The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #176
Low Elco

Re: Big Rat's 1979 C10 High School Hot Rod Restooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rat View Post

I bet! Your truck is already perty! I'm thinkin since I haven't driven mine in so long is why I've had a generally enjoyable time doing this so far. I'm past the "missing driving her" phase, kinda. I think it is probably harder for you guys that are already driving your toy. I know it would be hard for me to consciously stop driving knowing it's going to be a while till I can drive it again. Then you want to rush, then comes stress, anxiety, mistakes, loss of job due to calling in sick all the time to work on it, then getting fired, an addiction to yellow jackets and red bulls for those multi-day mechanicking marathons, then the divorces, interventions, after school specials on ABC, then the E-True Hollywood story, I've seen it a hundred times. I'm just lucky that I let it sit and rot for 12 years, to avoid all that, which was my plan from the beginning. Always plan ahead.

Sad, but true. Good to see you're a man of vision. A lesser soul would have rushed in all willy-nilly, and then where would you be?

Getting anything done this weekend?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #177
Big Rat

"Man of vision", I LOVE IT! i'M HOPING TO, stupid "caps lock", get out in the garage tomorrow, as long as my lovely wife doesn't pull the whole mother day card! Probably not going to get out there today unfortunately. My boss(wife) wants to take the kids to the local amusement park so they can whine about not wanting to come home later. Stupid season passes. If I want to have a constant fear of dying, weird smells, and grinding metal, I can just go out in the garage, who needs to go to an amusement park?!

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #178
slammed427

Ah the pages of shenanigans. Well played sir, well played indeed. Imma tag along on this ride.

Instagram: mmmdropp
slammed427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #179
rusty76

Well atleast you're past the "miss driving it" stage.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #180
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammed427 View Post
Ah the pages of shenanigans. Well played sir, well played indeed. Imma tag along on this ride.
Welcome to the chaos. And I promise many many more pages of tom foolery and shenanigans and hijinks and hot air bandwidth wasting piratry with these silly bastages egging me on!!! I'm not the one you have to worry about here though, these guys get outta control when not kept under close observation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Well atleast you're past the "miss driving it" stage.
Yeah, I'm past it. I went through all the stages. You know, miss driving it, heavy drinking, holding knees to chest while crying in the corner, watching sound of music with the director commentary on in an endless loop for two weeks, eating a steady diet of sour cream while repeatedly drinking quarts of mouth wash, widdling obscene woodland creatures doing unacceptable things, then finally reaching the "I guess I should rebuild it because it's been a dozen years and you are dumb for waiting this long" stage.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #181
rusty76

Kinda thought it sounded like myself. Haven't driven my truck since '04. I don't miss it at all........well sorta. I look outside at it sitting still waiting on me. I honestly can hear it rusting at night. Though I know it rusts in the day too.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #182
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I hadn't ever thought about it that way.

I build slow but steady on my trucks. I'm a patient guy. But I also can't remember ever building any truck or car that I'd driven beforehand. They always come home as derelict field vehicles with flat tires and ruined engines. I never have had the excitement of enjoying one before I rebuild it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #183
Bomp

Quote:
Yeah, I'm past it. I went through all the stages. You know, miss driving it, heavy drinking, holding knees to chest while crying in the corner, watching sound of music with the director commentary on in an endless loop for two weeks, eating a steady diet of sour cream while repeatedly drinking quarts of mouth wash, widdling obscene woodland creatures doing unacceptable things, then finally reaching the "I guess I should rebuild it because it's been a dozen years and you are dumb for waiting this long" stage.

hmmm,,,,,,
After reading this bit of info (cause Im stuck to this build like stnik on siht) I had to look back on my own collection. nightmareish dream sequence begins.
Never have I read a build thread and ended up wondering what status Im at... and hmmmmmm again, I've bought, driven, tinkered, driven, tore down, blown 3 motors, 2 manual trans, 5 auto, popped pistons out the side of the block, 2 wheels come apart, trailered, sandblasted, epoxy premiered, painted, hung sheet metal, hood scoop, giant sound system, carpet, smashed up tore down again, spun cookies til the cops came, ate erasers, cut out the floor(mini tubbed)etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc... hung the car x2 ('69&'67 Camaros) for over the last 10 years...add that up and thats 20 yrs total...........Is Bompenstein my only hope? Will I make it to the finish line?!?!?!
Tell me there is hope. You going to get wrenchin on the truck soon? What about the Nova? Oh the agony...
Don't lose hope,,,,Don't lose hope buddy,,.,,.,..
Whew,,,,,,,,, Evan,,,,,You is gotta build you a big-0-gigantico shop in that there field and start hangin' or building.
Or pass me some of that sour cream & mouth wash.

Can't wait for the next update to see what my reality outcome will be.
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #184
Big Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
Kinda thought it sounded like myself. Haven't driven my truck since '04. I don't miss it at all........well sorta. I look outside at it sitting still waiting on me. I honestly can hear it rusting at night. Though I know it rusts in the day too.
Yeah it sucks. What I love is when you catch the random smells and for some reason you are flooded with memories of fond times past n' such. Still to this day strawberry little tree freshner brings back memories of racing around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I hadn't ever thought about it that way.

I build slow but steady on my trucks. I'm a patient guy. But I also can't remember ever building any truck or car that I'd driven beforehand. They always come home as derelict field vehicles with flat tires and ruined engines. I never have had the excitement of enjoying one before I rebuild it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kinda like you can't miss Paris if you've never been there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
hmmm,,,,,,
After reading this bit of info (cause Im stuck to this build like stnik on siht) I had to look back on my own collection. nightmareish dream sequence begins.
Never have I read a build thread and ended up wondering what status Im at... and hmmmmmm again, I've bought, driven, tinkered, driven, tore down, blown 3 motors, 2 manual trans, 5 auto, popped pistons out the side of the block, 2 wheels come apart, trailered, sandblasted, epoxy premiered, painted, hung sheet metal, hood scoop, giant sound system, carpet, smashed up tore down again, spun cookies til the cops came, ate erasers, cut out the floor(mini tubbed)etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc... hung the car x2 ('69&'67 Camaros) for over the last 10 years...add that up and thats 20 yrs total...........Is Bompenstein my only hope? Will I make it to the finish line?!?!?!
Tell me there is hope. You going to get wrenchin on the truck soon? What about the Nova? Oh the agony...
Don't lose hope,,,,Don't lose hope buddy,,.,,.,..
Whew,,,,,,,,, Evan,,,,,You is gotta build you a big-0-gigantico shop in that there field and start hangin' or building.
Or pass me some of that sour cream & mouth wash.

Can't wait for the next update to see what my reality outcome will be.
Oh man you kill me!!! I love it! I plan on getting back on it. Been dinkin around in the yard(I dug a hole), and at the local motion sickness park with the chitlins. Speakin of which, I rode ONE freakin ride and I was ready to puke! What the hell?! Oh the earned glory of not being an iron gut child! I still act like a kid, but, I just can't hang. Sad. Nothing like being shown up by your three year old and his buckets of energy when he looks at you and says, "lets ride that again!!!", you answer back, "nah, daddy needs a break" and then he looks at you with that look and naturally you know he is thinkin, "nah, daddy just needs to stop being a and get with the program!"

Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #185
Low Elco

Quote:
Yeah it sucks. What I love is when you catch the random smells and for some reason you are flooded with memories of fond times past n' such. Still to this day strawberry little tree freshner brings back memories of racing around!
Hawaiian Tropic suntan lotion, Grrrrr!
Green Race gas and burning rubber, 2-stroke fumes and water, Beautiful perfume, General bodyshop smell, these things make me happy.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #186
trout

nice build
Old 05-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #187
rgunlock

Stumbled across your build and really got a kick out of it! I used Rustoleum hammered black on my frame. Can't speak for its durability yet, but didn't need much prep and went on looking really purdy. Cleaned out the local home improvement place shelf of it a couple times like someone hoarding ammo

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #188
rusty76

It's funny my truck has been in my Family,(my uncle, then my mom then back to my uncle then back to me) for all the stupid memories from prior to me owning it to the times later on my owning. Honestly my truck probably isn't worth much but for memories. Man I wish I was 14 again and flying down the road with no fear. Geezzzzzz.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #189
Big Rat

I plan on workin on the truck, but, I'm sitting on the couch watching NITRO CIRCUS The Movie. Um, all I got to say is, Yeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....

