The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
truckzilla

Re: Build #2 Crusader!

Her truck is really looking killer Mike! I think the awareness pink is quite appropriate for a chick's truck. Keep up the awesome work my friend!
truckzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Low Elco

Looks great!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
87Jimmy4JP

Just went through the whole build and WOW!...what a great job...

I would say you got a lot done in a relatively short time......

awesome paint by the way.....

JP
87Jimmy4JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Gooker928

I also need a kit for a regular cab and a door kit if you still have any.
Posted via Mobile Device
Gooker928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
67cheby
67cheby

truck is looking GREAT !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooker928 View Post
I also need a kit for a regular cab and a door kit if you still have any.
Posted via Mobile Device
yes i have some. sounds like you want a 48sq ft kit. ill pm you the details
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
truckzilla

Talking Re: Build #2 Crusader!

You guys need to get some of Mike's sound deadener! It's excellent stuff. It's just as good as that much more expensive name brand butyl rubber coated, self adhesive, thin aluminum stuff and since I don't plan on driving my truck around without carpet, having Brand D's name stencilled all over it means squat-o-la!
Get it now or pay more somewhere else later; I'm just saying! If I could, I'd pick up enough for another project, but I gotta finish this one first.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Igorsgonemadd

Hey Mike, I'd like some sound deadner to do my crewcab, can you pm me some details, thanks! Btw, truck looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cheby View Post
truck is looking GREAT !
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
You guys need to get some of Mike's sound deadener! It's excellent stuff. It's just as good as that much more expensive name brand butyl rubber coated, self adhesive, thin aluminum stuff and since I don't plan on driving my truck around without carpet, having Brand D's name stencilled all over it means squat-o-la!
Get it now or pay more somewhere else later; I'm just saying! If I could, I'd pick up enough for another project, but I gotta finish this one first.
Thank you for the plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igorsgonemadd View Post
Hey Mike, I'd like some sound deadner to do my crewcab, can you pm me some details, thanks! Btw, truck looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device
pm sent
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #10
mrhino
Account Suspended

Finally finished all the cutting and buffing. here are a few pics of the finish.

the flash shows even the smallest of dust

well now that thats done I can move on to other stuff. like wireing and putting in all the power locks and windows where there wasn't any before. um sounds like fun. Hey ill take anything as long as its not freaking sanding right!
Old 12-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Car'n'Guitars

Truck looks awesome I look forward to seeing this around town.
1987 Chevrolet K10 Silverado
"The Beast" build 1987 Silverado http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6150257
Car'n'Guitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Your paint and body Jedi Force is very strong.

Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
dhaymaker

^^^ What he said!!

"The DRBMan"

2014 Audi A4 (The Wife's Daily Driver)
2017 HD Ultra (The Cruiser)
2003 HD Fatboy (The Ride)
2001 Chevy Suburban (Another back up!!)

For the first time in forever, not a single 67-72 Chevy truck, Blazer, or Suburban on the property! Basically retired and getting the new Motorhome ready for some traveling. Doing a bit of work on the house getting it ready to sell! LOL!!
dhaymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #14
truckzilla

Thumbs up Re: Build #2 Crusader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Your paint and body Jedi Force is very strong.

Sure got that right!

Nothing like seeing a black paint job that's mirror smooth!

Awesomeness X 2!
Old 12-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
mrhino
Account Suspended

after finally putty away my buffer. I could start on other areas of the truck. Getting this thing back together. I started with putting sound deadener in the doors.

here is what I did.

Having the window, regulator, and the door handle removed sure made this a lot easier job.

First thing to do is clean the surface you want to stick the material too.
I started with a scrapper to remove loose dust and debris

Then i went over it with a scotchbright pad.

Next I cleaned it with some Glass cleaner. If you have any grease or oily residue, you would want to remove that with some brake clean or some sota solvent. The point here is to have as clean a surface as possible

I took a quick measurement. to determine how much to use based on how far my short arms could reach inside the door.

Starting with a 18x32 sheet

I cut 5" off of the end

and 5" across the top. leaving me with a 13x27 sheet for the main body of the door.

I then slide the piece down into the door checking fitment. Making sure I knew exactly where Im going to put it.

peel off the backing

Slide it in place making sure not to touch the sticky side to anything you dont want it stuck to.

once its in place go ahead and press it down. Here I am using a socket but a roller, your hand anything you can get it there to press it firmly in place

Now its time for the smaller pieces I cut earlier

Again making sure I know where It should go. once its pressed in place it. Its there

done

Obviously I couldn't reach everywhere on the panel. not getting 100% coverage. but what I did do was cover roughly 60%. By cutting it into several different pieces I essential cover more area than one full sheet. The main goal is to knock down vibration and Resonance. The door does not have that hollow tinny sound it once did. By using only one sheet You use less martial and therefore the end cost to do a whole truck would be less. There is defiantly a difference in the sound between before and after. Check out the video below and at the end you can hear the difference.
Once I get my windows and handles back I will cover the out side of the inside behind the door panel. if that makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=9VWcDhvYJv0
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #16
duallyjams

Major props on the body & paint , that's a big ole truck to under take, glad to see you are still going strong on the build well it is for the wife so I'm sure that helps in keeping the fire lit.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
truckzilla

Thanks for showing us all how to do it!

I'm so glad for you that your legs grew back!
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Big Tex

I agree with TxFireFighter!! You're two builds have about convinced me to go with SPI for my paint products. Anything you'd have done different as far as material or supplies? I haven't painted anything since the late 90's, and when I go into a paint store, kinda feel like I have "sucker" tatooed on my forehead, or I'm wasting their time since I'm not a body shop. I'd like to buy local, but want good customer service and answers/advice. SPI says that their customer service is great, what do you think?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tex View Post
I agree with TxFireFighter!! You're two builds have about convinced me to go with SPI for my paint products. Anything you'd have done different as far as material or supplies? I haven't painted anything since the late 90's, and when I go into a paint store, kinda feel like I have "sucker" tatooed on my forehead, or I'm wasting their time since I'm not a body shop. I'd like to buy local, but want good customer service and answers/advice. SPI says that their customer service is great, what do you think?
Im glad you asked, I couldn't agree more, I felt the same way when walking into my local paint store.

Let me tell you about SPI. There products are awesome. This truck was only my second paint job and the silver 71 Silver dollar was the first. I did a majority of body work on the red Iroc (there wasn't very much) but I didn't do any of the spraying. (to chicken sh!t). Silver and Black The two hardest colors to paint and I dont believe they would have come out as nice if it weren't for SPI and there products. There Epoxy primer is the best. Very user friendly. Easy to mix, long pot life, easy to spray, and easy to sand. It works so well that I didnt use any 2k urethane primer on this truck. Not there is any thing wrong with their 2k primer. I did use it on Silver dollar with great results. You can Spray this epoxy over bare metal, you can lay filler over it. It dries to a semi-gloss finish, so you use it as a guild coat for sanding. You can even mix this epoxy as a sealer. Having one product that takes the place of 2 or 3 is much easier and cheaper. If you think the epoxy primer is good wait till you try the Clear. It is bad a$$ as too. Their Universal Clear is made specifically for custom cars, trucks, bikes, hot rods whenever you need a better than the old "body shop" or production finish. it gives a nice Deep shine. Its easy to spray. Long pot-life so you can take your time. and you can cut and buff on it easy even after a month. if your as slow as I am.
If thats not good enough for ya. The price! its crazy. You cant beat there pricing. unless you do some cheap ass clear or dupli-color from Walmart. A spray-able gallon of that clear I was just telling you about is only $141. and a spray-able Gallon of the epoxy is only $135. Everything is affordable. my local paint store couldn't come close. Then there is the customer service. its Fantastic. walk into your local paint supplier and ask for the owners personal phone number, so you can call him on Sunday evening when you have a problem. I can, with SPI. If your a customer of SPI you to can have Barry's personal number. and he calls you back. (trust me Iv done it) Hows that for customer service. If a guy like me that has almost no experience in painting can do what I did with SPI, imagine what someone who knew what they were doing could do. If it all sounds like a sales pitch to you. you might be right. (But its all true.) I believe in their integrity, their products, & their outstanding Customer service, Because I want to be apart of something like that. Im signing up to be a authorized dealer for them at the first of the year.

Last edited by mrhino; 12-05-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #20
Low Elco

X3! What does that SPI stuff run?
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
Big Tex

Low Elco- I think I saw maybe over in the paint section where he said he had about $850 in it total. He can say for sure.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #22
truckzilla

Thumbs up Re: Build #2 Crusader!

With results like that, it looks like it was certainly worth it!
Old 12-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
truckzilla

Thanks for the info on SPI Mike. Do they make a satin or matte black or clear?

Sorry to see that five months of body work wore your legs down to stubs! You'll have to get some sticks to be able to reach the pedals now!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzilla View Post
Thanks for the info on SPI Mike. Do they make a satin or matte black or clear?

Sorry to see that five months of body work wore your legs down to stubs! You'll have to get some sticks to be able to reach the pedals now!
yes they have a flat single stage a.k.a. hot rod black, a gallon of matte clear and they have a flatting agent for the clear. basically with that you can customize the amount of sheen you want. just add as much fattener as you wont for a desired look.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #25
truckzilla

Good to know when it comes paint time, which will probably be after the next administration in Washington is through! (It means it will be a while!)

Last edited by truckzilla; 12-07-2012 at 04:59 PM.