The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #201
Hardesty454

Re: 69 LWB Power Tour Rig

Waiting for Nother video of it running around the block!

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #202
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
Waiting for Nother video of it running around the block!
HA! I have one, I just need to edit it down, it's got a minute where basically nothing happens because, well, we're around the block!
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #203
Hardesty454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SCSS View Post
HA! I have one, I just need to edit it down, it's got a minute where basically nothing happens because, well, we're around the block!
Well get to editing brother! I've been cleaning up my frame. Just getting to where I can stand being in my garage for more than 5 minutes at a time.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:40 PM   #204
69SCSS

I'm just trying to get it out of my garage and driving! Since the last update I've driven it a bunch more. Went around the block a few times, then took it to the alignment place, only to find that the driveshaft is STILL WRONG, so I'm traking it to my friend Clint at Punk's to see if we can figure out how to make this right. The u-joint fits but the straps for the 1330 don't fit right, and the bolts are too long, even though this is supposed to be the exact right set. We're both baffled, so next week we're slapping it on the lift and going to figure the thing out... what a nightmare. The alignment guy won't touch the truck until it's fixed, and I don't blame him, how's he supposed to test drive the truck if it's not safe??? So yea, that's the next priority.

The trans seems to shift well and once it's warmed up the engine has plenty of power, and I've barely feathered the gas. I can't have gone past 1/4 throttle, if even that. Without the alignment and the engine tuned I'm not going to step on it until it's ready.

Yea saw your pics man, doing some great work. If you were closer I'd put you to work! Of course you'd just make me learn how to do it myself!
Old 07-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #205
Hardesty454

Hahaha I absolutely would. Comes with the trade I guess. I really enjoy teaching people new things.

Weird about the shaft. Let us know what happens when you figure it out. The 492 has 310hp stock so you should be plenty happy with the power. The little bit I used it I was with it anyway.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:25 PM   #206
69SCSS

Quote:
Hahaha I absolutely would. Comes with the trade I guess. I really enjoy teaching people new things.

Weird about the shaft. Let us know what happens when you figure it out. The 492 has 310hp stock so you should be plenty happy with the power. The little bit I used it I was with it anyway.
Well with the 3.73's and the 4L60's low first gear, I gotta really keep my foot on the brake to keep it from launching at idle! Wonder what it'll be like when it's not running so rich! At least now it starts reliably and runs decent. It seriously needs a tune!

The driveshaft will be like the rest of the truck, piecemeal... I'm guessing it's going to be a mix of parts at this point.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #207
Hardesty454

With your setup you should consider having a driveshaft made. It's a little expensive but worth it...

Old 07-25-2014, 12:03 AM   #208
69SCSS

Quote:
With your setup you should consider having a driveshaft made. It's a little expensive but worth it...
I actually did mostly. I had the yoke and driveshaft from the Suburban I got the trans out of, and the guy cut it down, put a 1330 yoke on it, and replaced both u-joints. he just took 3 tries to do it right... and maybe not the third time. Guess we'll find out next week. It's a nice looking piece, just wish the straps would fit right!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 06:04 PM   #209
69SCSS

Quick update. Taking the truck to Long Beach WA this weekend for the Jake the Alligator Man ( http://jakethealligatorman.com/ ) birthday show, so busted a** to get it driveable in town. Here's a list of the things I got done:

- FINALLY found the right bolts for the yoke. Driveshaft is nice and tight.
- Replaced the driver's side wheel cylinder. Damn thing was leaking inside the drum, and it took a while to clean that whole mess up. Stops nice now, no squishy pedal!
- Made my bracket for my gas filler. Not perfect, but when are first tries with making a bracket, ever? Gas cap sits almost flush with the bed side. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but is solid and works well. Used 22g flat sheet and it's decently strong, but I'll wind up making the new one of 16g and making it slightly different.
- Bolted my bed mostly together. so far the thing has had just enough bolts to stay together. I put as many in as I could without having to take the bed off.
- Added rear ground straps. Now my taillights are bright, they were a little dim, and my markers didn't want to work before. Now they do.
- Set up the choke, so now when it's cold I pull it out, give the gas pedal half a pump, and turn the key, it starts in 1-2 cranks. Much better.
- Calibrated the speedo, now it doesn't say I'm doing 60+ when I'm actually doing 25.

I'll post some pics of this weekend when I get back, and of all the changes I've made on the truck. I'll get that alignment and tune hopefully in the next 2-3 weeks, then I can start driving it more than a mile maximum!

Last edited by 69SCSS; 07-31-2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:12 PM   #210
Hardesty454

Let me see a picture of the gas filler.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:38 PM   #211
69SCSS

Quote:
Let me see a picture of the gas filler.
I'll be taking some this weekend and I'll post 'em. I'm at work now, and tomorrow morning I'm loading up to play the Fair, then heading directly to Long Beach. Gonna be a busy weekend!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #212
67ctener

The truck is coming along nice. Motor looks great I'm sure it will make that up scoot, can't wait to drive mine
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #213
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
The truck is coming along nice. Motor looks great I'm sure it will make that up scoot, can't wait to drive mine
I haven't updated this in a while because the engine wound up having a rod knock that sounds like angry monkeys with hammers. In the process of getting a crate engine and selling some of the BBC specific parts to fund it. Will do a real update sometime soon.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:34 PM   #214
69SCSS

So finally a decent update. I'll post pics of progress as I get there, but here's the scoop.
I can't find the issue with the 402. Like the distributor, I know there's something wrong, but I can't find what it is. I spent the mornings the last few days tearing it down to find out WTF was making that aweful noise... to find nothing at all in the pan but a little leftover sludge from the oil. No metal at all. The cylinder walls look fine, but compression was all even on all cylinders both times I checked before and when the guy at the tune shop checked. I started to tear down the bottom end, and realized I had spent all this time on just investigating what happened to this thing, instead of getting the truck ready for the 350 crate motor what was arriving, so I slapped the pan, front cover, and heads back on temporarily and I'm done trying to figure it out. My best guess is that all that backfiring and running retarded for so long did a bearing in. No idea, and under normal circumstances I would tear it down all the wya to find out what it is, but I need to get my truck back together. Driven it about 10 miles, that's about it.

So, I have everything but the headers and the engine here to get it back running again. The engine and headers are supposed to show up tomorrow. I'll be assembling the engine this weekend and possible dropping it in if I have time on sunday. Rob, if you're bored come on over !!!

I have Weds - Friday off so I'm going to try and get it running at least before I leave on friday morning for CA. Since I have all the parts I don't see why not... but I'm not holding my breath! Haven't had the greatest luck so far.

Here's a couple of pics of the engine and the empty engine compartment waiting for the new powerplant. Soon. Very soon it will live!!! Planning on being able to drive it to work before the end of October.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #215
Hardesty454

I'm too busy at work right now buddy. Falling apart down here. Something's tripping me out that you can't find the issue on the bb. You have my number if you issues with the install though!

Old 09-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #216
69SCSS

So I got the crate motor today, and it's sitting in the garage waiting to be assembled

I was just kidding Rob, it's kinda short notice to come up the next day! I'm thinking this swap will be pretty straight forward, considering it's all new parts. I'll have it at least in the engine compartment sunday, all I have to install before dropping it in is the flexplate, mounts, starter, and balancer, the rest I can do in the truck.

I didn't do anything today besides get it out of the crate, been sick since last night with some sort of head thing, but at least it's here!
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #217
69SCSS

Engine is in! I'm going to have to make adjustments, but that's what I figured. I"m considering sliding the mounts back in the 6 cylinder position, since I have more than enough room, and it might help me avoid having to get the driveshaft lengthened, but I"m only considering for now.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2014, 06:01 PM   #218
69SCSS

More progress. Got most of the engine assembled. I need to cut the downpipe on the pass side, it comes up too close to the header so it won't fit. Also, the shroud won't fit because of the trans cooler lines I made, so I have to modify those a bit to fit. Still have to make the fuel line from the pump to the regulator, install plugs, and find a dipstick that works for the passenger side (the one I got was for driver's side, the larger one). Got more done than I expected though.

And here's the current pics.
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM   #219
69SCSS

Here's where I'm at, just about ready to fire the thing up. Got it just about ready to go on saturday afternoon. 2nd time's a charm right?
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #220
69SCSS

And we're back in business! Did the 30 minute break in yesterday, no issues. Ran perfect for the whole time, temp gauge never went up past normal, oil pressure was steady, no smoke except the header paint (man does that stuff stink!! )
Did the oil change afterwards for the 500 mile initial period, but of course it's supposed to rain for the next week or so, looks like I'll be waiting a few days before getting it back on the road. Maybe I should just install the side trim I scored on the cab
Old 11-03-2014, 10:44 PM   #221
69SCSS

Quick update.... after an issue with the ultra flimsy Edelbrock throttle / TV Cable bracket (spoiler: it BENDS BIGTIME!) and putting the cheapie Spectre bracket back on (that works perfectly) I have been driving the truck around with the new engine. So far no issues, except my posi seems to like to stay locked. It will let go right into a turn occasionally. I know, that means I gotta tear THAT apart too but I'm running out of parts that aren't brand freakin' new!!!

Trans shifts between 2k-2.5k during normal driving, engine never gets anywhere near heating up more than 190, and the brakes seem to work. Finally, maybe I'll get something done while driving it!!!
Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #222
67chevy1series

Glad everything's finally going your way! Awesome build. I know what it's like to have a major drivetrain component just pretty much fail on you it's no fun at all..
67chevy1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #223
69SCSS

Well went thru a few things this morning and found that my noise from the back was the passenger side drum was sticking, looks like it was adjusted too tight. Backed it off and no more noise. Also found my rear brake line leaking slightly at the junction under the cab in the frame rail while I was re-torquing the collector bolts. While I was at it went thru all the brake fittings to make sure it was all tight. Drove it to the coffee shop with my wife, and it drives way better now! Helps to not have a drum dragging

Gonna drive it to work tomorrow hopefully, weather permitting.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #224
69SCSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy1series View Post
Glad everything's finally going your way! Awesome build. I know what it's like to have a major drivetrain component just pretty much fail on you it's no fun at all..
Thanks man. Yea I have no idea what happened, but I'm guessing the backfiring, the ignition advance going backwards and me not re-priming the oil pump before starting it after it sitting were the major contributors. I can't figure out any other way it could have gone south so fast. All good now, runs great and a little better every day as it breaks in!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:31 AM   #225
69SCSS

So since now I can drive it around, I'm getting to doing stuff I put off. I'm using this gauge cluster right now while I plan out and build my new one, but I wanted to make this one look a bit better in the meantime. I cleaned it up and added the lettering for the tach on the inner tin. The letters are a little too big, but it's the smallest I could find. I'm going to make an actual stencil for the final one, but this will work for now. Looks pretty decent in person.
Also got my heater mostly working and finished, and I got some plug wire routers to keep them off the headers. Going to install that tomorrow.
Got a nice steering wheel and billet adapter on now too.
Here's a pic of the cluster for now, hopefully no rain tomorrow so I can finish up and take some good pics. Planning on driving it to work tuesday.
Attached Images