The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #1726
Kim57

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Very nice color.
Kim
Old 02-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #1727
Flysocal

I'm looking forward to seeing that paint on your truck. I'm looking at a similar color for my build. Corvette precision red. Red just looks so damn good on these older trucks!

3 things make or break these builds: Paint, wheels, stance. All of which are subjective.
Flysocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:27 PM   #1728
58CameoAZ

That Color is going to look really nice!

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #1729
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Color looks great Dan!

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:09 PM   #1730
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for the kind words you guys!

I'm NOT going to put the deluxe stainless trim on the cab. For anyone who read this thread earlier on, you know I LIKE shiny (ha ha) but I want to keep it simple and I don't much like the idea of holes in the body - even though it'll never see a conventional hose & bucket washing and likely little or no rain after its done. But I may use the "chrome" lock strip in the back window rubber and the chrome trim around the windshield only.

It's occurred to me to handle the dash a little differently since I'm not installing the '55 car dash afterall Maybe paint the lower half another color and also the strip around the cab. Like this:

Possibly a rich off white or a champagne.....but these are only idea at this point. I'm going to live with it awhile as a completed project and decide later.

Ideas, suggestions, opinions appreciated.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-22-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #1731
58CameoAZ

Hey Dan,

Always liked how you did your door panels! maybe the accent with the champagne
color into the door panels also? just a Thought!
I am sure its going to look great when its done
Excited for you and cant wait to see it in color.

Allen
Old 02-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #1732
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
Hey Dan,

Always liked how you did your door panels! maybe the accent with the champagne
color into the door panels also? just a Thought!
I am sure its going to look great when its done
Excited for you and cant wait to see it in color.

Allen
Oh thanks Allen. Yeah, I really ended up liking my Sage green/Celery combo back in the day too. This for those that don't remember/don't wanna go back 5 years (eek!) on this thread:

So much that I briefly considered doing the truck permanently in it. I wouldn't have regretted it, just that I love red. Oh well.

If anyone remembers how I painted the raised rib on the door panels silver, it's occurred to me to have the door panel chromed then only allow the raised rib to be exposed. Sorta/kinda duplicating my old look. Then use a champagne or rich cream on the inset of the raised rib and the lower part of door in red carpet or the same champagne/cream to match. Anyway, just ideas floating around in my empty skull!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-22-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:59 PM   #1733
MBrown

That color is going to look great! The cream and red usually make a beautiful combo.
MBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #1734
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
That color is going to look great! The cream and red usually make a beautiful combo.
Thanks. Not SURE I'm going to do it, but thinking about it. Since it's a dark red I wonder if cream is the right color or something else? Time will tell.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #1735
58CameoAZ

I think you are on the right track with a Cream, Beige or even the champagne color
Kinda the Beauty of the Red you picked out, it really looks good with an accent color,
I think the Chrome highlight detail you did would look KILLER with the red you are going with and an accent color! Its going to look Good Dan.
just my 2cents,
Allen

I always admired the chrome accent you did and already have thought of it on my two trucks!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #1736
Dan in Pasadena

You realize the "chrome" accent I did on my door panels was just rattle can paint, right? I remember being almost embarrassed to post it. But I liked it so I figured, "What the hell!" ha ha.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #1737
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
You realize the "chrome" accent I did on my door panels was just rattle can paint, right? I remember being almost embarrassed to post it. But I liked it so I figured, "What the hell!" ha ha.
Yes Sir, Chrome in a Can! Lol I think it looked good and complemented
the interior, Hell, look at the Guys who accent the sides of the Cameo Trim in paint! The one truck that comes to mind is the Orange Custom with the side's
that look like a Belair datail all done in paint from front to back!

Your's you did looked Good Dan.

Allen
Old 02-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #1738
Dan in Pasadena

Nothing like a little cheap faux bling. IF it "works" lol

Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #1739
MBrown

I think the truck is going to turn out GREAT regardless of the paint scheme.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:54 PM   #1740
Russell Ashley

Dan, I'm enjoying following your build. It's going to be extra nice, and aren't you happy now that you decided to just do it. That red paint is going to keep you from getting noticed, NOT!!. I'm like you about the shiny stuff, I want it all. I have the cab trim already bought but I'm also having second thoughts about installing it. I'm going to ask my son if he can come up with a better way to install it maybe using panel adhesive inside the trim somehow.. I'll just use the shiny lock strip if he doesn't get the trim mounted.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM   #1741
MBrown

Dan, whats the fill for the fuel tank going to look like? trying to pick out a tank for my '59, thanks for any help.

Mark
Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM   #1742
Dan in Pasadena

Hi Russ! Thanks for posting.
I've been thinking about mounting the deluxe trim without drilling holes. I have an idea but it may be hard to picture from a written description.

Whatever tape they use to mount badges on modern cars is pretty amazing stuff. I thought about using small thin blocks of aluminum with this badge tape on both flat sides then sticking these blocks where the factory holes would go. The tape on the face of the blocks would adhere to the INSIDE of the back of the trim so it would still be tight to the body surface.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-23-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #1743
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown View Post
Dan, whats the fill for the fuel tank going to look like? trying to pick out a tank for my '59, thanks for any help.

Mark
It'll look like this:

This is JJ's (ChuckDriver). You can't go wrong copying the stuff he does. He's not finished, his truck is in-progress but whether it's who he had graft in his clip, the color of his Rally wheels, his Impala dashboard or the color he chose for his bedwood, you won't go wrong following his lead.

I may get to this before he does but I'm going to rout the wood slightly to allow this fill bowl to sit flush with the wood surface. And I'm going to polish both this bowl and the gas cap. Tanks, Inc. Asks $30 for the bowl but I strongly suspect your local Lowe's or Home Cheapo sell kitchen sink drains for garbage disposals that are the same thing and probably sell for less than $10.

Most guys use one of these or a billet door:

I LIKE these & I like the billet doors too. But everyone ones them so i want something littel different. It's why i did my door panels as i did, painted my stock gauge clusterface green to match the way my truck used to look, etc. Before I get blasted for "Everyone is doin an LS" - yeah, you're right. But only SBC's have the nickname "belly buttons" And yes, red an five spoke mags have been done to death. I reserve the right to be in to use with my female side in building my truck and to be totally illogical!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-23-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #1744
MBrown

HAHA, you're right! do it the way you want and to heck with anyone's opinion! Can't wait to see it finished.

Mark
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #1745
Dan in Pasadena

Me too I'm telling the painter & Mike it's GOTTA be done by April 1 - start of baseball season. But being in construction and working to schedules constantly I know it'll likely slip. If it's TOTALLY done and at home by Memorial Day I'll be happy to have it for the entire summer.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:51 PM   #1746
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

You're to kind Dan, thanks!

I'm just trying to keep up with you now!!

I thought about the deluxe cab trim for awhile too. My truck had it at one time, as the holes are already in the cab and drivers door. I have a repro-set that I've been holding on to for years, seem to do that a lot!

If you don't want to drill the holes I think the 3M trim adhesive would do the trick. You could probably fill the back of the trim in a few spots with JB Weld or another product called All-Metal? Just put enough to keep a slim gap between the trim and the paint.

I found another interior shot for you.

Attached Images

ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:10 PM   #1747
Dan in Pasadena

Hi JJ,

Ha, your mind and mine are in tune in a lot of ways. I have that EXACT same photo saved in my "Interior Ideas" photo folder. But thank you of course for posting it for me.

Not being kind, I just like pretty much everything you do on your truck. Looks like the owner installed the Dakota Digital VHX series gauges too - which I like but not sure about veering so far from the stock "look".

P.S. A blob (nicely done of course) of JB Weld inside the deluxe trim would probably work and would certainly be easier than my aluminum block idea - good thinking. That said, chances are i wont install the trim but will install the chrome lock strip. Personally, I dont care for using both. Sometimes you just have to know when to "lift the brush" and i already fear I've done too many things.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #1748
Dan in Pasadena

Friday, January 24, 2017

The front & rear suspension is installed for the final time. New leaf spring pins were installed with new zerks and greased.

The rollers on the rear - are only 14's so I was shocked they fit. I have to go with 17's up front to clear the calipers otherwise I'd put 15's back to get a taller sidewall height.

The new 3.73 ring & pinion is installed and properly setup and the Moser aluminum differential cover is on.

The Holley intake and throttle body are permanently installed - the fuel rails will be shortly. The EGR flanges and assorted junk have been shaved from the exhaust manifolds. They'll get a little more smoothing then go to Jet Hot for silver ceramic coating.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 02-24-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #1749
Dan in Pasadena

Stopped by the body shop to see if Marcos wanted the small interior items since he is painting the cab interior first. Things like glove box door, ashtray, kick panel vents, door & windshield garnish molding. He said it'll all get painted later.

But the entire cab is sanded and ready for color. It SHOULD get paint next week (fingers crossed).

Old 02-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #1750
Kim57

Looking real good.
Kim