diesels started using turbos, specifically in the larger trucks that would regularly have them by the 1970's-80's???

P.S. Tim, what do you drive to the show?
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:27 AM   #169
GM72K10
Next!

thanks for all the pictures!
86 K30 C&C 6.2 4:56s, 4M, 11,000 gvw, ex fire truck, now lowboy dump
More square bodies and CUCVs than I care to admit to
2020 Silverado K3500HD Work truck
GM72K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #170
special-K
Special Order

I'm glad to see the pictures appreciated. That's all I care. These pictures are for all to enjoy. You just don't see this stuff around much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Awesome pictures Tim, so many different types of trucks.

Odd question, would you happen to know about what year the Detroit Diesels started using turbos, specifically in the larger trucks that would regularly have them by the 1970's-80's???

P.S. Tim, what do you drive to the show?
The person to give you an answer that you can bank on being accurate would be Junkyardman3. He was a regional rep for Detroit Diesel.

I drove my Canon Powershot . No, I'm at the small end with my '72 K2500. I don't own anything big. The biggest thing I've taken to a show is the '71 custom/30 tow truck I had. My '72 had the front end torn apart (started with a stuck caliper) during this show and I drove my friend's '54 Chevy shortbed...that yellow and cream one with chrome smoothies in a picture or two. I followed him in his '58 Reo box truck you see all painted up...he's a sign painter/pinstriper/airbrush artist

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-02-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #171
44th Miss Inf

While no where near comparable to York, a few pictures of the Ruston show.

The dark green 61 KW on right is a friend's and it is still worked daily

Old 07-02-2015, 11:43 AM   #172
junkmandan3

Jumps off rock----------I assume that's your Indian name----A little known fact on turbocharged GM diesels is that 4 and 6-71s were installed in GMC trucks in 1957. Look for 800-860 brochures from 57-58 and also 900 conventional spec sheets from that era . the must have not been very successful as they seemingly disappeared for 10-15 years . Then the 8V71T appeared around 1971, followed by the 6-71T a few years later. I sold DDA at the Cleveland branch of Great Lakes Diesel, later WW Williams Co.from 1972-1986, and never heard of the early turbocharged applications til I bought GMC and GM Diesel literature in the last 15 years . .
Old 07-02-2015, 08:04 PM   #173
jumpsoffrock

Thanks for the reply Tim.

Quote:
Jumps off rock----------I assume that's your Indian name----A little known fact on turbocharged GM diesels is that 4 and 6-71s were installed in GMC trucks in 1957. Look for 800-860 brochures from 57-58 and also 900 conventional spec sheets from that era . the must have not been very successful as they seemingly disappeared for 10-15 years . Then the 8V71T appeared around 1971, followed by the 6-71T a few years later. I sold DDA at the Cleveland branch of Great Lakes Diesel, later WW Williams Co.from 1972-1986, and never heard of the early turbocharged applications til I bought GMC and GM Diesel literature in the last 15 years . .
Hmmm, it's pretty cool that big-tim turbocharging got big with trucks first, then went into cars. ...But I am sometimes a little puzzled why it took so long to really get a grip. I mean.....some of those heavy haulers from the 1940's-50's must have really been dogs when climbing a grade with 40k lbs.

Thanks for the info guys.
jumpsoffrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #174
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44th Miss Inf View Post
While no where near comparable to York, a few pictures of the Ruston show.

The dark green 61 KW on right is a friend's and it is still worked daily
That's cool the '61 is still earning it's keep. Not a bad gathering. Thanks for sharing. No local show compares to any national show. I remember the Mason-Dixon gathering being that size. In fact, that was when I first saw Junktardman's '69 C3500 and took an under hood shot because something looked a bit "off". Our chapter has grown since and I think a lot of that has to do with fellow member Mel Fair. Not only is he a very friendly outgoing well spoken feller, he was service manager at central Maryland's International dealer/service center (who serviced anything Cat, Cummins, Detroit)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsoffrock View Post
Hmmm, it's pretty cool that big-tim turbocharging got big with trucks first, then went into cars. ...But I am sometimes a little puzzled why it took so long to really get a grip. I mean.....some of those heavy haulers from the 1940's-50's must have really been dogs when climbing a grade with 40k lbs.
Thanks for the info guys.
So, where or when do superchargers fit in?

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 07-03-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:23 PM   #175
Mayo
Cool Truck

That seems like it was an awesome show, I wish I had known about it.

Looking for a patina'd 68 50th Anniversary longbed
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote