The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #176
Stepside Jim

Re: 1957 Chevy truck re-rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubbs View Post
Like what you have going on here. Definitely going to keep a eye on your thread. Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks ddubbs, for a while here I'm just gonna run through the block sanding process. The pics could get boring, but not nearly as boring as the block sanding itself.

One place I can not block sand is where the gills are. Thinking back, I had to weld in a filler piece for where the old turn signals were. Now I not only have to smooth the weld of the turn signal fill but also the gill welds.

This is mainly done by feel since no block can fit into this area. A little extra time is involved, but they've blended in nicely.

Just joking, but, for some reason the first picture looks like a fish laying on it's side. lol
Attached Images

Last edited by Stepside Jim; 04-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Stepside Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #177
Kim57

Looking good.
You may try a hobby shop for some small blocks. I have one from when I was messing with RC planes.
Kim
Old 04-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #178
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
Looking good.
You may try a hobby shop for some small blocks. I have one from when I was messing with RC planes.
Kim
Small block, oh no we're using a Big block in this truck....... Ohhhhhhh, you mean a small sanding block. Usually in a small tight area such as the gills I will fold the paper over about 4 layers, this will usually keep the paper strong enough as to not drop into the low spots. Thanks Kim.

I've dealt with the long, enduring process of block sandig all the panels before. There are times when you need something to keep you motivated.

So far I've taken a couple hundred pictures of this project. It's good to sit down and go through them to remind myself how far I've gotten so far.

In my last set of pictures I lifted the sheet off the engine and took a picture to remind myself as to where I'm heading. Yup, ok, my mind is back on track again.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #179
Kim57

Nice looking engine.
Kim
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #180
dug224

Thanks for taking the time to explain what you are doing on the paint. It really helps. Great project. dug
dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 AM   #181
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to explain what you are doing on the paint. It really helps. Great project. dug
Thanks for mentioning it. I'll keep on explaining as I post pictures.

Speaking of posting pictures, I just spent 3 hours downloading a new browser so I can get back to using Photobucket.

This is a test run, so here goes.

Still working on the block sanding, I've got 180 grit wrapped around 3 paint sticks taped together. Got a sponge to keep the area wet, and the dog supervising. The idea is to follow the contour of the fender trying to knock down any high spots.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #182
Stepside Jim

Well, still sanding........One time consuming project is getting the door jams smoothed. I've pretty well filled and smoothed the spot welds and the overlapping metal panels.

Nothing like a clean rag and a spray of auto detailer to clean the door jams later.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #183
fat56

Looking really nice. Im just about to attach this on my truck, not looking forward to it but it sure does clean the door jams up alot.
LOW n LOUD
fat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #184
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Well, still sanding........One time consuming project is getting the door jams smoothed. I've pretty well filled and smoothed the spot welds and the overlapping metal panels.

Nothing like a clean rag and a spray of auto detailer to clean the door jams later.

How did you do this? Filler, grinding, welding? Can you let us know in detail if possible?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #185
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
How did you do this? Filler, grinding, welding? Can you let us know in detail if possible?
Mainly just filler. A couple spots of the overlaping metal had to be ground back for a flush fit before filling.

I haven't had any problems doing this before and looks nice when done. If anyone has had issues in the past please let us know.

Does require alot of finger sanding, sounds strange but Walmart strong strip bandaids on my finger tips really help. Gotta remember, I've finger sanded every runner on the foot steps and every ridge on the firewall also.

Thanks for checking in. Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #186
Stepside Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat56 View Post
Looking really nice. Im just about to attach this on my truck, not looking forward to it but it sure does clean the door jams up alot.
Hey fat56, half way around the world, aint this something. I've run a build thread on a different forum on a different truck. An other fello from your area and I joked on how many of my neighbors have no clue of what's in my shop, yet people all around the world get a close up view.

Thanks for checking too. Jim
Old 04-22-2013, 01:58 AM   #187
Kim57

That sure is a nice looking jam.
Kim
Old 05-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #188
Stepside Jim

Auuurgh, still block sanding..... prime, block, prime, block.......

But why, why prime, block, prime, block?

Pictures tell the story, here we go.

The high build primer is sprayed and dried. Then block sanded with 180 grit. Problem is, it's dull. The real problem is, when done and cleared, anything missed here will show later. We need to get a clear/shiney finish now.

Dull finish after sanding.

Here I've wet the surface with a pre cleaner, sometimes I'll just take water and wet the surface.

With a dull finish I couldn't see in detail to find the low spots. By running my hand over the finish I could hardly feel the low spot. It wasn't till I used the reflection of the shop stripe on the wall to see this deflection of the width of the stripe to see the problem area. This low spot would definetly show after the final painting.

I can either spray and sand, or I can directly focus on this low spot. My choice is glazing putty, then block sand the glazing putty. After the block sanding of the glazing putty, then a coat of high build primer.

Now after the primer blocking. The stripe reflection now stays consistant all the way across.

Sometimes the issue isn't fixing the low spots, it's finding them in the first place. Moving the light back and forth didn't show this spot, it took a long flat reflection to expose it.

Ok, back to sanding.... Jim
Old 05-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #189
Kim57

That came out nice.
Kim
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #190
Stepside Jim

Still working on the idea of getting some of the seams smoothed the inside of the cab.

The only thing that makes this easier is having the cab laid on it's back.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #191
Kim57

Looks nice.
I'll be doing mine also.
Kim
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #192
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepside Jim View Post
Auuurgh, still block sanding..... prime, block, prime, block.......
nice work on the interior seams
i didn't do them and wished i had, i see them every day
i was just so tired of your quoted text

i was unable to see or feel minor in's and out's when doing my body work
i could fix it when flaws were pointed out, just could find them
luckily i had lots of people to show me, too many people...

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #193
Russell Ashley

It looks much better when the seams are smoothed. Those seams are the sloppiest part of a TF. I know these were work trucks but I've always been a little surprised that they allowed them to leave the plant looking as sloppy as they usually do.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #194
Stepside Jim

Thanks all, the worst part is sanding a convex panel such as the inside of the cab. It does look nice when done though.

_Ogre, oh the block sanding, it goes on and on and on.

Finding the problem areas can be tough, there two things I find that help.

One, after block sanding, wet the panel as if there is a clear coat on the primer, then start looking for reflection imperfections.

Second is a mind set. Instead of looking how good the panel looks, look for how bad the panel looks. It's about the only time I recommend a cup half full view.

Russell Ashley, how cool is it that they probably had no idea of what their "work trucks" are going to look like 40 or 50 years later.

Next up is the tail gate. My original is in pretty good shape, but it did get about 20 years of farm usage. Talking about sanding the inside of the cab is one thing, it's gonna take hours and hours to get the tailgate looking good enough to match the rest of the truck.

I took the easy way out, new tailgate..... I got it from Classic parts. There was a choice of the American or over seas unit. I went with the American, I must say, very nice unit. Fits perfect, nice and square, the whole thing is just a nice piece.

I do however have to cut away the chain brackets, drill the holes for the hidden hinges and make some cuts for the hidden linkage.

Just look at all the small dimples and dings I've saved time not having to deal with with the old one.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #195
Stepside Jim

I've been putting in alot of hours on the truck, problem is...... it's the work that doesn't visually show progress, but it's all about refining. One thing I really focus on at this stage of a project is checking and rechecking how everything fits together. I don't want fitment problems after the paint is on.

One part of the project I've struggled with is the front grill. Dad perefered the 55 - 56 grill, it is a nice looking grill. I struggle with the idea that it is a 57, single year for this grill. Brothers had a sale on the 57 grill, not a big savings but it prompted me to order one.

Once it got here I put the cab back on the frame and assembled the front of the truck. I don't know if the original truck parts have been distorted from the past or the new grill is slightly off but I had to spend a couple of hours getting a near perfect fit. After all the work, it's in and I fitted it so there is some adjustment when final assembly happens.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #196
Kim57

Looks real sharp.
My original 57 grill fits real tight in its opening.
Kim
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #197
papastrk

A guide coat over the gray primer will help you find the problem areas. Just lightly spray a black or red oxide mist coat over each panel. Don't try to completely cover the gray with it. You will find this works great. I won't block anything without it. Just remember you only need a very light (thinned down quite a bit) dusting of another color of primer over the gray primer. Hope this helps
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #198
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Very nice! Gotta love the 57 grill!!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #199
Stepside Jim

Kim, that tight fit situation was what I was trying to stay away from. It seems that no matter wow careful I am on final assembly I'm gonna scratch or bump an edge, grrrrr. Anymore when possible I try to find a way to create a very small gap where I can to remove as many chances of chippage.

papastrk, thanks for checking in. I've been down the guide coat sanding procedure many a time, and it works well. My showing of the wetting the primer and watching the reflection was a small confined area that was easy to show in a picture.

The wetting of the primer then watching the reflection really helps on large panels. Sometimes the panel will show good with the guide coat, but if the wave in the panel is spanning a large area the sandpaper will follow the wave and remove the guide coat giving the impression of a true flat surface. This wet and reflect concept is the next step after the guide coat procedure.

While I've got the Photobucket site opened up I'll take advantage. (Remember, I'm on dial-up here)

Still trying to smooth alot of the rough edges I'm moving to the firewall. I was able to straighten most of the seam but even with the straightening I needed to smooth the edge.

There wasn't much filler left after the sanding, but I guess that's the idea. Now a nice clean edge.

I know many have removed this seam, I really have no problem with the seam as long as it's straight.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #200
Russell Ashley

You are doing some super fine work on that truck.

We might be in the minority on this forum, but I also think the firewall seam looks OK.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote