The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-06-2021, 12:08 AM   #1
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Knocking out a few things on the truck lately, first up is the Altman easy latches my wife snagged me for Christmas. Overall, I have to say I’m happy with them, though I did end up modifying them to look/fit better (in my opinion). The doors do close better than before, but the latches didn’t completely cure having to break in new weatherstripping, aka, I still have to slam the door...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Also grabbed these super nice stainless and delrin tailgate hinges from tdtrunniondesign.com. They are super smooth and quiet when opening/closing the gate, but what I really want is for it to be quiet when I drive over bumps... we’ll see. If nothing else, I’ve eliminated the factory rusty pieces.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 01-06-2021, 12:26 AM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

...and I’m now in the middle of a rear-end rebuild, due to some leakiness, noisiness, and one-wheel-peeliness The housing is gutted and the 3.73s are making way for 4.10s and a Yukon posi, with all new bearings and seals.

Last pic is of my homemade pinion depth measurement tool; beats the heck out of paying $200 for a one-time use specialty tool. It’s a simple straight edge with some strategically located holes for the digital calipers to reach through. Should save some time on the initial gear setup.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 01-06-2021, 02:08 AM   #4
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Knocking out a few things on the truck lately, first up is the Altman easy latches my wife snagged me for Christmas. Overall, I have to say I’m happy with them, though I did end up modifying them to look/fit better (in my opinion). The doors do close better than before, but the latches didn’t completely cure having to break in new weatherstripping, aka, I still have to slam the door...
All the updates are looking good! Do you think the change to the Altman will affect its overall strength or function? Enjoying the progress!
Old 01-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #5
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
All the updates are looking good! Do you think the change to the Altman will affect its overall strength or function? Enjoying the progress!
Thanks man! The original design wraps around the door frame and tucks under the door panel, which I didn’t really care for. The only issue I could foresee after looking at it is maybe some slight misalignment issues on initial setup, but it is very secure and looks much better with that piece removed, IMO.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 01-07-2021, 01:14 AM   #6
ajgriffin

Quote:
Thanks man! The original design wraps around the door frame and tucks under the door panel, which I didn’t really care for. The only issue I could foresee after looking at it is maybe some slight misalignment issues on initial setup, but it is very secure and looks much better with that piece removed, IMO.
I agree 100%. It doesn't look like it does anything other than ensure alignment as you alluded to since there aren't any bolts in the wrap around and there's stamping on the piece that you kept for rigidity sake. Seems like a rock solid upgrade to me Might just have to borrow that when my time comes
Old 02-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
mcm1209

Just went through the entire thread! WOW great work. I'm just starting my build. This has given me so many ideas my wallet is gonna hurt! Wife says thanks!! lol
mcm1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #8
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm1209 View Post
Just went through the entire thread! WOW great work. I'm just starting my build. This has given me so many ideas my wallet is gonna hurt! Wife says thanks!! lol
Haha, you’re welcome. If not for this forum, my truck would look entirely different than it does now, and not in a good way. Just paying it forward

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 PM   #9
TA_C10

Quote:
Haha, you’re welcome. If not for this forum, my truck would look entirely different than it does now, and not in a good way. Just paying it forward
I hear that man... I wouldn't have made it half as far as I am so far and I'm nowhere close to your build. This forum has led me to so many resources I'm so grateful.

Gringo your truck is sounding good, sitting good, and rolling good. Thanks for giving back man.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

I'm glad you didn't crush that beer...with the bumper. Truck looks and sounds great.
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:43 PM   #11
clay68c10

Sounds great and looks great!
I can't wait to be shifting thru the gears in mine.
I did a mid-shift conversion on mine, and just by feel (on the bench) the shifter throws are a bit shorter than in the rear position. Maybe so you can have a longer lever and not end up with a huge throw.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #12
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA_C10 View Post
I hear that man... I wouldn't have made it half as far as I am so far and I'm nowhere close to your build. This forum has led me to so many resources I'm so grateful.

Gringo your truck is sounding good, sitting good, and rolling good. Thanks for giving back man.

Much appreciated. This is why we’re here. You guys get me, others maybe notsomuch
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Stepside View Post
I'm glad you didn't crush that beer...with the bumper. Truck looks and sounds great.
Thanks for the kind words. No beers were harmed in the making of the photo, afterwards however...
Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
Sounds great and looks great!
I can't wait to be shifting thru the gears in mine.
I did a mid-shift conversion on mine, and just by feel (on the bench) the shifter throws are a bit shorter than in the rear position. Maybe so you can have a longer lever and not end up with a huge throw.
Thanks man. Yours looks like a cool project. That mid-shift kit is definitely taller than the stock shifter, likely due to the short-shift pivot. I think mine will be ok with a different lever, though I may still do a Pro-5.0 shifter if I feel it’s needed.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 02-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #13
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

New shift lever installed, much better. It’s 6” shorter, bent back toward the seat, and over toward the driver. Throw is waaay better than before and falls right in my hand
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 02-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #14
TA_C10

So all this time has gone by, how do you like your radio? And do you have courtesy lights installed in foot wells? If so whatcha got?

"It's only money".
Old 02-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #15
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
So all this time has gone by, how do you like your radio? And do you have courtesy lights installed in foot wells? If so whatcha got?
Unknown. It looks nice enough, and installed relatively easily, though I did modify it to suit my personal desire to have the knobs closer to the dash. As far as sound, I don’t think I’ll know for a while, it is very low on the list of priorities, heck, the only wiring in the truck right now is the bare minimum needed to run the engine. Same for footwell lighting, but if I do it will undoubtedly be a factory-type setup.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 02-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #16
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Made a change to the engine setup. I found a screaming deal on this FAST 4-bbl throttle body, which uses all GM sensors, making it plug-and-play with the Holley Terminator-X. It did take a little bit of playing with the tune to get the idle to cooperate, but overall I am match happier with this setup versus the 90mm stock-style. Bonus: the throttle cable and air cleaner fit just as they would with a carb, which is to say without (much) modification

The air cleaner needs paint and I think I’ve changed my mind (again) about the oil fill and knock sensor placement. They are an eyesore and must be eliminated...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 02-16-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:26 AM   #17
knomadd

Looking good Chris! I'm liking the direction you're headed with the new look of the engine! And every time I see your truck, it makes me want to go drive Brutus, and stab a T56 into my GTO!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:18 AM   #18
smbrouss70

Wow, I've missed a lot. For some reason, I'm not getting emails from this forum anymore.

What's the number on the new stick?

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #19
TA_C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Wow, I've missed a lot. For some reason, I'm not getting emails from this forum anymore.

Yeah me too man, then I found out you have to pay money for the email alerts! lol.

"It's only money".
Old 03-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #20
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Looking good Chris! I'm liking the direction you're headed with the new look of the engine! And every time I see your truck, it makes me want to go drive Brutus, and stab a T56 into my GTO!
Thanks man. You have nice rides for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post

It’s a Hurst 7438, bolt-on 69 Camaro style. Sitting just about perfect. How’s that Core shifter?
Quote:
Yeah me too man, then I found out you have to pay money for the email alerts! lol.
Well, dang...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-08-2020, 11:31 PM   #21
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Working on a couple things here and there, this afternoon I finally got an AC compressor mounted. There are lots of types of mounts available for the LS these days, but I wanted a low mount, and that leaves only a few options. I settled on the Dirty Dingo bracket setup, as it provides the narrowest measurement and most clearance to the framerail.

Unfortunately, as with most things I try to “bolt on” it needed modification, as the tensioner was trying to occupy the same space as the steering rack hard lines. I thought about a few different ways of fixing the issue, including re-routing the line, moving the rack, or trying a different bracket, but settled on just moving the tensioner over about 3/4”. I ended up building a doubler bracket out of 1/4” aluminum plate, as there wasn’t enough meat on the bracket to drill the new holes as delivered.

All seems to be well with (minor) clearance all around, just need to find the correct length belt. 5 pound sack...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 03-08-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:38 PM   #22
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

It’s really packed in there, but it all fits, and is hidden away nicely
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #23

Really like the truck Chris. U went thru several changes with the truck along the way. Thanks 4 a few ideas I have for mine. My question to u is the holley injection u have. Knowing u are more than stock, do u think /feel the single plane design is giving something up to the ls truck/car intakes down low? There isnt alot out there that i can find on this. The few articles I have read have the motor in more race than street trim. Just wanted ur thoughts.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:46 PM   #24
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3767 View Post
Really like the truck Chris. U went thru several changes with the truck along the way. Thanks 4 a few ideas I have for mine. My question to u is the holley injection u have. Knowing u are more than stock, do u think /feel the single plane design is giving something up to the ls truck/car intakes down low? There isnt alot out there that i can find on this. The few articles I have read have the motor in more race than street trim. Just wanted ur thoughts.
Appreciate the compliments, they’re never really done...

The short runner/single plane intake is almost certainly losing a few hp/lbs-ft low in the rev range, and the cam exacerbates the issue, but I’m willing to make that sacrifice for the look/sound I’m after. Really all comes down to what your priorities are. If it becomes an issue, there’s always forced induction, more cubic inches, or deeper rear gears to help make up for it

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-12-2020, 07:20 PM   #25
rustytruck50

The truck looks great, Chris....amazing transformation....its come a long way!

'05 RCSB Sierra 2WD
'71 Sierra 2WD Longbed
'98 Silverado K1500 Xcab...sold
'72 Highlander"Raymond"...sold
rustytruck50 is offline   Reply With Quote