The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #2251
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeshields View Post
Looking good Keith. How does it feel getting some color on, even if it's the same color as the fenders were originally.
Thanks Mike, it does feel good to spray some color on the fenders even though like you said it is the same color as the ecoat. That will change soon when I spray some slick sand on them. I spread some mud on them yesterday and I have to block them out today. Then spray some more epoxy over any bare metal. Then I will be ready for some slick sand and more blocking, yay

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #2252
fastbagged68

Put a fan in there blowing out the garage/tent. Get a cheap $5 filter and put it in front of the fan. It will suck out a lot of the fumes. I have done this a couple times. Works great. I'm build a short wall about 2' tall that my garage door will will roll down to it. In the wall in putting 3 fans. Sucking the fumes out. Should make for a decent spray booth.
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #2253
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbagged68 View Post
Put a fan in there blowing out the garage/tent. Get a cheap $5 filter and put it in front of the fan. It will suck out a lot of the fumes. I have done this a couple times. Works great. I'm build a short wall about 2' tall that my garage door will will roll down to it. In the wall in putting 3 fans. Sucking the fumes out. Should make for a decent spray booth.
Thanks, I actually have three fans with the cheap filters taped to the front of them. Definitely works good.

66 Suburban

Old 06-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #2254
Bennett68C10

Put my new spray booth to work today. I body worked the fenders and then prepped them for some more epoxy since I had some bare metal spots. I decided to run some heavy gauge wire from side to side across the tent at the top of the poles. I figured I could hang the fenders from the wire so I could spray both sides. It worked but I had an issue with the wire hanging to low and interfering with the gun. So now I have a big ole run to sand out. Still making mistakes but I guess it's the only way to learn right my second pass with the gun went much better as I moved the fenders around to avoid hitting the wires.

Pic of my body working skills, looks pretty good to me I had to smooth out the whole edge of the fender where we cut and welded it to fit better.

And my nasty run I have to sand out looks like the paint is melting off the panel. By the time I realized what was happening it was way to late. Good thing it's only primer.

66 Suburban

Old 06-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #2255
PowerdbyChevy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Got some more epoxy shot on the inside of the fenders today. I learned a lot from my last paint session, I still made a few mistakes but overall it came out pretty good. I accidentally spilled a couple drops of paint out of the top of the gun but no big deal I'll just sand them out. I also think I need to rig something up to hang the fenders instead of trying to spray them laying down.

looking good brother..
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:18 PM   #2256
67ctener

Looking good Keith. I'm pretty excited to see this on the road
90 k2500
91 s10
#chevyonly
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #2257
Bhelton

Quote:
Put my new spray booth to work today. I body worked the fenders and then prepped them for some more epoxy since I had some bare metal spots. I decided to run some heavy gauge wire from side to side across the tent at the top of the poles. I figured I could hang the fenders from the wire so I could spray both sides. It worked but I had an issue with the wire hanging to low and interfering with the gun. So now I have a big ole run to sand out. Still making mistakes but I guess it's the only way to learn right my second pass with the gun went much better as I moved the fenders around to avoid hitting the wires.

Pic of my body working skills, looks pretty good to me I had to smooth out the whole edge of the fender where we cut and welded it to fit better.

And my nasty run I have to sand out looks like the paint is melting off the panel. By the time I realized what was happening it was way to late. Good thing it's only primer.

Your killing it Keith! Like that paint booth as well, they work great don't they!
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #2258
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerdbyChevy79 View Post
looking good brother..
Thanks, trying my best to get some progress done on this thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
Looking good Keith. I'm pretty excited to see this on the road
Yeah me too, but unfortunately no matter what I do, it won't see the road until next spring/summer anyway. I just have way to many parts still to buy and way to much work to do I have to take a break from buying parts for now so I can replenish the parts fund.

66 Suburban

Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #2259
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Your killing it Keith! Like that paint booth as well, they work great don't they!
Yes sir buddy I actually got the idea from you. I saw it on your build thread and thought maybe it would work. Only one spray session so far but it's working better then the garage did.

66 Suburban

Old 06-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #2260
Bhelton

Quote:
Yes sir buddy I actually got the idea from you. I saw it on your build thread and thought maybe it would work. Only one spray session so far but it's working better then the garage did.
Just wash it down occasionally and it'll do great every time. I've put mine up for now and been busy with work and building a shop so haven't really been on much but really glad to see yours coming together!!
Bhelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #2261
sduckworth13

Looking good Keith, I'm glad that painting and body work seems like it's going pretty easy for you.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #2262
1stchevy

Looking good, I love checking up on this build and progress you've made. Very bad ass truck!
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #2263
thelonerife

Looks good. Even w/the mistakes at least your trying to get it done yourself and learn at the same time. I got impatient and let someone else do it for me. Never again.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:52 AM   #2264
YBNORML

Holy crap! It took me a while to read through the whole thread. And I thought I changed my mind a lot we must be kindred spirits or something. Great work!
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #2265
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhelton View Post
Just wash it down occasionally and it'll do great every time. I've put mine up for now and been busy with work and building a shop so haven't really been on much but really glad to see yours coming together!!
Thanks for the tip Ben, I'll try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Looking good Keith, I'm glad that painting and body work seems like it's going pretty easy for you.
Thanks Scott, but I wouldn't say it's coming easy to me. I've had a lot of frustrating days making mistakes. Plus I find it easier to just work on a few panels at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
Looking good, I love checking up on this build and progress you've made. Very bad ass truck!
Thanks, this paint and bodywork feels like it will take forever. I already have 3 weeks invested in just the front fenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonerife View Post
Looks good. Even w/the mistakes at least your trying to get it done yourself and learn at the same time. I got impatient and let someone else do it for me. Never again.
Thanks Chuck, believe me if I could afford to send it off to a body shop to have it finished up like you did, I definitely would have. It's just not in the cards for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Holy crap! It took me a while to read through the whole thread. And I thought I changed my mind a lot we must be kindred spirits or something. Great work!
That's why my build name "What was I thinking" perfectly describes my build thread I do change my mind a lot but its our trucks right, so we can change our minds all we want to.

66 Suburban

Old 06-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #2266
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

I have that same HF garage turned paint booth. Worked great when we did Korbin's truck. I did all the interior parts in it hung off wires and conduit. I strung the conduit between the sides and duct taped them to the poles. That worked better and did not sag any like the wires do.

You can always sand out the runs. Parts are looking good!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #2267
original-71
///Relaxed Atmosphere

That's why my build name "What was I thinking" perfectly describes my build thread I do change my mind a lot but its our trucks right, so we can change our minds all we want to.[/QUOTE]

looking very good might as well try the red and get all the use out of the paint booth or find a fender on craigslist or at a junk yard to practice on then you can hang it in your garage as a decoration piece.

87-Silverado Static Drop 5/7" Raceline Explosion 5 22X8.5 (F) 22X10 (R)
hector
2012 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
original-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #2268
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Looking good Keith!!

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #2269
mcbassin
Still Learning

Looks good Keith. Runs are just part of it. You Just don't want to get them in your basecoat and keep them to a minimum on your clear too. Ask me how I know......
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #2270
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
I have that same HF garage turned paint booth. Worked great when we did Korbin's truck. I did all the interior parts in it hung off wires and conduit. I strung the conduit between the sides and duct taped them to the poles. That worked better and did not sag any like the wires do.