Old 05-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #190
rusty76

What in the world is Nitro Circus? Excuse my lack of knowing...
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 05-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #191
Big Rat

The best way I've heard it put is, they are like the crew of Jackass, except NOT set up to fail, and they have engines. Just think of them like a crew of modern day Evil Knievels. Crazy stunts usually involving a smothering of horsepower! Cars, bikes, snowmobiles, and the best, big-wheels!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #192
rusty76

That's funny. Kinda like Junkyard Wars. Best show ever. It was on PBS and Discovery long time ago.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 05-19-2013, 08:45 AM   #193
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
I plan on workin on the truck, but, I'm sitting on the couch watching NITRO CIRCUS The Movie. Um, all I got to say is, Yeeeaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....
I watched that with my boys a few weeks back. Those guys are nuts! I almost couldn't watch when they were jumping big wheels from the top of one sky scraper to another without a net. It was funny what they'd put the fat guy up to.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #194
Low Elco

Didja like the truck jump? X2 on the hammered paint, been using it for years. Comes in different colors, too!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #195
Big Rat

Oh I love every part of it! Double backflip a tricycle? Yeah, they do that. That skyscraper part is nuts! When they drop that watermelon off of it, it sounds like a bomb when it hits the ground. They do a lot of stuff in Utah. When they saw how many times they could flip that mustang, it was done out here at Miller Motorsports Park. About time that people realized filming in polygamist jack scenery states makes for very entertaining film making.

SOOO... I finally got out in the garage for some quality time with my sugar!!! I was actually excited that I finally had some time to spend on my rig! It has been entirely too long! With dance recitals, and amusement parks, and swathin my field, and diggin my holes, and kick ball games, and working, and driving, and cussing, and drinking, and eating, and showering, and sleeping, and foruming, I barely have any time to retreat to the awesomest place in the house. So I head out into the garage to give the 'ol girl some attention

and look up to behold this travesty!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, for HELL NO! My house is five years old and I work for a roofing company! I don't think so pal!!! Let me tell you what, I made like a prom dress and took off to the attic. The access is on the other side of the house. I have 14 foot vaults and the vault in my garage is taller the empire state building so going from one end of the house to the other is like sideways tetris trying to monkey through those funky joists! So I triangulated the origin of the aforementioned leak by way of the most sophisticated forms of eyeballing, monkeyed back out of the attic and up on to the roof to find that the roofing scientists that had roofed my house, had flunked out of the roofing academy! Shingles on top of flashing when it should have been flashing on top of first row of shingles!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the rant, but I did return to the peaceful domain of metal and power tools and foraged on in my endeavor for quality time.

This is where I left off last time

Before

and after a little scotch brite, apple juice, fancy tooth brushin, and sour cream

About half way through my progress, I noticed I just wasn't cutting as well as I had been, so I figured I would put on my investigational hat and do some calculations to see if I could trouble shoot the problem... Hmmm...

Can't seem to understand why the brush wasn't working, there was plenty left, oh well. It'll forever be an unanswered mystery. Then I got a little excited and got carried away with the new brush, oops. That 12000 rpm 4 1/2 inches of torque just got away from me.

Never any shenanigans here. EVER!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #196
jlsanborn

Frame is looking good man! You gotta get some twist-knot wire wheels. Your wire-wheelin scientist pal on the shoulder will be like "daaaummm! WAY better!" They look savage, but MAN they rip the crap off. Looking back on all my wheelin, washin, sandin, etc.. it would've easily been worth the scheckles for a blast cabinet to do small parts. That barrel unit Bomp made would be perfect.

Sucks about the leak but it looks like you've got a handle on it. Keep on buffin and you'll be back to a roller in no time!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #197
Low Elco

X2 on the knot brush. They put the boogie on it!

Sorry about the leak. Lawd, I hate roofin' !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #198
Bomp

Dang it anyways.......
Ya did it to me again.......reading the update and whoooosh.,,,. an idear pops into me head.....
I grabbed all the sour cream outa the fridge to make an new up coming video and the wifey caughts me. busted!

Nice to see ya made it back to the frame. Totally agree about the knotted wire wheelie dealie
And Hey, Summers just about here. Roof won't leak nomore. Even the seasons are on your side.

Sure sign to get back to wrenchin'
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #199
Big Rat

Peer pressure peer pressure! Knot brush! You know you want it... Okay, okay, I'll try, just this once! Some of that frame paint it's in such good shape it takes some real convincing to strip it off! I'm all for some metal strippin ace kickin! All this talk of having a roller is getting me all excited! Thanks a lot fellers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #200
bluex

Knock knock, anyone home?
Posted via Mobile Device
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote