The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #201
duwem

Re: Nsane 52' Chevy Truck!

Not to get too far ahead, but when you fire the truck up please take some video of it running and post it up. Really anxious to hear how those hushpowers sound behind the 6.0L.

Thanks!
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #202
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
Not to get too far ahead, but when you fire the truck up please take some video of it running and post it up. Really anxious to hear how those hushpowers sound behind the 6.0L.

Thanks!
You got it! I started it about a month ago. It runs great and sounds even better. We're thinking of a few upgrades when we pull it back out for paint.
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #203
pgf545

DeWayne, on post 158 I understand about the tipping wheel and shrinker to make the flange but how did you make the big radius? The one to match the fender side where you did the welding? Also what gauge metal did you use?

Bernie
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #204
Nsanehotrodz

Talking Re: Nsane 52' Chevy Truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgf545 View Post
DeWayne, on post 158 I understand about the tipping wheel and shrinker to make the flange but how did you make the big radius? The one to match the fender side where you did the welding? Also what gauge metal did you use?

Bernie
Bernie, I used the shrinker to make the radius for the patch. The repair panel is made from 18ga. I'll try to get the how-to posted this week, I've just been very busy.

Thanks
DeWayne
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #205
Nsanehotrodz

The filler panels and running boards are finished. The filler panels were way off where they meet the body line on the fender so we reworked them. We also smoothed the tailgate. I'll post more pics soon. DeWayne

Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #206
Nsanehotrodz

Thumbs up Re: Nsane 52' Chevy Truck!

How-To, making a rear fender patch. Step 1- make a template out of poster board to match the shape of the fender. Step 2- transfer the template to a piece of 18ga. and be sure to cut the patch a little bigger than the template so you have some room just in case you make a mistake

Step 3- Use a piece of 3/4" masking tape to make the outline for the flange.
Step 4- Use the bead roller with a tipping wheel and slowly start shaping the flange.

After the first pass or so the patch will start to wrinkle in the curve of the patch, this is when I take it to the shrinker and start shrinking the flange in the curve.

Step 5- After the flange is finished, beginning from one end start shrinking the flange to match the curve in the fender.

Step 6- Once you have finished the patch its time to install it. I made my patch about 1" taller than the original. Fit the patch on the rear fender and mark along the inside of the new patch.

Step 7- cut the patch to fit in with the rear fender, and start tack welding the patch in place.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #207
ratty 46

Super job.

Ratty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #208
hotrod1
56 - autocross

Nice! What do you start grinding down the welds with? Tool and grit? What then? How do you go from the spots and tacks to the finish product?
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #209
71Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod1 View Post
Nice! What do you start grinding down the welds with? Tool and grit? What then? How do you go from the spots and tacks to the finish product?
[QUOTE=Nsanehotrodz;4392410]3" angle grinder with a 50 grit disc followed by 80 grit followed by a brown scotchbrite disc finished with 80 grit on a DA. Panel55 everything you see on the truck is mig. Thanks
Handmade inner cowl panel

This was posted earlier in the thread.
71Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #210
Nsanehotrodz

Thumbs up Re: Nsane 52' Chevy Truck!

[quote=71Sleeper;4851361]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsanehotrodz View Post
3" angle grinder with a 50 grit disc followed by 80 grit followed by a brown scotchbrite disc finished with 80 grit on a DA. Panel55 everything you see on the truck is mig. Thanks
Handmade inner cowl panel

This was posted earlier in the thread.
Thanks
Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #211
72Mountaineer

What did you do to the tailgate (besides "smooth" it)?
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #212
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
What did you do to the tailgate (besides "smooth" it)?
Looks like they started with a smooth tailgate (no Chevrolet), and shaved the pockets where the chains would normally hook and added hidden latches.

Nsane, do you planish the welds with a hammer/dolly either before or after you grind them? Also, what do you follow up with for filler, do you use fiberglass over the seams or just go right to the easy sanding stuff? Looking great!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #213
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJeep View Post
Looks like they started with a smooth tailgate (no Chevrolet), and shaved the pockets where the chains would normally hook and added hidden latches.

Nsane, do you planish the welds with a hammer/dolly either before or after you grind them? Also, what do you follow up with for filler, do you use fiberglass over the seams or just go right to the easy sanding stuff? Looking great!
I planish the welds after I grind them down. I use Rage Extreme on everything, I never use fiberglass. Thanks

DeWayne
Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #214
Nsanehotrodz

I sprayed Dp90 epoxy on the filler panels, running boards, rear fenders and the tailgate. We finished fitting the tailgate today, next i will finish installing the tailgate cables and shave the holes for the tailgate chains. DeWayne

Old 08-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #215
Russell Ashley

The truck looks great. I enjoy checking out the vehicles in the backgrounds of the truck pics. I'd like to see some pics of those and a description of what's going on with them, even if they are not 47-59 Chevy's. The 51 Ford dually in the background looks interesting.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #216
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
The truck looks great. I enjoy checking out the vehicles in the backgrounds of the truck pics. I'd like to see some pics of those and a description of what's going on with them, even if they are not 47-59 Chevy's. The 51 Ford dually in the background looks interesting.
thanks Russell, here are a few pics pics of the 51' F-6 we're building. We mounted it on a E-350 chassis with the 7.3 turbo diesel. We are painting it orange and grey with the owners hardware store info on the door.

These are pics of a 57' Convertible Fuelie Car, its going back all original. Black with a black top. This is the second quarter I've installed in this car. The first one was a taiwan quarter which was waayyyyyy off. The new quarter is US made.

This is the "Other Truck" I will start a build thread on it later. I can't show alot of pics just yet.

You can follow the other projects on my website. I thought about staring a build thread on the 51' F-6 but its a Ford Thanks
Old 08-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #217
Nsanehotrodz

I started repairing the drivers front fender, it had a stress crack in it running up the edge of the fender. I'll have it finished Monday with more pics.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #218
Indian113

I can't wait on that chopped AD build!!!!!!!! It looks like you really did it right,better be some good pictures on that CHOP
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #219
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
I can't wait on that chopped AD build!!!!!!!! It looks like you really did it right,better be some good pictures on that CHOP
It still has a long way to go! I'm fixing a big mess with this truck, some things were okay and some things were just bad. We're doing alot of custom work to this truck and have alot of good people behind us on this build. Thanks

DeWayne
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #220
xpickup

Nsanehotrodz. You have a lot of nice projects. I am also building a 48 Ford COE. The steering is the fun one there. I bought a offset box from the company that makes them, but Posies sells them and they are $350 but are worth the money. It looks great. I love seeing everyone elses projects ,Chevy or not. Keep up the great work.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 PM   #221
Fat Mike

Here is a ? for you. What do you do to the backside of a weld that you can't get too. Since I am a novice I would love some advice. Your welds always look awesome.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #222
renegade8720

Great Work! I am building a 50 five window pro tour. How much did you chop the top on that truck in post 216? I am thinking of chopping my truck 3". I know with the five window, it will be some extra work.

Thanks,
Renegade
renegade8720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #223
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
Nsanehotrodz. You have a lot of nice projects. I am also building a 48 Ford COE. The steering is the fun one there. I bought a offset box from the company that makes them, but Posies sells them and they are $350 but are worth the money. It looks great. I love seeing everyone elses projects ,Chevy or not. Keep up the great work.

Shannon
Thanks Shannon, I'll check that out. The owner stopped by yesterday with a few new ideas for the truck. I'll post more pics next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Mike View Post
Here is a ? for you. What do you do to the backside of a weld that you can't get too. Since I am a novice I would love some advice. Your welds always look awesome.
It depends what part of the truck are you working on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade8720 View Post
Great Work! I am building a 50 five window pro tour. How much did you chop the top on that truck in post 216? I am thinking of chopping my truck 3". I know with the five window, it will be some extra work.

Thanks,
Renegade
Thanks Renegade, the truck was already chopped when I got it. I think it is a 3" chop. I'm worried about what its gonna look like when we get the cab stripped down to bare metal. I'll be chopping a 53' Chevy in a few weeks. I'll post pics when I get started on it. If you need any help stop by, I'm not far from Kingsport.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM   #224
xpickup

DeWayne, The guy we bought it from was www.cenpen.com and it was called the sidewinder steering box. He sells them for unpolished for 299.00. He is the guy who makes them. If you want some pictures let me know. I used one of the shorty columns and it worked out great. The steering is fun on them because the steering column is so far in front of the steering box. We used a E350 chassis.

Shannon
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #225
Nsanehotrodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
DeWayne, The guy we bought it from was www.cenpen.com and it was called the sidewinder steering box. He sells them for unpolished for 299.00. He is the guy who makes them. If you want some pictures let me know. I used one of the shorty columns and it worked out great. The steering is fun on them because the steering column is so far in front of the steering box. We used a E350 chassis.

Shannon
Sure send me some pics. I'm waiting on a few more parts, the owner is thinking of going with an aluminum bed, and maybe alcoa wheels. Thanks