You can always sand out the runs. Parts are looking good!
Thanks for the idea Carl, I'm definitely going to try that out for my next spray session. Wish I would have thought of that myself instead of the wires. Would have saved myself from that ridiculous run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by original-71 View Post
looking very good might as well try the red and get all the use out of the paint booth or find a fender on craigslist or at a junk yard to practice on then you can hang it in your garage as a decoration piece.
There you go Hector, trying to put things in my head I still have my original fenders and hood but don't want to spray anything on them cause I'm looking to unload them. I have been using cardboard to set up the gun with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaminchevypickup View Post
Looking good Keith!!
Thanks Kyle, wish I had your spray booth or actually I wish I had the money to ship my truck out to you to finish the paint and body. At least you would give it a paint job it deserves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Looks good Keith. Runs are just part of it. You Just don't want to get them in your basecoat and keep them to a minimum on your clear too. Ask me how I know......
Thanks Mike, it just upset me that I wouldn't have had any runs if it wasn't for the paint gun hitting the wires. That was my first run so far. But on the plus side my new spray booth worked out pretty good

66 Suburban

Old 06-29-2014, 05:14 PM   #2271
Bennett68C10

Well no progress on the truck this weekend, my wife had surgery on her shoulder on Friday so I have been playing nurse all weekend I did however talk to a painter yesterday about my truck. He is the painter at a local shop and does side jobs after hours. He's going to come over in a few weeks to look at my truck and give my an estimate. Basically what I'm looking to do is get the truck primered and all the bodywork done so all the panels are nice and straight. Then I would bring the truck to him in sections starting with the cab and front clip to spray the base and clear in his booth. While he is spraying those I would finish up my bed and bring that to him when the cab and front clip are done. I plan to keep the frame home so I can finish up my brake & fuel lines and the exhaust. To me if the price is right, it's a no brainer to have the color and clear sprayed by a professional in a booth. Of course before I say yes to anything, the price needs to be right and I would have him write up a contract.

I have already seen some of the vehicles he has painted and they are all very nice. I talked to my father yesterday and asked him his opinion and he thinks it's a good idea to let someone else spray the base and clear in a clean booth. He told me sometimes you need to bite the bullet and put the money out. So we will see how it turns out, I'm not going to say it's definitely going to happen cause you never know but it is an option. I also told the painter that I already have the PPG Torch Red DBC base and would like to use it. He had no problem with that, I don't want that money going to waste.

66 Suburban

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM   #2272
slowcpe

Looking good Keith. I keep going back and forth on myself doing the bodywork and paint or having someone else to it. I'm with you on the fact if its in the budget and you know the guy does good work, it very well may be worth it. Of course I've got a couple of years before I get to that stage.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #2273
trkfrk

Keith your paint booth came out nice.. Sounds like you've got your prioritys in order ( taking care of the wife).
I can't wait to see some paint on it. I know it's a hard decion to have someone else spray it but go with your gut. Keep the pics coming..

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #2274
Bennett68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
Looking good Keith. I keep going back and forth on myself doing the bodywork and paint or having someone else to it. I'm with you on the fact if its in the budget and you know the guy does good work, it very well may be worth it. Of course I've got a couple of years before I get to that stage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trkfrk View Post
Keith your paint booth came out nice.. Sounds like you've got your prioritys in order ( taking care of the wife).
I can't wait to see some paint on it. I know it's a hard decion to have someone else spray it but go with your gut. Keep the pics coming..
Thanks guys I'm not definite that I'm going to go this direction, it all depends on the details and most importantly how much he wants to spray it. I'm going to try spraying some things on my own like the core support and radiator cover and see how it goes. I figure if I screw them up then no big deal, just sand it off and nobody will ever know, except you guys If the red lays down nice and the clear looks good then I might just try it on my own before paying somebody but if I feel I'm in over my head with the paint then I'll bite the bullet and pay a shop to do it.

66 Suburban

Old 06-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #2275
Rochlow

That was my dilema with painting my truck. Do I try to balance overtime and working on my truck (which would have taken 6-8 months, if not more) or do I work a bunch of overtime to pay a professional to do the work better and in a more timely fashion that I could.

After weighing a bunch of options, it was knuckle down and work some overtime, then let someone else paint it. Even after letting someone else do the paint and body, it took them a month. However, I'm pretty happy with the results. He still has a few pieces that he's painting, but atleast I have the truck itself back in my possession.