The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #201
Keith Seymore

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
as far as the speedo it was off when I drove 6 miles it said I went 6.5 so I switched the brown driven plastic speedo gear to a purple one, same part as in the TH350 so is the output shaft yoke, also I just took the reverse switch out of my Muncie and screwed it in to the New Process and it works fine,
Mine came from the factory with an external speedo adapter.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #202
Dazzoman

Re: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmissio

Great !
I hope I have no speedo probs with this iron unit (NP440) thats being built , they have one less gear to find before its complete .
I just bought an 1981 shifter on ebay today for it ....
I have an 66 GMC 3/4 w/ 292 6 cly . The original muncie ( we should come up with a slang name for it like "Slow Mo Box" ) has got to go lol !
Dazzoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #203
D13

Quote:
According to the parts manuals there is no linkage difference between 2WD and 4WD of the same year, we had this discussion before early 80s are different from mid 80s models, I have a mix of 2WD and 4WD linkages and some spares / duplicates and they are identical

D13 are your 2WD and 4WD of the same year? I bet they is different, hence the difference
Mine are definitely different, 2wd has lighter rods and is later (hydraulic clutch bell) and the 4wd is earlier (mech clutch bell). Good to know they can be swapped.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #204
jb85

Can I still get parts or does anybody rebuild the 833, I have one and my buddy said it sounds like the countershaft bearing is going out, I can hear a distinctive rolling mumble when coming to a stop even with the transfer case in neutral.
jb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #205
jb85

Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
The overdrive version of the A833 was never offered behind a big block. It's not a strong trans for torque motors. Keith tows with his because he knows how to shift one and his 4.3 is a good match.
I would like to try one behind my 250. I've got a 2wd hydro clutch and a 4wd mech clutch, and keep thinking my 77 with its 250 and 3OTT could use some love. Then again, with my knees, I might just swap in an auto trans.
Mine came stock behind the 6.2
Old 08-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #206
hatzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post
Can I still get parts or does anybody rebuild the 833, I have one and my buddy said it sounds like the countershaft bearing is going out, I can hear a distinctive rolling mumble when coming to a stop even with the transfer case in neutral.
The countershaft runs on rows of needle bearings with spacers and there may be at least one thrust bearing too.
Check that the countershaft hasn't wallered out the case. They seem to like to do that on the aluminum case units. You can bore and sleeve it with steel.
Check with Brewers for parts. http://www.brewersperformance.com/
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #207
jb85

Thanks, mine is a cast iron 4x4 case 1985, I havn't removed it yet pending on parts. If I cant get the parts I will probably go with a nv4500 5 speed
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #208
Dazzoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb85 View Post
Yes , there is a place called Passon transmissions in PA , they have parts and some fresh rebuilt units ( hard to find ) on hand for about 13hundred bucks .
These transmissions I heard are good for the V8s and that they are heavy duty almost as much as my original Muncie 4 speed
Old 08-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #209
65Robb

Man wish someone could do these cheaper lol
65Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #210
Dazzoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Robb View Post
Man wish someone could do these cheaper lol
When you think about it you gotta see there is only a few of these around , like 2 yrs they made them but if thats not enough you get the same beefyness as an muncie 460 yet without that horrible compound gear but a real 1st gear PLUS-
I'll get 20 miles per gallon on this 66 GMC with 292 6 cyl and it will make the engine last alot longer .
I dont need to change out the rear end now .
I found mine at a place called Eagle Motors or something for cheaper- and they have engines and **** that they recon .
BUT another tip is to get an used one Tom Myers Wreckers in Oklahoma BECAUSE he had an **** load of nothing but old GM trucks from the 40s to now !
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 PM   #211
65Robb

Yeah I been looking found a couple an they either sold before I got ahold of the seller or they never contacted me back lol
Old 08-15-2016, 11:57 PM   #212
Dazzoman

Quote:
Yeah I been looking found a couple an they either sold before I got ahold of the seller or they never contacted me back lol
Now you know why heh hehe !
Just be ware that you have to get the shifting linkage knob assembly thing too , it is different and Im expecting to do a little fabricating so that it holds an original feel to it as well as usefulness .
Its gotta look good .
I found one on ebay for $250 with shift boot , knob , everything .
Its gonna look KILLER .
T
Old 08-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #213
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzoman View Post
Now you know why heh hehe !
Just be ware that you have to get the shifting linkage knob assembly thing too , it is different
the shifter is a standard Hurst competition four speed shifter, the fingers ie the three metal rods are a GM thing and so is the actual round shifter stick, but you can use any Hurst shifter stick that will clear the bench seat, though GM decided to weld theirs in, but others are the bolt in kind

I have a couple extra of the GM shifter fingers (2 of the three needed, I am missing one) if anyone is interested in buying them
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:41 AM   #214
Dazzoman

Quote:
the shifter is a standard Hurst competition four speed shifter, the fingers ie the three metal rods are a GM thing and so is the actual round shifter stick, but you can use any Hurst shifter stick that will clear the bench seat, though GM decided to weld theirs in, but others are the bolt in kind

I have a couple extra of the GM shifter fingers (2 of the three needed, I am missing one) if anyone is interested in buying them
Can you tell me if what I have will fit in a 66 GMC AND clear the bench seat? Because there's no way Im gonna use bucket seats .
T
Old 08-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #215
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Can you tell me if what I have will fit in a 66 GMC AND clear the bench seat? Because there's no way Im gonna use bucket seats .
T
Oh bro I wish I could but I have a '74 and know nothing about the first gens, wish I could help you, I know that you can get all sorts of bendy HURST shifter sticks to angle around the bench seat and stay out of the dash, the shifter does sit significantly further back and to the left (driver side) than the Muncie SM465 one

maybe some of these pics will help you out
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2016, 05:07 PM   #216
65Robb

Gregski I followed your build with the 833 that is a slick setup I too want to install one in my 65 c10
Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 AM   #217
Dazzoman

Quote:
Oh bro I wish I could but I have a '74 and know nothing about the first gens, wish I could help you, I know that you can get all sorts of bendy HURST shifter sticks to angle around the bench seat and stay out of the dash, the shifter does sit significantly further back and to the left (driver side) than the Muncie SM465 one

maybe some of these pics will help you out
OH MAN ! Cool job there ! I could live w that and it looks like I just might make it like barely .. mine is pretty simular even tho I havent laid eyes on the tranny yet as it is being shipped to me but I have that shifter for sure .An buddy said I might be able to shorten those 3 arms or maybe figure out an way to bring things right where they need to be . Maybe I wont need to .
SO how does yours perform ? Good on gas now ?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:59 AM   #218
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
OH MAN ! Cool job there ! I could live w that and it looks like I just might make it like barely .. mine is pretty simular even tho I havent laid eyes on the tranny yet as it is being shipped to me but I have that shifter for sure .An buddy said I might be able to shorten those 3 arms or maybe figure out an way to bring things right where they need to be . Maybe I wont need to .
SO how does yours perform ? Good on gas now ?
some quick feedback on my transmission / truck

awesome in overdrive on the freeway, I am going 75 MPH at 2250 RPM so nice such a big difference from the SM465 Muncie which reved way up in 3rd gear which was its direct drive, also first gear is now usuable so nice, love it

biggest problem or the only issue with it is a pesky fluid leak from the darn speedo drive, that stupid little seal, I have now bought two new ones and am running my old one and a new one so two little seals on there, the orange one is the older style and fits better but is old and tired, the black one is the new one and it is loose like a goose (kinda upset at an eBay seller who advertised the orange one in his auction and its even on that piece of paper in the pic and than shipped me the black one, sucks)

the other thing is noise, the transmission when properly filled with transmission fluid makes noise in some of the gears I forget which ones 2nd and 4th maybe, but if you let the fluid run low a little bit it's not as bad, I am not saying there is no noise I am saying its less, I run the AC Delco expensive manual transmission stuff

now to answer your question about mileage I am not done tuning my truck yet, you can check out the progress here INNOVATE DLG1 Wideband O2 Oxygen Sensor Tuning Diagnostics Logging Air Fuel Ratio etc
but last weekend I got 15 MPG fully loaded up for camping, with coolers, chairs, three bikes and a 15 foot kayak on the rack above the cab, so not bad at all for a 350 SBC climbing hills up to 4,000 feet elevation
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 08-18-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 AM   #219
Dazzoman

Quote:
some quick feedback on my transmission / truck

awesome in overdrive on the freeway, I am going 75 MPH at 2250 RPM so nice such a big difference from the SM465 Muncie which reved way up in 3rd gear which was its direct drive, also first gear is now usuable so nice, love it

biggest problem or the only issue with it is a pesky fluid leak from the darn speedo drive, that stupid little seal, I have now bought two new ones and am running my old one and a new one so two little seals on there, the orange one is the older style and fits better but is old and tired, the black one is the new one and it is loose like a goose (kinda upset at an eBay seller who advertised the orange one in his auction and its even on that piece of paper in the pic and than shipped me the black one, sucks)

the other thing is noise, the transmission when properly filled with transmission fluid makes noise in some of the gears I forget which ones 2nd and 4th maybe, but if you let the fluid run low a little bit it's not as bad, I am not saying there is no noise I am saying its less, I run the AC Delco expensive manual transmission stuff

now to answer your question about mileage I am not done tuning my truck yet, you can check out the progress here INNOVATE DLG1 Wideband O2 Oxygen Sensor Tuning Diagnostics Logging Air Fuel Ratio etc
but last weekend I got 15 MPG fully loaded up for camping, with coolers, chairs, three bikes and a 15 foot kayak on the rack above the cab, so not bad at all for a 350 SBC climbing hills up to 4,000 feet elevation
OK cool .
I was told to use regular engine oil like an 30 weight , try that maybe .
Weird about the leak .Mine has an 292 motor so we'll see what I get milage wise .
Old 08-22-2016, 09:54 AM   #220
65Robb

So which gm crossmember would this transmission use?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #221
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
So which gm crossmember would this transmission use?
depends if you are going 2WD or 4x4 I guess, but in the 2WD situation it will take the old double hump one which is great for dual exhaust as it allows for plenty of clearance, (top pic)

but it also can take the TH350 style one as well the lower rise one (second from bottom the bare metal one)

the first one is for a 4x4 and I don't have a 4x4 so I can't vouch for it

and I am missing the 5th style which is the wrap around one where the driver side wraps around the outside of the frame, can't vouch for that one either (single pic off the web)
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #222
65Robb

Ok sweet it is 2wd style an wanting to install one in a 65 c10
Old 08-23-2016, 01:21 AM   #223
Dazzoman

Quote:
Ok sweet it is 2wd style an wanting to install one in a 65 c10
Ya me too ! You better keep me in the loop here for the sake of my 66 jimmy :-)
Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #224
D13

The 4x4 cross member only works on the 4x4 version, which mounts via the T-case adaptor which replaces the rear housing that is on a 2wd.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:59 AM   #225
65Robb

Definetly keep you in the loop an that would make sense for the 4x4 crossmember do you guys knownwhat that 2wd double hump crossmemeber would come.out of an what kind of transmission mount one would use for this transmission