The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #1751
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Might I suggest going with a little darker shade of silver/grey for a great contrast and to make it all pop real good... just a thought...
I may just do that, Dan. Always good to have some definition between the parts. Plus the darker color won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Doc put in some numbing drops and took the four stitches out of my eye today. Man does it feel great after those drops go in. Unfortunately, I can tell they're wearing off and it won't be long before I'm back doing the spastic itchy dance. Took advantage of the feel good time and did some more assembly. With everything loose, the front to back X measurement is only off 3/8" and I haven't even tried to move it yet. I'm confident when I get back on it tomorrow I'll be snugging down fasteners before you know it.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #1752
Elliot949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
I may just do that, Dan. Always good to have some definition between the parts. Plus the darker color won't stick out like a sore thumb.

Doc put in some numbing drops and took the four stitches out of my eye today. Man does it feel great after those drops go in. Unfortunately, I can tell they're wearing off and it won't be long before I'm back doing the spastic itchy dance. Took advantage of the feel good time and did some more assembly. With everything loose, the front to back X measurement is only off 3/8" and I haven't even tried to move it yet. I'm confident when I get back on it tomorrow I'll be snugging down fasteners before you know it.
I am definitely going to have to drive up to see this...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #1753
tune_1

Glad to hear that your eye is doing better. Great work on the frame.

Dwight
tune_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:54 PM   #1754
sduckworth13

The frame looks beautiful Vic! Nice work!
Old 10-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #1755
Low Elco

Looks mucho bueno!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #1756
7dee2

Wow look at that, beauty!
72 Cheyenne/K30 Super 133" DRW SOLD Build:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645614
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@6dee7-7dee2
7dee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #1757
jlsanborn

I've been away for a bit and just catching up here. Glad to hear your well into your recovery and have been able to get some done in the shop. The powder is fantastic. This is going to be a jaw dropping roller here in no time! I'm probably as anxious as you are to see more
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 08:12 PM   #1758
Vic1947

Thanks, everyone. I've been puttering around a bit more in the shop hanging parts on the frame and getting subassemblies ready. I installed the new posi unit with a 3.73 gear into the rearend. I also upgraded the cover to a TA with the preload bolts. The rear disc brake setup from CPP has been giving me fits though. The pads are a bit too thick to fit over the rotors. The piston in the caliper was retracted as far as it would go, so I called their tech line to see what they had to say. The tech wearily explained that the e-brake required adjusting and pointed me to a tech bulletin online. Problem is, to get the piston to retract enough, you have to remove the retainer clip that holds the inside pad. Even then, the fit is still too tight. I'm of the opinion the pads are the main culprit, so I may have to cruise the auto parts to see if I can find a set that's thinner.

The next problem was the spacer for the disc brake bracket. It's also too thick which means the caliper won't go onto the bracket. The spacer is .400" thick and needs to be more like .250" but CPP only offers the one version. The tech said the flanges on the axle tubes are not consistent and they see this from time to time. He suggested cutting the spacers down... which I can do since I have a mill, but you have to wonder why they don't offer spacers in various widths. Besides, what's a person supposed to do if they don't have a mill? Paying a shop to do it can be expensive. And water jet cutting them out of thinner material probably wouldn't be very cost effective either. I really hate spending good money on parts then having to hack them up to get them to fit.

I ended up deciding to keep the suspension parts black instead of painting them a dark grey metallic color. So much of the stuff was already powder coated black I figured it was easier. No one will know the difference except us chickens.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #1759
swamp rat

Wow Vic, what a shame on that CCP stuff, I think the least they could do is offer different thickness spacers and even shims, it would be even better if it was all in the kit! I have been super interested in this brake kit too see how it works out with the E brake.

Glad to see your making strides again!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #1760
Xeen

This is gonna be the nicest DD pickup around.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #1761
bevis1

Tough to tell from the pic, but those housing flanges don't appear to be over .150" thicker than "normal"
bevis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM   #1762
Low Elco

Geez. What a PITA.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #1763
Boog
laying low

I had a similar issue with my dropped spindles and stock disc brakes. The caliper wouldn't open up far enough to put in new disc pads. For now I put the worn pads back in. Do aftermarket disc pads possibly vary in thickness?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #1764
jlsanborn

Same here on the fronts. I had to take the little thin plates off the back of my new pads to get the calipers on?

Nice work on the rear end Vic! I'll have to investigate that diff cover you used.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #1765
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Wow Vic, what a shame on that CCP stuff, I think the least they could do is offer different thickness spacers and even shims, it would be even better if it was all in the kit! I have been super interested in this brake kit too see how it works out with the E brake.

Glad to see your making strides again!
I agree it would make sense to include or at least offer different spacers, Mike, especially since they know about the problem. Overall the kit's good quality and should do the job without breaking a sweat. The calipers are 80-85 Cadillac Seville with optional e-brake setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
This is gonna be the nicest DD pickup around.
Thanks, Brian, we hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevis1 View Post
Tough to tell from the pic, but those housing flanges don't appear to be over .150" thicker than "normal"
Hey Rickster, you're correct that the flanges are the same thickness side to side. However, the guy at CPP said the problem was related to where the flanges were installed on the axle tube, not the flange thickness. In the end, I milled .125" off the spacer on the driver side to make it fit. The passenger side fell into place with no mods to the spacer or pads. I also removed .050" from both brake pads on the driver side, but once I got the caliper piston retracted all the way, it turns out that wouldn't have been necessary. So that side will wear out first and when it's time to replace the pads, the off the shelf pieces should be fine.

One other thing that could have been a factor is the differential. Differences in gear sets and where the C-clip pocket ends up after setting backlash could cause the axles to be biased toward one side or the other. The rotors would follow along and you'd possibly have caliper fitment issues. I don't see that accounting for 1/8" of offset but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Geez. What a PITA.
No kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
I had a similar issue with my dropped spindles and stock disc brakes. The caliper wouldn't open up far enough to put in new disc pads. For now I put the worn pads back in. Do aftermarket disc pads possibly vary in thickness?
OK, confession time... After milling the new inner and outer pads .050" and discovering it wasn't needed, I was wringing my hands about having one side slightly thinner than the other so I went to the store and bought a new set of pads. They were about .030" thinner than the pads that came with the kit, so based on that I'd say, yes, aftermarket could very well be different thicknesses. The pads I got, however, were for a non e-brake caliper and weren't usable so I returned them and stuck with what I had. Gaaaaaaak!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Same here on the fronts. I had to take the little thin plates off the back of my new pads to get the calipers on?

Nice work on the rear end Vic! I'll have to investigate that diff cover you used.
I haven't setup the fronts yet, so I'll post how it goes in a day or two.

It's a nice cover but it doesn't quite clear the "stock" panhard bar with the suspension all the way down. I either need to modify my bar or get one of those relocation kits with the longer bar. Stay tuned.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2016, 06:15 PM   #1766
Vic1947

New rolling stock arrived today. PVD coated AR TT2's, 18x8 fronts, 18x10 rears, with Sumitomo Z rated tires. Now I really gotta get the rest of the suspension assembled.
Attached Images

Old 10-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #1767
Bennett68C10

Nice looking wheels Vic!

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 PM   #1768
Orange67

Vic, I love your build! Amazing stuff man. I really love the TTII's, love the dark or black chrome look. Awesome!

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:00 PM   #1769
jeh

Looking good Vic, nice choice on the wheels also. That really stinks when you pay good money for parts and still end up with a struggle to get them to work...
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #1770
Xeen

Vic I purchased CPP's Deluxe bent bar and it adds a good deal of clearance and it should even clear that monster cover.
Don't hold me to it but if I remember I will get a picture with a tape showing how much clearance there is with it installed.

Last edited by Xeen; 10-18-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 03:45 AM   #1771
swamp rat

Love then wheels!!!! style and color both!

I admit I debated on the caddy calipers but read some horror stories on the forum here about them, something about if you don't set them very frequently they end up malfunctioning somehow. If I start hearing more good stories about them then I may be persuaded to give them a go in the near future.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #1772
mcbassin
Still Learning

Killer choice of wheels and tires! congrats on those puppies
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #1773
Low Elco

Spiffy!
Old 10-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #1774
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Nice looking wheels Vic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
Vic, I love your build! Amazing stuff man. I really love the TTII's, love the dark or black chrome look. Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
Looking good Vic, nice choice on the wheels also. That really stinks when you pay good money for parts and still end up with a struggle to get them to work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
Vic I purchased CPP's Deluxe bent bar and it adds a good deal of clearance and it should even clear that monster cover.
Don't hold me to it but if I remember I will get a picture with a tape showing how much clearance there is with it installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Love then wheels!!!! style and color both!

I admit I debated on the caddy calipers but read some horror stories on the forum here about them, something about if you don't set them very frequently they end up malfunctioning somehow. If I start hearing more good stories about them then I may be persuaded to give them a go in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Killer choice of wheels and tires! congrats on those puppies
Thanks everyone! Here's some progress photos. The CPP bent panhard bar went in with no issues... for which I'm grateful. There were a couple of minor issues with the dust shields on the front brakes, but nothing a flap disc couldn't remedy.

As you can see, the suspension is pretty much assembled. Had to modify the SS lines I'd bought for the drum brakes because the line kit that came with the CPP rear brakes seemed more suitable for a Studebaker. Not a problem, though. I just cut about 5" off the original lines and re-flared them. A few tweaks here and there and they worked out great. Besides, I'd rather have the SS lines than plain steel anyway.

From here, the next step is to get the AccuAir E-level remounted and the lines run. Once I get air in the bags, I'll be able to move on to the engine. I took the intake and coil covers to Precision this week for paint. I'll be posting up some photos of the March serpentine drive as I install it. Stay tuned.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #1775
Vic1947

More pics...

I think the 18's are about the right size wheels for this brake package. 20's really need bigger calipers and rotors to fill the space behind the rims. Just my $.02 worth.
Attached Images